PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Shelby


mb from pa
April 8th 07, 04:21 AM
Hello everyone. I am new here. My name is Mary. I have 3 cats
Mischief (who lives up to her name), Shelby and Fluffy. They drive us
all crazy, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
Shelby is acting a little bit funny. She seems to be licking her
bottom constantly. I also noticed today that she has a funny odor.
She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of energy either. I plan on
calling the vet to make an appointment.
Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any of you have the same
experience?

Mary

J&T
April 8th 07, 07:34 AM
Worms maybe ?

I think I remember reading somewhere that they get an itchy butt when
infested with worms ?

Could be way off though.



"mb from pa" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone. I am new here. My name is Mary. I have 3 cats
> Mischief (who lives up to her name), Shelby and Fluffy. They drive us
> all crazy, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
> Shelby is acting a little bit funny. She seems to be licking her
> bottom constantly. I also noticed today that she has a funny odor.
> She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of energy either. I plan on
> calling the vet to make an appointment.
> Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any of you have the same
> experience?
>
> Mary
>

Wendy
April 8th 07, 11:41 AM
"mb from pa" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello everyone. I am new here. My name is Mary. I have 3 cats
> Mischief (who lives up to her name), Shelby and Fluffy. They drive us
> all crazy, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
> Shelby is acting a little bit funny. She seems to be licking her
> bottom constantly. I also noticed today that she has a funny odor.
> She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of energy either. I plan on
> calling the vet to make an appointment.
> Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any of you have the same
> experience?
>
> Mary
>

Could be a problem with the anal glands or worms as already mentioned. Can't
think of anything else off hand but I'm not a vet. Let us know what the vet
finds.

W

sheelagh
April 8th 07, 01:24 PM
On 8 Apr, 04:21, "mb from pa" > wrote:
> Hello everyone. I am new here. My name is Mary. I have 3 cats
> Mischief (who lives up to her name), Shelby and Fluffy. They drive us
> all crazy, but we wouldn't have it any other way.
> Shelby is acting a little bit funny. She seems to be licking her
> bottom constantly. I also noticed today that she has a funny odor.
> She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of energy either. I plan on
> calling the vet to make an appointment.
> Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any of you have the same
> experience?
>
> Mary

Hi Mary & welcome to the group.

Can you tell me if Shelby is a female please & also whether she is
spayed, or not?
If "she is not", then I have a feeling I know what it might be...
( But I am not a vet & you must seek assistance with this)

The reason I ask this is because one of my own cats Lilly, seal point
Birman had a suspiciously similar set of symptoms recently & I took
her straight to the vet , because I "knew", like you do, that there
was something not at all right there. She was constantly turning
around and licking away at her rear end, she was lethargic, & she had
that dull eyed look too, So TAKE ACTION RIGHT NOW PLEASE?

Upon arriving there, the vet squeezed her anal glands & some nasty
dirty jelly like substance shot out...

In the end, it turned out that Lilly had a case of Pyometra.

I had no idea what Pyometra was until one of my own cats was diagnosed
with it, so you probably have no idea what it is either.

Pyometra is an infection of the womb. It is a serious infection, & if
not treated, can be fatal to the cat, because eventually the infection
spreads to become septicemia,
So PLEASE take your cat to the vet.

I am all too aware that it is a bank holiday weekend, but if this is
what I think she might have, she needs to be seen ASAP. Do not delay
because the infection is terrible.
My circumstances were different to yours, because my vet delayed
taking action, & we almost lost my cat..
The cure is fairly simple as long as you treat her without delay. She
will need antibiotics & probably spaying too IF I AM RIGHT...

I *don't mean or intend to frighten you*, but I am also aware that any
delay in getting her to a vet, might cost both you and her, her life.
Al;so, the quicker you get her to a vet, the sooner you can treat the
infection & the less it will cost you- another good reason to get
there ASAP

Please do come back and let us know what happened?

I very much hope that I am wrong, but if not, then you will be saving
your faithful friends life.
Good Luck!
S;o)

Lynne
April 8th 07, 01:52 PM
on Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:57 GMT, "mb from pa" > wrote:

> Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any of you have the same
> experience?

As has been suggested, I think worms or an anal sac problem. If she isn't
spayed, pyometra is another possibility. Be sure to bring a very fresh
stool sample with you to the vet, even if they don't remind you to do so.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
April 8th 07, 02:11 PM
On 8 Apr, 13:52, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:57 GMT, "mb from pa" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone have any idea what this might be? Any of you have the same
> > experience?
>
> As has been suggested, I think worms or an anal sac problem. If she isn't
> spayed, pyometra is another possibility. Be sure to bring a very fresh
> stool sample with you to the vet, even if they don't remind you to do so.
>
> --
> Lynne

Good thinking Lynne
S;o)

Doug Bashford
April 10th 07, 03:25 PM
On 8 Apr 2007 06:11:28 -0700, sheelagh said about:
Re: What's wrong with Shelby


> On 8 Apr, 13:52, Lynne > wrote:

> > As has been suggested, I think worms or an anal sac problem. If she isn't
> > spayed, pyometra is another possibility. Be sure to bring a very fresh
> > stool sample with you to the vet, even if they don't remind you to do so.
> >
> > --
> > Lynne
>
> Good thinking Lynne

Ya. Sometimes (pin?) worm strings dangle from the anus.
A cat "sledding" her butt on the carpet is one other possible symptom.
Sometimes you can find them yourself in the stools...
disolve them in water if you are brave.

Some people squeeze the anal sacs regularly as normal
maintenance. Vets or AHTs do this at each checkup. A cat
needs to sprint regularly, pehaps daily, and this
will have a similar effect of purging the anal glands.
This is one reason why I have two cats: they cause sprints.

Take a fresh stool to the vet with yer cat.
It sounds like you have several problems.
Lethargy is a serious, often deadly symptom.
Same with "funny odor," as in; "infection."

Is yer cat still alive?
--Doug

--

When one gains a political certainty akin to
a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final
tranquility of servitude, a joyous slavery.


"If ye love wealth better than liberty,
the tranquility of servitude better than
the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that ye were
our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776

sheelagh
April 10th 07, 04:15 PM
On 10 Apr, 15:25, (Doug Bashford) wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2007 06:11:28 -0700, sheelagh said about:
> Re: What's wrong with Shelby
>
> > On 8 Apr, 13:52, Lynne > wrote:
> > > As has been suggested, I think worms or an anal sac problem. If she isn't
> > > spayed, pyometra is another possibility. Be sure to bring a very fresh
> > > stool sample with you to the vet, even if they don't remind you to do so.
>
> > > --
> > > Lynne
>
> > Good thinking Lynne
>
> Ya. Sometimes (pin?) worm strings dangle from the anus.
> A cat "sledding" her butt on the carpet is one other possible symptom.
> Sometimes you can find them yourself in the stools...
> disolve them in water if you are brave.
>
> Some people squeeze the anal sacs regularly as normal
> maintenance. Vets or AHTs do this at each checkup. A cat
> needs to sprint regularly, pehaps daily, and this
> will have a similar effect of purging the anal glands.
> This is one reason why I have two cats: they cause sprints.
>
> Take a fresh stool to the vet with yer cat.
> It sounds like you have several problems.
> Lethargy is a serious, often deadly symptom.
> Same with "funny odor," as in; "infection."
>
> Is yer cat still alive?
> --Doug
>
> --
>
> When one gains a political certainty akin to
> a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final
> tranquility of servitude, a joyous slavery.
>
> "If ye love wealth better than liberty,
> the tranquility of servitude better than
> the animating contest of freedom,
> go home from us in peace.
> We ask not your counsels or arms.
> Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
> May your chains set lightly upon you,
> and may posterity forget that ye were
> our countrymen."
> - Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776

I found it rather worrying that we didn't hear anything else too.
I hope to god that I didn't frighten her off, because that was never
my intention as I pointed out to her, both personally & privately
too....

I gave her a few numbers to try if she needed assistance with bills &
reassured her that with prompt treatment that the cat's vet bills
would be far less than they would be if she ignored it in the hope
that it would wait until after the Easter Break...
With any luck, she did take her & Shelby is fine now. I also pointed
out that Shelby wouldn't be so ill as she would have been had it gone
as far as Pyometra...
Lets Hope, hey?
S;o)

mb from pa
April 15th 07, 06:38 PM
Sorry I haven't written, but I have been really busy. I took Shelby
to the vet on Monday, and it seems she is have problemns going to the
bathroom and keeping herself clean (she is heavy for her size and dark
brown in color). Vet shaved her butt and gave us antibiotics and a
cream. She told us that we should use a baby wipe on her once a day.
(I thought I was done that 12 years ago). We were supposed to get a
urine sample, but that has been impossible. The vet gave us crystals
that do not absorb urine to put in the bottom of the cat box instead
of litter. We would be able to just pour the urine into a container.
Of course Shelby would not urinate for use. Any suggestions on any
other way to get her urine? We take here back tomorrow for a checkup.
Other than that, she is acting fine.
Will let you know how everything is.

Mary
Wil

mb from pa
April 15th 07, 06:54 PM
On Apr 10, 11:15 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> On 10 Apr, 15:25, (Doug Bashford) wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 8 Apr 2007 06:11:28 -0700, sheelagh said about:
> > Re: What'swrongwithShelby
>
> > > On 8 Apr, 13:52, Lynne > wrote:
> > > > As has been suggested, I think worms or an anal sac problem. If she isn't
> > > > spayed, pyometra is another possibility. Be sure to bring a very fresh
> > > > stool sample with you to the vet, even if they don't remind you to do so.
>
> > > > --
> > > > Lynne
>
> > > Good thinking Lynne
>
> > Ya. Sometimes (pin?) worm strings dangle from the anus.
> > A cat "sledding" her butt on the carpet is one other possible symptom.
> > Sometimes you can find them yourself in the stools...
> > disolve them in water if you are brave.
>
> > Some people squeeze the anal sacs regularly as normal
> > maintenance. Vets or AHTs do this at each checkup. A cat
> > needs to sprint regularly, pehaps daily, and this
> > will have a similar effect of purging the anal glands.
> > This is one reason why I have two cats: they cause sprints.
>
> > Take a fresh stool to the vet with yer cat.
> > It sounds like you have several problems.
> > Lethargy is a serious, often deadly symptom.
> > Same with "funny odor," as in; "infection."
>
> > Is yer cat still alive?
> > --Doug
>
> > --
>
> > When one gains a political certainty akin to
> > a loyal sports fan, one has achieved the final
> > tranquility of servitude, a joyous slavery.
>
> > "If ye love wealth better than liberty,
> > the tranquility of servitude better than
> > the animating contest of freedom,
> > go home from us in peace.
> > We ask not your counsels or arms.
> > Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
> > May your chains set lightly upon you,
> > and may posterity forget that ye were
> > our countrymen."
> > - Samuel Adams, August 1, 1776
>
> I found it rather worrying that we didn't hear anything else too.
> I hope to god that I didn't frighten her off, because that was never
> my intention as I pointed out to her, both personally & privately
> too....
>
> I gave her a few numbers to try if she needed assistance with bills &
> reassured her that with prompt treatment that the cat's vet bills
> would be far less than they would be if she ignored it in the hope
> that it would wait until after the Easter Break...
> With any luck, she did take her &Shelbyis fine now. I also pointed
> out thatShelbywouldn't be so ill as she would have been had it gone
> as far as Pyometra...
> Lets Hope, hey?
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Don't know what is wrong, but I replied earlier today and it never
showed up. Anyway, I did take her to the vet on Monday. Seems Shelby
has a problem with going to the bathroom and keeping herself clean
(she is overweight and dark brown in color) Vet shaved her butt some
and gave us a cream and antibiotics. She told us we will probably
have to wipe her with baby wipes as least once a day. (I thought I was
done with wiping butts 12 years ago). We were supposed to get a urine
sample from Shelby, but have had no luck. The vet had given us
crystals to put in her litterbox instead of litter. The crystals are
non-absorbent, so we could pour the urine into a container, but Shelby
will not use it. We had to leave her out of the bathroom and of
course she used the regular litterbox. Any suggestions on how to get
some urine? Other than that, Shelby is doing fine. We take her back
to the vet tomorrow for a checkup. Will keep you posted on what is
going on.
Mary

Lynne
April 15th 07, 07:01 PM
on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:54:29 GMT, "mb from pa" > wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to get
> some urine?

How cooperative is she with the vet? They could do a cystocentesis, where
they insert a needle into her bladder through her abdomen, guided by
ultrasound, and collect a sterile urine sample. It isn't as bad as it
sounds, but some animals need to be sedated for it (not knocked out,
though). Or you could just leave her at the vet for a day and they usually
somehow manage to collect it.

--
Lynne

mb from pa
April 15th 07, 10:16 PM
On Apr 15, 2:01 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:54:29 GMT, "mb from pa" > wrote:
>
I'm sorry I posted 2 times today with the same info. I also sent an
email stating my replies were not posting. I did not realize it took
a while for them to post.

When we go to the vet tomorrow, I will see if they can do something to
get her urine. I will be trying again tonight, but I doubt it will
work. How long can cats hold their urine? I thought I read somewhere
that it can be for a long while.

T
April 16th 07, 05:55 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:54:29 GMT, "mb from pa" > wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions on how to get
>> some urine?
>
> How cooperative is she with the vet? They could do a cystocentesis, where
> they insert a needle into her bladder through her abdomen, guided by
> ultrasound, and collect a sterile urine sample. It isn't as bad as it
> sounds, but some animals need to be sedated for it (not knocked out,
> though). Or you could just leave her at the vet for a day and they usually
> somehow manage to collect it.
>
I second that. One of my cats was at the vet's for a checkup and the
vet mentioned urinalysis. I asked, "How are you going to get the
urine?" and the vet replied, "We stick a needle into the bladder and
withdraw some." Now this cat is not the most cooperative cat in the
world but they had absolutely no problem getting some urine that way.