PDA

View Full Version : Bite wounds (pic)

Adrian
April 8th 07, 07:16 AM
http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg

She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
an amazing pain threshold.

Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
constantly.

cybercat
April 8th 07, 09:12 AM
"Adrian" > wrote in message
m...

> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do?

Keep her in, you ass.

Satisfy your freakish need for violence yourself and leave your
cat out of it.

Wendy
April 8th 07, 11:39 AM
"Adrian" > wrote in message
m...

> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with an
> amazing pain threshold.
>
> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

Wrong! She doesn't love to go outside and FIGHT. She enjoys outside, I'm
sure she'd be just as happy to pass on the fighting part TYVM. Build her an
enclosure where she can safely get some air or be the adult and keep her
inside for her own good. You do realize, I hope, that she can pick up feline
AIDS and Leukemia while fighting. If you continue to permit her to engage in
this dangerous behavior she will end up with an abscess eventually. An
abscess can require an overnight at least at the vet after the surgery
required to drain and clean them out. A lot of wear and tear on the cat as
well as your wallet that is totally avoidable.

Next question: Is she spayed?

Joe Canuck
April 8th 07, 03:21 PM
Adrian wrote:

> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
> an amazing pain threshold.
>
> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act... keeping
them indoors.

I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed to
a lot of dangers outside.

If you want to minimize that keep her inside.

sheelagh
April 8th 07, 03:59 PM
On 8 Apr, 07:16, Adrian > wrote:
> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
> an amazing pain threshold.
>
> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

I am amazed that you still have a pet cat in all honesty. It somehow
doesn't ring true IMHO.
If any vet that I know saw that, they would have at the very least
have provided a course of antibiotics to ensure that the wound healed
without a bacterial infection as well as pain meds, because abscess's
are extremely painful as you well know.

I suspect that the abscess has burst on it's own through the poor cat
agitating it through licking and nibbling at it because of the pain it
is causing.
Only one of my cats has ever had an abscess like that one & I can
assure you that my vet didn't wish me well and throw me out the door
with a nod of amazement..!!

Get your poor cat back to the vets surgery asap & make sure that you
get that seen to, then don't allow her out again..Because to my
detriment, I know exactly what happens when you allow your cat to roam
free. This time you were lucky.
Next time, I wonder if her pain threshold will tolerate a few BB gun
pellets through the face and leg?
Mine certainly didn't..

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but I am not telling you this for the
sake of it.
I recently nearly lost my cat to both BB pellets and an abbess on the
face that resulted because of those pellets.

Build her a nice outdoor pen, & she will get used to it, HONESTLY- &
will still allow her to go out and catch some rays, but in
safety...Imagine the pain you would feel if that bite was on your
back?

You also need to think about rabies, and all other manner of
possibilities that she might have been infected with too.
Do yourself a favour, & her one too, PLEASE?
THANK YOU
S;o)

Tanada
April 8th 07, 04:04 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message

> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act... keeping
> them indoors.
>
> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed to a
> lot of dangers outside.
>
> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.

At least Adrian took her to the vet, a lot of Gomers don't.

We built a 12' X 16' X 9' enclosure for our cats as we didn't want them to
be endangered by anyone. One of our neighbors tried to claim that our cats
were putting scratches on their car. When I pointed out to them that we
kept our cats indoors, they said that the cats COULD have come outside and
did the scratches. I pointed out the large population of strays that were
in the neighborhood at the time and was told that I was trying to pass the
buck. For sanity's sake an enclosure was planned and built within a month.
Our first year here, we found homes for at least 12 cats that had been
roaming around the area. There are still a few that come around, but they
all look like they have homes. We don't encourage them, and our owners have
their own outside playroom, so they don't have to worry as much about
getting attacked or close to those with diseases.

Funny note. We're in a suburb of a small city. Our housing area is fenced
in around all sides with other housing areas abutting the fences. We live
on the edge of the neighborhood, with one of the border fences as part of
our back yard. We came home once and found that someone had gone into the
cat enclosure and tried to break into our house using the cat entrance to
our bedroom window. Glad the dumb fool didn't get stuck in there. The cats
were pretty freaked out by the ordeal, except QC. We suspect that our big
baby probably visited the would be burglar and let him know that she loved
him.

Pam S.

sheelagh
April 8th 07, 04:09 PM
On 8 Apr, 07:16, Adrian > wrote:
> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
> an amazing pain threshold.
>
> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

On second thoughts.. It is wrong of me to doubt your integrity, & I
apologize wholeheartedly too.

If you took your cat to see a vet and he patted you on the back and
sent you home, I would get yourself a second opinion, because I
honestly can't believe that any self respecting vet would send you
away with no treatment...I am shocked!!

Whilst I accept that she is keeping it clean, It does sound rather
neglectful of them not to at least give you antibiotics, pain meds &
possibly bloods too, to ensure that she didn't pick up any nasty in
that wound...

It is a deep wound & who knows what bit her?

Let us know how you got on please?
S;o)

Adrian
April 8th 07, 04:14 PM
sheelagh wrote:

> If you took your cat to see a vet and he patted you on the back and
> sent you home, I would get yourself a second opinion, because I
> honestly can't believe that any self respecting vet would send you
> away with no treatment...I am shocked!!

Of course he gave me antibiotics (in fact he gave her a shot), but he
didnt have to drain the wound cause the cat took care of that by herself

cybercat
April 8th 07, 04:43 PM
"Adrian" > wrote in message
m...
> sheelagh wrote:
>>
>> If you took your cat to see a vet and he patted you on the back and
>> sent you home, I would get yourself a second opinion, because I
>> honestly can't believe that any self respecting vet would send you
>> away with no treatment...I am shocked!!
>
> Of course he gave me antibiotics (in fact he gave her a shot), but he
> didnt have to drain the wound cause the cat took care of that by herself

Probably she licked it because it hurt so much, you idiot. Take your cat to
a shelter so that someone sensible might adopt her.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
April 8th 07, 05:08 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>

>> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>>
>> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>>
>> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough
>> with an amazing pain threshold.
>>
>> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
>> constantly.
>

> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act... keeping
> them indoors.
>
> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed to
> a lot of dangers outside.
>
> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.

Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors
and not allowed to play with other children. That does NOT
mean it's the optimum way of raising them. Cats have a way
of sorting things out among themselves, and establishing a
neighborhood "pecking order". Aside from in-house
disagreements (which you'll have occasionally anyway, if you
have more than one cat), spayed female cats will only fight
to defend their territory. Once established, you'll
probably see no more fights.

I don't mean to open the same old controversy yet again, but
please realize there are two (perfectly valid) schools of
thought about indoor vs. outdoor. Only you know the
circumstances where you live, and must decide for yourself
which is best for your feline family. Just don't preach to
the rest of us, as though the only people who care about
their cats are the ones who force them to be indoor only!

sheelagh
April 8th 07, 05:20 PM
On 8 Apr, 16:14, Adrian > wrote:
> sheelagh wrote:
>
> > If you took your cat to see a vet and he patted you on the back and
> > sent you home, I would get yourself a second opinion, because I
> > honestly can't believe that any self respecting vet would send you
> > away with no treatment...I am shocked!!
>
> Of course he gave me antibiotics (in fact he gave her a shot), but he
> didnt have to drain the wound cause the cat took care of that by herself

Oh Good;o)

I am so pleased to hear that & thank you so much for letting ,me know
too. I appreciate that no end.

If I explain myself as I should have done in the first instance, you
will understand my concern.

I recently had a cat with Pyometra (puss filled womb!).
Obviously I couldn't see this, but I did notice that she was looking
miserable so I took her just to be on the safe side.
I was told to bring her back the next morning, which I did of course.

To cut a very long miserable story short, the vet didn't treat her
then took nearly 48 hours off work for personal reasons, & had my cat
locked in her surgery & I wasn't able to access her or remove her from
the premises either. She wasn't fed or watered for over 36 hours, &
when the vet returned to work She was @ deaths door.
The vet apologized of course, then proceeded to tell me that she
wanted to operate on her immediately, but that the prognosis wasn't
very optimistic about the prognosis or outcome. (surprise surprise?!!)

Fortunately, for both Lilly & ourselves, she did get through it, but
no thanks to the vet who left her in that condition...The moment that
it was possible for us to remove her, we did & took her to a
recommended vet a few miles further away, but one that we felt we
could trust.

More recently, we also had one of our males shot by a BB gun, by a
pair of young youths, who callously shot him @ near point blank range.
He was a stray that moved in with us last Xmas. I don't normally allow
my cats to stray, but on this particular day, I let him out into the
back garden, & he wandered off to the meadow behind our house where I
take them all on reins....

We noticed him missing @ meal time, & when we went looking for him, we
found him in the meadow on his side, panting for breath. He had been
shot & was in a very bad way. He spent over a week @ the vets surgery
& developed an infection in the facial wound...
All of this happend to Ringo because I allowed him to wonder off...

In the past, I used to allow all of our cats the freedom they wanted,
but now that I have been through a vet that let me & the cat down
terribly, & a cat that was shot for no reason other than kids getting
a kick out of it...I feel differently...

Consequently I worry terribly when I hear stories where a vet doesn't
seem to have attended their patient, or cats that have become victims
of other predators or pure wickedness, I see bright red...

I apologize in full for being so quick to judge, & also without asking
the particulars of the case, before I put both feet in my mouth & let
rip @ full pelt. I am v.sorry indeed...

I'm delighted to hear that she did get the attention that she needed,
& sorry that I jumped to conclusion. I understand your reasons for
allowing her to roam where she wants to & respect your wishes.. & it
is not for me to tell you what is best for her either.
However, I still would ask you to consider building her a run, our
surrounding your garden so that no one else or any other predator can
ever get to her again. Even now, I feel odd advising you to do this,
because I used to allow mine where they wished to go too..
But after recent experiences, I have reconsidered, not least because
of the vet bills involved, & the reality of loosing them both came so
near to actually happening, that I was forced to reconsider my
options.

I truely am sorry if I sounded like an overbearing old Hag...
It certainly wasn't my intention. It was the sight of the wound that
set me off & lack of information, that I failed to ask for.

Apologize and soothing purrs for the Bruiser cruiser on your block,
lol;o)
S;o)

Joe Canuck
April 8th 07, 05:57 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

> Joe Canuck wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>

>>> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>>>
>>> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough
>>> with an amazing pain threshold.
>>>
>>> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning
>>> it constantly.
>>

>> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act...
>> keeping them indoors.
>>
>> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed
>> to a lot of dangers outside.
>>
>> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>
> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors and not
> allowed to play with other children. That does NOT mean it's the
> optimum way of raising them. Cats have a way of sorting things out
> among themselves, and establishing a neighborhood "pecking order".
> Aside from in-house disagreements (which you'll have occasionally
> anyway, if you have more than one cat), spayed female cats will only
> fight to defend their territory. Once established, you'll probably see
> no more fights.
>
> I don't mean to open the same old controversy yet again, but please
> realize there are two (perfectly valid) schools of thought about indoor
> vs. outdoor. Only you know the circumstances where you live, and must
> decide for yourself which is best for your feline family. Just don't
> preach to the rest of us, as though the only people who care about their
> cats are the ones who force them to be indoor only!

We are talking about cats, not kids.

Will in New Haven
April 8th 07, 06:20 PM
On Apr 8, 2:16 am, Adrian > wrote:
> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
> an amazing pain threshold.

She probably does love to go outside but it is very possible that she
is being forced to fight. It might be a good idea to build her an
enclosure or, failing that, keep her inside. If there are cats, or
even A cat, in the neighborhood who attack her, she might need to be
kept in. Catfights can lead to serious injury or death and also can
spread disease.

The "indoor-only" fascists on this ng will get on your case and I hate
to side with them. However, I favor letting cats outdoors only in very
safe environments and yours is not. Glad your vet gave you antibiotics
for her and good luck to you and her, whatever you decide.

Will in New Haven

--

"Never try to outstubborn a cat." - Robert Heinlein
"I am not stubborn, Mr. Heinlein, I am just in charge." - Feather

> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

mlbriggs
April 8th 07, 07:17 PM
On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 02:16:46 -0400, Adrian wrote:

> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
> an amazing pain threshold.
>
> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

Many years ago, we lost our Ginger (20 lbs Tom) to an abscess that refused
to heal -- an overwhelming infection. MLB

jmcquown
April 8th 07, 08:49 PM
Adrian wrote:
> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough
> with an amazing pain threshold.
>
> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> constantly.

OUCH! I say, OUCH!!

jmcquown
April 8th 07, 08:55 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
> Joe Canuck wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>

>>> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>>>
>>> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough
>>> with an amazing pain threshold.
>>>
>>> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning
>>> it constantly.
>>

>> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act...
>> keeping them indoors.
>>
>> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is
>> exposed to a lot of dangers outside.
>>
>> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>
> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors
> and not allowed to play with other children. That does NOT
> mean it's the optimum way of raising them.

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Cats are not CHILDREN. They don't know to look
both ways and hold mommy's hand when crossing the street.

You're all for cats just hanging out outside, regardless of the dangers,
because they are cats. Screw it if they get hurt or killed that way, right?
They're just being cats, right? I told you last week about a cat I saw
laying dead by the side of the road, hit by a car, but you still insist they
should run loose. Sometimes you make no sense whatsoever.

Jill

April 8th 07, 10:17 PM
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Wendy > wrote:

[snip]

Why did the OP have to crosspost? I don't want to read this drivel.
We don't engage in the inside/outside debate on RPCA.

Off to kill the thread...

Joyce

Wendy
April 8th 07, 11:06 PM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message

> Joe Canuck wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>

>>> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>>>
>>> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
>>> an amazing pain threshold.
>>>
>>> Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
>>> constantly.
>>

>> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act... keeping
>> them indoors.
>>
>> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed to
>> a lot of dangers outside.
>>
>> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>
> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors and not
> allowed to play with other children. That does NOT mean it's the optimum
> way of raising them. Cats have a way of sorting things out among
> themselves, and establishing a neighborhood "pecking order". Aside from
> in-house disagreements (which you'll have occasionally anyway, if you have
> more than one cat), spayed female cats will only fight to defend their
> territory. Once established, you'll probably see no more fights.
>
> I don't mean to open the same old controversy yet again, but please
> realize there are two (perfectly valid) schools of thought about indoor
> vs. outdoor. Only you know the circumstances where you live, and must
> decide for yourself which is best for your feline family. Just don't
> preach to the rest of us, as though the only people who care about their
> cats are the ones who force them to be indoor only!

Do you want to take a increasingly large risk of your cat contracting FIV or
FeLV? My vet told me just recently that the latest information he has gotten
is that they are finding around 25% of the stray cats being brought in to be
tested are testing positive for FeLV. My own experience with a suburban
colony is consistent with those numbers. There are areas in the city that we
rescue cats from where it's more like 50/50 and other areas that are closer
to 100%. It's out there and I for one don't want to leave my cats at risk to
contract a disease that is totally preventable.

The OP wrote about his cat who had been fighting. This isn't whether Fluffy
knows to look both ways before crossing the street or not. This is a cat
engaging in behavior that can spread a disease that will kill it. It's
obvious that the OP's cat lives in an area where there are other cats
permitted to roam freely and are inclined to fight.

April 8th 07, 11:38 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message
>>

>> Joe Canuck wrote:

>>> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act... keeping
>>> them indoors.
>>>
>>> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed to
>>> a lot of dangers outside.
>>>
>>> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>>
>> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors and not
>> allowed to play with other children. That does NOT mean it's the optimum
>> way of raising them. Cats have a way of sorting things out among
>> themselves, and establishing a neighborhood "pecking order". Aside from
>> in-house disagreements (which you'll have occasionally anyway, if you
>> have more than one cat), spayed female cats will only fight to defend
>> their territory. Once established, you'll probably see no more fights.
>>
>> I don't mean to open the same old controversy yet again, but please
>> realize there are two (perfectly valid) schools of thought about indoor
>> vs. outdoor. Only you know the circumstances where you live, and must
>> decide for yourself which is best for your feline family. Just don't
>> preach to the rest of us, as though the only people who care about their
>> cats are the ones who force them to be indoor only!
>

> Do you want to take a increasingly large risk of your cat contracting FIV
> or FeLV?

She doesn't care, Wendy. These idiots are of the "Be Fwee Wild Thing Even
If It Shortens Your Life" mindset.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
April 9th 07, 12:29 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>

>> Joe Canuck wrote:

>>> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act...
>>> keeping them indoors.
>>>
>>> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed
>>> to a lot of dangers outside.
>>>
>>> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>>

>> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors and not
>> allowed to play with other children. That does NOT mean it's the
>> optimum way of raising them. Cats have a way of sorting things out
>> among themselves, and establishing a neighborhood "pecking order".
>> Aside from in-house disagreements (which you'll have occasionally
>> anyway, if you have more than one cat), spayed female cats will only
>> fight to defend their territory. Once established, you'll probably
>> see no more fights.
>>
>> I don't mean to open the same old controversy yet again, but please
>> realize there are two (perfectly valid) schools of thought about
>> indoor vs. outdoor. Only you know the circumstances where you live,
>> and must decide for yourself which is best for your feline family.
>> Just don't preach to the rest of us, as though the only people who
>> care about their cats are the ones who force them to be indoor only!
>

> We are talking about cats, not kids.

Some of us regard both the same, except that unlike
children, the cats don't grow up and leave home. (From many
observations posted to these newsgroups, cats on their own
generally exhibit more common sense than kids, too!)

Wendy
April 9th 07, 12:30 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Wendy" > wrote in message

>>> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors and not
>>> allowed to play with other children. That does NOT mean it's the
>>> optimum way of raising them. Cats have a way of sorting things out
>>> among themselves, and establishing a neighborhood "pecking order".
>>> Aside from in-house disagreements (which you'll have occasionally
>>> anyway, if you have more than one cat), spayed female cats will only
>>> fight to defend their territory. Once established, you'll probably see
>>> no more fights.
>>>
>>> I don't mean to open the same old controversy yet again, but please
>>> realize there are two (perfectly valid) schools of thought about indoor
>>> vs. outdoor. Only you know the circumstances where you live, and must
>>> decide for yourself which is best for your feline family. Just don't
>>> preach to the rest of us, as though the only people who care about their
>>> cats are the ones who force them to be indoor only!
>>

>> Do you want to take a increasingly large risk of your cat contracting FIV
>> or FeLV?
>
> She doesn't care, Wendy. These idiots are of the "Be Fwee Wild Thing Even
> If It Shortens Your Life" mindset.

Yea well, there is fencing material available that will keep Fluffy in and
the others out. Fluffy still gets to hunt mice and get tapeworm but isn't
subjected to the danger of the neighborhood stray out for a good time.

Charlie Wilkes
April 9th 07, 12:41 AM
Why is this miserable saga being cross-posted to RPCH+B? Our group is
such a happy little place and it's a shame to see it invaded by rancorous
nitwits from RPCA.

I think I'm gonna file a few abuse reports and cry myself to sleep.

Charlie

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:55:26 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>> Joe Canuck wrote:

>>> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act...
>>> keeping them indoors.
>>>
>>> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is exposed
>>> to a lot of dangers outside.
>>>
>>> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>>
>> Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors and not
>> allowed to play with other children. That does NOT mean it's the
>> optimum way of raising them.
>
> Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Cats are not CHILDREN. They don't know to
> look both ways and hold mommy's hand when crossing the street.
>
> You're all for cats just hanging out outside, regardless of the dangers,
> because they are cats. Screw it if they get hurt or killed that way,
> right? They're just being cats, right? I told you last week about a cat
> I saw laying dead by the side of the road, hit by a car, but you still
> insist they should run loose. Sometimes you make no sense whatsoever.
>
> Jill

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
April 9th 07, 12:48 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>
>>Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors
>>and not allowed to play with other children. That does NOT
>>mean it's the optimum way of raising them.
>

> Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Cats are not CHILDREN. They don't know to look
> both ways and hold mommy's hand when crossing the street.

From what I've observed, cats don't NEED to "hold mommy's
hand when crossing the street". It's true they CAN be run
over (often by motorists who deliberately accelerate to hit
them), but unless there is a great deal of heavy traffic,
cats are generally more cautious than children are about
such things.

> You're all for cats just hanging out outside, regardless of the dangers,
> because they are cats.

Not exactly - mine have always been given the choice, if I
lived where they could be allowed out. I even had one who
CHOSE to be indoor only, and freaked out if she found
herself outside for any reason.

> Screw it if they get hurt or killed that way, right?
> They're just being cats, right? I told you last week about a cat I saw
> laying dead by the side of the road, hit by a car, but you still insist they
> should run loose.

I have also said it depends upon the individual
circumstances, and each of us must judge those for our own
furry families. Yes, cats get run over - so do dogs,
squirrels, rabbits, skunks, deer, and the occasional human.
I am one who values quality of life over quantity, so
when I live in comparatively "safe" areas where they may
hunt and play in gardens, my cats are allowed to CHOOSE
their lifestyles. (After all, life is a fatal disease - no
living thing escapes it alive.)

> Sometimes you make no sense whatsoever.

Meaning you disagree, and will admit of no possible argument
that supports any viewpoint but your own. (You and that
moron in the White House appear to have that trait in common!)

bookie
April 9th 07, 01:29 AM
On 8 Apr, 20:55, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
> > Joe Canuck wrote:

> >> You can do more for the health of your cat by one simple act...
> >> keeping them indoors.
>
> >> I know a lot of people will debate that; however, your cat is
> >> exposed to a lot of dangers outside.
>
> >> If you want to minimize that keep her inside.
>
> > Your human children are probably safer, too, if kept indoors
> > and not allowed to play with other children. That does NOT
> > mean it's the optimum way of raising them.
>
> Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Cats are not CHILDREN. They don't know to look
> both ways and hold mommy's hand when crossing the street.
>
> You're all for cats just hanging out outside, regardless of the dangers,
> because they are cats. Screw it if they get hurt or killed that way, right?
> They're just being cats, right? I told you last week about a cat I saw
> laying dead by the side of the road, hit by a car, but you still insist they
> should run loose. Sometimes you make no sense whatsoever.
>
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

erm... i can't be bothered to argue with anyone about the indoors vs
outdoors thing cos it si late BUT i would like to say that all of my
cats have had access to the great outdoors, only lost one on the road
in 20 odd years of being owned by cats (which we decided in hindsight
was inevitable at that time since we lived on what was for a short
time a bus route due to a temporary detour by the bus company in its
routes), and the rest have lived to ripe old ages and died of other
things related to being ancient and not from disease caught from going
outside.

it may be very different in the USA than it is in the UK but i would
say the majority of people in the UK let their animals out into their
gardens, few build enclosures, as we dontl really see the need to.
Both my current cats can go outside when the door is open, although
right now they don't seem to want to as there are no comfy sofas or
radiator hammocks outside so they don;t see the point of it really.
But when summer comes i am sure they will both be out layign onthe
back lawn sunning themselves or snoozing under a bush somewhere and i
will of course let them without worry. They are both very old, jessie
is about 17 we think, and not likely to stray much further than next
doors garden and up aback alleyway, neither go very far at all. Small
issue with a large white and tabby tom cat who visits from a few
houses further up the road but jessie see him off with a hiss and I
see him off too with a mug of water when I see him, other than that I
see no reason to curtail their enjoyment of the great outdoors intheir
twilight years, why would I?

as we have no cat flap they can only go out when soemone is in the
house and so there is always someone present in case of any emergency
such as a fight or what not, but there has nto been so far and I doubt
there will be given the age and temperament of the 2 cats i have
living with me.

the decision to let your cats outdoors is to me a natural one to make,
they love going outside to patrol their territory (well jessie does
anyway) and I woudl feel as though i were depriving them of a natural
instinct if I were to restrict their movements outside and keep them
in all the time. you must remember that not all places are fraught
with dangers outside, some of us live in quiet little places in the
home counties of merrie england where nothing terribly dangerous
really happens. what happened to sheelaghs cat ringo was very unusual,
very rare indeed as there is not the same gun culture here as inthe
states and people are not allowed most forms of gun without a licence
of some sort, very hard to get.

you may want to slate me for it but i will continue to let my cats
outside as i believe that they gain a great deal from the few times
they bother to shift themselves off the sofa and venture outside and
this far outweighs the miniscule risk there is in my area of them
coming to any harm

bookie

bookie
April 9th 07, 01:34 AM
On 8 Apr, 17:20, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> [...]
> is not for me to tell you what is best for her either.
> However, I still would ask you to consider building her a run, our
> surrounding your garden so that no one else or any other predator can
> ever get to her again. Even now, I feel odd advising you to do this,
> because I used to allow mine where they wished to go too..
> But after recent experiences, I have reconsidered, not least because
> of the vet bills involved, & the reality of loosing them both came so
> near to actually happening, that I was forced to reconsider my
> options.
>
> I truely am sorry if I sounded like an overbearing old Hag...
> It certainly wasn't my intention. It was the sight of the wound that
> set me off & lack of information, that I failed to ask for.
>
> Apologize and soothing purrs for the Bruiser cruiser on your block,

have you made a report to the royal college of vet surgeons yet about
that joker who nearly killed lilly yet? how is that coming along or
have you put it on a back burner with all the stress over ringo?

i think that vet needs to be struck off personally , i dontl care how
much of a good friend to you she is, she is crap and a danger to
animals

bookie

bookie
April 9th 07, 01:37 AM
On 8 Apr, 18:20, "Will in New Haven" >
wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:16 am, Adrian > wrote:
>
> >http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> >http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> > She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do? She's very tough with
> > an amazing pain threshold.
>
> She probably does love to go outside but it is very possible that she
> is being forced to fight. It might be a good idea to build her an
> enclosure or, failing that, keep her inside. If there are cats, or
> even A cat, in the neighborhood who attack her, she might need to be
> kept in. Catfights can lead to serious injury or death and also can
> spread disease.
>
> The "indoor-only" fascists on this ng will get on your case and I hate
> to side with them. However, I favor letting cats outdoors only in very
> safe environments and yours is not. Glad your vet gave you antibiotics
> for her and good luck to you and her, whatever you decide.
>
> Will in New Haven
>
> --
>
> "Never try to outstubborn a cat." - Robert Heinlein
> "I am not stubborn, Mr. Heinlein, I am just in charge." - Feather
>

> > Doc said she'll be OK, apparently she drained the wound by cleaning it
> > constantly.- Hide quoted text -

i would like to point out that my neighbourhood is safe for cats,
boringly so, my 2 princesses stay indoors as there is more danger and
excitement inside to keep them amused I think, hence I have no worries
about letting them go out.

bookie

IBen Getiner
April 9th 07, 04:21 AM
On Apr 8, 2:16?am, Adrian > wrote:
> http://i12.tinypic.com/48f55cz.jpg
>
> http://i11.tinypic.com/40m1h0z.jpg
>
> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do?

Don't let her go outside.

Any other questions....?

IBen Getiner

Meghan Noecker
April 9th 07, 08:32 AM
>On Apr 8, 2:16?am, Adrian > wrote:

>> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do?

Chase likes to eat plastic. I still don't let him.

When I got Jay Jay, he was a previously outdoor cat (picked up as a
stray). He pawed and cried at every door and window. It was horrible.
I felt so bad for him, but I was not going to let him out.

After a week, he quit. Indoor life is pretty plushy. He has been her
over 2 years now, and he hasn't shown any interest in the doors since
that first week. And while he enjoys watching the birds out the
window, he does not cry or paw at the windows anymore. He is a very
happy (and healthy) cat.

IBen Getiner
April 9th 07, 08:47 AM
On Apr 9, 3:32�am, Meghan Noecker > wrote:
> >On Apr 8, 2:16?am, Adrian > wrote:
> >> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do?
>
> Chase *likes to eat plastic. I still don't let him.
>
> When I got Jay Jay, he was a previously outdoor cat (picked up as a
> stray). He pawed and cried at every door and window. It was horrible.
> I felt so bad for him, but I was not going to let him out.
>
> After a week, he quit. Indoor life is pretty plushy. He has been her
> over 2 years now, and he hasn't shown any interest in the doors since
> that first week. And while he enjoys watching the birds out the
> window, he does not cry or paw at the windows anymore. He is a very
> happy (and healthy) cat.

There you go. Good for you! We tried that with a very old female. It
didn't work so good. She bad-azzed our little inside male all over the
place until we had to let her back out. She was much happier, and
stayed that way until she died of old age a few years later. She was
just too old. You sounded like you had much better luck. Great!

IBen Getiner

sheelagh
April 9th 07, 01:32 PM
On 9 Apr, 01:34, "bookie" > wrote:
> [...]
> > lol;o)
> > S;o)
>
> have you made a report to the royal college of vet surgeons yet about
> that joker who nearly killed lilly yet? how is that coming along or
> have you put it on a back burner with all the stress over ringo?
>
> i think that vet needs to be struck off personally , i dontl care how
> much of a good friend to you she is, she is crap and a danger to
> animals
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

> have you made a report to the royal college of vet surgeons yet about
> that joker who nearly killed lilly yet? how is that coming along or
> have you put it on a back burner with all the stress over ringo?
>
> i think that vet needs to be struck off personally , i dontl care how
> much of a good friend to you she is, she is crap and a danger to

Yes I did put it to the back of my mind until Ringo came home,
However, I made an appointment last week for this Wednesday. So I will
have more news on Wednesday evening as to whether he feels we have a
case or, not.
( Personally, I can't see us not having one, because I have a copy of
all of Lilly's care sheets whilst she was in their care...)

I am determined that no one else should have to go through what Lilly
did ever again.
To this day I still find it incredible that they left here there on
her Tod for nearly 2 days without treatment, then told me that she was
near death. She wasn't even contactable- ignoring her mobile phone.
Then having the gall to charge me for overnight care, when there was
none really was the final straw...!!

Since this all happened, my daughter has got to know the nurse who
works for the surgery & we have since found out that she regularly
leaves post operation patients overnight with no care. It is routine
to tell customers that their pet didn't make it the following morning
& the favourite excuse is a fit
( Kt works in our local Pub & got her chatting after a few gin &
tonics..amazing how a few loosen the tongue)
I have no intention of letting this go until I see her struck off..
I have never been the sort of person that causes a fuss about
something, especially where somewhere I knew that I had to face them
again, but that last incident was enough to force me over my
inhibitions.

SOD HER!!

No Animal Should Have To Suffer That;o(
S;o)

sheelagh
April 9th 07, 01:45 PM
On 9 Apr, 01:29, "bookie" > wrote:
> [...]
> anyway) and I woudl feel as though i were depriving them of a natural
> instinct if I were to restrict their movements outside and keep them
> in all the time. you must remember that not all places are fraught
> with dangers outside, some of us live in quiet little places in the
> home counties of merrie england where nothing terribly dangerous
> really happens. what happened to sheelaghs cat ringo was very unusual,
> very rare indeed as there is not the same gun culture here as inthe
> states and people are not allowed most forms of gun without a licence
> of some sort, very hard to get.
>
> you may want to slate me for it but i will continue to let my cats
> outside as i believe that they gain a great deal from the few times
> they bother to shift themselves off the sofa and venture outside and
> this far outweighs the miniscule risk there is in my area of them

WHOOOO HOOOO
Cambridge won the Boat Race...
I take it you were glued to the Box, same as I was ...??
S;o)

Adrian A
April 9th 07, 02:17 PM
sheelagh wrote:
<snip>
> Yes I did put it to the back of my mind until Ringo came home,
> However, I made an appointment last week for this Wednesday. So I will
> have more news on Wednesday evening as to whether he feels we have a
> case or, not.
> ( Personally, I can't see us not having one, because I have a copy of
> all of Lilly's care sheets whilst she was in their care...)
>
> I am determined that no one else should have to go through what Lilly
> did ever again.
> To this day I still find it incredible that they left here there on
> her Tod for nearly 2 days without treatment, then told me that she was
> near death. She wasn't even contactable- ignoring her mobile phone.
> Then having the gall to charge me for overnight care, when there was
> none really was the final straw...!!
>
> Since this all happened, my daughter has got to know the nurse who
> works for the surgery & we have since found out that she regularly
> leaves post operation patients overnight with no care. It is routine
> to tell customers that their pet didn't make it the following morning
> & the favourite excuse is a fit
> ( Kt works in our local Pub & got her chatting after a few gin &
> tonics..amazing how a few loosen the tongue)
> I have no intention of letting this go until I see her struck off..
> I have never been the sort of person that causes a fuss about
> something, especially where somewhere I knew that I had to face them
> again, but that last incident was enough to force me over my
> inhibitions.
>
> SOD HER!!
>
> No Animal Should Have To Suffer That;o(
> S;o)

I wish you every success in getting her struck off. It's unbelievable that
anyone could be so lacking in care, in a so called proffesional it's
criminal.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

April 9th 07, 04:06 PM
"Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message

>>On Apr 8, 2:16?am, Adrian > wrote:
>
>>> She loves to go outside and fight, what can I do?
>>

> Chase likes to eat plastic. I still don't let him.

What this thread is, is a troll. Adrian knows exactly how many of us feel
about allowing cats to roam, and could not be satisfied with telling us
about the bite, which has likely infected his cat with sundry diseased. He
had to PHOTOGRAPH the bite.

This, not calling an asshole an asshole, is what trolling is all about.
Posting something just to get a reaction.

You're an asshole, Adrian. The next time you look up and see your cat
looking at you, you should see a little cartoon bubble over her head that
says "Asshole." She knows it. We know it.

Just so you know it.

sheelagh
April 9th 07, 04:56 PM
On 9 Apr, 16:06, "cybercat" > wrote:

> > Chase likes to eat plastic. I still don't let him.
>
> What this thread is, is a troll. Adrian knows exactly how many of us feel
> about allowing cats to roam, and could not be satisfied with telling us
> about the bite, which has likely infected his cat with sundry diseased. He
> had to PHOTOGRAPH the bite.
>
> This, not calling an asshole an asshole, is what trolling is all about.
> Posting something just to get a reaction.
>
> You're an asshole, Adrian. The next time you look up and see your cat
> looking at you, you should see a little cartoon bubble over her head that
> says "Asshole." She knows it. We know it.
>
> Just so you know it.

Apology retracted then.
Idiot!!!
Sheelagh

bookie
April 9th 07, 06:14 PM
On 9 Apr, 13:45, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> [...]
> > with dangers outside, some of us live in quiet little places in the
> > home counties of merrie england where nothing terribly dangerous
> > really happens. what happened to sheelaghs cat ringo was very unusual,
> > very rare indeed as there is not the same gun culture here as inthe
> > states and people are not allowed most forms of gun without a licence
> > of some sort, very hard to get.
>
> > you may want to slate me for it but i will continue to let my cats
> > outside as i believe that they gain a great deal from the few times
> > they bother to shift themselves off the sofa and venture outside and
> > this far outweighs the miniscule risk there is in my area of them
> > coming to any harm
>
> > bookie- Hide quoted text -

> WHOOOO HOOOO
> Cambridge won the Boat Race...
> I take it you were glued to the Box, same as I was ...??

yes, sad aren't I? last year I put 10 on one of the crews sinking (or
being swamped os bad they had to pull out of the race) didn't know
that bloody oxford had a pump fitted to their boat, dirty cheating
oxford scum.

when i was a student, and in the couple of years after i graduated, i
used to make the trip to watch fromthe bank somewhere, not actually
get to see anything except the banks of people's head and then get
royally drunk and try to catch the last train back to cambridge from
kings cross. Now i am old and i actually want to see the whole race
and the technical aspects of the rowing (since I am a sad old rower
too) and so i always watch it on the telly now. Also my bladder will
not hodl up to all the waiting in queues for the toilets that goes
with watching it from the bank

inthe 90s when i was an undergraduate it was fairly dull affair with
cambridge always winning by a fairly hefty margin, but the last few
years have produced some awesome races, such as seb mayer blowing up
when cambridge were in the lead by quite a way at barnes bridge and
oxford storming through to win, and some others which were close races
right until the last.

I don't know what it all looks like to people who don't row or who
have not been to either uni , or who haven't rowed for oxford or
cambridge, but since i have done all the above I am deeply interested
inthe result and how it goes. Also i can understand the pain of the
race and the exertion to get down the course, and how it feels to do
so many months of training for one race and see it all go to waste; I
lost my boat race just like the oxford boys did on saturday :-( . to
watch it on tv and see the pain on their faces in awesome as I can
understand how much it is hurting them and how much their legs, backs,
whole bodies are screaming "stop! pain! stop! this hurts!!!!" but how
pride makes them push that much harder despite the fact their lungs
feel as though they are about to explode and they feel as though they
cannot take another breath. Somehow you just keep going through the
pain.

anyway, yes i am pleased that cambridge won for personal reasons, and
pleased that it was a good race and a real spectacle and not a
walkover so hopefully interest inthe event will keep going..

bookie
April 9th 07, 06:21 PM
On 9 Apr, 13:32, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> [...]
> near death. She wasn't even contactable- ignoring her mobile phone.
> Then having the gall to charge me for overnight care, when there was
> none really was the final straw...!!
>
> Since this all happened, my daughter has got to know the nurse who
> works for the surgery & we have since found out that she regularly
> leaves post operation patients overnight with no care. It is routine
> to tell customers that their pet didn't make it the following morning
> & the favourite excuse is a fit
> ( Kt works in our local Pub & got her chatting after a few gin &
> tonics..amazing how a few loosen the tongue)
> I have no intention of letting this go until I see her struck off..
> I have never been the sort of person that causes a fuss about
> something, especially where somewhere I knew that I had to face them
> again, but that last incident was enough to force me over my

i am keeping everything crossed that you are successful, that
admission by the nurse is outrageous, people trust her and the vet
with the care of their beloved animals and to leave them post op with
no care and just bugger off home is unacceptable. Then to claim that
if the animal doesn't make it the next day that it was a fit and not
admit that the animal was left to suffer and die when it could have
been saved and lived is incredible. They are sooooooo breaking the
codes of conduct of the RCVS with failing to provide adequate post op
care, this is just not on and completely wrong on so many levels.

this vet doesnt' just need to be struck off, she needs to be strung
up, absolutely ****ing outrageous.

you must have a case against her, are you going to see someone at the
RCVS?

bookie

sheelagh
April 9th 07, 09:35 PM
On 9 Apr, 18:21, "bookie" > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > No Animal Should Have To Suffer That;o(
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> i am keeping everything crossed that you are successful, that
> admission by the nurse is outrageous, people trust her and the vet
> with the care of their beloved animals and to leave them post op with
> no care and just bugger off home is unacceptable. Then to claim that
> if the animal doesn't make it the next day that it was a fit and not
> admit that the animal was left to suffer and die when it could have
> been saved and lived is incredible. They are sooooooo breaking the
> codes of conduct of the RCVS with failing to provide adequate post op
> care, this is just not on and completely wrong on so many levels.
>
> this vet doesnt' just need to be struck off, she needs to be strung
> up, absolutely ****ing outrageous.
>
> you must have a case against her, are you going to see someone at the

Two quickies.
I was delighted to see Cambridge win on Saturday too:o)

Yes, I have written a letter to to the RCVS, but haven't posted it as
yet....

I will email you a copy of my letter to see if you have any thoughts
or recommendations to add to it before I send it tomorrow afternoon as
long as you don't mind of course?

I will also send you all of the details that are relevant & other bits
to to compare with the letter I have composed to send to them too, so
that you might make some changes/amend if you feel that they are
relevant to the case.

Kids on the Pc for far too long during the Easter hols ( which they
remind is a little rich given the time I devote to it- they could have
a point there, but I'm not going to admit to it, lol...

S;o)