PDA

View Full Version : Best Cat TV Ever

cybercat
April 9th 07, 06:41 PM
My office is on the third floor of the house.

When we first moved in, there was a thicket of little dogwood trees rather
close to the house. We thinned it, but as the remaining trees grew, the tips
of the branches of the nearest one almost touch my office windows--where I
have one of those lambswool cat shelves.

When Gracie looks out, she sees directly into the tree, and there is a
little finch-like bird teasing her mercilessly. He's black and white with
yellow sides, white sidebars and a white throat, he looks like newsprint.

I don't know if he actually sees her, but he hops about a mere 2 feet from
her face and I have never seen her so rapt. When he moves to the higher
branches she gets up on her back feet tiptoes. There's a fairly busy road
just beyond the trees. I see dead animals on it several times a month. I
don't think she needs to eat the bird, I think it is enough that she gets to
watch him and get excited about him.

sheelagh
April 10th 07, 02:29 AM
On 9 Apr, 18:41, "cybercat" > wrote:
> My office is on the third floor of the house.
>
> When we first moved in, there was a thicket of little dogwood trees rather
> close to the house. We thinned it, but as the remaining trees grew, the tips
> of the branches of the nearest one almost touch my office windows--where I
> have one of those lambswool cat shelves.
>
> When Gracie looks out, she sees directly into the tree, and there is a
> little finch-like bird teasing her mercilessly. He's black and white with
> yellow sides, white sidebars and a white throat, he looks like newsprint.
>
> I don't know if he actually sees her, but he hops about a mere 2 feet from
> her face and I have never seen her so rapt. When he moves to the higher
> branches she gets up on her back feet tiptoes. There's a fairly busy road
> just beyond the trees. I see dead animals on it several times a month. I
> don't think she needs to eat the bird, I think it is enough that she gets to
> watch him and get excited about him.

Mine do the same too.
Have you ever watched a cat absolutely riveted to a tank full of fish?
It keeps them just as interested as the birds do.

Your office sounds like heaven ...
( other than having to face the poor animals that get hit in car
accidents...That is really sad)

I learnt my lesson the hard way..OTOH, you could say that it was a
lucky reminder/break, of how bad things could have been if I hadn't
stopped them going out of our garden....
S;o)

Lynne
April 10th 07, 02:40 AM
on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:29:49 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> Have you ever watched a cat absolutely riveted to a tank full of fish?
> It keeps them just as interested as the birds do.

My cats like to watch the snake in her viv. I put a chair in front of it
for them and they sit there completely mesmerized when she's out.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
April 10th 07, 03:00 AM
On 10 Apr, 02:40, Lynne > wrote:
> on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 01:29:49 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > Have you ever watched a cat absolutely riveted to a tank full of fish?
> > It keeps them just as interested as the birds do.
>
> My cats like to watch the snake in her viv. I put a chair in front of it
> for them and they sit there completely mesmerized when she's out.
>
> --
> Lynne

Isn't it amazing what takes their attention. My lot even do the bum
wiggle as if they are going to pounce on the bird, knowing full well
that they can't get at them. I suppose it is all about practise....
Don't the cats get frightened by the snake at all?

I don't have anything exotic like that, but I do remember the dog
having a strange bark when she knew that there was one around..Or is
their interest because they don't have any idea about the " potential"
danger?

The reason I ask, is because a) it could be a none dangerous one, b),
the snake is never out whilst the cats are around?
S;o)

PS: I'm frightened silly by them!!

Lynne
April 10th 07, 03:17 AM
on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 02:00:15 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> Isn't it amazing what takes their attention. My lot even do the bum
> wiggle as if they are going to pounce on the bird, knowing full well
> that they can't get at them. I suppose it is all about practise....
> Don't the cats get frightened by the snake at all?

Not in the least. They are fascinated by her! And I keep her on the
hungry side so she's very active almost every evening.

> I don't have anything exotic like that, but I do remember the dog
> having a strange bark when she knew that there was one around..Or is
> their interest because they don't have any idea about the " potential"
> danger?

To the cats, she is a complete mystery. We never have the cats around
when we handle her, because she could be easily hurt by them. So they
only know her as something moving behind the glass. Rudy sits quietly in
front of her viv, and Levi goes ape ****, digging on the glass. It's
pretty cute. Mika, the snake, sees him digging and thinks it might be
dinner so of course she has to investigate. VERY entertaining.

We see a LOT of poisonous snakes on the weekend when we are out in the
woods, rockclimbing. I've trained my dog to stay away from areas I tell
her to stay away from, because the bite of a copperhead or rattle snake
is never good for dogs (or people!). I've known several people and dogs
who have been bitten and it's as awful as you can imagine. That said,
they don't scare me and I even hike in sandals. I just keep my eyes open
and keep my distance when I see them.

> The reason I ask, is because a) it could be a none dangerous one, b),
> the snake is never out whilst the cats are around?

She's harmless, and in fact, very friendly. She's never bitten, even
when I first got her and didn't know I shouldn't handle her when she's in
what is called the blue phase. At that time, her eyes have scales over
them as she prepares to shed and she can't see. Most snakes will bite if
handled at that time, but she never has.

> PS: I'm frightened silly by them!!

Most people are. I used to worry about them, but since I'm around them
so frequently I decided to study their behavior and that made me much
more comfortable.

Our snake is my daughter's, by the way. I got her for her after Rudy ate
her beta fish when he was a little kitten. I'm so mean, because I still
laugh about that. :)

--
Lynne

IBen Getiner
April 10th 07, 04:15 AM
On Apr 9, 1:41?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> My office is on the third floor of the house.
>
> When we first moved in, there was a thicket of little dogwood trees rather
> close to the house. We thinned it, but as the remaining trees grew, the tips
> of the branches of the nearest one almost touch my office windows--where I
> have one of those lambswool cat shelves.
>
> When Gracie looks out, she sees directly into the tree, and there is a
> little finch-like bird teasing her mercilessly. He's black and white with
> yellow sides, white sidebars and a white throat, he looks like newsprint.
>
> I don't know if he actually sees her, but he hops about a mere 2 feet from
> her face and I have never seen her so rapt. When he moves to the higher
> branches she gets up on her back feet tiptoes. There's a fairly busy road
> just beyond the trees. I see dead animals on it several times a month. I
> don't think she needs to eat the bird, I think it is enough that she gets to
> watch him and get excited about him.

Who are you to make that decision? Your cat is a born hunter. It's
people like you who are always attempting to turn the tide of an
animal's natural instincts. When all you're really doing is ****ing
into the wind. That cat WILL hunt. And if she can't find any game
around, she might just take it out on YOU in the form of a nasty
little cat-bite! If you get one from her, you'll know why you got it,
'cause you drew it. All that pent-up frustration... where else do you
think it's gonna go? 2 inches down into your ankle tissue will do
nicely, I think...

IBen