PDA

View Full Version : We Have New Laws To Protect Animals in UK/Animal Welfare Laws


sheelagh
April 11th 07, 01:37 PM
Last Friday, new laws came into force to protect all animals in the
UK. I am delighted to know that they have come in to force at last
because they were desperately needed. I only wish that they had come
into force a few weeks ago ,because it would have made all the
difference to Ringo & all of the other cats that were affected by the
pair of hooligans that went on the rampage using cats as targets. I am
not sure if it will strengthen the case of the RSPCA regarding g thier
prosecution, but I certainly hope that they do..

In previous years, so many people got away with Shocking Abuse, but
that will never happen again because the poor things are protected by
a law of their own now...

If anyone is interested in the new laws, I have added a link so that
you can see their new rights from now on..It makes interesting reading
too.

About time too!!
S;o)

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/News/2007/AWA-new_law_to_protect_pets.asp

kraut
April 11th 07, 02:00 PM
>Last Friday, new laws came into force to protect all animals in the
>UK. I am delighted to know that they have come in to force at last
>because they were desperately needed. I only wish that they had come
>into force a few weeks ago ,because it would have made all the
>difference to Ringo & all of the other cats that were affected by the
>pair of hooligans that went on the rampage using cats as targets. I am
>not sure if it will strengthen the case of the RSPCA regarding g thier
>prosecution, but I certainly hope that they do..
>
>In previous years, so many people got away with Shocking Abuse, but
>that will never happen again because the poor things are protected by
>a law of their own now...
>
>If anyone is interested in the new laws, I have added a link so that
>you can see their new rights from now on..It makes interesting reading
>too.


I would not count on new laws stopping ALL idiots from abusing
animals. We have had laws over here of some type for a while but you
still have the animal abusers.

If laws really made a difference there would be no one speeding on the
roads, shooting people, ETC. The only things laws really do is give
law enforcement a tool to use in prosecuting the ones that get caught.




************************************************** ***
E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/



(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=


************************************************** ***

sheelagh
April 11th 07, 02:07 PM
On 11 Apr, 14:00, kraut > wrote:
> >Last Friday, new laws came into force to protect all animals in the
> >UK. I am delighted to know that they have come in to force at last
> >because they were desperately needed. I only wish that they had come
> >into force a few weeks ago ,because it would have made all the
> >difference to Ringo & all of the other cats that were affected by the
> >pair of hooligans that went on the rampage using cats as targets. I am
> >not sure if it will strengthen the case of the RSPCA regarding g their
> >prosecution, but I certainly hope that they do..
>
> >In previous years, so many people got away with Shocking Abuse, but
> >that will never happen again because the poor things are protected by
> >a law of their own now...
>
> >If anyone is interested in the new laws, I have added a link so that
> >you can see their new rights from now on..It makes interesting reading
> >too.
>
> I would not count on new laws stopping ALL idiots from abusing
> animals. We have had laws over here of some type for a while but you
> still have the animal abusers.
>
> If laws really made a difference there would be no one speeding on the
> roads, shooting people, ETC. The only things laws really do is give
> law enforcement a tool to use in prosecuting the ones that get caught.
>
> ************************************************** ***
> E-mail address altered to foil spam.
> Reply to news groups for all to see please.
>
> _
> / )
> (\__/) ( (
> ) ( ) )
> ={ }= / /
> ) `-------/ /
> ( /
> \ |
> ,'\ , ,'
> `-'\ ,---\ | \
> _) ) `. \ /
> (__/ ) )
> (_/
>
> (\__/)
> )oo(
> ={ >}=
>
> ************************************************** ***- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I take your point, but it is still a comfort to know that here is a
law to enforce all the same...

I know it won't stop them belonging to abusers, but it does give the
police and the RSPCA something to work with, where before they had to
watch things slide because there was no law to enforce...

A lot of people would say that the law is there to be broken, & many
will too.
But I can't help but feel optimistic about their rights in law now...

S;o)

Lis
April 11th 07, 02:08 PM
On Apr 11, 8:37 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
> Last Friday, new laws came into force to protect all animals in the
> UK. I am delighted to know that they have come in to force at last
> because they were desperately needed. I only wish that they had come
> into force a few weeks ago ,because it would have made all the
> difference to Ringo & all of the other cats that were affected by the
> pair of hooligans that went on the rampage using cats as targets. I am
> not sure if it will strengthen the case of the RSPCA regarding g thier
> prosecution, but I certainly hope that they do..
>
> In previous years, so many people got away with Shocking Abuse, but
> that will never happen again because the poor things are protected by
> a law of their own now...
>
> If anyone is interested in the new laws, I have added a link so that
> you can see their new rights from now on..It makes interesting reading
> too.
>
> About time too!!
> S;o)
>
> http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/News/2007/AWA-new_law_to_protect...

This is great! It won't, sadly, prevent all abuse and neglect, but it
should help discourage it, as people see that perpetrators actually
get prosecuted.

Lis

sheelagh
April 11th 07, 02:35 PM
On 11 Apr, 14:08, "Lis" > wrote:
> On Apr 11, 8:37 am, "sheelagh" > wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Last Friday, new laws came into force to protect all animals in the
> > UK. I am delighted to know that they have come in to force at last
> > because they were desperately needed. I only wish that they had come
> > into force a few weeks ago ,because it would have made all the
> > difference to Ringo & all of the other cats that were affected by the
> > pair of hooligans that went on the rampage using cats as targets. I am
> > not sure if it will strengthen the case of the RSPCA regarding g their
> > prosecution, but I certainly hope that they do..
>
> > In previous years, so many people got away with Shocking Abuse, but
> > that will never happen again because the poor things are protected by
> > a law of their own now...
>
> > If anyone is interested in the new laws, I have added a link so that
> > you can see their new rights from now on..It makes interesting reading
> > too.
>
> > About time too!!
> > S;o)
>
> >http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/News/2007/AWA-new_law_to_protect...
>
> This is great! It won't, sadly, prevent all abuse and neglect, but it
> should help discourage it, as people see that perpetrators actually
> get prosecuted.
>
> Lis- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I agree entirely. However, it is also being brought into schools,
where Blue x workers, the cat protection league & many other pet
charities are even going into the schools and educating the children
about the new law which I think will be of enormous benefit.....

I see it as educating future generations to come, in the knowledge
that animals have a better chance because the kids will be aware that
pets have rights of their own now & know better than to abuse them in
the first place. Maybe I am a bit over optimistic, but it is time that
we had them here & a lot of people will use them to prosecute where
they were unsuccessful before....

This is something we have never had before now. In fact the worst
sentence I can personally remember was a 1 year sentence..
( I assume the judge had a particularly bad lunch that day...!!), &
being banned from owning an animal ever again....

(a bit too late for the poor creatures involved, wouldn't you say?)
This law will give the charities powers to act upon....

They already know where abuse is going on in many places already, but
now they have the power to act on this information. One such instance
is on something that we both agree needs attending to, which is
Kitten( milling?) Farming..
They have the power to shut them down now, because the circumstances
under which some of them live is absolutely appalling!!

I am pleased for the law enforcement officers too, because it must
have been so frustrating to know where there is abuse, but to have no
powers to enforce it must have been awful for them...
S;o)