PDA

View Full Version : Is My Cat Having a Problem?

Stacia
April 11th 07, 03:47 PM
My cat Simon started acting weirdly about an hour ago and I don't know
if I'm worrying too much or what.
Simon was kind of freaking out with some weird meows, but I thought he
saw a squirrel so I didn't think anything about it until he got kind of
jumpy. He started running a few feet like he was being chased, then
stopping to lick his back right leg really furiously. He repeated this
for a bit, all the while acting agitated and meowing. I thought he must
have something stuck to his fur but he didn't.
When I checked his mobility and pet him on the leg he was licking, he
bit me a few times like it bothered him. He's since been walking and
jumping normally, though, just acting restless and licking his front
paws a lot.
Is there anything else I should look for? I guess I'm afraid he's got
something wrong like an itch, or a tummy ache, that's hard for us humans
to realize. What do you think?

Stacia

cybercat
April 11th 07, 04:51 PM
"Stacia" > wrote in message

> My cat Simon started acting weirdly about an hour ago and I don't know
> if I'm worrying too much or what.

You can't be worrying too much, because you didn't mention the vet.

I would take mine in asap in your place.

Lynne
April 11th 07, 04:54 PM
on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:47:18 GMT, (Stacia) wrote:

> My cat Simon started acting weirdly about an hour ago and I don't know
> if I'm worrying too much or what.
> Simon was kind of freaking out with some weird meows, but I thought he
> saw a squirrel so I didn't think anything about it until he got kind of
> jumpy. He started running a few feet like he was being chased, then
> stopping to lick his back right leg really furiously. He repeated this
> for a bit, all the while acting agitated and meowing. I thought he must
> have something stuck to his fur but he didn't.
> When I checked his mobility and pet him on the leg he was licking, he
> bit me a few times like it bothered him. He's since been walking and
> jumping normally, though, just acting restless and licking his front
> paws a lot.
> Is there anything else I should look for? I guess I'm afraid he's got
> something wrong like an itch, or a tummy ache, that's hard for us humans
> to realize. What do you think?

Could he have been stung by something? Maybe a wasp got into your house?

If his behavior continues, and certainly if it gets worse, I'd get him into
see the vet today.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
April 11th 07, 06:16 PM
On 11 Apr, 15:47, (Stacia) wrote:
> My cat Simon started acting weirdly about an hour ago and I don't know
> if I'm worrying too much or what.
> Simon was kind of freaking out with some weird meows, but I thought he
> saw a squirrel so I didn't think anything about it until he got kind of
> jumpy. He started running a few feet like he was being chased, then
> stopping to lick his back right leg really furiously. He repeated this
> for a bit, all the while acting agitated and meowing. I thought he must
> have something stuck to his fur but he didn't.
> When I checked his mobility and pet him on the leg he was licking, he
> bit me a few times like it bothered him. He's since been walking and
> jumping normally, though, just acting restless and licking his front
> paws a lot.
> Is there anything else I should look for? I guess I'm afraid he's got
> something wrong like an itch, or a tummy ache, that's hard for us humans
> to realize. What do you think?
>
> Stacia

> Is there anything else I should look for? I guess I'm afraid he's got
> something wrong like an itch, or a tummy ache, that's hard for us humans
> to realize.
What do you think?

Generally, if there is no obvious reason, then we all take our cats to
the vet because we can't talk cat either.

I have a feeling that is what we all think...
..
The only way that a cat can tell you what is wrong, & you spotted it
straight away. Act on your impulse, simply because we are neither
qualified & able to assist you.

Not because we don't sympathise with you....
Do let us know what your vet had to say please?
S;o)

Stacia
April 12th 07, 03:47 AM
Lynne > writes:

>Could he have been stung by something? Maybe a wasp got into your house?

It's possible but it's been so cold that the bugs haven't been active.
I guess I should have been clearer earlier. Even though he seemed
cranky and agitated he showed no other signs of problem once he stopped
fussing with his leg. This is a cat we've had to watch closely for
years, because he's got chronic vomiting, he eats string and thread,
gets into human food to eat it, and a host of other really bad things.
I'm pretty atuned to what he does when he's in pain, and he'll hiss even
when he's got mild pain, and he never progressed to hissing.
Everything was so vague I didn't think calling a vet was an option
UNTIL something got worse. But I wanted to know what to look for, just
in case.
FWIW, I believe he may have had crankiness from tummy problems and
vomiting. He's been to the vet a lot about this, he's been diagnosed
and was on meds which helped but didn't completely get rid of the
problem.

Thanks,
Stacia