PDA

View Full Version : Odd behavior

Susanne
April 12th 07, 01:36 AM
I have two cats, one male and one female. They had one litter
together, and then I had the female spayed. After that the male
avoided her, and then seemed to turn feral, only showing up now and
then to eat and then go away again. Now he's gone altogether. Was this
behavior caused by the spaying of the female?

Gail
April 12th 07, 03:15 AM
How long ago was she spayed? If it is recent, she may smell "different" and
have the smells of the vet's office on her.
GAil
"Susanne" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have two cats, one male and one female. They had one litter
> together, and then I had the female spayed. After that the male
> avoided her, and then seemed to turn feral, only showing up now and
> then to eat and then go away again. Now he's gone altogether. Was this
> behavior caused by the spaying of the female?

Lynne
April 12th 07, 03:47 AM
on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:36:33 GMT, "Susanne" > wrote:

> I have two cats, one male and one female. They had one litter
> together, and then I had the female spayed. After that the male
> avoided her, and then seemed to turn feral, only showing up now and
> then to eat and then go away again. Now he's gone altogether. Was this
> behavior caused by the spaying of the female?

Cats don't turn feral. Your male is off wandering looking to mate and/or
fight. Nothing good will come from either behavior except yet more
unwanted kittens adding to the over population problem and/or possible
serious injuries to him and whatever cats he fights with. Those fights can
also lead to him contracting and then possibly spreading one or more deadly
diseases.

You need to find him my any means possible (call the shelters and vets, put
up signs, offer a reward), get him neutered and bring him home to stay.
Has he been vaccinated?

--
Lynne

Lis
April 12th 07, 02:08 PM
On Apr 11, 8:36 pm, "Susanne" > wrote:
> I have two cats, one male and one female. They had one litter
> together, and then I had the female spayed. After that the male
> avoided her, and then seemed to turn feral, only showing up now and
> then to eat and then go away again. Now he's gone altogether. Was this
> behavior caused by the spaying of the female?

It's caused by the fact that you spayed her WITHOUT neutering him.
He's off looking for intact females. In the process, he'll fight with
other intact toms. He'll get injured, he'll be exposed to diseases,
he's at greater risk of getting hit by cars and trucks. You need to
find him, bring him home, and get him neutered NOW. You're only
endangering him and other cats, and adding to the population of
homeless, unwanted kittens who'll live miserable lives as ferals, or
be euthanized in shelters because there are no homes for them.

Find him and get him neutered.

Lis

sheelagh
April 12th 07, 04:05 PM
On 12 Apr, 14:08, "Lis" > wrote:
> On Apr 11, 8:36 pm, "Susanne" > wrote:
>
> > I have two cats, one male and one female. They had one litter
> > together, and then I had the female spayed. After that the male
> > avoided her, and then seemed to turn feral, only showing up now and
> > then to eat and then go away again. Now he's gone altogether. Was this
> > behavior caused by the spaying of the female?
>
> It's caused by the fact that you spayed her WITHOUT neutering him.
> He's off looking for intact females. In the process, he'll fight with
> other intact toms. He'll get injured, he'll be exposed to diseases,
> he's at greater risk of getting hit by cars and trucks. You need to
> find him, bring him home, and get him neutered NOW. You're only
> endangering him and other cats, and adding to the population of
> homeless, unwanted kittens who'll live miserable lives as ferals, or
> be euthanized in shelters because there are no homes for them.
>
> Find him and get him neutered.
>
> Lis

Ditto!
S;o)

Lawrence of Utopia
April 13th 07, 01:53 AM
Where was your mind when all of this was taking place?

oups.com...