PDA

View Full Version : She doesn't like her furniture any more.

jmc
April 12th 07, 12:01 PM
I first bought Meep a cat tree back in 1999. She instantly knew it was
hers only, and from then on, she has practically lived on her tree.
We've moved a number of times, and replaced the tree once that I
remember and she's always loved the thing, sleeps on it, etc. The
current one is very thrashed, carpet falling off, but still she spent at
least a couple hours a day there.

So, we just moved again. The only difference is we only moved *house*,
not *countries* as is normal. Moved a couple of blocks away. A much
easier and less stressful move.

In everything else, she's normal. Jumps on my lap, eats, sleeps, begs
for lap time, plays with her string. Uses the litterbox normally, and
on schedule. But she's just not interested in that tree anymore. With
her beds, she's very position-oriented, so with that theory we've moved
the tree around a bit when she stopped using it in it's original, usual
position at the front window.

We'd already purchased a new one, easier to get up on (the plan is to
get rid of the trashed one, eventually. She *is* getting on a bit -
she's 11 - and has problems with her hind legs (malformed is the best
word; she's been getting glucosamine for years because I expect she will
get arthritis eventually). BUT, when I put food there, or in all her
other normal activities, she shows no sign of being reluctant to jump.
No signs of lameness, or soreness.

But there's still that worrisome truth: After some 8 years, she quite
suddenly has decided not to use her furniture - new or old. Except to
scratch. The new one's seeing a lot of scratching.

Should I worry? Do you think she'll eventually revert to her old ways?
Has anyone else had a cat that did this - and did you figure out why and
how to correct it?

She seems perfectly normal and happy, except for this change.

jmc

cybercat
April 12th 07, 03:18 PM
"jmc" > wrote
> Should I worry? Do you think she'll eventually revert to her old ways?
> Has anyone else had a cat that did this - and did you figure out why and
> how to correct it?

Doesn't she do like my cats, and change favorite sleeping places
and toys regularly?

Moves are traumatic for everyone, I would think they would be even
moreso for an older cat.

Spot
April 12th 07, 04:13 PM
Are you sure she's not having any pain jumping. Cats are great at hiding
their distress that may be why she's reluctant to use it.

Celeste

"jmc" > wrote in message
>I first bought Meep a cat tree back in 1999. She instantly knew it was
>hers only, and from then on, she has practically lived on her tree. We've
>moved a number of times, and replaced the tree once that I remember and
>she's always loved the thing, sleeps on it, etc. The current one is very
>thrashed, carpet falling off, but still she spent at least a couple hours a
>day there.
>
> So, we just moved again. The only difference is we only moved *house*,
> not *countries* as is normal. Moved a couple of blocks away. A much
> easier and less stressful move.
>
> In everything else, she's normal. Jumps on my lap, eats, sleeps, begs for
> lap time, plays with her string. Uses the litterbox normally, and on
> schedule. But she's just not interested in that tree anymore. With her
> beds, she's very position-oriented, so with that theory we've moved the
> tree around a bit when she stopped using it in it's original, usual
> position at the front window.
>
> We'd already purchased a new one, easier to get up on (the plan is to get
> rid of the trashed one, eventually. She *is* getting on a bit - she's
> 11 - and has problems with her hind legs (malformed is the best word;
> she's been getting glucosamine for years because I expect she will get
> arthritis eventually). BUT, when I put food there, or in all her other
> normal activities, she shows no sign of being reluctant to jump. No signs
> of lameness, or soreness.
>
> But there's still that worrisome truth: After some 8 years, she quite
> suddenly has decided not to use her furniture - new or old. Except to
> scratch. The new one's seeing a lot of scratching.
>
> Should I worry? Do you think she'll eventually revert to her old ways?
> Has anyone else had a cat that did this - and did you figure out why and
> how to correct it?
>
> She seems perfectly normal and happy, except for this change.
>
> jmc

jmc
April 12th 07, 09:48 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (13-Apr-07 12:43 AM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> I first bought Meep a cat tree back in 1999. She instantly knew it was
>> hers only, and from then on, she has practically lived on her tree. We've
>> moved a number of times, and replaced the tree once that I remember and
>> she's always loved the thing, sleeps on it, etc. The current one is very
>> thrashed, carpet falling off, but still she spent at least a couple hours a
>> day there.

jmc

> Are you sure she's not having any pain jumping. Cats are great at
hiding
> their distress that may be why she's reluctant to use it.
>
> Celeste

No, not 100% sure, but she jumps up everywhere else normally, without
any more than her normal hesitation.

However, this morning she's showing signs of "brewing up" an acute
cystitis attack (damn, she's been symptom-free for over a year!). So,
we're off to the vet today, if I can get an appt.

jmc