PDA

View Full Version : Understanding cause and effect (and cystitis again, dammit!)


jmc
April 13th 07, 11:42 AM
Had this errant thought when I was taking Meep to the vet today...

Fact 1: Cats hide their illnesses as much as they can.
Fact 2: When good cat owners notice their cat is ill, they take the cat
to the vet.

The errant thought I had was, I wonder if domestic cats hide their
illness, not (only) because of some instinctive imperative, but because
they know that if their human(s) notice, they'll be taken to that awful
place where strange-smelling humans do uncomfortable things to them?

Anyway, Woke up early hours to Meep digging. Not unusual, until I heard
her digging again. And again. And again.

Sure enough, despite a diet of half Royal Canin SO, plenty of water all
over the house (which she does drink), glucosamine everyday, and wet
food with added water every night (not anything on the recall list), she
still has blood in her urine today. Damn! She hates pills, but we've
got another 10-day course of antibiotics to suffer through.

Poor kitty. Probably the stress from the move, but she didn't have an
attack when we moved countries, why now, when we only moved a few blocks?

jmc

Barry
April 13th 07, 12:50 PM
On Apr 13, 6:42 am, jmc > wrote:

> Poor kitty. Probably the stress from the move, but she didn't have an
> attack when we moved countries, why now, when we only moved a few blocks?
>
> jmc

I agree about cats putting 2 and 2 together.. so they hide their pain.

Meep, where are you getting your water from? you know city and well
water can be very hard. I don't know what all makes water hard.. so Im
guessing, calcium, lime, iron etc...

This happens a lot in humans.

In nature.. cats wouldn't drink that much h2o right? not straight..
but their water comes from eating innards. (which is highly filtered
water).

Sherry
April 13th 07, 04:00 PM
On Apr 13, 5:42 am, jmc > wrote:
> Had this errant thought when I was taking Meep to the vet today...
>
> Fact 1: Cats hide their illnesses as much as they can.
> Fact 2: When good cat owners notice their cat is ill, they take the cat
> to the vet.
>
> The errant thought I had was, I wonder if domestic cats hide their
> illness, not (only) because of some instinctive imperative, but because
> they know that if their human(s) notice, they'll be taken to that awful
> place where strange-smelling humans do uncomfortable things to them?
>
> Anyway, Woke up early hours to Meep digging. Not unusual, until I heard
> her digging again. And again. And again.
>
> Sure enough, despite a diet of half Royal Canin SO, plenty of water all
> over the house (which she does drink), glucosamine everyday, and wet
> food with added water every night (not anything on the recall list), she
> still has blood in her urine today. Damn! She hates pills, but we've
> got another 10-day course of antibiotics to suffer through.
>
> Poor kitty. Probably the stress from the move, but she didn't have an
> attack when we moved countries, why now, when we only moved a few blocks?
>
> jmc

Good thought.....I've read that instinctually they hide illness to
avoid appearing "weak"
as a survival instinct, but it wouldn't surprise me they could do the
same thing to
'avoid a vet trip. Yoda went to the vet last week. After being treated
with the
eye drops just *twice*...he learned to avoid me if I have anything in
my hand.
Hope your kitty improves fast, that surely is very uncomfortable for
her. Barry had a
good thought re: filtered water. Surely that would be better for the
cats than
tap water.

Sherry

jmc
April 14th 07, 07:39 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (13-Apr-07 9:20 PM):
> On Apr 13, 6:42 am, jmc > wrote:
>
>> Poor kitty. Probably the stress from the move, but she didn't have an
>> attack when we moved countries, why now, when we only moved a few blocks?
>>
>> jmc
>
> I agree about cats putting 2 and 2 together.. so they hide their pain.
>
> Meep, where are you getting your water from? you know city and well
> water can be very hard. I don't know what all makes water hard.. so Im
> guessing, calcium, lime, iron etc...
>
> This happens a lot in humans.
>
> In nature.. cats wouldn't drink that much h2o right? not straight..
> but their water comes from eating innards. (which is highly filtered
> water).
>
>
>
>

All of Meep's water is from Britta filters, because the water here is
extremely hard.

Well, Meep won't touch innards (or even outards), so she's gotta get her
water the hard way; getting enuf water is critical in a cystitis-prone
cat. That's one of my worries - she's been drinking plenty of water -
but still is having problems. She's passive and internalizes stress,
and I think that probably predisposes her to problems.

I drink mostly the Britta water as well, though not always.

jmc

Barry
April 14th 07, 11:52 AM
On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:

> Well, Meep won't touch innards (or even outards)

Yes, I know Jodi

lol

I eat innards! livers gizzards neck bones, collards etc

I'm sorry it's more of this for her...

why not resolve to change her diet.
her water source and her food. I would. I think you should.

Matthew
April 14th 07, 12:03 PM
Love deep fried Gizzards. I think I will get some will I spend all day and
night in Tampa and Lakeland today. On the road again ;-)


"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:
>
>> Well, Meep won't touch innards (or even outards)
>
> Yes, I know Jodi
>
> lol
>
> I eat innards! livers gizzards neck bones, collards etc
>
> I'm sorry it's more of this for her...
>
> why not resolve to change her diet.
> her water source and her food. I would. I think you should.
>
>
>
>

Barry
April 14th 07, 12:19 PM
On Apr 14, 7:03 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> On the road again ;-)

Turn the page

Barry
April 14th 07, 12:26 PM
On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:

> I drink mostly the Britta water as well, though not always.
>
> jmc

Maybe she is deficient in a chemical.

are cystitis crystals water soluble?

try adding some fat to her diet, that's what soap is made of .. fat

this will help clean her pee pee

lol

cybercat
April 14th 07, 05:19 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 14, 7:03 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> On the road again ;-)
>
> Turn the page
>

That works for a while. But the book eventually comes
to and end, and all you've got is a suckass book full of
very sad pages.

Barry
April 14th 07, 08:07 PM
On Apr 14, 12:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Apr 14, 7:03 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> On the road again ;-)
>
> > Turn the page
>
> That works for a while. But the book eventually comes
> to and end, and all you've got is a suckass book full of
> very sad pages.

I am so sick of being your bitch, I put up with your ass because I
knew how much pain you we're in! but it's enough!
It's a tall order for a patient muther****er, and I was the closest
thing you are ever going to lay eyes on.

cybercat
April 14th 07, 09:31 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 14, 12:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Barry" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > On Apr 14, 7:03 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> >> On the road again ;-)
>>
>> > Turn the page
>>
>> That works for a while. But the book eventually comes
>> to and end, and all you've got is a suckass book full of
>> very sad pages.
>
> I am so sick of being your bitch, I put up with your ass because I
> knew how much pain you we're in! but it's enough!
> It's a tall order for a patient muther****er, and I was the closest
> thing you are ever going to lay eyes on.
>

Oh, I'm sorry, did I play too rough?

lol

cybercat
April 14th 07, 09:38 PM
"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 14, 12:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Barry" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > On Apr 14, 7:03 am, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> >> On the road again ;-)
>>
>> > Turn the page
>>
>> That works for a while. But the book eventually comes
>> to and end, and all you've got is a suckass book full of
>> very sad pages.
>
> I am so sick of being your bitch, I put up with your ass because I
> knew how much pain you we're in! but it's enough!
> It's a tall order for a patient muther****er, and I was the closest
> thing you are ever going to lay eyes on.
>

Meanwhile, I was just commenting on your "turn the page"
philosophy. You have things to fix, we all do. Hiding your head
in the sand or "turning the page" as you put it, is why you are
where you are today. As for the rest of it? I hate to tell you
AGAIN Barry, but you're wrong. You got it wrong. AGAIN.
And it's nobody's fault but yours. Now go ahead and turn this
page. Anyone who calls horse**** HORSE**** when they see
it is nobody you want to know. And you are nobody I want to
know. Now surprise us all by berating me with all that impressive
rage you seem to think is so damned sexy. That's all you want
anything with a pulse for anyway.

jmc
April 15th 07, 09:09 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (14-Apr-07 8:22 PM):
> On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:
>
>> Well, Meep won't touch innards (or even outards)
>
> Yes, I know Jodi
>
> lol
>
> I eat innards! livers gizzards neck bones, collards etc
>
> I'm sorry it's more of this for her...
>
> why not resolve to change her diet.
> her water source and her food. I would. I think you should.
>
>
>
>
To what? I'm open to suggestions. She gets Britta filtered water at 3
different locations - one's a drinkwell. She gets Royal Canin urinary
control + Iams Mature dry, a bit more RC than the Iams. She gets as
much canned food as she'll eat, which isn't much. I add water and
glucosamine (greater than the suggested dose) to her food. She gets
additional dl-methonine if she starts showing signs of discomfort.

Aside from going back to 100% veterinary S/O, just not sure what else I
can do for her.

jmc

Barry
April 15th 07, 03:14 PM
On Apr 15, 4:09 am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (14-Apr-07 8:22 PM):
>
> > On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:
>
> >> Well, Meep won't touch innards (or even outards)
>
> > Yes, I know Jodi
>
> > lol
>
> > I eat innards! livers gizzards neck bones, collards etc
>
> > I'm sorry it's more of this for her...
>
> > why not resolve to change her diet.
> > her water source and her food. I would. I think you should.
>
> To what? I'm open to suggestions. She gets Britta filtered water at 3
> different locations - one's a drinkwell. She gets Royal Canin urinary
> control + Iams Mature dry, a bit more RC than the Iams. She gets as
> much canned food as she'll eat, which isn't much. I add water and
> glucosamine (greater than the suggested dose) to her food. She gets
> additional dl-methonine if she starts showing signs of discomfort.
>
> Aside from going back to 100% veterinary S/O, just not sure what else I
> can do for her.
>
> jmc

yeah, you're right... I bet the diet is fine

I've been reading a little bit

Now I see why you mention stress.. as.. stress can lower immunities..
thus.. allowing a bladder infection

do your cat get any sunshine?

jmc
April 16th 07, 09:49 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (15-Apr-07 11:44 PM):
> On Apr 15, 4:09 am, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (14-Apr-07 8:22 PM):
>>
>>> On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:

>>> why not resolve to change her diet.
>>> her water source and her food. I would. I think you should.
>> To what? I'm open to suggestions. She gets Britta filtered water at 3
>> different locations - one's a drinkwell. She gets Royal Canin urinary
>> control + Iams Mature dry, a bit more RC than the Iams. She gets as
>> much canned food as she'll eat, which isn't much. I add water and
>> glucosamine (greater than the suggested dose) to her food. She gets
>> additional dl-methonine if she starts showing signs of discomfort.
>>
>> Aside from going back to 100% veterinary S/O, just not sure what else I
>> can do for her.
>>
>> jmc
>
> yeah, you're right... I bet the diet is fine
>
> I've been reading a little bit
>
> Now I see why you mention stress.. as.. stress can lower immunities..
> thus.. allowing a bladder infection
>
> do your cat get any sunshine?
>

We live in Australia. 'nuf said :)

She gets as much sunshine as she wants in the windows, and gets plenty
on the weekends (she's outdoors only under supervision).

So, no Vitamin D deficiency.

jmc

Barry
April 16th 07, 12:04 PM
On Apr 16, 4:49 am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (15-Apr-07 11:44 PM):
>
>
>
> > On Apr 15, 4:09 am, jmc > wrote:
> >> Suddenly, without warning, Barry exclaimed (14-Apr-07 8:22 PM):
>
> >>> On Apr 14, 2:39 am, jmc > wrote:
> >>> why not resolve to change her diet.
> >>> her water source and her food. I would. I think you should.
> >> To what? I'm open to suggestions. She gets Britta filtered water at 3
> >> different locations - one's a drinkwell. She gets Royal Canin urinary
> >> control + Iams Mature dry, a bit more RC than the Iams. She gets as
> >> much canned food as she'll eat, which isn't much. I add water and
> >> glucosamine (greater than the suggested dose) to her food. She gets
> >> additional dl-methonine if she starts showing signs of discomfort.
>
> >> Aside from going back to 100% veterinary S/O, just not sure what else I
> >> can do for her.
>
> >> jmc
>
> > yeah, you're right... I bet the diet is fine
>
> > I've been reading a little bit
>
> > Now I see why you mention stress.. as.. stress can lower immunities..
> > thus.. allowing a bladder infection
>
> > do your cat get any sunshine?
>
> We live in Australia. 'nuf said :)
>
> She gets as much sunshine as she wants in the windows, and gets plenty
> on the weekends (she's outdoors only under supervision).
>
> So, no Vitamin D deficiency.
>
> jmc

cool beans

I don't know anything about bladder infections.. I know in women if
they have short uretha tube or something like that... they can get
them more often...
something bout wiping their butts from the wrong direction