PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Peewee (1991-2007)

-L.
April 13th 07, 08:42 PM
By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.

I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
fur babies an extra kiss today.

love,
-L.

22brix
April 13th 07, 09:01 PM
I am so very, very sorry.

Bonnie

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

CatNipped
April 13th 07, 09:02 PM
What a beautiful, sweet tribute to Peewee, Lyn. I know what you're going
through right now and I wish there were something I could say to help make
the pain go away but, unfortunately, there isn't anything that anyone can do
except grieve along with you. I think we all feel of our beloved departed
pets that, "If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever."

Hugs,

CatNipped

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

April 13th 07, 09:23 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Purrs of comfort for you.
Peewee was well loved and you continued to be a loving
mother and helped him on his way so he wouldn't suffer.

Debbie

On Apr 13, 3:42 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

cindys
April 13th 07, 10:33 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
--------------
What a sweet story, but it's always bittersweet, isn't it? Even as we choose
the kitten, we know that someday, it will come to this, and our hearts will
break, but we always take him home anyway. Purrs to you to heal your aching
heart.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bookie
April 13th 07, 10:51 PM
On 13 Apr, 20:42, "-L." > wrote:
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

i am really sorry for your loss, i know it was hard to make the
decision and let him go but it was for the best and he will thank you
for it, he drew his last breathe whilst surrounded by love which the
way we all want our furbabies to go.

in time you will be able to give your love to a new little furbaby,
there will be another little kitty who needs your care and love badly
and i am sure peewee would want you to share your home with a little
furry fellow who needs a mum

hugs from bookie, jessie and terri (who sat on my lap for the first
time tonight, not such a scaredy cat after all, i feel very
priviledged)

Annie Wxill
April 13th 07, 10:57 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> By sweet boy is gone. ...
> -L.
Lyn,
Deepest condolences on your loss. It is indeed one of the hardest decisions
we can make.
Hugs,
Annie

cybercat
April 13th 07, 11:50 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

Lyn, I am crying with you. He has been a good friend to you for so long,
and you have been the best friend he ever could have had.

mlbriggs
April 14th 07, 01:22 AM
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:42:10 -0700, -L. wrote:

> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

"Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Your story reminds me so much how my Siamese changed from a beautiful
solid kitty with dark fur to a wispy, almost all white kitty weighing
only about 3 pounds. Sincere condolences. MLB

Cheryl
April 14th 07, 01:57 AM
On Fri 13 Apr 2007 03:42:10p, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little
> black kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other,
> beating each other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really
> big head and wide nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he
> would grow to be the handsome boy that he was. He was the only
> kitten that didn't have a home, and he kept reaching his little
> black paw out between the bars, and grabbing my fingers, so that
> sealed the deal. That was in April, 16 years ago. He had a
> good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your fur babies an
> extra kiss today.

I just hugged and kissed them all.

(((((((((((LYN))))))))))))

One day when you're ready, you'll be picked by another furry owner
that might remind you of pooh, or maybe not. Or maybe down the
road, the new furry owner might do something that reminds you of
him.

--
Cheryl

Patty
April 14th 07, 02:28 AM
On 13 Apr 2007 12:42:10 -0700, -L. wrote:

> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel. Please know that
you did the best for PeeWee and that your love for him was strong enough to
let him go. I know he's waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you now. Best
wishes.

Patty

blkcatgal
April 14th 07, 04:46 AM
I feel your pain....my thoughts are with you.

S.

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

Elizabeth Blake
April 14th 07, 04:56 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about Peewee. I'm going to give my little black guy
an extra hug & scritch right now.

--
Liz

-L.
April 14th 07, 06:23 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:
> I'm very sorry to hear about Peewee. I'm going to give my little black guy
> an extra hug & scritch right now.
>
> --
> Liz

Thanks to all who responded. I'm still in shock. I have dreaded this
day for 16 years and I finally had to make the decision. It's killing
me, but I know it was the right thing to do.

-L.

cybercat
April 14th 07, 07:27 AM
"-L." > wrote

> Thanks to all who responded. I'm still in shock. I have dreaded this
> day for 16 years and I finally had to make the decision. It's killing
> me, but I know it was the right thing to do.

Lyn,

You gave Peewee a great gift, hard as it was to do. I know it will hurt
for a long time, but you're right--you did the right thing and the kind
thing.
The best thing for your sweet boy. Be good to yourself. I love you.

Cyber and the girls.

-L.
April 14th 07, 07:56 AM
cybercat wrote:

> Lyn,
>
> You gave Peewee a great gift, hard as it was to do. I know it will hurt
> for a long time, but you're right--you did the right thing and the kind
> thing.
> The best thing for your sweet boy. Be good to yourself. I love you.
>
> Cyber and the girls.

Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
long to euthanize a pet. If you notice they are going down hill
rapidly, make a decision, because the next day might be too late. I
think I chose the exact right day for Peewee because I honestly think
he wouldn't have lasted another day, yet he was still able to purr. I
initially tried to get the vet to come Wednesday, but they couldn't
come until Firday morning. He seemed a bit perkier Wed PM, so kept my
Firday appointment, instead of going in some place to have it done,
which he would have hated. When I did my dog Tosh a couple years ago,
I had so many doubts as to whether or not it was the right time. With
Peewee I didn't have those doubts - he was ready, and needed relief.

The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
reflective of what I think other people should do.

Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.
..
-L.

sheelagh
April 14th 07, 12:12 PM
On 14 Apr, 07:56, "-L." > wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
> > Lyn,
>
> > You gave Peewee a great gift, hard as it was to do. I know it will hurt
> > for a long time, but you're right--you did the right thing and the kind
> > thing.
> > The best thing for your sweet boy. Be good to yourself. I love you.
>
> > Cyber and the girls.
>
> Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
> long to euthanize a pet. If you notice they are going down hill
> rapidly, make a decision, because the next day might be too late. I
> think I chose the exact right day for Peewee because I honestly think
> he wouldn't have lasted another day, yet he was still able to purr. I
> initially tried to get the vet to come Wednesday, but they couldn't
> come until Firday morning. He seemed a bit perkier Wed PM, so kept my
> Firday appointment, instead of going in some place to have it done,
> which he would have hated. When I did my dog Tosh a couple years ago,
> I had so many doubts as to whether or not it was the right time. With
> Peewee I didn't have those doubts - he was ready, and needed relief.
>
> The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
> ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
> outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
> that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
> femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
> Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
> through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
> reflective of what I think other people should do.
>
> Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
> will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.
> .
> -L.

Our sincere condolences to you. I wish we could take the pain away
from you, but it is one of those things that we have to bare alone...

Each day will become a little bit easier as time goes by, because you
will know that deep in your soul, you gave him the best gift a slave
can give..rest from the pain...
He will wait for you @ the Rainbow Bridge on the day when we meet all
of our loved ones,

With Sympathy,

Sheelagh & Family

kraut
April 14th 07, 01:57 PM
>By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
>quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
>and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
>purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
>couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
>he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
>good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
>breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
>becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
>wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
>and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
>I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
>kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
>other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
>nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
>handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
>home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
>and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
>16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
>fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
>love,
>-L.

My an my Furbabies prayers and purrs are with you and your.

God bless.

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ >}=

April 14th 07, 05:17 PM
"-L." > wrote

> Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
> long to euthanize a pet.

I second this. I did this with my first cat, and still regret it.

> The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
> ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
> outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
> that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
> femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.

I might get an enclosure for my cats one day, but I have to say, they
seem so happy inside, looking out their windows, playing and taking
naps. Maybe it depends on where you live--we are in the city and close
enough to the beltline that Gracie sometimes gets spooked by the truck
sounds sitting in her window! Also, the rabbits and chipmunks and birds
are so used to hanging out and playingi in the yard, they'd be hating life
if I let the cats out. (We have a fenced yard but it is chain link and I
have
no doubt they could jump it.)

> Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
> through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
> reflective of what I think other people should do.
>
> Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
> will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.

I really hope so too, Lyn. {hug}

Patty
April 14th 07, 08:14 PM
On 13 Apr 2007 23:56:43 -0700, -L. wrote:

> The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
> ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
> outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
> that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
> femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
> Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
> through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
> reflective of what I think other people should do.
>
> Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
> will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.

Mine have always been outdoor cats. I tried to make Rusty an indoor only
cat and, well, when he nearly destroyed my house I finally relented and let
him outside. Since he came from generations of farm cats, I think it was
in his genes. He needed to roam and hunt and, now in his old days, has
finally slowed down, but even at 16, he still needs to go out and sit on
the deck and explore his close neighborhood (our yard and a few close to
us).

Best wishes to you.

Patty

bookie
April 15th 07, 12:01 AM
On 14 Apr, 20:14, Patty > wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2007 23:56:43 -0700, -L. wrote:
>
> > The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
> > ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
> > outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
> > that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
> > femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
> > Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
> > through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
> > reflective of what I think other people should do.
>
> > Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
> > will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.
>
> Mine have always been outdoor cats. I tried to make Rusty an indoor only
> cat and, well, when he nearly destroyed my house I finally relented and let
> him outside. Since he came from generations of farm cats, I think it was
> in his genes. He needed to roam and hunt and, now in his old days, has
> finally slowed down, but even at 16, he still needs to go out and sit on
> the deck and explore his close neighborhood (our yard and a few close to
> us).
>
> Best wishes to you.
>
> Patty

i could never keep a cat purely indoors only, to me it would be just
cruel, and anyway i don't live in a busy town or road so no need. if i
did live on a busy road (unlikely as I would not choose to) I just
would not have cats as I would not be able to let them out and that
would be no life for a cat in my mind.

the last 3 cats I have had have all been old codgers who are
streetwise or just don't feel the need to wander out much except into
the back yard to do a routine inspection then back indoors for a nap,
and like you lyn i woudl feel i was depriving them of one of the few
last pleasures they have by denying them access to the great outdoors
(what am i saying? we have such a tiny back garden, it is not what you
would call a rambling wilderness but there are birds and butterflies
and places to snooze under bushes and new smells etc to stimulate
them). i could not possibly keep them entertained indoors, and i like
to see them when they go out side into the garden inthe morning and
inspect the place and watch some birds, it helps keep them alert and
active I think.

jessie and terri send more purrs your way and hope you are feelnig a
bit better today

bookie

Tara Legale
April 15th 07, 12:39 AM
"bookie" > wrote
> i could never keep a cat purely indoors only, to me it would be just
> cruel

To each their own I guess. My cats have always been indoors. However, I
have (until the last 5 years) always lived in a large busy city. Now I live
in the country but still feel much more at ease knowing my cats are indoors
and away from any dangers. We have a lot of bear and wolves around us. I
see nothing cruel about keeping a cat indoors. My six cats get outdoor time
supervised by us, and they have their window perches, their comfy beds and
each other, I can only imagine they are quite happy. Also all my cats seem
to live to near 20 years old, 22-1/2 was my oldest. I have to think if they
were outdoors all the time, their lives would be shorter.

Michael Lane
April 15th 07, 12:44 AM
L wrote:

>By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him
> today. He went pretty quickly. This
> morning I took

Vaya Con Dios sweet Pee Wee. You will hurt no more. My sincerest
condolences.

Mike Lane. Snowflake Girl, Rainy Boy,
Luvy & Little Blackie

Luna's Mom[_2_]
April 15th 07, 04:24 AM
-L. wrote:
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty
> quickly. This morning I took him out and sat on the steps with him,
> and held him, petting his head and ears which he loved. He was
> purring pretty heavily and really seemed to enjoy it. The vet came a
> couple hours later, gave him a sed, and I held him and stroked him as
> he went under, and told him how much I loved him and that he was a
> good kitty. Then he was injected with the euth solution, took a final
> breath, and that was it. I'm glad I chose today because it was
> becoming more and more difficult for him to function. He was weak and
> wobbly, and just a shell of his former self - he used to weigh 22lb,
> and was barely 5 now, if even that. His meow was weak. It was time.
>
> I still remember the day I chose him - a cage full of little black
> kittens, maybe 5 weeks old, playing with each other, beating each
> other up. Peewee was the biggest and had a really big head and wide
> nose - he looked really funny, but I knew he would grow to be the
> handsome boy that he was. He was the only kitten that didn't have a
> home, and he kept reaching his little black paw out between the bars,
> and grabbing my fingers, so that sealed the deal. That was in April,
> 16 years ago. He had a good life, and I miss him terribly. Give your
> fur babies an extra kiss today.
>
> love,
> -L.

Thinking of you, -L. Peewee is now with my precious Dudley up there at
the bridge. I bet they are having a grand time.

Purrs and hugs,
Pam Tim and Luna

Barry
April 15th 07, 05:21 AM
On Apr 13, 3:42 pm, "-L." > wrote:
> By sweet boy is gone. I euthanized him today. He went pretty

> love,
> -L.

Sorry to hear about your loss

Matthew
April 15th 07, 08:58 AM
I am so sorry that you had to do this but you gave the best gift you can.

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> Lyn,
>>
>> You gave Peewee a great gift, hard as it was to do. I know it will hurt
>> for a long time, but you're right--you did the right thing and the kind
>> thing.
>> The best thing for your sweet boy. Be good to yourself. I love you.
>>
>> Cyber and the girls.
>
> Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
> long to euthanize a pet. If you notice they are going down hill
> rapidly, make a decision, because the next day might be too late. I
> think I chose the exact right day for Peewee because I honestly think
> he wouldn't have lasted another day, yet he was still able to purr. I
> initially tried to get the vet to come Wednesday, but they couldn't
> come until Firday morning. He seemed a bit perkier Wed PM, so kept my
> Firday appointment, instead of going in some place to have it done,
> which he would have hated. When I did my dog Tosh a couple years ago,
> I had so many doubts as to whether or not it was the right time. With
> Peewee I didn't have those doubts - he was ready, and needed relief.
>
> The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
> ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
> outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
> that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
> femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
> Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
> through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
> reflective of what I think other people should do.
>
> Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
> will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.
> .
> -L.

bookie
April 15th 07, 11:13 PM
On 15 Apr, 00:39, "Tara Legale" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote
>
> > i could never keep a cat purely indoors only, to me it would be just
> > cruel
>
> To each their own I guess. My cats have always been indoors. However, I
> have (until the last 5 years) always lived in a large busy city. Now I live
> in the country but still feel much more at ease knowing my cats are indoors
> and away from any dangers. We have a lot of bear and wolves around us. I
> see nothing cruel about keeping a cat indoors. My six cats get outdoor time
> supervised by us, and they have their window perches, their comfy beds and
> each other, I can only imagine they are quite happy. Also all my cats seem
> to live to near 20 years old, 22-1/2 was my oldest. I have to think if they
> were outdoors all the time, their lives would be shorter.

i live in england, we don't do bears and wolves here, no such dangers
lurking anywhere near my back garden, and as they do not stray far i
have no worries about letting them out and leaving the back door open

CatNipped
April 16th 07, 04:53 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "-L." > wrote
>>
>> Thanks. A couple of things came out of this for me: Don't wait too
>> long to euthanize a pet.
>
> I second this. I did this with my first cat, and still regret it.
>

>> The second thing that I got out of this is that I'm not sure I could
>> ever have another indoor-only cat. The joy Peewee got out of being
>> outside his last couple weeks of life were astounding. I sort of feel
>> that unless I lived in a place where I could have an enclosed or
>> femced outdoor area for my cats, I wouldn't ever get another cat.
>
> I might get an enclosure for my cats one day, but I have to say, they
> seem so happy inside, looking out their windows, playing and taking
> naps. Maybe it depends on where you live--we are in the city and close
> enough to the beltline that Gracie sometimes gets spooked by the truck
> sounds sitting in her window! Also, the rabbits and chipmunks and birds
> are so used to hanging out and playingi in the yard, they'd be hating life
> if I let the cats out. (We have a fenced yard but it is chain link and I
> have
> no doubt they could jump it.)

I was just thinking about posting one of Jessie's funny behaviors, and the
turn this thread took lends itself to it...

When I feed the cats their evening meal, Jessie comes speeding into the
kitchen from wherever in the house she happens to be as soon as she hears
the familiar sound of supper being served. However, she's not rushing in to
eat - she's rushing in to take up her favorite spot for squirrel watching
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Jessie20/).

The evening meal is when I toss out the uneaten dry food* to the outside
strays and other hungry animals. The neighborhood squirrels have come to
associate my high-pitched "Kitty, kitty hungry?" call with a free buffet
(Ben once saw two squirrels racing through the tree-tops from four houses
away to come and get their expected snack!).

*They have Fancy Feast for their main meal twice a day, but I also put out
some Science Diet dry for occasional snacking between meals - they only eat
about a half a cup among the four of them, but I always put out a little
over a cup for them (being the psuedo-Jewish mother that I am).

Hugs,

CatNipped

>> Mind you, this is my personal feeling about it, having just gone
>> through what I have over the last few weeks, and is in no way
>> reflective of what I think other people should do.
>>
>> Anyway, that's just my musings at this day's end. I hope tomorrow
>> will bring some happiness to replace my sorrow.
>
> I really hope so too, Lyn. {hug}

cybercat
April 16th 07, 06:39 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> The evening meal is when I toss out the uneaten dry food* to the outside
> strays and other hungry animals. The neighborhood squirrels have come to
> associate my high-pitched "Kitty, kitty hungry?" call with a free buffet
> (Ben once saw two squirrels racing through the tree-tops from four houses
> away to come and get their expected snack!).

That's precious. Jessie is your little girlycat that I covet. She is so
delicately
made and beautiful. If you see your squirrels start hunting mice, you might
have a problem! On the other hand, the mice might have a problem ...

> *They have Fancy Feast for their main meal twice a day, but I also put out
> some Science Diet dry for occasional snacking between meals - they only
> eat about a half a cup among the four of them, but I always put out a
> little over a cup for them (being the psuedo-Jewish mother that I am).

heh! I just got finished scolding Boo for eating ALL of her breakfast and
finding Gracie's too and hoovering that down, lol. Now I have to give her
just half a can tonight. I just gave Gracie another half-can. She just
nibbles.
I leave her dry because of that, and because Boo doesn't like this dry--
Purina One Salmon--and won't eat it. Gracie stays right at 7 and 1/4 lbs
in the summer and goes up to a whopping 7 and 1/2 lbs in the winter.