PDA

View Full Version : Liver

Stacey Weinberger
April 15th 07, 05:52 AM
Hi,

My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped throwing
up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The vet found
none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to bring him back
today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up liquid this morning
at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays showed nothing but the
blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in September. I
forgot to ask how bad this might be. Julian got more sub-q fluids and a
prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't start eating by Monday to
bring him back in for an IV.

Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means? Does a
cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good and I
trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him there.

Thanks,

Stacey

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.

-- Emerson

cindys
April 15th 07, 06:09 AM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hi,
>
> My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
> lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
> and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped throwing
> up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The vet found
> none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to bring him
> back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up liquid this
> morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays showed nothing
> but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in
> September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be. Julian got more sub-q
> fluids and a prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't start eating
> by Monday to bring him back in for an IV.
>
> Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
> that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means? Does
> a cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good and I
> trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him there.
----------
I don't know too much about this, but not too long ago, another person
posted that his cat needed dental work done and the liver enzymes had
skyrocketed. Someone else posted that if a cat hasn't eaten in a day or two,
the cat can start to develop hepatic acidosis due to fatty liver, which will
cause the liver enzymes to go way up. The theory in the case of the other
poster's cat was that the cat wasn't eating because his teeth hurt. The
result was that the vet rehydrated the cat with subcu fluids and did the
dental work, and then the cat was eating soft foods and was presumably fine.
I don't know if any of this applies to your cat, but I just thought I would
pass it along.
Purrs for Julian's complete recovery.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Matilda
April 15th 07, 06:17 AM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hi,
>
> My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
> lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
> and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped throwing
> up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The vet found
> none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to bring him
> back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up liquid this
> morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays showed nothing
> but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in
> September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be.

You forgot to ask?? Oh my....................

So why don't you pick up the phone, call the vet and ask??

Stacey Weinberger
April 15th 07, 06:32 AM
>> Hi,
>>
>> My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
>> lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
>> and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped
>> throwing up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The
>> vet found none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to
>> bring him back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up
>> liquid this morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays
>> showed nothing but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They
>> were 81 in September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be.
>
> You forgot to ask?? Oh my....................

I thought I had asked everything. I was in a little bit of a shock and
forgot this.

> So why don't you pick up the phone, call the vet and ask??

Because it's 10:30 at night and the office is closed.

I'm not a negligent pet owner. I take very good care of my cats and don't
worry how much it will cost. Sometimes a person forgets to ask some thing.

Stacey Weinberger
April 15th 07, 06:35 AM
>> Hi,
>>
>> My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
>> lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
>> and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped
>> throwing up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The
>> vet found none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to
>> bring him back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up
>> liquid this morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays
>> showed nothing but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They
>> were 81 in September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be. Julian got
>> more sub-q fluids and a prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't
>> start eating by Monday to bring him back in for an IV.
>>
>> Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
>> that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means?
>> Does a cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good
>> and I trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him
>> there.
> ----------
> I don't know too much about this, but not too long ago, another person
> posted that his cat needed dental work done and the liver enzymes had
> skyrocketed. Someone else posted that if a cat hasn't eaten in a day or
> two, the cat can start to develop hepatic acidosis due to fatty liver,
> which will cause the liver enzymes to go way up. The theory in the case of
> the other poster's cat was that the cat wasn't eating because his teeth
> hurt. The result was that the vet rehydrated the cat with subcu fluids and
> did the dental work, and then the cat was eating soft foods and was
> presumably fine. I don't know if any of this applies to your cat, but I
> just thought I would pass it along.
> Purrs for Julian's complete recovery.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Thank you very much! Julian's teeth are fine. The vet throught he might
have eaten something that caused this. He does "graze" in the flower boxes
on the deck with no problem. I'm wondering if a stray weed got in there and
he ate part of it. I pulled up any suspicious plants after we got home. I
did bring up fatty liver disease with the vet. That was why I brought
Julian in on Friday and didn't wait to see if he would get better.

Stacey

Tara Legale
April 15th 07, 06:57 AM
Hasn't all these food recalls been tied to liver problems and liver failure?

Stacey Weinberger
April 15th 07, 07:01 AM
Julian doesn't get any of those foods. He is on a grain-free diet because
he can't tolerate them.

"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Hasn't all these food recalls been tied to liver problems and liver
> failure?

cindys
April 15th 07, 07:08 AM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
>>> lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't
>>> better and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped
>>> throwing up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The
>>> vet found none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to
>>> bring him back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up
>>> liquid this morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays
>>> showed nothing but the blood work showed his liver values were 194.
>>> They were 81 in September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be.
>>> Julian got more sub-q fluids and a prescription of SAMe. The vet said
>>> if he didn't start eating by Monday to bring him back in for an IV.
>>>
>>> Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
>>> that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means?
>>> Does a cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good
>>> and I trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him
>>> there.
>> ----------
>> I don't know too much about this, but not too long ago, another person
>> posted that his cat needed dental work done and the liver enzymes had
>> skyrocketed. Someone else posted that if a cat hasn't eaten in a day or
>> two, the cat can start to develop hepatic acidosis due to fatty liver,
>> which will cause the liver enzymes to go way up. The theory in the case
>> of the other poster's cat was that the cat wasn't eating because his
>> teeth hurt. The result was that the vet rehydrated the cat with subcu
>> fluids and did the dental work, and then the cat was eating soft foods
>> and was presumably fine. I don't know if any of this applies to your cat,
>> but I just thought I would pass it along.
>> Purrs for Julian's complete recovery.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Thank you very much! Julian's teeth are fine. The vet throught he might
> have eaten something that caused this. He does "graze" in the flower
> boxes on the deck with no problem. I'm wondering if a stray weed got in
> there and he ate part of it. I pulled up any suspicious plants after we
> got home. I did bring up fatty liver disease with the vet. That was why
> I brought Julian in on Friday and didn't wait to see if he would get
> better.
-----------
I wasn't really thinking so much that there was something wrong with
Julian's teeth (although that was the issue for the other poster). I think I
was mostly focused on your statement that you were afraid that Julian was
dying. What I was really trying to say (in a roundabout way) was "Hey, look,
this other person's cat also had elevated liver enzymes, and once the
problem was discovered and the cat had adequate fluid support and started to
eat again, he turned out fine." So, please think positive because there is
every reason to hope that Julian will have a similar happy outcome. Please
keep us posted.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cindys
April 15th 07, 07:09 AM
"Tara Legale" > wrote in message
> Hasn't all these food recalls been tied to liver problems and liver
> failure?
--------
I thought the recalled foods were about acute kidney failure.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Stacey Weinberger
April 15th 07, 07:15 AM
>>> I don't know too much about this, but not too long ago, another person
>>> posted that his cat needed dental work done and the liver enzymes had
>>> skyrocketed. Someone else posted that if a cat hasn't eaten in a day or
>>> two, the cat can start to develop hepatic acidosis due to fatty liver,
>>> which will cause the liver enzymes to go way up. The theory in the case
>>> of the other poster's cat was that the cat wasn't eating because his
>>> teeth hurt. The result was that the vet rehydrated the cat with subcu
>>> fluids and did the dental work, and then the cat was eating soft foods
>>> and was presumably fine. I don't know if any of this applies to your
>>> cat, but I just thought I would pass it along.
>>> Purrs for Julian's complete recovery.
>>> Best regards,
>>> ---Cindy S.
>>
>> Thank you very much! Julian's teeth are fine. The vet throught he might
>> have eaten something that caused this. He does "graze" in the flower
>> boxes on the deck with no problem. I'm wondering if a stray weed got in
>> there and he ate part of it. I pulled up any suspicious plants after we
>> got home. I did bring up fatty liver disease with the vet. That was why
>> I brought Julian in on Friday and didn't wait to see if he would get
>> better.
> -----------
> I wasn't really thinking so much that there was something wrong with
> Julian's teeth (although that was the issue for the other poster). I think
> I was mostly focused on your statement that you were afraid that Julian
> was dying. What I was really trying to say (in a roundabout way) was "Hey,
> look, this other person's cat also had elevated liver enzymes, and once
> the problem was discovered and the cat had adequate fluid support and
> started to eat again, he turned out fine." So, please think positive
> because there is every reason to hope that Julian will have a similar
> happy outcome. Please keep us posted.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Oh I see! Thank you! Thank you very much for your support and not accusing
me of being a bad pet owner. He got fluids at the vet yesterday and today.
I've been giving him some chicken broth in an eye dropper and slippery elm
syrup from Anitra Frazer's New Natual Cat Book. Thank you for your concern.
I'll let you know what happens.

Stacey

Noon Cat Nick
April 15th 07, 09:31 PM
Stacey Weinberger wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
>lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
>and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped throwing
>up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The vet found
>none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to bring him back
>today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up liquid this morning
>at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays showed nothing but the
>blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in September. I
>forgot to ask how bad this might be. Julian got more sub-q fluids and a
>prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't start eating by Monday to
>bring him back in for an IV.
>
>Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
>that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means? Does a
>cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good and I
>trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him there.

A normal liver enzyme reading for a cat is around 100, so 194 signifies
an elevated level (obviously).

Many disorders can cause an elevated liver enzyme reading. Go to
http://www.fabcats.org/liverdisease.html for more info. HTH.

buglady
April 15th 07, 11:32 PM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
The x-rays showed nothing but the
> blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in September.
> forgot to ask how bad this might be.

.........get copies of all bloodwork, makes it easier to check what blood
values mean, then you have them also to compare over time.

Julian got more sub-q fluids and a
> prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't start eating by Monday to
> bring him back in for an IV.
>
> Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic.

.......Is he grooming still? If so, paint a little food on his paws to see
if he'll lick it off. If he keeps that down, do it again. Sometimes cats
get sick, quit eating and forget to start again. I have a feral I just had
to do this to for the second time in 7 years. Since I can't handle her I
got a long stick, taped a pastry brush on the end and painted her with only
about 1 tbsp of food. She ate a bit that night and was back to normal the
next day.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Stacey Weinberger
April 16th 07, 12:24 AM
"buglady" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> The x-rays showed nothing but the
>> blood work showed his liver values were 194. They were 81 in September.
>> forgot to ask how bad this might be.
>
> ........get copies of all bloodwork, makes it easier to check what blood
> values mean, then you have them also to compare over time.
>
> Julian got more sub-q fluids and a
>> prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't start eating by Monday
>> bring him back in for an IV.
>>
>> Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic.
>
> ......Is he grooming still? If so, paint a little food on his paws to see
> if he'll lick it off. If he keeps that down, do it again. Sometimes cats
> get sick, quit eating and forget to start again. I have a feral I just
> had
> to do this to for the second time in 7 years. Since I can't handle her I
> got a long stick, taped a pastry brush on the end and painted her with
> only
> about 1 tbsp of food. She ate a bit that night and was back to normal the
> next day.
>
> buglady

This is a good idea. I put some babyfood on his paw and he ignored it. I
put some on my finger and then put it in his mouth and did this few times
and he swallowed it. No nausea. How often should I do this?

Thank you!

Stacey

buglady
April 16th 07, 02:23 PM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> This is a good idea. I put some babyfood on his paw and he ignored it. I
> put some on my finger and then put it in his mouth and did this few times
> and he swallowed it. No nausea. How often should I do this?

........If you're not seeing nausea, try to get a tablespoon in him then let
him alone for a few hours and try again. The object is to get enough food
in him, even if it's only 1/4 of what he normally eats, to keep him from
going into hepatic lipidosis. Liver problems make you feel nauseous so
there may be a good reason he's not interested. I'd keep trying put a bit
on his paws to see if he has any inclination to eat. If he's a good groomer
(and some are not!) when food no longer seems so nausea making he'll lick it
off. Then you can try some added enticements to give the food more odor and
he should eat OK. Would he have any interest in yogurt?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Rene S.
April 16th 07, 06:45 PM
> This is a good idea. I put some babyfood on his paw and he ignored it. I
> put some on my finger and then put it in his mouth and did this few times
> and he swallowed it. No nausea. How often should I do this?

Have you asked your vet about giving him some canned Hills a/d? it's a
high-calorie food made for ailing cats. I've spread some on my finger
and my Tucker would eat that when nothing else worked. Keep trying to
give him food, anything he'll eat right now, so he doesn't develop
further health problems. I wish you luck. I know how stressful this
is.

Rene