PDA

View Full Version : new Wellness dry food

---MIKE---
April 15th 07, 10:39 PM
Wellness sent me some samples of their new dry cat food. It was
introduced in January and they eliminated the garlic. They didn't think
there was enough garlic to be a problem but the public conception of a
problem led them to make the change. I feed mostly canned food but use
the dry for bedtime treats. So far the cats like the new food.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cindys
April 15th 07, 11:46 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Wellness sent me some samples of their new dry cat food. It was
introduced in January and they eliminated the garlic. They didn't think
there was enough garlic to be a problem but the public conception of a
problem led them to make the change. I feed mostly canned food but use
the dry for bedtime treats. So far the cats like the new food.

--------
This afternoon, I ordered a case of Wellness canned food from Pet Food
Direct before someone else on this forum mentioned that it contains garlic.
When I was checking the ingredients, I was focused on the first four or five
ingredients, so completely missed the garlic. My gut reaction was to try to
cancel the order or change it to a different cat food. Now, I think maybe
I'm overreacting. I'm kind of in a quandry regarding what to do. I am torn
between feeding Alex, my CRF kitty, the Wellness versus the NF prescription
kidney diet. He was cured of diabetes last year and is not supposed to be
eating high carbohydrate cat food. But the kidney diet, being low protein,
is high carbohydrate (if you eliminate one ingredient, you have to fill the
gap with something else). OTOH, I don't know that I'm convinced that there
is any validity to the current wisdom that the low protein content of a
prescription diet helps the kidneys not to have to work so hard and results
in prolonging the life of the cat. I have also read that while the reduction
in protein helps the kidney, it simultaneously leads to muscle atrophy
(wasting) because the cat is not getting enough protein to sustain his
muscles. OTOH, I am thinking maybe Alex should be on NF but stay on OM dry
for grazing and the other cats could do what ???
1. Eat the Wellness because it's a great quality cat food and the garlic
really is insignificant??

or

2. Stick with the Pet Promise canned food which is also great quality but
does contain more carbohydrates in the form of brown rice and potatoes (as
does some of the varieties of Wellness -- although not the Beef and Chicken,
which is the variety I ordered) ??

I would be interested in any thoughts on this subject. (The vet wants Alex
on the NF prescription canned food, which he will probably reject, the other
cats on a good quality canned food of my choice, and everybody on OM for dry
food).
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Spot
April 16th 07, 03:06 AM
Cindy you are correct that little or no protein will lead to atrophy. Years
ago that was the same thinking for people with kidney failure. Thank god it
has changed I am on dialysis myself and know that it's hammered into us that
we have to eat a certain amount of protien every day or else we will become
malnourished.

If he were my cat I think it would be better to feed him the protein and
keep the carbs at a minimum. The diabetes can be more life threatening and
cause more harm to the kidneys than the protien can.

Celeste

"cindys" > wrote in message

> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Wellness sent me some samples of their new dry cat food. It was
> introduced in January and they eliminated the garlic. They didn't think
> there was enough garlic to be a problem but the public conception of a
> problem led them to make the change. I feed mostly canned food but use
> the dry for bedtime treats. So far the cats like the new food.
>
> --------
> This afternoon, I ordered a case of Wellness canned food from Pet Food
> Direct before someone else on this forum mentioned that it contains
> garlic. When I was checking the ingredients, I was focused on the first
> four or five ingredients, so completely missed the garlic. My gut reaction
> was to try to cancel the order or change it to a different cat food. Now,
> I think maybe I'm overreacting. I'm kind of in a quandry regarding what to
> do. I am torn between feeding Alex, my CRF kitty, the Wellness versus the
> NF prescription kidney diet. He was cured of diabetes last year and is not
> supposed to be eating high carbohydrate cat food. But the kidney diet,
> being low protein, is high carbohydrate (if you eliminate one ingredient,
> you have to fill the gap with something else). OTOH, I don't know that I'm
> convinced that there is any validity to the current wisdom that the low
> protein content of a prescription diet helps the kidneys not to have to
> work so hard and results in prolonging the life of the cat. I have also
> read that while the reduction in protein helps the kidney, it
> simultaneously leads to muscle atrophy (wasting) because the cat is not
> getting enough protein to sustain his muscles. OTOH, I am thinking maybe
> Alex should be on NF but stay on OM dry for grazing and the other cats
> could do what ???
> 1. Eat the Wellness because it's a great quality cat food and the garlic
> really is insignificant??
>
> or
>
> 2. Stick with the Pet Promise canned food which is also great quality but
> does contain more carbohydrates in the form of brown rice and potatoes (as
> does some of the varieties of Wellness -- although not the Beef and
> Chicken, which is the variety I ordered) ??
>
> I would be interested in any thoughts on this subject. (The vet wants Alex
> on the NF prescription canned food, which he will probably reject, the
> other cats on a good quality canned food of my choice, and everybody on OM
> for dry food).
> Thanks in advance.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

cindys
April 16th 07, 03:21 AM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Cindy you are correct that little or no protein will lead to atrophy.
> Years ago that was the same thinking for people with kidney failure.
> Thank god it has changed I am on dialysis myself and know that it's
> hammered into us that we have to eat a certain amount of protien every day
> or else we will become malnourished.
>
> If he were my cat I think it would be better to feed him the protein and
> keep the carbs at a minimum. The diabetes can be more life threatening
> and cause more harm to the kidneys than the protien can.
>
> Celeste
----------
Thank you, Celeste.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

buglady
April 16th 07, 02:42 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
I'm kind of in a quandry regarding what to do. I am torn
> between feeding Alex, my CRF kitty, the Wellness versus the NF
prescription
> kidney diet. He was cured of diabetes last year and is not supposed to be
> eating high carbohydrate cat food. But the kidney diet, being low protein,
> is high carbohydrate (if you eliminate one ingredient, you have to fill
the
> gap with something else). OTOH, I don't know that I'm convinced that there
> is any validity to the current wisdom that the low protein content of a
> prescription diet helps the kidneys not to have to work so hard and
results
> in prolonging the life of the cat.

........Good for you! It's not the protein, but the phosphorus. If I were
you, I'd run not walk over to these forums run by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins,
who testified at the Senate hearings on the pet food issue.
Her testimony and rebuttal to the food industry:
http://yourdiabeticcat.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2536
A good place to start:
http://yourdiabeticcat.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

I have also read that while the reduction
> in protein helps the kidney, it simultaneously leads to muscle atrophy
> (wasting) because the cat is not getting enough protein to sustain his
> muscles.
...........I sent a cat off the planet in January. She was 20.5 and 2.5 yrs
earlier had been declared in moderate renal failure. I didn't change her
raw diet. Steve Crane was kind enough to email me when I posted about my
cat telling me if I got her on their Hills k/d product she'd live
longer.....right.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

barb
April 16th 07, 04:22 PM
I give my cat wellness dry food as a little something extra when she is done
with her canned Nutro Max. She stopped wanting to eat the Wellness cans a
while ago but I noticed on the bag of dry it says "no gluten" wheat" or
something to that effect.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

PawsForThought
April 16th 07, 07:04 PM
On Apr 16, 9:42 am, "buglady" > wrote:
> ..........I sent a cat off the planet in January. She was 20.5 and 2.5 yrs
> earlier had been declared in moderate renal failure. I didn't change her
> raw diet. Steve Crane was kind enough to email me when I posted about my
> cat telling me if I got her on their Hills k/d product she'd live
> longer.....right.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's a great age though and I'm glad to
hear you kept your kitty on the raw diet.

buglady
April 17th 07, 01:42 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> I'm sorry for your loss. That's a great age though and I'm glad to
> hear you kept your kitty on the raw diet.

..........well, that was pretty tongue in cheek about the diet! I went quite
a few rounds with ol' Steve the Hills rep before he quit posting.

........Yeah, I sure miss her, she was my bed cat. Took me 2 months to quit
setting out 6 food dishes.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

PawsForThought
April 18th 07, 01:26 AM
On Apr 16, 8:42�pm, "buglady" > wrote:
> "PawsForThought" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > I'm sorry for your loss. *That's a great age though and I'm glad to
> > hear you kept your kitty on the raw diet.
>
> .........well, that was pretty tongue in cheek about the diet! *I went quite
> a few rounds with ol' Steve the Hills rep before he quit posting.

That link you posted to what the vet said in response to all the
petfood industry's usual dialogue was great (I believe it was the
diabetic site). She sounds like she really knows her stuff.

> .......Yeah, I sure miss her, she was my bed cat. *Took me 2 months to quit
> setting out 6 food dishes.

It's so hard losing them :(