PDA

View Full Version : How much should I feed my cat

Dom
April 15th 07, 10:45 PM
I have one 35 lb cat (not on a diet) and a 12 lb cat. I give them 2
feedings a day. At each feeding they get a 3 oz can, so they each get
6 ounces a day, although the fat cat eats the other's food, so I'm
sure it is more like 5 vs 7 ounces a day.

Is this sufficient?

cybercat
April 15th 07, 11:10 PM
"Dom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have one 35 lb cat (not on a diet) and a 12 lb cat. I give them 2
> feedings a day. At each feeding they get a 3 oz can, so they each get
> 6 ounces a day, although the fat cat eats the other's food, so I'm
> sure it is more like 5 vs 7 ounces a day.
>
> Is this sufficient?

I would so "no" and I'd be reallyw worried about your 12-lb cat
not getting enough. He probably needs to taper down more slowly
than that. My 18 pound petite female ate two three-oz cans to get
down to 9 lbs, but I started her out on three cans a day and then
cut it by 1/4 and eventually by 1/3, vet's orders. Your 35-lb cat
might get into deep trouble if you cut him back that fast. (It is
very dangerous to starve cats, even temporarily.)

To keep one cat from eating the other's food, I put the skinny
cat's food on a night stand. (The fat cat could not jump that
high.) You can work out a way to make sure they both get
enough food.

Little Joe
April 15th 07, 11:17 PM
Dom wrote:
> I have one 35 lb cat (not on a diet) and a 12 lb cat. I give them 2
> feedings a day. At each feeding they get a 3 oz can, so they each get
> 6 ounces a day, although the fat cat eats the other's food, so I'm
> sure it is more like 5 vs 7 ounces a day.
>
> Is this sufficient?

If neither one of them have been to a vet recently, now would be a good
time for a visit and discussion with the vet regarding how you are going
to go about reducing their size.

Make no mistake, it is going to be difficult... with their antics they
will make you think they are starving.

Dom
April 16th 07, 12:47 AM
I won't be able to get to a vet in a few weeks. In the mean time, how
does this sound -- the fat cat gets 2 5oz cans a day, and the thin cat
gets a 5oz and a 3oz can each day.

Dom

On Apr 15, 5:45 pm, "Dom" > wrote:
> I have one 35 lb cat (not on a diet) and a 12 lb cat. I give them 2
> feedings a day. At each feeding they get a 3 oz can, so they each get
> 6 ounces a day, although the fat cat eats the other's food, so I'm
> sure it is more like 5 vs 7 ounces a day.
>
> Is this sufficient?

cybercat
April 16th 07, 01:02 AM
"Dom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I won't be able to get to a vet in a few weeks. In the mean time, how
> does this sound -- the fat cat gets 2 5oz cans a day, and the thin cat
> gets a 5oz and a 3oz can each day.

Good! You will be able to gauge how much they need after a couple of
days. You may be able to get by with less, what they leave behind will
let you know. Good luck! Let us know how the weight loss goes. My
tuxedo girl is very assertive, and she still makes it rough on me, feeding
her every 12 hours and keeping her out of little skinny Gracie's food!