PDA

View Full Version : Update - melamine in Natural Balance food - more products pulled


buglady
April 18th 07, 12:35 AM
USA Today article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalle
d_N.htm
But Natural Balance doesn’t use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in
a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. “That was the only change in the
product,” he says.

Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
* Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
* Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
* Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)

There is no rice protein concentrate listed on the bag of dry NB dog food.
There IS ground rice though (At least there wasn't last weekend - reports
are they may have changed it on the web.) . And there's that 6 month lag in
changing labeling after the forumla is changed. There is NO rice in the dry
cat food. When they described their catfood they said Whole pea, but in the
ingredients it said pea. Pea powder is available.

One word of caution. South Africa has been having problems with their pet
food also. They had antifreeze contamination of Woolworth brand dry food in
Feb-March. (But you know, from what I read they had to test the food twice
to find antifreeze. Now I wonder if it didn't have melamine also.) A
number of days ago Royal Canin pulled their large breed Puppy formula due to
vomiting and kidney problems. I think they have now pulled all their
products but don't remember.

There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same as gluten)
in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is corn gluten. I'm hoping
in a couple of days they'll have a report on the food. My guess is they'll
find melamine.

So all I can say is buyer beware. Gluten gluten who's got the gluten. Call
your company. Find out; where their products come from. Ask them if
they've had a formula change lately. Demand they get on the ball and quit
changing food without changing the label. Meanwhile go buy a book on how to
prepare your own pet food. At this rate it will come in handy.

way beyond disgust......
buglady
take out the dog before replying

PawsForThought
April 18th 07, 01:34 AM
On Apr 17, 7:35?pm, "buglady" > wrote:
> USA Today article:http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-...
> d_N.htm

Geez. It seems like almost every day there's another food recalled.
I was reading where they're not even sure it's melamine causing the
problem. Guess this conference won't be going so well:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/nearwest/chi-0704160424apr17,1,3212403.story?coll=chi-newslocalnearwest-hed

Lynne
April 18th 07, 01:38 AM
on Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:35:46 GMT, "buglady" >
wrote:

> So all I can say is buyer beware. Gluten gluten who's got the gluten.
> Call your company. Find out; where their products come from. Ask
> them if they've had a formula change lately. Demand they get on the
> ball and quit changing food without changing the label. Meanwhile go
> buy a book on how to prepare your own pet food. At this rate it will
> come in handy.

OMFG...

--
Lynne

Sandy McDermin
April 18th 07, 02:45 AM
"buglady" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> USA Today article:
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalle
> d_N.htm
> But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
> with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was
> in
> a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
> Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in the
> product," he says.
>
> Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
> http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
> * Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
> * Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
> * Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
> * Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)
>
> There is no rice protein concentrate listed on the bag of dry NB dog food.
> There IS ground rice though (At least there wasn't last weekend - reports
> are they may have changed it on the web.) . And there's that 6 month lag
> in
> changing labeling after the forumla is changed. There is NO rice in the
> dry
> cat food. When they described their catfood they said Whole pea, but in
> the
> ingredients it said pea. Pea powder is available.
>
> One word of caution. South Africa has been having problems with their pet
> food also. They had antifreeze contamination of Woolworth brand dry food
> in
> Feb-March. (But you know, from what I read they had to test the food
> twice
> to find antifreeze. Now I wonder if it didn't have melamine also.) A
> number of days ago Royal Canin pulled their large breed Puppy formula due
> to
> vomiting and kidney problems. I think they have now pulled all their
> products but don't remember.
>
> There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same as gluten)
> in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is corn gluten. I'm
> hoping
> in a couple of days they'll have a report on the food. My guess is
> they'll
> find melamine.
>
> So all I can say is buyer beware. Gluten gluten who's got the gluten.
> Call
> your company. Find out; where their products come from. Ask them if
> they've had a formula change lately. Demand they get on the ball and quit
> changing food without changing the label. Meanwhile go buy a book on how
> to
> prepare your own pet food. At this rate it will come in handy.
>

Geez, I have two CANS of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea cat food.
Should I not feed it to them for fear that it will also end up on a recall
list within the next week?

Sandy

Cheryl
April 18th 07, 03:18 AM
On Tue 17 Apr 2007 07:35:46p, buglady wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ink.net>:

> There is NO wheat gluten or rice protein concentrate (read same
> as gluten) in the large breed puppy formula. Instead there is
> corn gluten. I'm hoping in a couple of days they'll have a
> report on the food. My guess is they'll find melamine.

I'm starting to see reports that food will be recalled that
contains rice and corn gluton, too. I keep reading that gluton is
used for how they process gravy, but I think the gluton is where
the protein is, and how pet food companies can "up" the protein
content without adding more meat? I don't know. Just comes to
mind from reading here for so long.

Here's a scary quote from an author, Ann Martin (author of "Food
Pets Die For ... Shocking Facts About Pet Food," ) - someone who
tried to post here a while back until she got attacked:

"When ConsumerAffairs.com contacted Martin late Monday night about
Natural Balance's recall, she said: "I had heard about this
yesterday morning and can't figure out what the heck is going on.
If there is something wrong with this food, and it is one of the
top foods on the market, I will just forget telling people what
foods they should feed their pets. This is very upsetting. "



--
Cheryl

cindys
April 18th 07, 03:22 AM
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "buglady" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> USA Today article:
>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalle
>> d_N.htm
>> But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated
>> with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was
>> in
>> a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
>> Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in the
>> product," he says.
>>
>> Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
>> http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
>> * Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
>> * Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
>> * Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
>> * Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)
snip
>
> Geez, I have two CANS of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea cat food.
> Should I not feed it to them for fear that it will also end up on a recall
> list within the next week?
-------
I wouldn't if I were you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Sandy McDermin
April 18th 07, 04:03 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "buglady" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> USA Today article:
>>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalle
>>> d_N.htm
>>> But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient
>>> contaminated
>>> with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was
>>> in
>>> a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said
>>> Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in the
>>> product," he says.
>>>
>>> Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
>>> * Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
>>> * Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
>>> * Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
>>> * Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)
> snip
>>
>> Geez, I have two CANS of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea cat food.
>> Should I not feed it to them for fear that it will also end up on a
>> recall list within the next week?
> -------
> I wouldn't if I were you.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Since I can't read the miniscule print on the back of cat food cans, this is
what Petfood Direct says is the ingredient list on the back of the CANNED
Venison and Pea cat food:

Ingredients:
Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon Oil,
Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate,
Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca
Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate,Vitamin
E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium
Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium
Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A
Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
Vitamin B12.

I'm not a scientist, but is any of this rice gluten?

Sandy

buglady
April 18th 07, 04:20 AM
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Since I can't read the miniscule print on the back of cat food cans, this
is
> what Petfood Direct says is the ingredient list on the back of the CANNED
> Venison and Pea cat food:
>
> Ingredients:
> Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon
Oil,
> Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate,
> Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries, Yucca
> Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron
Sulfate,Vitamin
> E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium
> Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium
> Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A
> Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3
Supplement,
> Vitamin B12.
>
> I'm not a scientist, but is any of this rice gluten?

..........go to natural balance website - they've CHANGED all the ingredients
to reflect what's in it. Who knows WHEN they did it.
www.naturalbalanceinc.com I think the website now says rice protein
concentrate for all those they recalled. They are claiming it's only the
last and latest batch that was affected, but they're recalling all cans of
those types. At least they know how to cover their a**es when the barn
door's open.
You'll have to CALL them, give them your UPC code and ask them WHAT was in
that batch. The phones may be a bit busy, to say the least.........

For pesticides the LABEL is the LAW. For pet food the LABEL is a LIE.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

blkcatgal
April 18th 07, 04:36 AM
The Natural Balance website says that the canned venison and peas cat food
is not affected. I have about a case of the canned food. But I won't be
feeding it to my cats anytime soon. I read the small print and there is no
mention of rice protein concentrate, rice gluten, etc. I think this is
something they recently added to the dry food. Which is beyond me...why
would you add another protein source to a limited ingredient food? I'm very
disappointed with Natural Balance.

Sue

"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "cindys" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>> "Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> "buglady" > wrote in message
>>> ink.net...
>>>> USA Today article:
>>>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalle
>>>> d_N.htm
>>>> But Natural Balance doesn't use wheat gluten, the ingredient
>>>> contaminated
>>>> with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine
>>>> was in
>>>> a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods,
>>>> said
>>>> Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. "That was the only change in
>>>> the
>>>> product," he says.
>>>>
>>>> Dog treats and Dog canned formula added
>>>> http://tinyurl.com/2up6ol
>>>> * Venison and Brown Rice Treats for Dogs (New today)
>>>> * Venison and Brown Rice Canned Formula for Dogs (New today)
>>>> * Venison and Brown Rice Dry Food for Dogs (Reported Sunday)
>>>> * Venison and Green Pea Dry Food for Cats (Reported Sunday)
>> snip
>>>
>>> Geez, I have two CANS of Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea cat food.
>>> Should I not feed it to them for fear that it will also end up on a
>>> recall list within the next week?
>> -------
>> I wouldn't if I were you.
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.
>
> Since I can't read the miniscule print on the back of cat food cans, this
> is what Petfood Direct says is the ingredient list on the back of the
> CANNED Venison and Pea cat food:
>
> Ingredients:
> Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon
> Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium
> Tripolyphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried
> Cranberries, Yucca Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate,
> Iron Sulfate,Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate,
> Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium
> Pantothenate, Calcium Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6),
> Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin,
> Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12.
>
> I'm not a scientist, but is any of this rice gluten?
>
> Sandy
>

Sandy McDermin
April 18th 07, 04:42 AM
"buglady" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>
> "Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Since I can't read the miniscule print on the back of cat food cans, this
> is
>> what Petfood Direct says is the ingredient list on the back of the CANNED
>> Venison and Pea cat food:
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> Venison, Venison Broth, Venison Liver, Pea Flour, Venison Meal, Salmon
> Oil,
>> Dicalcium Phosphate, Kelp, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate,
>> Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Taurine, Parsley, Dried Cranberries,
>> Yucca
>> Schidigera, Sodium Chloride, Carrageenan, Zinc Sulfate, Iron
> Sulfate,Vitamin
>> E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin Supplement,
>> Sodium
>> Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium
>> Iodate,Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A
>> Supplement,Folic Acid, Vitamin K Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3
> Supplement,
>> Vitamin B12.
>>
>> I'm not a scientist, but is any of this rice gluten?
>
> .........go to natural balance website - they've CHANGED all the
> ingredients
> to reflect what's in it. Who knows WHEN they did it.
> www.naturalbalanceinc.com I think the website now says rice protein
> concentrate for all those they recalled. They are claiming it's only the
> last and latest batch that was affected, but they're recalling all cans of
> those types. At least they know how to cover their a**es when the barn
> door's open.
> You'll have to CALL them, give them your UPC code and ask them WHAT was in
> that batch. The phones may be a bit busy, to say the least.........
>
> For pesticides the LABEL is the LAW. For pet food the LABEL is a LIE.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying
>

I still don't see rice in it:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/NB_CatCanned.html#Venison

You know, even if I put this out in a bowl for them, they wouldn't eat it.
They hate all this natural catfood and I'm really finding it hard to replace
some of the things that are being recalled. Fortunately, they love Fancy
Feast. What about Whiskas? Is that okay? I was looking at Sheba the other
day and it says that it's only a supplement. You can't feed your cat on it.
I guess because it has none of those added nutritional ingredients that are
killing the animals.

Just kidding. I know there is a difference between gluten and vitamin
enrichment or taurine.

Sandy

cindys
April 18th 07, 05:28 AM
"Sandy McDermin" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "buglady" > wrote in message

snip
>>
>> For pesticides the LABEL is the LAW. For pet food the LABEL is a LIE.
>>
>> buglady
>> take out the dog before replying
>>
>
> I still don't see rice in it:
>
> http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/NB_CatCanned.html#Venison
>
----------
When Buglady said "the label is a lie" she meant that the label might not
accurately reflect what is in the food.

Once upon a time, about 15 years ago, this happened to me with spaghetti
sauce. I would always read the label to make sure the sauce didn't contain
any cheese. One time, I bought a jar of a new brand sauce that I hadn't
tried before (which didn't contain cheese). My husband and I really liked
the sauce, so the following week, I bought another jar of the identical
thing. When I was cooking with it, I read the label and saw that it
contained cheese! I phoned the company to see what was going on and ask why
they had started to add cheese to the product. They told me they had in fact
actually *eliminated* the cheese from the product six months earlier, but
that labels were expensive to print, so they were using up the old labels,
and I must have picked up a jar with one of the old labels! They asked me
what was the serial number on the jar. When I told them, they confirmed that
I had picked up a jar with one of the old labels, and the sauce did not
contain cheese (in contrast to what it said on the label).... Even then, it
must have been illegal to do that, but the point is that that was for a
human food product. How much more so for a pet food!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

buglady
April 18th 07, 11:39 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message
...
I phoned the company to see what was going on and ask why
> they had started to add cheese to the product. They told me they had in
fact
> actually *eliminated* the cheese from the product six months earlier, but
> that labels were expensive to print, so they were using up the old labels,

..........how many people bother to call? I guess I shouldn't be amazed that
this happened (still happens?) in people food too.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

cindys
April 18th 07, 12:51 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>
> "cindys" > wrote in message
> ...
> I phoned the company to see what was going on and ask why
>> they had started to add cheese to the product. They told me they had in
> fact
>> actually *eliminated* the cheese from the product six months earlier, but
>> that labels were expensive to print, so they were using up the old
>> labels,
>
> .........how many people bother to call? I guess I shouldn't be amazed
> that
> this happened (still happens?) in people food too.
-----
I'm not sure if it still happens with people food as there are truth in
labeling laws, but the incident I described occurred a little over 15 years
ago, and I thought there were truth in labeling laws even then.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

PawsForThought
April 18th 07, 03:36 PM
On Apr 18, 12:28 am, "cindys" > wrote:
I read the label and saw that it
> contained cheese! I phoned the company to see what was going on and ask why
> they had started to add cheese to the product. They told me they had in fact
> actually *eliminated* the cheese from the product six months earlier, but
> that labels were expensive to print, so they were using up the old labels,

What would happen if someone had a severe allergy to cheese and it
wasn't on the label?! I have a very severe allergy to fish so I
always read the labels. I was going to buy a chicken and noodle dish
but they did list on the label that it had seafood in the sauce.

Now with this petfood recall, it is imperative that they have accurate
and current labels on all their food. Waiting 6 months to change the
label is totally unacceptable!