PDA

View Full Version : VIN testing 5 foods on their own

buglady
April 18th 07, 12:34 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/156792.html
Because both wheat gluten and rice protein enhance protein content of pet
food, "It certainly is suspicious" that melamine now is associated with
both, said Bob Poppenga, a UC Davis veterinary toxicology professor.

Melamine isn't an edible protein, but it has plenty of nitrogen, which can
be used as a marker for protein in chemical analyses.

This means that if someone wanted to use less of some pricey sources of
vegetable protein, such as wheat gluten, and throw in cheaper starches
instead, adding melamine to that mix would still make it look like a
protein-rich product.
Local veterinarians who've been tracking kidney ailments nationwide also
have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any
recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible.
[..]
The Veterinary Information Network, used by about 16,000 of the estimated
35,000 U.S. veterinarians, noticed the five foods kept recurring in
vet-described disease reports, said Paul Pion, the Davis vet who co-founded
the service.

He declined to name the foods, saying that would be premature, but described
the issue as serious enough that his network decided to collect samples from
the vets who treated ailing cats and dogs.

He said hopes to get them to the UC Davis-based California Animal Health and
Food Safety Laboratory as early as Wednesday
----------------------------
If you remember the post from yesterday with the "rumors" of more affected
unrecalled pet foods from yesterday, Purina was one that was mentioned being
discussed on the VIN boards. I can't keep up but I think Purina has now
said it doesn't use rice protein concentrate. At this point, doesn't matter
what you're feeding. If your pet starts exhibiting signs of illness go to
the vet and get the kidney values run. May be just an upset stomach, but
not worth waiting to find out.

Apparently there is no label out there that tells you what is in the bag or
can. It's not as if I didn't always know this, but these consequences are
horrific. Getting mad yet? Please write or call your govt reps and tell
them you want this labeling scam to stop.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

MaryL
April 18th 07, 01:00 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/156792.html
> Because both wheat gluten and rice protein enhance protein content of pet
> food, "It certainly is suspicious" that melamine now is associated with
> both, said Bob Poppenga, a UC Davis veterinary toxicology professor.
>
> Melamine isn't an edible protein, but it has plenty of nitrogen, which can
> be used as a marker for protein in chemical analyses.
>
> This means that if someone wanted to use less of some pricey sources of
> vegetable protein, such as wheat gluten, and throw in cheaper starches
> instead, adding melamine to that mix would still make it look like a
> protein-rich product.
> Local veterinarians who've been tracking kidney ailments nationwide also
> have tentatively identified five more foods, not at this point under any
> recall, that they plan to have tested as soon as possible.
> [..]
> The Veterinary Information Network, used by about 16,000 of the estimated
> 35,000 U.S. veterinarians, noticed the five foods kept recurring in
> vet-described disease reports, said Paul Pion, the Davis vet who
> co-founded
> the service.
>
> He declined to name the foods, saying that would be premature, but
> described
> the issue as serious enough that his network decided to collect samples
> from
> the vets who treated ailing cats and dogs.
>
> He said hopes to get them to the UC Davis-based California Animal Health
> and
> Food Safety Laboratory as early as Wednesday
> ----------------------------
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Great!! <sarcasm dripping...> Another delay...they "hope" to them them
*to* the lab as early as Wednesday. Then another delay for actual testing,
and probably still another delay before results are released. In the
meantime, how many more animals will be affected, possibly with deadly
results.

I do understand the financial loss that could be incurred by premature
release of results, but I understand even *more* the illness and deaths that
have been caused by previous delays (and financial cost to pet owners, costs
that probably will not be covered by the pet food companies in most cases
because of the "proof" that they will require).

MaryL

buglady
April 18th 07, 03:44 PM
> Great!! <sarcasm dripping...> Another delay...they "hope" to them them
> *to* the lab as early as Wednesday.

.......Please! VIN is Veteinary Information Network. These are VETS who
have decided to take matters into their own hands since no one else is
moving fast enough. I do NOT blame them for not saying which brands they're
taking in for testing. They have no proof. Can you say lawsuits from the
pet food companies? Take your anger over to the PFI and the pet food
companies.........not vets who are trying to fill a void. If it weren't for
them, we'd be in the dark longer.......Sheesh.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

PawsForThought
April 18th 07, 04:18 PM
On Apr 18, 7:34 am, "buglady" > wrote:
> http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/156792.html
> Because both wheat gluten and rice protein enhance protein content of pet
> food, "It certainly is suspicious" that melamine now is associated with
> both, said Bob Poppenga, a UC Davis veterinary toxicology professor.
>
> Melamine isn't an edible protein, but it has plenty of nitrogen, which can
> be used as a marker for protein in chemical analyses.
>
> This means that if someone wanted to use less of some pricey sources of
> vegetable protein, such as wheat gluten, and throw in cheaper starches
> instead, adding melamine to that mix would still make it look like a
> protein-rich product.

Makes you wonder just how often this sort of thing is done in petfood.

> The Veterinary Information Network, used by about 16,000 of the estimated
> 35,000 U.S. veterinarians, noticed the five foods kept recurring in
> vet-described disease reports, said Paul Pion, the Davis vet who co-founded
> the service.

> He said hopes to get them to the UC Davis-based California Animal Health and
> Food Safety Laboratory as early as Wednesday

Good for the VIN for doing this. I'm sure they're a lot more
concerned for the animals than the petfood companies :(
I've never been more glad that I feed a homemade diet than now.

buglady
April 18th 07, 04:32 PM
"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Makes you wonder just how often this sort of thing is done in petfood.

.........who knows, they don't have to change the label for 6 months. Is
that why we have all those prescription diets? Bah.

> Good for the VIN for doing this. I'm sure they're a lot more
> concerned for the animals than the petfood companies :(

..........Yes, thank the vets at VIN. The kicker is that the company that
sold the rice protein concentrate knew a WEEK ago that there was melamine in
it. He's the one that should name the companies he sold it to - and won't.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

MaryL
April 18th 07, 08:59 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>> Great!! <sarcasm dripping...> Another delay...they "hope" to them them
>> *to* the lab as early as Wednesday.
>
> ......Please! VIN is Veteinary Information Network. These are VETS who
> have decided to take matters into their own hands since no one else is
> moving fast enough. I do NOT blame them for not saying which brands
> they're
> taking in for testing. They have no proof. Can you say lawsuits from the
> pet food companies? Take your anger over to the PFI and the pet food
> companies.........not vets who are trying to fill a void. If it weren't
> for
> them, we'd be in the dark longer.......Sheesh.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Most of my aanger *is* directed at the pet food companies. Sorry if I
didn't make that clear -- my anger is that there is still another delay, and
I'm sure Menu Foods is responsible for not getting this information out
earlier. At the same time, the decision not to release names has a very
familiar ring to it -- just as Menu Foods delayed releasing information
while pets were dying.

MaryL

buglady
April 18th 07, 10:20 PM

my anger is that there is still another delay, and
> I'm sure Menu Foods is responsible for not getting this information out
> earlier.
........this is not Menu Foods, this is Natural Balance and the supplier of
the rice protein powder.....which went to 4 other unnamed companies.

At the same time, the decision not to release names has a very
> familiar ring to it -- just as Menu Foods delayed releasing information
> while pets were dying.

YES! Wouldn't you think the other companies - large and small- would have
learned from that situation? Instead we have the same thing going on and on
and on. I really wonder if the FDA is hamstrung legally in this situation
because it deals with pet food. Everyone could have known a week ago if the
supplier had come clean. In the meantime animals got sick.