PDA

View Full Version : Ear/Nose Polyps

Sherry
April 18th 07, 11:39 PM
I just got back from taking Boots to the vet with what I thought was
the routine URI we have from time to time She has herpes, but has not
had a flareup in almost 3 years.

Turns out she also has polyps in both ears. The vet said they are
"usually begnign" and don't cause problems. Usually? I'm thinking
about this after I got home. Vet also said it's *possible" she has
polyps in her nose, because that's often coupled with ear polyps and
could be the reason for the nasal congestion. The only way to
determine this is with a head x-ray.

So I'm whirling all this "wait & see" stuff around. Does anyone have
any experience with ear/nose polyps?

Sherry

cybercat
April 19th 07, 12:23 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I just got back from taking Boots to the vet with what I thought was
> the routine URI we have from time to time She has herpes, but has not
> had a flareup in almost 3 years.
>
> Turns out she also has polyps in both ears. The vet said they are
> "usually begnign" and don't cause problems. Usually? I'm thinking
> about this after I got home. Vet also said it's *possible" she has
> polyps in her nose, because that's often coupled with ear polyps and
> could be the reason for the nasal congestion. The only way to
> determine this is with a head x-ray.
>
> So I'm whirling all this "wait & see" stuff around. Does anyone have
> any experience with ear/nose polyps?

Sherry, I don't have any experience and have never heard of this
in cats, but I found some stuff online.

http://maxshouse.com/nasopharyngeal_polyps.htm

Sherry
April 19th 07, 05:50 AM
On Apr 18, 6:23 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> >I just got back from taking Boots to the vet with what I thought was
> > the routine URI we have from time to time She has herpes, but has not
> > had a flareup in almost 3 years.
>
> > Turns out she also has polyps in both ears. The vet said they are
> > "usually begnign" and don't cause problems. Usually? I'm thinking
> > about this after I got home. Vet also said it's *possible" she has
> > polyps in her nose, because that's often coupled with ear polyps and
> > could be the reason for the nasal congestion. The only way to
> > determine this is with a head x-ray.
>
> > So I'm whirling all this "wait & see" stuff around. Does anyone have
> > any experience with ear/nose polyps?
>
> Sherry, I don't have any experience and have never heard of this
> in cats, but I found some stuff online.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/nasopharyngeal_polyps.htm

That's some pretty heavy stuff. I had this nagging feeling that the
vet was minimizing this deal. I hate it when vets blurt out worst-case
scenarios, but I suspected this was a more serious thing than she
indicated. Boots is a snorer. We always thought this was so cute. Now
I'm thinking she snores because she has polyps in her nose. I'm going
to have a talk with her (armed with this info, at least I will be able
to ask halfway intelligent questions). Thanks for the link.

Sherry

cybercat
April 19th 07, 06:31 PM
"Sherry" > wrote

> That's some pretty heavy stuff. I had this nagging feeling that the
> vet was minimizing this deal. I hate it when vets blurt out worst-case
> scenarios, but I suspected this was a more serious thing than she
> indicated. Boots is a snorer. We always thought this was so cute. Now
> I'm thinking she snores because she has polyps in her nose. I'm going
> to have a talk with her (armed with this info, at least I will be able
> to ask halfway intelligent questions). Thanks for the link.

I hope the vet can take care of them in some noninvasive way.
I wonder if there is something that can shrink them? I don't
think I would opt for the surgery because it is so invasive,
their little sinuses are so small--and the damned things always
grow back. It is the same with humans. My father put off
having the surgery done from age 19 when they first told him
he had to have it to age 60. He had it done, and the things
grew back within two years. One thing--they made him
lose his sense of smell. I don't know if that happens with
cats, but it is something to ask your vet about, as I
understand that may put a cat off of eating. Good
luck. Poor Boots.

Cheryl
April 20th 07, 01:30 AM
On Wed 18 Apr 2007 06:39:14p, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> So I'm whirling all this "wait & see" stuff around. Does anyone
> have any experience with ear/nose polyps?

Shadow had one occurance of ear polyps. He'd had a long history of
goopy ears, but never mites. Then the vet found polyps deep in one
ear, took them out with barely a sedative, and they never came back.

Hope Bootsie will be ok!

--
Cheryl