PDA

View Full Version : Feline Herpes transmission

Lynne
April 19th 07, 04:26 AM
It looks like Rudy, my 3 year old cat, has contracted FHV from Levi. I
suppose it was inevitable since Rudy and Levi are so close and frequently
groom each other, but after going so long without catching it I was
hopeful that he wouldn't.

He's not happy about the eye ointment. After the first assault I could
tell his eyes were feeling better within just a few hours. Now he seems
to know that I have to do this horrible thing to him in order to help
him. He doesn't like it, but he lets me. He doesn't even hold a grudge
over it. He's such an easy going cat that I hope his usual lack of
stress will prevent frequent outbreaks.

*sigh*

What does FHV mean for senior cats? Will pneumonia be a concern? I know
we are a long way away from his golden years, but now I'm sad to think
that this might negatively impact his longetivy.

I started Rudy on L-lysine several days ago and will keep both him and
Levi on it indefinitely. The good news is that Rudy is starting to eat
more wet food. Not enough, but he's coming around.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Sherry
April 19th 07, 05:44 AM
On Apr 18, 10:26 pm, Lynne > wrote:
> It looks like Rudy, my 3 year old cat, has contracted FHV from Levi. I
> suppose it was inevitable since Rudy and Levi are so close and frequently
> groom each other, but after going so long without catching it I was
> hopeful that he wouldn't.
>
> He's not happy about the eye ointment. After the first assault I could
> tell his eyes were feeling better within just a few hours. Now he seems
> to know that I have to do this horrible thing to him in order to help
> him. He doesn't like it, but he lets me. He doesn't even hold a grudge
> over it. He's such an easy going cat that I hope his usual lack of
> stress will prevent frequent outbreaks.
>
> *sigh*
>
> What does FHV mean for senior cats? Will pneumonia be a concern? I know
> we are a long way away from his golden years, but now I'm sad to think
> that this might negatively impact his longetivy.
>
> I started Rudy on L-lysine several days ago and will keep both him and
> Levi on it indefinitely. The good news is that Rudy is starting to eat
> more wet food. Not enough, but he's coming around.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> "We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
> We are brave enough to bend to cry
> And sad enough to know
> We must laugh again"
>
> ~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Boots has herpes, but the other four have never shown any symptoms.
She's about 8 now. She has been symptom-free for nearly 3 years, until
now. I seriously attribute that to the lysine. But this outbreak is a
bugger. She has all the symptoms of a full-blown URI with 104 degree
fever this afternoon, runny nose and watery eyes. She got an injection
that the vet said had a fever reducer, and it did work within a couple
of hours. Poor baby. I just feel so sorry for her, and am really
worried about her not eating enough. You know how cats won't eat if
they're nasal passage is blocked & they can't smell it. She said the
shot also had an appetite stimulator, but if she didn't eat *well* by
tomorrow they're going to give her a small dose of valium. DH is just
beside himself, that's his little princess.

Sherry

Sherry
April 19th 07, 05:46 AM
On Apr 18, 10:26 pm, Lynne > wrote:
snipped
> What does FHV mean for senior cats? Will pneumonia be a concern? I know
> we are a long way away from his golden years, but now I'm sad to think
> that this might negatively impact his longetivy.
snipped
> Lynne

I had this very same thought today. I hope someone can answer this.

Sherry

Lynne
April 19th 07, 12:24 PM
on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:44:36 GMT, Sherry > wrote:

> DH is just beside himself, that's his little princess.

Poor little thing. I hope she's feeling better soon. Please let me know
how she fares.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Spot
April 19th 07, 03:06 PM
Sherry,

You might try heating her food in the microwave a little. Waming it brings
out the aroma hopefully it will entice her to eat some.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

Celeste

"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 18, 10:26 pm, Lynne > wrote:
>> It looks like Rudy, my 3 year old cat, has contracted FHV from Levi. I
>> suppose it was inevitable since Rudy and Levi are so close and frequently
>> groom each other, but after going so long without catching it I was
>> hopeful that he wouldn't.
>>
>> He's not happy about the eye ointment. After the first assault I could
>> tell his eyes were feeling better within just a few hours. Now he seems
>> to know that I have to do this horrible thing to him in order to help
>> him. He doesn't like it, but he lets me. He doesn't even hold a grudge
>> over it. He's such an easy going cat that I hope his usual lack of
>> stress will prevent frequent outbreaks.
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> What does FHV mean for senior cats? Will pneumonia be a concern? I know
>> we are a long way away from his golden years, but now I'm sad to think
>> that this might negatively impact his longetivy.
>>
>> I started Rudy on L-lysine several days ago and will keep both him and
>> Levi on it indefinitely. The good news is that Rudy is starting to eat
>> more wet food. Not enough, but he's coming around.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>>
>> "We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
>> We are brave enough to bend to cry
>> And sad enough to know
>> We must laugh again"
>>
>> ~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech
>
> Boots has herpes, but the other four have never shown any symptoms.
> She's about 8 now. She has been symptom-free for nearly 3 years, until
> now. I seriously attribute that to the lysine. But this outbreak is a
> bugger. She has all the symptoms of a full-blown URI with 104 degree
> fever this afternoon, runny nose and watery eyes. She got an injection
> that the vet said had a fever reducer, and it did work within a couple
> of hours. Poor baby. I just feel so sorry for her, and am really
> worried about her not eating enough. You know how cats won't eat if
> they're nasal passage is blocked & they can't smell it. She said the
> shot also had an appetite stimulator, but if she didn't eat *well* by
> tomorrow they're going to give her a small dose of valium. DH is just
> beside himself, that's his little princess.
>
> Sherry

Lynne
April 19th 07, 03:33 PM
on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:46:29 GMT, Sherry > wrote:

> I hope someone can answer this.

I wish Phil was still posting. I'll bet he has some information about
this.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

cindys
April 19th 07, 03:42 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:46:29 GMT, Sherry > wrote:
>
>> I hope someone can answer this.
>
> I wish Phil was still posting. I'll bet he has some information about
> this.
--------
I believe that he said he would posting less frequently because he's busy
taking care of his cat colonies but that he would be available by e-mail.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lynne
April 19th 07, 03:45 PM
on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:42:27 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> I believe that he said he would posting less frequently because he's
> busy taking care of his cat colonies but that he would be available by
> e-mail.

Thanks, Cindy.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

cybercat
April 19th 07, 07:02 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:46:29 GMT, Sherry > wrote:
>
>> I hope someone can answer this.
>
> I wish Phil was still posting. I'll bet he has some information about
> this.

He will pop back in, this is typical of him for this time of year--prime
kitten season, I think? He's really active with trapping, neutering, and
releasing programs and such.

sheelagh
April 19th 07, 08:59 PM
On 19 Apr, 04:26, Lynne > wrote:
> It looks like Rudy, my 3 year old cat, has contracted FHV from Levi. I
> suppose it was inevitable since Rudy and Levi are so close and frequently
> groom each other, but after going so long without catching it I was
> hopeful that he wouldn't.
>
> He's not happy about the eye ointment. After the first assault I could
> tell his eyes were feeling better within just a few hours. Now he seems
> to know that I have to do this horrible thing to him in order to help
> him. He doesn't like it, but he lets me. He doesn't even hold a grudge
> over it. He's such an easy going cat that I hope his usual lack of
> stress will prevent frequent outbreaks.
>
> *sigh*
>
> What does FHV mean for senior cats? Will pneumonia be a concern? I know
> we are a long way away from his golden years, but now I'm sad to think
> that this might negatively impact his longetivy.
>
> I started Rudy on L-lysine several days ago and will keep both him and
> Levi on it indefinitely. The good news is that Rudy is starting to eat
> more wet food. Not enough, but he's coming around.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> "We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
> We are brave enough to bend to cry
> And sad enough to know
> We must laugh again"
>
> ~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Oh Dear Lynne, I so feel for you. I guess that it has always been a
possibility that was lurking around in the back of your mind, but the
reality of it is a different thing to deal with altogether...

If I were you, I would email Phil to see if he could be of some
assistance to you. He seems to have a great deal of knowledge about
all things cat & I am more than certain that he wouldn't mind
either...

Please do keep us all updated with how thing are progressing & I also
support your L-Lysinse policy as well. I feel that it has done wonders
for Lucy(fur!), who is now putting weight back on again & feeling &
looking much better too. As you can imagine, Tilly is delighted. I
think that when she heard about the problem when we heard about the
diagnosis, she thought It really was the beginning of the end. so it
is wonderful that she can see the helpful effect it seems to have had
on her. They truly are soul mates...

I am sorry that I can't be of more assistance to you, because frankly
you know far more about this issue than I do. Have you thought of
booking an appointment with your regular vet to discuss this very
issue with him? I am sure he/she wouldn't mind talking it through with
you. Also, when you do hear a little more information regarding this
latest issue, I would be more than grateful to you if you would post
about it all so that we can share the knowledge with you too?

I have one question that has never occurred to me before, because it
doesn't affect me. However I am sure that this would be of interest to
other posters if you know the answer to it..Can dogs contract it from
the cats by any chance?

We are Thinking of you at this time of trouble, & forwarding soothing
purrs of empathy for Rudy & Levis as well as you and your family....
S;o)