PDA

View Full Version : Question: Curing cat->human worm infestation

Gerard Anthony Gold
April 20th 07, 12:24 AM
Hello,

I have been feeding & petting this feral cat. It has these little (less than
an inch long) white, thin worm-looking things in its anus. I kind of guessed
they could be worms, but since I did not see any movement, I lost that rain
of thought. Recently, when I sit on the couch, the cat has been getting on
to my lap & grooming & sleeping.

Yesterday, I noticed a large sore on my lower thigh. Today, one of these
things dropped on to my sofa and started crawling on it with this
expansion-contraction motion, so I'm pretty sure it's a worm or a maggot. I
suspect one of these things has got into me using the skin-penetration
route.

What can I get off the shelf (I've got a 2-office visit limitation on my
health plan, so I'd rather avoid using the second so early in the year) to
kill this worm off before it does any critical organ damage?

Thanks,

Gerard

Matthew
April 20th 07, 01:05 AM
First what you have and what your cat has are two different things.
If your cat has that he needs a pill from a VET
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/keys_to_a_healthy_cat/cats_common_health_problems.html you have something else and probably required a doctor visit to determinethe cause. You could have something as simple as a chigger"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in ...> Hello,>> I have been feeding & petting this feral cat. It has these little (lessthan an inch long) white, thin worm-looking things in its anus. I kind ofguessed they could be worms, but since I did not see any movement, I lostthat rain of thought. Recently, when I sit on the couch, the cat has beengetting on to my lap & grooming & sleeping.>> Yesterday, I noticed a large sore on my lower thigh. Today, one of thesethings dropped on to my sofa and started crawling on it with thisexpansion-contraction motion, so I'm pretty sure it's a worm or a maggot. Isuspect one of these things has got into me using the skin-penetrationroute.>> What can I get off the shelf (I've got a 2-office visit limitation on myhealth plan, so I'd rather avoid using the second so early in the year) tokill this worm off before it does any critical organ damage?>> Thanks,>> Gerard>

Gerard Anthony Gold
April 20th 07, 01:55 AM
It's a feral cat & lives outside, so I'm really not equipped with gear or
experience to capture it & take it to the vet - besides which, I don't
really want to pay for a vet.

I think I'm just going to buy roundworm & whatever other cat medication is
available off the shelf in the pet section of a department/grocery store &
mix that with it's food every time. If my stuff does not fix at least the
visible problems, I guess I'm going to have to disconnect my 1-year
friendship with this cat.

Matthew, thanks for the suggestions.

Gerard

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> First what you have and what your cat has are two different things.
> If your cat has that he needs a pill from a VET
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm
> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/keys_to_a_healthy_cat/cats_common_health_problems.html
> you have something else and probably required a doctor visit to
> determinethe cause. You could have something as simple as a
> chigger"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in
> ...> Hello,>> I have been
> feeding & petting this feral cat. It has these little (lessthan an inch
> long) white, thin worm-looking things in its anus. I kind ofguessed they
> could be worms, but since I did not see any movement, I lostthat rain of
> thought. Recently, when I sit on the couch, the cat has beengetting on to
> my lap & grooming & sleeping.>> Yesterday, I noticed a large sore on my
> lower thigh. Today, one of thesethings dropped on to my sofa and started
> crawling on it with thisexpansion-contraction motion, so I'm pretty sure
> it's a worm or a maggot. Isuspect one of these things has got into me
> using the skin-penetrationroute.>> What can I get off the shelf (I've got
> a 2-office visit limitation on myhealth plan, so I'd rather avoid using
> the second so early in the year) tokill this worm off before it does any
> critical organ damage?>> Thanks,>> Gerard>

Matthew
April 20th 07, 02:06 AM
Please don't get a over counter med for the cat you can purchase for almost
he same amount from a vet. Many over the counter med have caused deaths in
the past.

"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in message
> It's a feral cat & lives outside, so I'm really not equipped with gear or
> experience to capture it & take it to the vet - besides which, I don't
> really want to pay for a vet.
>
> I think I'm just going to buy roundworm & whatever other cat medication is
> available off the shelf in the pet section of a department/grocery store &
> mix that with it's food every time. If my stuff does not fix at least the
> visible problems, I guess I'm going to have to disconnect my 1-year
> friendship with this cat.
>
> Matthew, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Gerard
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> First what you have and what your cat has are two different things.
>> If your cat has that he needs a pill from a VET
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm
>> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/keys_to_a_healthy_cat/cats_common_health_problems.html
>> you have something else and probably required a doctor visit to
>> determinethe cause. You could have something as simple as a
>> chigger"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in
>> ...> Hello,>> I have been
>> feeding & petting this feral cat. It has these little (lessthan an inch
>> long) white, thin worm-looking things in its anus. I kind ofguessed they
>> could be worms, but since I did not see any movement, I lostthat rain of
>> thought. Recently, when I sit on the couch, the cat has beengetting on to
>> my lap & grooming & sleeping.>> Yesterday, I noticed a large sore on my
>> lower thigh. Today, one of thesethings dropped on to my sofa and started
>> crawling on it with thisexpansion-contraction motion, so I'm pretty sure
>> it's a worm or a maggot. Isuspect one of these things has got into me
>> using the skin-penetrationroute.>> What can I get off the shelf (I've got
>> a 2-office visit limitation on myhealth plan, so I'd rather avoid using
>> the second so early in the year) tokill this worm off before it does any
>> critical organ damage?>> Thanks,>> Gerard>

Dave F
April 20th 07, 08:58 PM
You said in your first post the cat was on your lap on your couch, and now
you say you can't catch him??

Please do the right thing and take the poor cat to the vet so the worms
living in it's body are killed off. The cost will be minimal. have ti
spayed/neutered too or there will absolutely be more feral cats soon.

Dave

"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in message
> It's a feral cat & lives outside, so I'm really not equipped with gear or
> experience to capture it & take it to the vet - besides which, I don't
> really want to pay for a vet.
>
> I think I'm just going to buy roundworm & whatever other cat medication is
> available off the shelf in the pet section of a department/grocery store &
> mix that with it's food every time. If my stuff does not fix at least the
> visible problems, I guess I'm going to have to disconnect my 1-year
> friendship with this cat.
>
> Matthew, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Gerard
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> First what you have and what your cat has are two different things.
>> If your cat has that he needs a pill from a VET
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm
>> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/keys_to_a_healthy_cat/cats_common_health_problems.html
>> you have something else and probably required a doctor visit to
>> determinethe cause. You could have something as simple as a
>> chigger"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in
>> ...> Hello,>> I have been
>> feeding & petting this feral cat. It has these little (lessthan an inch
>> long) white, thin worm-looking things in its anus. I kind ofguessed they
>> could be worms, but since I did not see any movement, I lostthat rain of
>> thought. Recently, when I sit on the couch, the cat has beengetting on to
>> my lap & grooming & sleeping.>> Yesterday, I noticed a large sore on my
>> lower thigh. Today, one of thesethings dropped on to my sofa and started
>> crawling on it with thisexpansion-contraction motion, so I'm pretty sure
>> it's a worm or a maggot. Isuspect one of these things has got into me
>> using the skin-penetrationroute.>> What can I get off the shelf (I've got
>> a 2-office visit limitation on myhealth plan, so I'd rather avoid using
>> the second so early in the year) tokill this worm off before it does any
>> critical organ damage?>> Thanks,>> Gerard>

Gerard Anthony Gold
April 20th 07, 09:32 PM
Being on my lap is it's choice. I do not handle the cat or carry it - it
jumps or walks on to my lap. Also, it is not used to being handled, and it
has not been de-clawed. So it could be a less pleasant experience than
taking a domesticated cat to the vet.

Anyway, if I do decide to restrain it & take it to the vet - since I do not
have a cat carrier, presumably I could try to entice it into a bag of some
sort, tie the opening once I do so,and use this to transport it to & from
the vet?

Alternatively, I could just decide to call the vet & ask him/her to sell me
various worm meds without looking at the cat.

What I am probably going to do, anyway, unless I find evidence of cat
fatalities - is buy off the shelf worm meds & put them in the cat's food.

Thanks,

Gerard

"Dave F" > wrote in message
> You said in your first post the cat was on your lap on your couch, and now
> you say you can't catch him??
>
> Please do the right thing and take the poor cat to the vet so the worms
> living in it's body are killed off. The cost will be minimal. have ti
> spayed/neutered too or there will absolutely be more feral cats soon.
>
> Dave
>

> "Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in message
>> It's a feral cat & lives outside, so I'm really not equipped with gear or
>> experience to capture it & take it to the vet - besides which, I don't
>> really want to pay for a vet.
>>
>> I think I'm just going to buy roundworm & whatever other cat medication
>> is available off the shelf in the pet section of a department/grocery
>> store & mix that with it's food every time. If my stuff does not fix at
>> least the visible problems, I guess I'm going to have to disconnect my
>> 1-year friendship with this cat.
>>
>> Matthew, thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>> Gerard
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>>> First what you have and what your cat has are two different things.
>>> If your cat has that he needs a pill from a VET
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm
>>> http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/cat_care/keys_to_a_healthy_cat/cats_common_health_problems.html
>>> you have something else and probably required a doctor visit to
>>> determinethe cause. You could have something as simple as a
>>> chigger"Gerard Anthony Gold" > wrote in
>>> ...> Hello,>> I have been
>>> feeding & petting this feral cat. It has these little (lessthan an inch
>>> long) white, thin worm-looking things in its anus. I kind ofguessed they
>>> could be worms, but since I did not see any movement, I lostthat rain of
>>> thought. Recently, when I sit on the couch, the cat has beengetting on
>>> to my lap & grooming & sleeping.>> Yesterday, I noticed a large sore on
>>> my lower thigh. Today, one of thesethings dropped on to my sofa and
>>> started crawling on it with thisexpansion-contraction motion, so I'm
>>> pretty sure it's a worm or a maggot. Isuspect one of these things has
>>> got into me using the skin-penetrationroute.>> What can I get off the
>>> shelf (I've got a 2-office visit limitation on myhealth plan, so I'd
>>> rather avoid using the second so early in the year) tokill this worm
>>> off before it does any critical organ damage?>> Thanks,>> Gerard>

Jeffrey Kaplan
April 20th 07, 09:59 PM
It is alleged that Gerard Anthony Gold claimed:

> Anyway, if I do decide to restrain it & take it to the vet - since I do not
> have a cat carrier, presumably I could try to entice it into a bag of some
> sort, tie the opening once I do so,and use this to transport it to & from
> the vet?

You can get a cardboard cat carrier from Petco for about $5.

And get your leg looked at by a doctor.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #67.
No matter how many shorts we have in the system, my guards will be
instructed to treat every surveillance camera malfunction as a full-
scale emergency.

Veloise
April 21st 07, 05:43 PM
Jeffrey wrote:

> You can get a cardboard cat carrier from Petco for about $5.

Or use a cardboard box with some holes cut in it. Cats have an innate
fear of being in closed-up bags, but boxes and similar containers
(which they can see out of) are less scary.

A beer crate or vegetable container might be perfect. And if he's
jumping onto your lap, he's not as feral as you might think!

HTH

--Karen D.