PDA

View Full Version : Hills tested ingredients

Lynne
April 20th 07, 03:08 PM
From an email I received (not sure how I got on Hill's mail list to vets,
though). I just noticed this email as it went to my unmonitored email
account:

Dear Valued Partner,

April 18, 2007Ė Update: Hillís products not affected by rice protein
concentrate recall.

On April 17 the FDA announced a further pet food recall associated with
melamine contaminant, reportedly from a supplier of rice protein
concentrate. No Hillís products are affected by this recall.

While Hillís uses rice protein concentrate in 4 of its products, we do
not use the supplier involved with the recall.

Hillís has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
present in the rice protein concentrate that it uses.

Q. Do any Hillís Pet Nutrition, Inc. products contain rice protein
concentrate?
A. Yes. Four Hillís products contain rice protein concentrate; however,
none contain rice protein concentrate from the supplier associated with
this recent recall.

The four Hillís products that contain rice protein concentrate AND ARE
NOT affected by recent recall announcements:

Prescription Diet ģ z/dģ Feline Dry
Prescription Diet ģ k/dģ Canine canned
Science Dietģ Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe Puppy Large Breed
Prescription Dietģ h/dģ Canine Dry
Hillís has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
present in the rice protein concentrate used in our products.

Q. How do you know Hillís rice protein concentrate is safe?
A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another
supplierís rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have
confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hillís
suppliers do not contain melamine.

Q. Where does Hillís Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
A. Hillís uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice
protein concentrate recall.

Q. What is rice protein concentrate, and why is it used in pet food?
A. Rice protein concentrate is the product remaining after starch has
been washed away from rice. It is a commonly used protein ingredient in
various pet food products.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Patty
April 21st 07, 12:56 AM
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:08:35 -0500, Lynne wrote:

> From an email I received (not sure how I got on Hill's mail list to vets,
> though). I just noticed this email as it went to my unmonitored email
> account:
>
> Dear Valued Partner,
>
> April 18, 2007Ė Update: Hillís products not affected by rice protein
> concentrate recall.
>
> On April 17 the FDA announced a further pet food recall associated with
> melamine contaminant, reportedly from a supplier of rice protein
> concentrate. No Hillís products are affected by this recall.
>
> While Hillís uses rice protein concentrate in 4 of its products, we do
> not use the supplier involved with the recall.
>
> Hillís has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
> present in the rice protein concentrate that it uses.
>
> Q. Do any Hillís Pet Nutrition, Inc. products contain rice protein
> concentrate?
> A. Yes. Four Hillís products contain rice protein concentrate; however,
> none contain rice protein concentrate from the supplier associated with
> this recent recall.
>
> The four Hillís products that contain rice protein concentrate AND ARE
> NOT affected by recent recall announcements:
>
> Prescription Diet ģ z/dģ Feline Dry
> Prescription Diet ģ k/dģ Canine canned
> Science Dietģ Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe Puppy Large Breed
> Prescription Dietģ h/dģ Canine Dry
> Hillís has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is
> present in the rice protein concentrate used in our products.
>

> Q. How do you know Hillís rice protein concentrate is safe?
> A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another
> supplierís rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have
> confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hillís
> suppliers do not contain melamine.
>

> Q. Where does Hillís Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
> A. Hillís uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice
> protein concentrate recall.
>

> Q. What is rice protein concentrate, and why is it used in pet food?
> A. Rice protein concentrate is the product remaining after starch has
> been washed away from rice. It is a commonly used protein ingredient in
> various pet food products.

But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been discussed here
also. <sigh>

Patty

April 21st 07, 02:36 PM
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:56:43 UTC, Patty > wrote:

> But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been discussed here
> also. <sigh>

It might just be that the corn gluten problem is localized to South
Africa and Namibia. Look here:

s/Jerry

--
My cat and I are very much alike: we're both gray, we're both fat,
and we both dig in his litter box.

Patty
April 23rd 07, 03:12 AM
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:36:10 GMT, wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:56:43 UTC, Patty > wrote:
>
>> But, their senior food contains corn gluten which has been discussed here
>> also. <sigh>
>
> It might just be that the corn gluten problem is localized to South
> Africa and Namibia. Look here:

> s/Jerry

I sure hope so. I mix a bit of the Hills senior canned food in with my
kitty's NF (kidney diet) food just so he'll eat it a bit better.

Thanks!

Patty

Patty
April 24th 07, 01:44 AM
On 23 Apr 2007 21:25:23 GMT, Cheryl wrote:

>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:36:10 GMT, wrote:

>>> It might just be that the corn gluten problem is localized to
>>> South Africa and Namibia. Look here:
>>>
>>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267560,00.html
>>>
>>> s/Jerry
>
> An email from Hill's in reply to my inquiry about corn gluten in
> their foods:
>
> ---- begin C&P ----
> Please do not respond to this e-mail. This is a general response
> for information only regarding the ingredient, corn gluten. If
> your email contained questions on another topic, we will be
> responding to your email separately within a couple of weeks.
>
> First, thank you for contacting Hillís Pet Nutrition Consumer
> Affairs Office.
>
> On April 19, 2007, a press release was issued announcing a
> competitorís pet food which was being recalled from the market in
> South Africa due to a corn gluten ingredient believed to be
> contaminated with a foreign matter, melamine. This competitorís
> corn gluten ingredient was sourced from China.
>
> We would like to assure you that this news story does not affect
> any of Hillísģ pet food products. Hillís corn gluten meal is
> sourced locally from corn suppliers located in the USA.
>
> Corn gluten meal is the protein portion of corn remaining after
> removal of bran and starch. It is an excellent source of high
> quality vegetable protein used in both human and pet food.
>
> For latest information on topics of interest, please continue to
> view our website at HillsPet.com.
> ---- End C&P ----
>
> I will take their word for it. I wish they'd announce that they are
> testing their foods, though.

Thanks, Cheryl. Much appreciated.

Patty