PDA

View Full Version : FDA: Pet Food Spiked On Purpose?

Matthew
April 20th 07, 05:03 PM
http://www.local6.com/family/12600843/detail.html

Calif. Hog Farm Under Quarantine

WASHINGTON -- Imported ingredients used in recalled pet food may have been
intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to boost their apparent
protein content, federal officials said Thursday.

That's one theory being pursued by the Food and Drug Administration as it
investigates how the chemical, melamine, contaminated at least two
ingredients used to make more than 100 brands of dog and cat foods.

In California, state agriculture officials placed a hog farm under
quarantine after melamine was found in pig urine there. Additional testing
was under way to determine whether the chemical was present in the meat
produced by American Hog Farm in Ceres since April 3, the state Department
of Food and Agriculture said.

So far, melamine's been found in both wheat gluten and rice protein
concentrate imported from China. Media reports from South Africa suggest a
third pet food ingredient, corn gluten, used in that country also was
contaminated with melamine. That tainted ingredient has not been found in
the United States, the FDA said.

FDA investigators were awaiting visas that would allow them to visit the
Chinese plants where the vegetable protein ingredients were produced.

"Melamine was found in all three of those -- it would certainly lend
credibility to the theory that it may be intentional. That will be one of
the theories we will pursue when we get into the plants in China," Stephen
Sundlof, the FDA's chief veterinarian, told reporters.

Chinese authorities have told the FDA that the wheat gluten was an
industrial product not meant for pet food, Sundlof said. Still, melamine can
skew test results to make a product appear more protein-rich than it really
is, he added. That raises the possibility the contamination was deliberate.

"What we expect to do with our inspections in China will answer some of
those questions," said Michael Rogers, director of the division of field
investigations within the FDA's office of regulatory affairs.

Wilbur-Ellis Co., the U.S. importer of the tainted rice protein, said
Thursday it was recalling all the ingredient it had distributed to five U.S.
pet food manufacturers. The San Francisco company in turn urged its
customers to recall any products that may be on store shelves.

So far, just two of those companies have done so: Natural Balance Pet Foods
and Blue Buffalo Co.

Natural Balance, of Pacoima, Calif., announced a limited recall Monday of
its Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown
Rice dog treats and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food.

Blue Buffalo, of Wilton, Conn., followed Thursday by recalling 5,044 bags of
its Spa Select Kitten dry food. The company intercepted most of the kitten
food before it reached distribution centers, company co-founder Billy Bishop
said.

FDA officials would not release the names of the other two manufacturers
that Wilbur-Ellis supplied, citing its ongoing investigation.

The FDA could not provide updated numbers of pet deaths or injuries due to
the contaminated pet food. The agency has received more than 15,000 calls
since the first recall was announced more than a month ago.

The FDA and Agriculture Department also were investigating whether some pet
food made by one of the five companies supplied by Wilbur-Ellis was diverted
for use as hog feed after it was found unsuitable for pet consumption.

"We understand it did make it into some hog feed and we are following up on
that as well," Sundlof said.

Later Thursday, California officials said they believe the melamine at the
quarantined hog farm came from rice protein concentrate imported from China
by Diamond Pet Food's Lathrop facility, which produces products under the
Natural Balance brand and sold salvage pet food to the farm for pig feed.

"Although all animals appear healthy, we are taking this action out of an
abundance of caution," State Veterinarian Richard Breitmeyer said in a
statement. "It is unknown if the chemical will be detected in meat."

Officials were investigating American Hog Farm's sales records to determine
who may be affected by the quarantine, said Steve Lyle, a spokesman for the
California Department of Food and Agriculture. The 1,500-animal farm
operates as a "custom slaughterhouse," which means it generally does not
supply meat to commercial outlets.

"Mostly it is not so-called mainstream pork. This is an operation that sells
to folks who come in and want a whole pig," said Lyle said.

Officials urged those who purchased pigs from American Hog Farm since April
3 to not consume the product until further notice.

Dr. Mark Horton, state public health officer, said so far "evidence suggests
a minimal health risk to persons who may have consumed pork" from the farm.

A man who answered the phone for American Hog Farm late Thursday declined to
comment and referred calls to state officials. Phone calls to Diamond Pet
Food's Lathrop facility and Meta, Mo., headquarters were not immediately
returned.

Barry
April 21st 07, 02:50 PM
On Apr 20, 12:03 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> [...]
> California Department of Food and Agriculture. The 1,500-animal farm
> operates as a "custom slaughterhouse," which means it generally does not
> supply meat to commercial outlets.
>
> "Mostly it is not so-called mainstream pork. This is an operation that sells
> to folks who come in and want a whole pig," said Lyle said.
>
> Officials urged those who purchased pigs from American Hog Farm since April
> 3 to not consume the product until further notice.
>
> Dr. Mark Horton, state public health officer, said so far "evidence suggests
> a minimal health risk to persons who may have consumed pork" from the farm.
>
> A man who answered the phone for American Hog Farm late Thursday declined to
> comment and referred calls to state officials. Phone calls to Diamond Pet
> Food's Lathrop facility and Meta, Mo., headquarters were not immediately

What is this saying? I am hoping you could translate this for me.

Tell it like Clint Eastwood might tell it or something

April 21st 07, 05:44 PM
Barry wrote:
> [...]
>> supply meat to commercial outlets.
>>
>> "Mostly it is not so-called mainstream pork. This is an operation that sells
>> to folks who come in and want a whole pig," said Lyle said.
>>
>> Officials urged those who purchased pigs from American Hog Farm since April
>> 3 to not consume the product until further notice.
>>
>> Dr. Mark Horton, state public health officer, said so far "evidence suggests
>> a minimal health risk to persons who may have consumed pork" from the farm.
>>
>> A man who answered the phone for American Hog Farm late Thursday declined to
>> comment and referred calls to state officials. Phone calls to Diamond Pet
>> Food's Lathrop facility and Meta, Mo., headquarters were not immediately
>> returned.
>
> What is this saying? I am hoping you could translate this for me.
>
> Tell it like Clint Eastwood might tell it or something

In simple terms: The wheat gluten and rice protein were substandard in
terms of protein content. Those tricky Chinese spiked it with melamine
so that the analytical tests used to determine protein content would
read higher than the actual protein content.

Some of this food *has* been fed to pigs and therefore the human food
supply has been contaminated too.