PDA

View Full Version : My solution to contaminated foods

Ken Knecht
April 20th 07, 06:33 PM
I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
old problem now?

Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
vegetarian again.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

mlbriggs
April 20th 07, 07:01 PM
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:33:50 +0000, Ken Knecht wrote:

> I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
> someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
> tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
> wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
> contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
> could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
> this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
> old problem now?
>
> Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
> not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
> pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
> What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
> the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
> more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
> vegetarian again.

Or quit eating altogether. Remember the spinach scare -- the peanut
butter scare -- the cranberry scare? There are probably others. We
could live on air but that is polluted too. I THINK i'LL HAVE A BURGER
FOR LUNCH.. Best wishes. MLB

FirstHit
April 20th 07, 07:05 PM
On Apr 20, 10:33 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
> someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
> tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
> wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
> contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
> could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
> this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
> old problem now?
>
> Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
> not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
> pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
> What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
> the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
> more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
> vegetarian again.

I don't really like that we're buying food products from countries
like China. Their values are different from ours and I think we're
made more vulnerable to problems when we trade with them.

FirstHit

Matthew
April 20th 07, 07:55 PM
You know that feeding a cat canned fish can be just as dangerous due to the
mercury levels and the lack of taurine that human food possesses for
extended periods. Go to ASPCA.org and check out their FAQ about home
cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
> someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
> tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
> wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
> contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
> could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
> this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
> old problem now?
>
> Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
> not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
> pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
> What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
> the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
> more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
> vegetarian again.
>

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

Spot
April 20th 07, 08:59 PM
I was going to tell him the same thing. Too much of any fish is not good
for the cat. It causes liver disease it cats and their hair will also fall
out.

I now make a habit of only giving my cats fish once a week after having a
cat who had problems with fish. Not knowing better at the time I was just
feeding him cat food that was fish based and he got sick from it.

Celeste

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> You know that feeding a cat canned fish can be just as dangerous due to
> the mercury levels and the lack of taurine that human food possesses for
> extended periods. Go to ASPCA.org and check out their FAQ about home
> cooking
>
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>>I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
>> someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
>> tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
>> wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
>> contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
>> could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
>> this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
>> old problem now?
>>
>> Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
>> not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
>> pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
>> What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
>> the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
>> more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
>> vegetarian again.
>>

>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> Every silver lining has a cloud.

chatnoir
April 20th 07, 10:59 PM
On Apr 20, 1:59 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> I was going to tell him the same thing. Too much of any fish is not good
> for the cat. It causes liver disease it cats and their hair will also fall
> out.
>
> I now make a habit of only giving my cats fish once a week after having a
> cat who had problems with fish. Not knowing better at the time I was just
> feeding him cat food that was fish based and he got sick from it.
>
> Celeste

Heard canned Tuna for humans had no value for cats!

Bought some Country Pet frozen Pet food from New Zealand! Will see
what they think of that!

> "Matthew" > wrote in message

> > You know that feeding a cat canned fish can be just as dangerous due to
> > the mercury levels and the lack of taurine that human food possesses for
> > extended periods. Go to ASPCA.org and check out their FAQ about home
> > cooking
>
> > "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> >>I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
> >> someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
> >> tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
> >> wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
> >> contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
> >> could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
> >> this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
> >> old problem now?
>
> >> Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
> >> not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
> >> pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
> >> What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
> >> the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
> >> more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
> >> vegetarian again.
>
> >> --
> >> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> >> Every silver lining has a cloud.

imloafin
April 21st 07, 04:00 AM
On Apr 20, 1:33 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> I ordered a book on making your own pet food that was recommended by
> someone here. Should be here Monday. In the meantime I'm feeding canned
> tuna & salmon. Also some many-months-old dry food that does not contain
> wheat gluten or rice protein that she's been eating so if it's
> contaminated it's too late. But one has corn gluten and now read that it
> could be contaminated and in US pet food. Also, I wonder how far back
> this contamination started? Are we just hearing about a (many) month's
> old problem now?
>
> Of course, as far as making cat food, it only works if the human food is
> not contaminated. Already I hear on the news and in messages here that
> pork may be affected because hogs were fed the recalled pet food. <sigh>
> What else has been fed the same wheat gluten and rice protein that is in
> the pet feed? I quit beef many years ago because of mad cow and now no
> more pork either. Chickens next? Might as well return to being a
> vegetarian again.
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

Posted, quote (excerpt):

"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
could be contaminated and in US pet food."

Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
pets may be in danger!

Meghan Noecker
April 21st 07, 08:38 AM
On 20 Apr 2007 20:00:41 -0700, imloafin >
wrote:

>"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
>could be contaminated and in US pet food."
>
>Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
>pets may be in danger!

Pet food in South Africa has contaminated corn gluten. IT hasn't been
reported here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up. I am
taking my cat to be tested on Tuesday just in case. I can'tstand this
waiting and waiting. Why can't they just test ALL cat foods, all
brands and varieties and be done with it?

Roby
April 21st 07, 01:28 PM
Meghan Noecker wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2007 20:00:41 -0700, imloafin >
> wrote:
>

>>"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
>>could be contaminated and in US pet food."
>>
>>Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
>>pets may be in danger!
>

> Pet food in South Africa has contaminated corn gluten. IT hasn't been
> reported here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up. I am
> taking my cat to be tested on Tuesday just in case. I can'tstand this
> waiting and waiting. Why can't they just test ALL cat foods, all
> brands and varieties and be done with it?

Published April 20, 2007 on AVMA website:

The American Hog Farm, a 1500-animal facility in Ceres, has been quarantined
by the California Department of Food and Agriculture, and lab testing has
revealed the presence of the chemical melamine in pig urine. Additional
testing of tissues, serum and urine from animals at the farm is underway at
the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory at UC Davis to
determine if melamine is present in meat.

It is believed the melamine originated with rice protein concentrate shipped
from China. Through an importer, the concentrate was distributed to Diamond
Pet Foods, a pet food manufacturer in Lathrop, which sold salvage pet food
to the farm for pig feed.

For more information, see the California Department of Food and Agriculture
press release at
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/exec/pa/pressreleases/PressRelease.asp?PRnum=CDFA07-038.

.... so now we know where the recalled pet food goes!

blkcatgal
April 21st 07, 06:28 PM
I talked with a Royal Canin representative today and asked whether they had
tested ALL their vegetable proteins to make sure there were no other
problems (since I am feeding my cats one of their foods that contains pea
protein). I certainly do not want to be going through this mess again two
weeks from now with something else. She assured me repeatedly that they had
tested everything and did not find any other problems. I sure hope so..

"Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
> On 20 Apr 2007 20:00:41 -0700, imloafin >
> wrote:
>

>>"But one has corn gluten and now read that it
>>could be contaminated and in US pet food."
>>
>>Please - tell us where we can find/read this important news - other
>>pets may be in danger!
>

> Pet food in South Africa has contaminated corn gluten. IT hasn't been
> reported here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up. I am
> taking my cat to be tested on Tuesday just in case. I can'tstand this
> waiting and waiting. Why can't they just test ALL cat foods, all
> brands and varieties and be done with it?

Meghan Noecker
April 22nd 07, 07:46 AM
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:28:35 -0400, "blkcatgal"
> wrote:

>I talked with a Royal Canin representative today and asked whether they had
>tested ALL their vegetable proteins to make sure there were no other
>problems (since I am feeding my cats one of their foods that contains pea
>protein). I certainly do not want to be going through this mess again two
>weeks from now with something else. She assured me repeatedly that they had
>tested everything and did not find any other problems. I sure hope so..

I would like to see that in writing. I got a reply from Royal Canin,
and they assured me my food was safe, but they won't say that the food
was tested. I emailed back that they should be a leader and test ALL
their food and then post it.

I would also like to see a better statement on their website. They
currently have:

In addition, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers
for any of our vegetable proteins.

Why did they specify vegetable proteins? Does this mean they still buy
other ingredients from China?

I would like to see it say:

Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of
our ingredients.

buglady
April 22nd 07, 03:42 PM
"Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
> Why did they specify vegetable proteins? Does this mean they still buy
> other ingredients from China?

......heh! I expect someone is *paying* attention! And if they're going to
test all veg proteins or powders or whatever, which tests are they doing?
On what products? Have they gone backwards and tested lots or product
samples for the same products they're testing now?

Yes, yes, yes, front and center - opening page of their main website - from
the President. Royal Canin has been more vocally responsive it seems to me
than some other companies (Royal Canin SA will no longer buy corn glutren
from China), so maybe the *someone* reading will take these requests
upstairs.

> I would like to see it say:
>
> Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of
> our ingredients.

.......Still not right. The RCP company wasn't a Chinese supplier, it was a
US company. A simple statement like this would do it for me: We will not
use Chinese products in our foods. I'm tired of trying to divine the actual
meanings of statements. Maybe if I rocked and mumbled over them it would
help........

buglady
take out the dog before replying

blkcatgal
April 22nd 07, 04:13 PM
I have sent Royal Canin another email asking them specifically some of these
questions. I'll be curious if I get a direct answer.

For what it's worth, when I spoke with the Royal Canin rep I specifically
asked whether RC had gone back and tested the other foods that they sell and
she told me yes and they were safe. I hope so because I am still feeding my
cats one of their IVD products. I hope there's not a ticking bomb waiting
to explode.....

S.

"buglady" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
>> Why did they specify vegetable proteins? Does this mean they still buy
>> other ingredients from China?
>
> .....heh! I expect someone is *paying* attention! And if they're going
> test all veg proteins or powders or whatever, which tests are they doing?
> On what products? Have they gone backwards and tested lots or product
> samples for the same products they're testing now?
>
> Yes, yes, yes, front and center - opening page of their main website -
> from
> the President. Royal Canin has been more vocally responsive it seems to
> me
> than some other companies (Royal Canin SA will no longer buy corn glutren
> from China), so maybe the *someone* reading will take these requests
> upstairs.
>>
>> I would like to see it say:
>>
>> Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of
>> our ingredients.
>
> ......Still not right. The RCP company wasn't a Chinese supplier, it was
> US company. A simple statement like this would do it for me: We will not
> use Chinese products in our foods. I'm tired of trying to divine the
> actual
> meanings of statements. Maybe if I rocked and mumbled over them it would
> help........
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

blkcatgal
April 22nd 07, 05:11 PM
Wow....just got a telephone call from Royal Canin. The rep told me that RC
will no longer use ANY ingredients imported from China (not just the
vegetable proteins). She explained to me that how this latest recall
happened involved the Sensible Choice line of foods which they recently
acquired. RC was not aware that the previous company that had Sensible
Choice did source ingredients (like the rice protein) from China. She
assured me that the pea protein contained in the IVD food I currently am
feeding my cats was obtained from the US. She also told me that RC USA gets
its corn gluten from the US also. She said that their products are
constantly be tested and all other products, not currently recalled, are
safe. All I told her is that I did not want another recall 2 weeks from
now....and she assured me that RC did not want that either and was doing
everything possible to make sure that it would not happen.

S.
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have sent Royal Canin another email asking them specifically some of
>these questions. I'll be curious if I get a direct answer.
>
> For what it's worth, when I spoke with the Royal Canin rep I specifically
> asked whether RC had gone back and tested the other foods that they sell
> and she told me yes and they were safe. I hope so because I am still
> feeding my cats one of their IVD products. I hope there's not a ticking
> bomb waiting to explode.....
>
> S.
>
> "buglady" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>>
>> "Meghan Noecker" > wrote in message
>>> Why did they specify vegetable proteins? Does this mean they still buy
>>> other ingredients from China?
>>
>> .....heh! I expect someone is *paying* attention! And if they're going
>> test all veg proteins or powders or whatever, which tests are they doing?
>> On what products? Have they gone backwards and tested lots or product
>> samples for the same products they're testing now?
>>
>> Yes, yes, yes, front and center - opening page of their main website -
>> from
>> the President. Royal Canin has been more vocally responsive it seems to
>> me
>> than some other companies (Royal Canin SA will no longer buy corn glutren
>> from China), so maybe the *someone* reading will take these requests
>> upstairs.
>>>
>>> I would like to see it say:
>>>
>>> Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of
>>> our ingredients.
>>
>> ......Still not right. The RCP company wasn't a Chinese supplier, it was
>> US company. A simple statement like this would do it for me: We will
>> not
>> use Chinese products in our foods. I'm tired of trying to divine the
>> actual
>> meanings of statements. Maybe if I rocked and mumbled over them it would
>> help........
>>
>> buglady
>> take out the dog before replying

buglady
April 22nd 07, 05:44 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wow....just got a telephone call from Royal Canin. The rep told me that
RC
> will no longer use ANY ingredients imported from China (not just the
> vegetable proteins).

She said that their products are
> constantly be tested and all other products, not currently recalled, are
> safe.

........Wow is right! Now email them and tell them to put it on the front
page of their website if they haven't already done so. It's not fair that
only the people reading here will get that info. Everyone needs to know it.
I hope the ball is now rolling...................

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Meghan Noecker
April 23rd 07, 07:42 AM
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:42:16 GMT, "buglady" >
wrote:

>> I would like to see it say:
>>
>> Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of
>> our ingredients.
>
>......Still not right. The RCP company wasn't a Chinese supplier, it was a
>US company. A simple statement like this would do it for me: We will not
>use Chinese products in our foods. I'm tired of trying to divine the actual
>meanings of statements. Maybe if I rocked and mumbled over them it would
>help........

I see they have updated their website again, and it is a step in the
right direction. It does say that they now test for melamine. It does
not say if they test all incoming product, regardless of the souce.

I guess to keep me satisfied, I would like to see your statement with
an addition:

We will not use Chinese products in our foods, and we test all
incoming ingredients to make sure they are safe before we use them.

I will still get Jay Jay tested on Tuesday. Their statement supports
my belief that the food is safe. But I don't think this is a great
time to blindly trust ANY pet food manufactuer.

Meghan Noecker
April 23rd 07, 08:01 AM
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:44:28 GMT, "buglady" >
wrote:

>"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Wow....just got a telephone call from Royal Canin. The rep told me that
>RC
>> will no longer use ANY ingredients imported from China (not just the
>> vegetable proteins).
>
>She said that their products are
>> constantly be tested and all other products, not currently recalled, are
>> safe.
>
>.......Wow is right! Now email them and tell them to put it on the front
>page of their website if they haven't already done so. It's not fair that
>only the people reading here will get that info. Everyone needs to know it.
>I hope the ball is now rolling...................

I just did :)

Their webesite has improved, but I picked out some vague statements
and asked them to be more detailed and specific and say it straight
out. No ingredients at all from China. All foods tested.