PDA

View Full Version : Feline Bladder Stones

April 22nd 07, 05:26 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new here and want to thank you in advance for any
advice you might have. Our 10 year-old cat has just finished another
round of antibiotics due to a bladder infection. At this point the
infection has cleared up but she is still urinating frequently and
only small amounts at a time. An ultra sound prior to going on
antibiotics showed a "possible" bladder stone. Our vet wasn't sure so
she didn't want to jump in with surgery right away as this would be
the 3rd time this cat has needed surgery for a bladder stone.
Obviously her discomfort is no longer due to the infection, but
probably still lingering due to a stone. A second ultra sound
yesterday seemed to confirm the vet's first suspicians of a stone (two
weeks ago), so surgery may be scheduled for next week.

This cat has been on Hills GD (dry and wet) for the past 4 years
(recommended by vet). I've read here that all wet food may be the key
to helping prevent this from happening again. True? Also-other than
frequently urinating, the cat appears to be feeling fine. Might it be
better to try and dissolve this stone with an all wet diet before
subjecting her to yet another surgery (the 3rd in 7 years for
stones).

Thanks again,
EB

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
April 22nd 07, 03:42 PM
http://www.fabcats.org/flutd.html

wrote:
>Hello everyone. I'm new here and want to thank you in advance for any
>advice you might have. Our 10 year-old cat has just finished another
>round of antibiotics due to a bladder infection. At this point the
>infection has cleared up but she is still urinating frequently and
>only small amounts at a time. An ultra sound prior to going on
>antibiotics showed a "possible" bladder stone. Our vet wasn't sure so
>she didn't want to jump in with surgery right away as this would be
>the 3rd time this cat has needed surgery for a bladder stone.
>Obviously her discomfort is no longer due to the infection, but
>probably still lingering due to a stone. A second ultra sound
>yesterday seemed to confirm the vet's first suspicians of a stone (two
>weeks ago), so surgery may be scheduled for next week.
>
>This cat has been on Hills GD (dry and wet) for the past 4 years
>(recommended by vet). I've read here that all wet food may be the key
>to helping prevent this from happening again. True? Also-other than
>frequently urinating, the cat appears to be feeling fine. Might it be
>better to try and dissolve this stone with an all wet diet before
>subjecting her to yet another surgery (the 3rd in 7 years for
>stones).
>
>Thanks again,
>EB

blkcatgal
April 22nd 07, 03:46 PM
I think an all wet diet is better than a dry one for a cat that gets
frequent URIs and stones, but I'm not sure if an all wet diet would dissolve
an already existing stone. That is a question for your vet.

For what it's worth, my male cat pees frequently (about 3-4 time a day) and
small amounts each time. He does not seem to be experiencing any
discomfort. I mentioned this to my vet and she did not seem concerned about
it....thought it just was normal for this cat.....each cat is different.

S.

oups.com...