PDA

View Full Version : 6-Week-Old Kitten Questions...

Luttrell
April 22nd 07, 06:57 AM
Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
appreciate it.

First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
weaned kittens?

Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?

Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)

Here's a link to some pictures...

http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

Matthew
April 22nd 07, 07:09 AM
"Luttrell" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
> who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
> appreciate it.
>
> First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> weaned kittens?

Phil's site has some info for you
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

> Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?

Thye are adorable. It depends on your house I had to keep Ka'Shay in her
cat carrier due she would romp so much and get where she did not need to be
and I was not around all the time to watch her.

> Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
> new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)

You should have not said that the trolls will eat you up. Ask any question
you want no matter how trivial they seem. there are regulars out here who
will gladly help you in any way

> Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

make sure you keep taking picture they go from furballs to fur nuts to
little #$%#$%$ to quick

Wendy
April 22nd 07, 11:35 AM
"Luttrell" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
> who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
> appreciate it.
>
> First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> weaned kittens?
>
> Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>
> Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
> new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>
> Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

How sweet!

I wouldn't give them free run of the house just yet. They are still quite
young and frankly a little too young to have been separated from their mom
and litter mates. The biggest potential problem is their losing their way to
the litterbox. If you are in a multi-level dwelling it's best to have a box
on each level and show them where it is. For the first week or so your
better off confining them to a smaller area where they will be able to find
all the important places reliably.

You also want to 'baby-proof' your home for the time being. These guys are
still babies and don't have the sense God gave a goose. They can potentially
chew on just about everything so make sure there is nothing available they
can get hurt on. Be particularly careful to keep any string, rubberbands and
that type of thing up and put away. They can become tangled in the digestive
tract and cause obstructions. Check your electrical cords for signs of
chewing and treat with bitter apple or other deterrent sprays if you see
teeth marks. Put anything precious and breakable away until they are older.
Kittens are curious and will want to explore their environment. Be very
careful with medicines and house plants. Many are deadly to cats.

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com
April 22nd 07, 03:26 PM
http://www.cats.org.uk/catcare/leaflets/630_your_new_cat_or_kitten.pdf
http://www.fabcats.org/kittencare.html
http://wizz-catz.co.uk/kitteninfo.html

FAB confirms dry food is ok, Wizz stresses the importance of measuring out
the food. All stress the importance of sticking to what the kitten was fed
originally and introducing changes slowly.

Enjoy your cats.

Luttrell wrote:
>Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
>who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
>appreciate it.
>
>First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
>can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
>eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
>weaned kittens?
>
>Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
>night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>
>Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
>new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>
>Here's a link to some pictures...
>
>http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

Sherry
April 22nd 07, 04:02 PM
On Apr 22, 12:57 am, Luttrell > wrote:
> Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
> who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
> appreciate it.
>
> First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> weaned kittens?
>
> Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>
> Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
> new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>
> Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

Oooo, cute! Looks like you've got a couple of live wires.
I'd feed them wet food, a good kitten formula canned, along with the
dry. (no milk, kittens don't need it and it gives them diarrhea)
I'd also contain them to one room at night, so they don't get into
anything or don't get accidentally stepped on in the night. They're so
tiny and you can't imagine the places they can get into. I've heard
some real horror stories.
Congratulations. Kittens are so much fun. Any questions, do't hesitate
to ask.

Sherry

sheelagh
April 22nd 07, 05:57 PM
On 22 Apr, 06:57, Luttrell > wrote:
> Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
> who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
> appreciate it.
>
> First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> weaned kittens?
>
> Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>
> Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
> new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>
> Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

Draw A chair up & be welcomed as a pair of new cat slaves...

What cutie Pies you have the ;o)

We have some kittens presently, but they are fostered out to a queen
with a small litter because their mummy became very sick quite
suddenly soon after birth...
I will try and post some photos of them in a little while....

> First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> weaned kittens?

Our kittens have dry food down all, the time & 4 wet meals a day. Of
course we cut this down over time & by the time they get to the same
age as yours are, they get 2wet meals at the very least every day....

There is controversy about the wet v dry food argument, but on balance
I would say that they need more wet than dry at least until they are a
bit older. There are many reasons for this one of which is that it is
a more natural diet for them, it also has the right quantities of
certain types of compound necessary for a healthy cay (taurine and
other minerals.) And, contains water which is helps ensure that they
don't dehydrate.)
Once they get a little older, then they can start telling you which
one they prefer & you also get the chance to decide on balance which
one is best for them. One bit of advice that I would give you would
be, not to change their diet suddenly, otherwise you might find
yourself with 2 kitty's with upset tummy's. no fun for them or you!!

Depending on where you live, I would also advise you to put down small
amounts of wet food at a time too. In hot climates, the food left down
on the floor is susceptible to flies landing on it & laying their
larvae, which also posses the problem of worms and other nasty tummy
upsetting. What the kitten hasn't eaten inn the first 20 Min's should
be described as they are unlikely to come back anytime soon and eat
the rest.; if they do, then you run the risk I ave just described. You
can always put more down if they ask for it, but more than they need
is always a waste. Ensure that they get kitty chunks, because it
contains the extra calories needed to help them grow at this stage as
well.

> Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?

Personally, I would keep them confinded to an area where you know that
they willl be safe overnight & also where they have good access to
their water bowl, food & potty of course. That way you can sleep
weeasy at night, & they can't get into any dangerous mischief & you
don't find a kitty poop parcel on your best rug,simply because they
forgot where the conveiences are..( they are still only tiny baby's
after all.)....

Look forward to hearing all about their escapades & more photos as
they grow too..
Good Luck with them BTW

S;o)

sheelagh
April 22nd 07, 05:59 PM
On 22 Apr, 11:35, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "Luttrell" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
> > who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
> > appreciate it.
>
> > First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> > can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> > eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> > weaned kittens?
>
> > Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> > night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>
> > Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
> > new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>
> > Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> >http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys
>
> How sweet!
>
> I wouldn't give them free run of the house just yet. They are still quite
> young and frankly a little too young to have been separated from their mom
> and litter mates. The biggest potential problem is their losing their way to
> the litterbox. If you are in a multi-level dwelling it's best to have a box
> on each level and show them where it is. For the first week or so your
> better off confining them to a smaller area where they will be able to find
> all the important places reliably.
>
> You also want to 'baby-proof' your home for the time being. These guys are
> still babies and don't have the sense God gave a goose. They can potentially
> chew on just about everything so make sure there is nothing available they
> can get hurt on. Be particularly careful to keep any string, rubberbands and
> that type of thing up and put away. They can become tangled in the digestive
> tract and cause obstructions. Check your electrical cords for signs of
> chewing and treat with bitter apple or other deterrent sprays if you see
> teeth marks. Put anything precious and breakable away until they are older.
> Kittens are curious and will want to explore their environment. Be very
> careful with medicines and house plants. Many are deadly to cats.
>
> W- Hide quoted text -

Hi Wendy, how are mum & kittens doing?

S;o)

Wendy
April 22nd 07, 08:34 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 22 Apr, 11:35, "Wendy" > wrote:
>> "Luttrell" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> > Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
>> > who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
>> > appreciate it.
>>
>> > First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
>> > can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
>> > eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
>> > weaned kittens?
>>
>> > Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
>> > night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>>
>> > Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
>> > new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>>
>> > Here's a link to some pictures...
>>
>> >http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys
>>
>> How sweet!
>>
>> I wouldn't give them free run of the house just yet. They are still quite
>> young and frankly a little too young to have been separated from their
>> mom
>> and litter mates. The biggest potential problem is their losing their way
>> the litterbox. If you are in a multi-level dwelling it's best to have a
>> box
>> on each level and show them where it is. For the first week or so your
>> better off confining them to a smaller area where they will be able to
>> find
>> all the important places reliably.
>>
>> You also want to 'baby-proof' your home for the time being. These guys
>> are
>> still babies and don't have the sense God gave a goose. They can
>> potentially
>> chew on just about everything so make sure there is nothing available
>> they
>> can get hurt on. Be particularly careful to keep any string, rubberbands
>> and
>> that type of thing up and put away. They can become tangled in the
>> digestive
>> tract and cause obstructions. Check your electrical cords for signs of
>> chewing and treat with bitter apple or other deterrent sprays if you see
>> teeth marks. Put anything precious and breakable away until they are
>> older.
>> Kittens are curious and will want to explore their environment. Be very
>> careful with medicines and house plants. Many are deadly to cats.
>>
>> W- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Wendy, how are mum & kittens doing?
>
> S;o)

Fine as far as I know. I don't have any of the litters at the moment. I
asked others to take them for a while when my husband passed away suddenly
on the 11th.

Lynne
April 22nd 07, 08:40 PM
on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:34:36 GMT, "Wendy" > wrote:

> Fine as far as I know. I don't have any of the litters at the moment.
> I asked others to take them for a while when my husband passed away
> suddenly on the 11th.

Oh, Wendy, how devastating. You have my deepest sympathy.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

cybercat
April 22nd 07, 09:16 PM
"Wendy" > wrote

> Fine as far as I know. I don't have any of the litters at the moment. I
> asked others to take them for a while when my husband passed away suddenly
> on the 11th.

Wendy, I'm so sorry for your loss, you must still be in shock. Unimaginable.

Lynne
April 22nd 07, 09:41 PM
on Sun, 22 Apr 2007 05:57:16 GMT, Luttrell > wrote:

> Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

They are adorable! I love the last photo a ton. That rivals my best
kitten shot (so far?) of my boy, Levi:

http://tinyurl.com/2t28y2

I've gotten tons of great advice here, so don't hesitate to ask. Beware of
the trolls and idiots (believe it or not, they are only very rarely one and
the same).

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

sheelagh
April 22nd 07, 10:51 PM
On 22 Apr, 20:34, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On 22 Apr, 11:35, "Wendy" > wrote:
> >> "Luttrell" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...

> >> How sweet!
>
> >> I wouldn't give them free run of the house just yet. They are still quite
> >> young and frankly a little too young to have been separated from their
> >> mom
> >> and litter mates. The biggest potential problem is their losing their way
> >> the litterbox. If you are in a multi-level dwelling it's best to have a
> >> box
> >> on each level and show them where it is. For the first week or so your
> >> better off confining them to a smaller area where they will be able to
> >> find
> >> all the important places reliably.
>
> >> You also want to 'baby-proof' your home for the time being. These guys
> >> are
> >> still babies and don't have the sense God gave a goose. They can
> >> potentially
> >> chew on just about everything so make sure there is nothing available
> >> they
> >> can get hurt on. Be particularly careful to keep any string, rubberbands
> >> and
> >> that type of thing up and put away. They can become tangled in the
> >> digestive
> >> tract and cause obstructions. Check your electrical cords for signs of
> >> chewing and treat with bitter apple or other deterrent sprays if you see
> >> teeth marks. Put anything precious and breakable away until they are
> >> older.
> >> Kittens are curious and will want to explore their environment. Be very
> >> careful with medicines and house plants. Many are deadly to cats.
>
> >> W- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi Wendy, how are mum & kittens doing?
>
> > S;o)
>
> Fine as far as I know. I don't have any of the litters at the moment. I
> asked others to take them for a while when my husband passed away suddenly
> on the 11th.
>
> W- Hide quoted text -

Oh my goodness Wendy...!!

I had no idea this had happened to you. I offer you our deepest
sympathy & heartfelt condolences. I am so shocked & so must you be
too. I don't suppose that there is a great deal that I can do to help
you in the practical sense, but please be aware that If there is
*Anything* that I might be able to help out with, I am only too
pleased to oblige if I can.

Know that you are in my prayer's as is your family & your dear husband
as well.
I am so sorry to have intruded at a time like this.....

Hugs,
Sheelagh x

April 23rd 07, 12:59 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> Just got 2 6-week-old kittens and we have a few questions for anyone
> who is willing to take the time to answer them. We would really
> appreciate it.
>
> First off, we're feeding them only kitten formula dry food and maybe 1
> can of wet food a week. We're letting the dry food sit out so they can
> eat as much as they want (to an extent). Is this normal for properly
> weaned kittens?
>
> Second, we weren't sure if they should be kept in a confined area at
> night while we're sleeping. Does this really matter?
>
> Thank you so much to all of those that take the time to reply, we're
> new to this group so hopefully someone makes a good impression :)
>
> Here's a link to some pictures...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys

I absolutely love this pic:
http://picasaweb.google.com/luttrell321/HeatherSNewToys/photo#
5055750211781440418

Hallmarks of Feline Defense: Digital and Dental.