PDA

View Full Version : Tommy - Words for my soul-mate

EJ
April 22nd 07, 04:48 PM
TOMMY
Words for my soul-mate.

http://rrp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/images/tommy.jpg

May you be at peace and enjoying the after-life, reunited with your big
brother and beloved friend, Alex. For many years has he waited for you to
once again be with him.

Tommy was my life.

My reason for waking in the morning. My reason for racing home from work in
the evening. Forever dreaded, was the day I would no longer feel the warmth
of his soul, his undying affection.

Tommy was no simple 'pet', or simple domesticated animal for casual
amusement, or modern day necessity to 'make' a home. He was as part of my
family as flesh and blood, and when immediate family die, a part of you dies
with them.

Tommy's love was unwavering. Tommy's love was unconditional. Tommy's love
was unbound. Free from the doubts, uncertainty or complications of a human
relationship, Tommy's affection came true and unquestionable.

I am under no illusion, or fabricating a more appealing memory to convince
myself of something which never was. I do not pretend that my experience
with Tommy was better than that of the reality. I am proud to write straight
from the heart, with full sincerity, because what I had was perfection.

Daily, I looked into Tommy's eyes as he gazed at me. As he purred, bursting
with contentment, and absolute happiness. His very stare filled my being
with reciprocal love.

He touched my soul and claimed a part of it forever. With every day that
passed with Tommy our bond grew stronger, our connection more perfect, this
I never doubted. There was no living being I felt more loved by, more happy
to be with, more alive to be around. In the final years of his life, I truly
believe he made more and more effort to demonstrate his affection, as if he
knew with each day that passed, the time of our inevitable separation crept
ever closer.

It felt like we were meant to be a part of each other's life on this planet,
and we both mutually understood the importance of making the most of the
time we had. Like two soul-mates, within his company, the worries of the
world and the burdens of everyday living were irrelevant and forgotten.

It is long remarked of the accomplishment that is to earn a cat's trust and
affection. With Tommy, it ran deeper. As we grew together, I couldn't bear
to be away from him, every moment apart I would miss his companionship, his
love, reinforced with every moment that I spent with him. He was like a drug
I couldn't live without.

When I would return from work he would already be expectantly running
towards the end of the drive. Either he knew the sound of my car or a sixth
sense was in play.

When on my computer he would either settle atop the tower or nestle onto my
lap. Even though he was a stocky, well built cat and was little room to
comfortably nap. He was content to just sit, leaning into me, constantly
purring as he repeatedly tilted his head upwards, assuring me of his
devotion with those adoring eyes.

When in the bathroom, I could guarantee he would be waiting behind the
closed door, regularly he would rest at the top of the stairs, keeping watch
of all entering the house, and when it was time for bed he would express
excitement at the prospect of snuggling up for the night. Even if his
estranged, non-biological sibling had beaten him onto the bed, he would
tentatively creep into the room and grab a spot at the bottom.

Wherever his spirit has travelled to, whichever level of existence there may
or may not be after this fragile, cruel mortal life, Tommy carries a part of
me with him, which remains his forever.

Gone are the days I will awake in the morning and feel him there. To cuddle
and hold him, happy that whatever life throws at me, Tommy will be there to
make it all bearable.

My world has been torn apart since his passing. At 13 years of age, yet
still full of life and affection, I was convinced he would live and enjoy a
full life with me, for many more years to come.

As I lie beside his broken, lifeless body, here in the very garden he would
play and relax, the very reality of his tragic death is still unfolding.

With each moment that passes now, he is dragging my soul into a dark, cold
void of hatred for life, for the metaphysical existence we are all
involuntarily born into. Where loved ones must die, where innocent beings
have their lives stolen from them, where pain is all too common.

Tommy came to us in 1994 from a litter, all needing homes. Tommy was the
last, and in pity of such an adorable kitten, my brother brought him home to
us. Here he quickly settled in and established himself as my beloved friend.

On Thursday 19th of April, 2007, around 10:00am he was taken from me, at the
mercy of road traffic.

It seems all so typically cruel of life, that I recently declined a job and
great career opportunity, partially because it would reduce my time
expenditure with Tommy. Now this reason no longer exists, yet it is too late
to change my decision.

Many would disagree and mock the level of emotion I felt for Tommy, frown
upon me as weird, that my priorities are misplaced, and that I should commit
the devotion put into my furry friends into people instead.

I can not help feeling this way, I have no control over it. It is who I am,
what I am. I have been this way since the start and will be until the end.

People are selfish, deceptive, materialistic, unnecessarily cruel, evil,
manipulative and never fail to disappoint. If a cat decides to let you
become part of its life, there will be no mystery, or misunderstanding. They
will simply love you for who and what you are, and be a comfort to you for
all of their days.

"Time spent with cats is never wasted", Sigmund Freud

Time spent with Tommy was never time wasted. And even when I had no reason
to believe Tommy would be leaving me, I still constantly thanked fate for
bringing us together, while bathing in the joy of holding him close to my
face and deeply inhaling, to taste and smell the warmth of his being.

FINAL WORDS
I commit these words to paper to remind myself in the years to come, just
how strongly I felt for my best, most beloved friend. That he truly was my
everything, that he truly did break my heart, that life lived during his was
an honour, and joy and to be forever cherished.

I loved him to the point that I could love no more.

mlbriggs
April 22nd 07, 06:07 PM
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 15:48:43 +0000, EJ wrote:

> [...]
> will simply love you for who and what you are, and be a comfort to you for
> all of their days.
>
> "Time spent with cats is never wasted", Sigmund Freud
>
> Time spent with Tommy was never time wasted. And even when I had no reason
> to believe Tommy would be leaving me, I still constantly thanked fate for
> bringing us together, while bathing in the joy of holding him close to my
> face and deeply inhaling, to taste and smell the warmth of his being.
>
> FINAL WORDS
> I commit these words to paper to remind myself in the years to come, just
> how strongly I felt for my best, most beloved friend. That he truly was my
> everything, that he truly did break my heart, that life lived during his was
> an honour, and joy and to be forever cherished.
>
> I loved him to the point that I could love no more.

A beautiful tribute!
" ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences. MLB

sheelagh
April 22nd 07, 06:10 PM
On 22 Apr, 16:48, "EJ" > wrote:
> [...]
> will simply love you for who and what you are, and be a comfort to you for
> all of their days.
>
> "Time spent with cats is never wasted", Sigmund Freud
>
> Time spent with Tommy was never time wasted. And even when I had no reason
> to believe Tommy would be leaving me, I still constantly thanked fate for
> bringing us together, while bathing in the joy of holding him close to my
> face and deeply inhaling, to taste and smell the warmth of his being.
>
> FINAL WORDS
> I commit these words to paper to remind myself in the years to come, just
> how strongly I felt for my best, most beloved friend. That he truly was my
> everything, that he truly did break my heart, that life lived during his was
> an honour, and joy and to be forever cherished.
>
> I loved him to the point that I could love no more.

What a wonderful tribute.

I am so sorry that he was taken from you so unexpectedly & share your
grief for a beloved pet who meant your reason for life. At this stage
in grief, words don't mean very much. but I assure you that he will be
there waiting to meet you @ the other side of the Rainbow Bridge when
your time comes to join him....

Accept our sincere condolences....
Sheelagh

cybercat
April 22nd 07, 06:34 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote
> " ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
> Sincere condolences. MLB

I always know you are going to say that, and I always
like it when you do. Every time.

MaryL
April 22nd 07, 07:03 PM
"EJ" > wrote in message
. uk...
> TOMMY
> Words for my soul-mate.
>
> http://rrp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/images/tommy.jpg
>
> May you be at peace and enjoying the after-life, reunited with your big
> brother and beloved friend, Alex. For many years has he waited for you to
> once again be with him.

> Tommy was my life.

What a beautiful, loving tribute to Tommy. When you feel able, I hope you
will adopt another cat. There is never a way to replace those we loved, but
you can love another -- and that will also be a special tribute to your love
for Tommy and your knowledge that our cats are part of our family.

MaryL

mlbriggs
April 22nd 07, 10:46 PM
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:34:02 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "mlbriggs" > wrote
>> " ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
>> Sincere condolences. MLB
>>

> I always know you are going to say that, and I always
> like it when you do. Every time.

It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB

MaryL
April 22nd 07, 10:56 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:34:02 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>

>> "mlbriggs" > wrote
>>> " ...Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
>>> Sincere condolences. MLB
>>>

>> I always know you are going to say that, and I always
>> like it when you do. Every time.
>

> It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
> You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB

I remember those words (or very similar) from many years ago, and they are
haunting. However, I have not been able to find the poem. I have pasted
those words into google on several occasions and even tried to search by the
name of the person I "thought" might be the author. No luck! So, can you
supply more information? -- a title or author?

Thanks,
MaryL

mlbriggs
April 22nd 07, 11:15 PM
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:56:27 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> "mlbriggs" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:34:02 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>>

>>> "mlbriggs" > wrote
>>>>

>>> I always know you are going to say that, and I always
>>> like it when you do. Every time.
>>

>> It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
>> You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB
>
> I remember those words (or very similar) from many years ago, and they are
> haunting. However, I have not been able to find the poem. I have pasted
> those words into google on several occasions and even tried to search by the
> name of the person I "thought" might be the author. No luck! So, can you
> supply more information? -- a title or author?
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

I just now typed it on Yahoo and it came up. The author is Diane
Robertson. The poem was published in Bereavement Magazine March/April
1992. Here is the URL:

http://www.thecompasionatefriendsmpls.org/angel_page_m.htm

I hope it works. MLB

MaryL
April 22nd 07, 11:43 PM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:56:27 -0500, MaryL wrote:

>>> It says everything IMHO. Have you ever read the whole poem?
>>> You can find it on the web just by typing in that line. MLB
>>
>> I remember those words (or very similar) from many years ago, and they
>> are
>> haunting. However, I have not been able to find the poem. I have pasted
>> those words into google on several occasions and even tried to search by
>> the
>> name of the person I "thought" might be the author. No luck! So, can
>> you
>> supply more information? -- a title or author?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL
>

> I just now typed it on Yahoo and it came up. The author is Diane
> Robertson. The poem was published in Bereavement Magazine March/April
> 1992. Here is the URL:
>
> http://www.thecompasionatefriendsmpls.org/angel_page_m.htm
>
> I hope it works. MLB

Thanks. I haven't been able to open that page but will try again later.
The interesting thing is that I now have another link with a different
author:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/EmmyRose/archive.html?tstamp=200611. And I
seem to remember those words from a much older source (that I haven't
located). I wonder if this is one of those poems with various attributions?
Whoever it is, the words are beautiful and haunting.

MaryL

mariib via CatKB.com
April 23rd 07, 01:17 AM
Hi,
That link is no good, here's what seems to be the link you were trying to
give but this version is an exerpt & not quite the same, still very beautiful
though.
M.

http://www.bereavementmag.com/riseupslowly.asp

Rise Up Slowly, Angel (excerpt)
Rise Up Slowly, Angel
by Diane Robertson
Foxboro, Massachusetts

Rise up slowly, Angel.
I cannot let you go.
Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
In sorrow now bent low.

Ease the searing anger,
Born in harsh, unyielding truth
That Death could steal my loved one
From the glowing blush of youth.

Rise up slowly, Angel.
Do not leave me here, alone,
Where the warmth of mortal essence
Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.

mlbriggs wrote:
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> Thanks,
>> MaryL
>
>I just now typed it on Yahoo and it came up. The author is Diane
>Robertson. The poem was published in Bereavement Magazine March/April
>1992. Here is the URL:
>
>http://www.thecompasionatefriendsmpls.org/angel_page_m.htm
>
>I hope it works. MLB

mariib via CatKB.com
April 23rd 07, 01:23 AM
and I just found the entire poem, still not quite the original quote being
used by MLB & the link is here:
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/nicaragua/1105/robertson.html

RISE UP SLOWLY, ANGEL
BY DIANE ROBERTSON

Rise up, slowly, Angel.
I cannot let you go.
Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
In sorrow now bent low.

Ease the searing anger,
Born in harsh, unyielding truth
That Death could steal my loved one
From the glowing blush of youth.

Rise up slowly, Angel.
Do not leave me here, alone,
Where the warmth of mortal essence
Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.

Speak to me in breezes
Whispered through the drying leaves,
And caress my brow with raindrops
Filtered by the sheltering trees.

Rise up slowly, Angel,
For I cannot hear the song
Which calls you through the shadows
Into the light beyond.

Wrap me in a downy cape
Of sunshine, warm with love,
And kiss a tear-stained mother's face
With moonlight from above.

Then, wait for me at sunset,
Beside the lily pond,
And guide me safely homeward
To your world, which lies beyond.

Just spread your arms to take me
In reunion's sweet embrace,
And we shall soar, together,
To a different time and place.

mariib wrote:
>Hi,
>That link is no good, here's what seems to be the link you were trying to
>give but this version is an exerpt & not quite the same, still very beautiful
>though.
>M.
>
>http://www.bereavementmag.com/riseupslowly.asp
>
>Rise Up Slowly, Angel (excerpt)
>Rise Up Slowly, Angel
>by Diane Robertson
>Foxboro, Massachusetts
>
>Rise up slowly, Angel.
>I cannot let you go.
>Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
>In sorrow now bent low.
>
>Ease the searing anger,
>Born in harsh, unyielding truth
>That Death could steal my loved one
>From the glowing blush of youth.
>
>Rise up slowly, Angel.
>Do not leave me here, alone,
>Where the warmth of mortal essence
>Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.

>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>>I hope it works. MLB

mlbriggs
April 23rd 07, 01:41 AM
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:23:07 +0000, mariib via CatKB.com wrote:

> and I just found the entire poem, still not quite the original quote being
> used by MLB & the link is here:
> http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/nicaragua/1105/robertson.html
>
> RISE UP SLOWLY, ANGEL
> BY DIANE ROBERTSON
>
> Rise up, slowly, Angel.
> I cannot let you go.
> Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
> In sorrow now bent low.
>
> Ease the searing anger,
> Born in harsh, unyielding truth
> That Death could steal my loved one
> From the glowing blush of youth.
>
> Rise up slowly, Angel.
> Do not leave me here, alone,
> Where the warmth of mortal essence
> Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.
>
> Speak to me in breezes
> Whispered through the drying leaves,
> And caress my brow with raindrops
> Filtered by the sheltering trees.
>
> Rise up slowly, Angel,
> For I cannot hear the song
> Which calls you through the shadows
> Into the light beyond.
>
> Wrap me in a downy cape
> Of sunshine, warm with love,
> And kiss a tear-stained mother's face
> With moonlight from above.
>
> Then, wait for me at sunset,
> Beside the lily pond,
> And guide me safely homeward
> To your world, which lies beyond.
>
> Just spread your arms to take me
> In reunion's sweet embrace,
> And we shall soar, together,
> To a different time and place.
>
> mariib wrote:
>>Hi,
>>That link is no good, here's what seems to be the link you were trying to
>>give but this version is an exerpt & not quite the same, still very beautiful
>>though.
>>M.
>>
>>http://www.bereavementmag.com/riseupslowly.asp
>>
>>Rise Up Slowly, Angel (excerpt)
>>Rise Up Slowly, Angel
>>by Diane Robertson
>>Foxboro, Massachusetts
>>
>>Rise up slowly, Angel.
>>I cannot let you go.
>>Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
>>In sorrow now bent low.
>>
>>Ease the searing anger,
>>Born in harsh, unyielding truth
>>That Death could steal my loved one
>>From the glowing blush of youth.
>>
>>Rise up slowly, Angel.
>>Do not leave me here, alone,
>>Where the warmth of mortal essence
>>Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.

>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>>
>>>I hope it works. MLB

Thank you. My quote was from memory and could have been wrong.
The URL was probably to old. Thanks again. MLB

mlbriggs
April 23rd 07, 05:17 AM
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:41:37 +0000, mlbriggs wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:23:07 +0000, mariib via CatKB.com wrote:
>
>> and I just found the entire poem, still not quite the original quote being
>> used by MLB & the link is here:
>> http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/nicaragua/1105/robertson.html
>>
>> RISE UP SLOWLY, ANGEL
>> BY DIANE ROBERTSON
>>
>> Rise up, slowly, Angel.
>> I cannot let you go.
>> Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
>> In sorrow now bent low.
>>
>> Ease the searing anger,
>> Born in harsh, unyielding truth
>> That Death could steal my loved one
>> From the glowing blush of youth.
>>
>> Rise up slowly, Angel.
>> Do not leave me here, alone,
>> Where the warmth of mortal essence
>> Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.
>>
>> Speak to me in breezes
>> Whispered through the drying leaves,
>> And caress my brow with raindrops
>> Filtered by the sheltering trees.
>>
>> Rise up slowly, Angel,
>> For I cannot hear the song
>> Which calls you through the shadows
>> Into the light beyond.
>>
>> Wrap me in a downy cape
>> Of sunshine, warm with love,
>> And kiss a tear-stained mother's face
>> With moonlight from above.
>>
>> Then, wait for me at sunset,
>> Beside the lily pond,
>> And guide me safely homeward
>> To your world, which lies beyond.
>>
>> Just spread your arms to take me
>> In reunion's sweet embrace,
>> And we shall soar, together,
>> To a different time and place.
>>
>> mariib wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>That link is no good, here's what seems to be the link you were trying to
>>>give but this version is an exerpt & not quite the same, still very beautiful
>>>though.
>>>M.
>>>
>>>http://www.bereavementmag.com/riseupslowly.asp
>>>
>>>Rise Up Slowly, Angel (excerpt)
>>>Rise Up Slowly, Angel
>>>by Diane Robertson
>>>Foxboro, Massachusetts
>>>
>>>Rise up slowly, Angel.
>>>I cannot let you go.
>>>Just drift softly 'midst the faces,
>>>In sorrow now bent low.
>>>
>>>Ease the searing anger,
>>>Born in harsh, unyielding truth
>>>That Death could steal my loved one
>>>From the glowing blush of youth.
>>>
>>>Rise up slowly, Angel.
>>>Do not leave me here, alone,
>>>Where the warmth of mortal essence
>>>Lies replaced by cold, hard stone.

>>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

> Thank you. My quote was from memory and could have been wrong.
> The URL was probably to old. Thanks again. MLB

correction: too old

EJ
April 23rd 07, 02:22 PM
"EJ" > wrote in message
. uk...
> TOMMY
> Words for my soul-mate.
>
> http://rrp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/images/tommy.jpg
>
> May you be at peace and enjoying the after-life, reunited with your big
> brother and beloved friend, Alex. For many years has he waited for you to
> once again be with him.

> Tommy was my life.

Hello all, and thank you for the kind words you have taken the time to post.

The days are hard right now, and all I want to do is go to sleep and never
wake up. I am finding it so hard to live without my little Tommy.

Whenever I used to feel down, or depressed about anything, I would always
put it all into perspective by just thinking about Tommy waiting for me at
home, how the fact that I have him overcomes any hardship. Now, I habitually
and sub-consciously try to knock myself out of my depressed state by
thinking of him. But then I am overwhelmed by sorrow and pain when I realise
I have no 'escape' any more, nothing to turn to, because he is gone. The one
who could release me of my hurt, is the one who has caused it. I don't know
where to turn to, or what to do.

mariib via CatKB.com
April 23rd 07, 05:54 PM
EJ wrote:
>> TOMMY
>> Words for my soul-mate.
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>
>> Tommy was my life.
>
>Hello all, and thank you for the kind words you have taken the time to post.
>
>The days are hard right now, and all I want to do is go to sleep and never
>wake up. I am finding it so hard to live without my little Tommy.
>
>Whenever I used to feel down, or depressed about anything, I would always
>put it all into perspective by just thinking about Tommy waiting for me at
>home, how the fact that I have him overcomes any hardship. Now, I habitually
>and sub-consciously try to knock myself out of my depressed state by
>thinking of him. But then I am overwhelmed by sorrow and pain when I realise
>I have no 'escape' any more, nothing to turn to, because he is gone. The one
>who could release me of my hurt, is the one who has caused it. I don't know
>where to turn to, or what to do.

Your tribute to your Tommy was so beautiful & we all feel your pain. Many of
us have gone through similar painful experiences - whether the loss was due
to accidental, wrongful or deliberate death, or to illness and/or old age.
Whatever the cause, the feelings are the same.

Time is magic in healing pain, it will get better regardless of what you do,
although a prolonged mourning period is not healthy for anyone. For myself
from my own past experiences (& here I'm talking both about 4-legged & 2-
legged family members), taking a proactive stance helped me move forward
fairly quickly. It may seem too soon to you to think about a new pet, but
doing so sooner rather than later will help you immensely as well as
whichever cat (young or older) you choose to give a loving home to. Taking on
another cat to care for & love will never diminsh the love you have for Tommy
because all of us are capable of loving in different ways more than once.
Your Tommy will always be in your memories (my Tommy still is & I had him
from when he was a dumped 6 wk old kitten until Sept 1985 when he was 15-1/2 -
he was a very affectionate easy-going green-eyed part Main Coone) but instead
of drowning in sorrow & depression, you can look outside yourself to care for
another cat who can also give you their complete affection for whatever time
they will have with you & by doing so, you will still be showing your love
for Tommy.

I hope you'll also consider making use of whatever resources are available
where you live for you to continue expressing your pain. My sympathy again
on your loss.
M.

MaryL
April 23rd 07, 11:24 PM
"EJ" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "EJ" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>> TOMMY
>> Words for my soul-mate.
>>
>> http://rrp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/images/tommy.jpg
>>
>> May you be at peace and enjoying the after-life, reunited with your big
>> brother and beloved friend, Alex. For many years has he waited for you to
>> once again be with him.

>> Tommy was my life.
>
> Hello all, and thank you for the kind words you have taken the time to
> post.
>
> The days are hard right now, and all I want to do is go to sleep and never
> wake up. I am finding it so hard to live without my little Tommy.
>
> Whenever I used to feel down, or depressed about anything, I would always
> put it all into perspective by just thinking about Tommy waiting for me at
> home, how the fact that I have him overcomes any hardship. Now, I
> habitually and sub-consciously try to knock myself out of my depressed
> state by thinking of him. But then I am overwhelmed by sorrow and pain
> when I realise I have no 'escape' any more, nothing to turn to, because he
> is gone. The one who could release me of my hurt, is the one who has
> caused it. I don't know where to turn to, or what to do.

You wrote a beautiful tribute to Tommy, and I can see that you are feeling
deeply depressed over your loss. When my first cat had to be euthanized
many years ago, I had a tremendous sense of loss. He was almost 20 years
old, and I thought of him constantly in the days after his death. I had
decided not to get another cat because it was so painful to lose him and to
go through the months leading to that decision. I waited about three
months -- much too long, as I later realized -- before I finally came to the
conclusion that I really *needed* a furry friend and that I could also
*help* another cat by adopting. As it turns out, the timing was perfect
because Amber needed a home just at that time. Once I adopted her, things
changed for me entirely. I never stopped missing my first furbaby. I still
think of him and have his picture in the computer hutch. But the change was
that suddenly I could think of all the wonderful memories and not dwell on
the death. No other cat will every replace him, just as no other cat will
every replace any of my other cats. They are our children, and you don't
"replace" a child, but each new cat has taken a new and special place in my
heart. I hope you will consider adopting another cat and go through a
similar process. When you do, it is important to realize that you may have
a short period of disappointment or even feelings of guilt because you
cannot feel the same about the newcomer as you did with Tommy. That is only
natural, and it is not something to despair about. It took time before you
had that depth of love with Tommy, and the same thing will happen with any
new furbabies that come into your life.

MaryL

cybercat
April 24th 07, 12:20 AM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote

> You wrote a beautiful tribute to Tommy, and I can see that you are feeling
> deeply depressed over your loss. When my first cat had to be euthanized
> many years ago, I had a tremendous sense of loss. He was almost 20 years
> old, and I thought of him constantly in the days after his death. I had
> decided not to get another cat because it was so painful to lose him and
> to go through the months leading to that decision. I waited about three
> months -- much too long, as I later realized -- before I finally came to
> the conclusion that I really *needed* a furry friend and that I could also
> *help* another cat by adopting. As it turns out, the timing was perfect
> because Amber needed a home just at that time. Once I adopted her, things
> changed for me entirely. I never stopped missing my first furbaby. I
> still think of him and have his picture in the computer hutch. But the
> change was that suddenly I could think of all the wonderful memories and
> not dwell on the death. No other cat will every replace him, just as no
> other cat will every replace any of my other cats. They are our children,
> and you don't "replace" a child, but each new cat has taken a new and
> special place in my heart. I hope you will consider adopting another cat
> and go through a similar process. When you do, it is important to realize
> that you may have a short period of disappointment or even feelings of
> guilt because you cannot feel the same about the newcomer as you did with
> Tommy. That is only natural, and it is not something to despair about.
> It took time before you had that depth of love with Tommy, and the same
> thing will happen with any new furbabies that come into your life.

Mary L., I did not snip any of this, because this is exactly what happened
when
my 20-year-old girl had to be euthanized, only I waited 2 months to get
Gracie.
I wish I had not let her languish for two months in that shelter where she
had
been for four months when I found her.

Noon Cat Nick
April 24th 07, 12:30 AM
Strange that so small mortality should leave
So large an emptiness: for as we grieve
Your little life of few but happy years
Ended for us, one who could understand
Each subtle word, and answer hand with hand
Had hardly taken greater toll of tears.

Yet why should we not mourn for as a friend?
That name was yours: if every man would spend
His life as well, earth were not hard to save.
Grant that God made your heart and brain but small.
What more has an archangel than his all?
Amd all God gave to you, to us you gave.

--Amelia Josephine Burr

===========================

Our rooms are very still today,
The loneliness...a void;
That dented pillow mutely mourns
Companionship...destroyed!
That fluffy ball of purring fur--
My comfort--subtle teacher--
Has left a tender tolerance
For ever living creature.
My traints and faults were audited
By questioning, loving eyes;
All tests of friendship were fulfilled
By trust that verified.

--Nellie Baldwin Rudser

===========================

With you a part of me hath passed away;
For in the peopled forest of my mind
A tree made leafless by this wintry wind
Shall never don again its green array.
Chapel and fireside, country road and bay,
Have something of their friendliness resigned;
Another, if I would, I could not find,
And I am grown much older in a day.
But yet I treasure in my memory
Your gift of charity, and young heart's ease,
And the dear honour of your amity;
For these once mine, my life is rich with these.
And I scarce know which part may greater be,--
What I keep of you, or you rob from me.

--George Santayana

===========================

I say hello, but sadly good-bye,
as I hold you in my arms.
You, who I have known,
deep within my heart.
You are so real to me.
For moments, yet for all eternity.

Why?

Why,
I ask,
must this be?

To endure in pain
is to ask for answers.
Why must this be?

Does God know why?
Will He enlighten me?
Will He strengthen my faith,
my beliefs so I can endure?
Will I ever know the answer?

Why?

--Julie Fritsch

===========================

I shall walk in the sun alone
Whose golden light you loved:
I shall sleep alone
And, stirring, touch an empty place:
I shall write uninterrupted
(Would that your gentle paw
Could stay my moving pen just once again!).

I shall see beauty
But none to match your living grace:
I shall hear music
But not so sweet as the droning song
With which you loved me.

I shall fill my days
But I shall not, cannot forget:
Sleep soft, dear friend,
For while I live you shall not die.

--Michael Joseph

===========================

Comrades of our past were they,
Of that unreturning day.
Changed and aging, they and we
Dwelt, it seemed, in sympathy.
Alway from their presence broke
Somewhat which remembrance woke
Of the loved, the lost, the young--
Yet they died, and died unsung....

Fare thee well, companion dear!
Fare for ever well, nor fear,
Tiny though thou art, to stray
Down the uncompanion'd way!
We without thee, little friend,
Many years have not to spend;
What are left, will hardly be
Better than we spent with thee.

--Matthew Arnold

===========================

Since you have gone the sun has left the sky,
No breezes blow,
No birds sing
To ease the aching vacuum in my heart.
I shall not forget your gentle ways;
No judgements made,
No difficult demands,
No needs save one,
To share your life with mine.
Now kind, uncomprehending people say
"Cheer up, you'll love another pet some day."

--Hilda Lunn

===========================

Pet was never mourned as you,
Purrer of the spotless hue,
Plumy tail and wistful gaze,
While you humoured our queer ways,
Or outshrilled your morning call
Up the stairs and through the hall--
Foot suspended in its fall--
While, expectant, you would stand
Arched, to meet the stroking hand;
Till your way you chose to wend
Yonder, to your tragic end.

Never another pet for me!
Let your place all vacant be;
Better blankness day by day
Than companion torn away.
Better bid his memory fade,
Better blot each mark he made,
Selfishly escape distress
By contrived forgetfulness,
Than preserve his prints to make
Every morn and eve an ache.

From the chair whereon he sat
Sweep his fur, not wince thereat;
Rake his little pathways out
Mid the bushes roundabout;
Smooth away his talons' mark
From the claw-worn pine-tree bark,
Where he climbed as dusk embrowned
Waiting us who loitered round.

Strange it is this speechless thing,
Subject to our mastering,
Subject for his life and food
To our gift, and time, and mood;
Timid pensionor of us Powers,
His existence ruled by ours,
Should--by crossing at a breath
Into safe and shielded death,
By the merely taking hence
Of his insignificance--
Loom as largened to the sense,
Shape as part, above man's will,
O the Imperturbable.

As a prisoner, flight debarred,
Exercising in a yard,
Still retain I, troubled, shaken,
Mean estate, by him forsaken;
And this home, which scarcely took
Impress from his little look,
By his faring to the Dim,
Grows all eloquent of him.

Housemate, I can think you still
Bounding to the window-sill,
Over which I vaguely see
Your small mound beneath the tree,
Showing in the autumn shade
That you moulder where you played.

--Thomas Hardy

===========================

When humans die, they make a will
To leave their homes, and all they
Have to those they love.
I too would make a will, if I could write.

To some poor, wistful, lonely stray
I'd leave my happy home,
My dish, my cozy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy,
The well-loved lap,
The gently stroking hand,
The loving voice,
The place I made in someone's heart,
The love, that at the last,
Could help me to a peaceful, painless end
Held in loving arms.

If I should die,
Oh! Do not say:
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss."
Seek out some lonely, unloved cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy,
The love I leave behind,
'Tis all I have to give.

--Margaret Trowton

===========================

Is Heaven all you asked of it, O little cat? Did Peter fit
A halo for your graceless head?
Is there a quilt for your special bed,
And a bowl of cream just out of reach
Of your thieving paw? Or do They teach
You not to steal in paradise?
Does the flapping of Their wings entice?
Do you scamper and swing on a golden fence,
Or are They teaching you reverence?
And are there really golden thrones
Up there? Or do the Mighty Ones
Have nice fat chairs that you can claw
And tear and snag with an impious paw?
And do the angels understand
That a little cat in a lonely land
Still longs for a kiss and a friendly cuff?

Celestial joys are not enough.
Please, some small saint in shining white,
Hold him close in your arms tonight.

--Bianca Bradbury

===========================

Dancing ribbons pushed by time
Float through an old kitten's dreams.
She chases them into eternity,
And catches them,
As they change into angels' wings.

--Daryl Douglas Foyer

===========================

Grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if I were beside you...
I loved you so--
'twas Heaven here with you.

--Isla Paschal Richardson

===========================

Farewell, my humans, yet not farewell,
Where I go you too shall dwell.
I am gone before your face,
A moment's time, a little space.
When you come where I have stepped,
You will wonder why you wept.

--Edwin Arnold

===========================

Aionía aftoú e mnéme--May his memory be eternal.

--from the Eastern Orthodox funeral liturgy

===========================

Warm summer sun
Shine kindly here,
Warm southern wind
Blow softly here,
Green sod above
Lie light, lie light—
Good night, dear heart,
Good night, good night.

--adapted from Robert Richardson's poem "Annette" by Samuel Langhorne
Clemens (Mark Twain) as the epitaph for his daughter, Olivia Susan Clemens

Take care,
Nicholas

Cheryl
April 24th 07, 12:47 AM
On Sun 22 Apr 2007 11:48:43a, EJ wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
. uk>:

> FINAL WORDS
> I commit these words to paper to remind myself in the years to
> come, just how strongly I felt for my best, most beloved friend.
> That he truly was my everything, that he truly did break my
> heart, that life lived during his was an honour, and joy and to
> be forever cherished.
>
> I loved him to the point that I could love no more.

I'm so sorry for your loss. When my first cat that was ever just
mine and went through everything with me from moving several times,
to divorce, and other losses, losing him was devastating.

Here's a poem that I found comforting even though it made me cry
hysterically every time I read it. I printed it and framed it over
a collage of photos of him. He has a memorial on the wall that
he'll always have no matter how many kitties come after him.

Take care and time heals.

Four Feet in Heaven

Your favorite chair is vacant now...
No eager purrs to greet me.
No softly padded paws to run
Ecstatically to meet me.

No coaxing rubs, no plaintive cry
Will say it's time for feeding.
I've put away your bowl, and all
The things you won't be needing;

But I will miss you little friend,
For I could never measure
The happiness you brought me,
The comfort and the pleasure.

And since God put you here to share
In earthly joy and sorrow;
I'm sure there'll be a place for you
In Heaven's bright tomorrow...

- Alice E. Chase

--
Cheryl

MaryL
April 24th 07, 08:10 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Mary L., I did not snip any of this, because this is exactly what happened
> when
> my 20-year-old girl had to be euthanized, only I waited 2 months to get
> Gracie.
> I wish I had not let her languish for two months in that shelter where she
> had
> been for four months when I found her.

Yes, I understand those thoughts. It is painful for me to know that Duffy
stayed in a cage at the animal shelter for several months. On the other
hand, we know that our babies will never again be faced with that type of
life.

MaryL