PDA

View Full Version : Ping Sheelagh!

Lynne
April 22nd 07, 11:20 PM
Sheelagh, I was just thinking about Ringo and wondering how he's coming
along. I'm sure you're holding him extra tight in light of the lost kitty.
I would be beside myself with worry in your shoes, but also feeling
completely helpless. I really can't imagine how you must feel.

Will you please let us know how Ringo is doing, and if you have any current
photos, post a link?

Thank you.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

sheelagh
April 23rd 07, 12:09 AM
On 22 Apr, 23:20, Lynne > wrote:
> Sheelagh, I was just thinking about Ringo and wondering how he's coming
> along. I'm sure you're holding him extra tight in light of the lost kitty.
> I would be beside myself with worry in your shoes, but also feeling
> completely helpless. I really can't imagine how you must feel.
>
> Will you please let us know how Ringo is doing, and if you have any current
> photos, post a link?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> "We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
> We are brave enough to bend to cry
> And sad enough to know
> We must laugh again"
>
> ~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Thank you for thinking of us Lynne. I have just posted another update
regarding Jack on the other thread. Sadly we know that Jack has
already crossed the Rainbow Bridge well before his time, & so
needlessly. He was shot with an air rifle we *think* on Friday night.
I can't be exact, but we assume so because he wasn't allowed to
wonder. Only allowed out in the garden whilst his humans were @ home.
So because he didn't come in that night, it must have been then...?!!
#@!
I feel guilty in a way ( I wonder if you can understand that?)..
because Ringo is almost back to normal again. In fact today he was
told off for climbing on top of the window sill in the kitchen because
he smelt roast Chickennnnnn, his favourite....

His cast is off & his stitches are out. his mobility is almost
perfect( he limps occasionally)..but after 3 broken toes which he
already had when he claimed us & being shot @ almost blank point, he
is doing considerably well. I am fairly annoyed that I don't have a
camera presently.
One of my lads borrowed it to take to a Trivium concert and it won't
focus properly now. I might try and borrow one in a couple of days
just to take a few photos of him & hand it back once they are done. I
would also like to take a few more of Tiggy's kittens.. or should I
say Tahnee's kittens..?!!

He is never allowed out unaccompanied now & this will remain that way
until I can raise the money to cat proof my garden so that all of the
cats have a limited amount of freedom, rather than a favoured few. I
don't feel comfortable even taking them to the meadow were he was shot
that night. it doesn't feel like a freedom place anymore.
you are right. It is not just me that needs to reconsider feline
security around here anymore.. this is every one's problem now...

I had great idea's as to what I might do with the money from our/
Tiggy's final litter, but our priorities have changed since then. I
think we need to protect our cat's here & that is going to cost us a
pretty penny, I assure you. Somewhere in the region of around 800..
but then again it is money well spent if it protects them from these
mindless idiots. I simply can't get my mind round why they would do
this??
None of us would ever have considered doing this as kids..possibly the
deranged few, but not in general.
It feels like there is a sudden swift change in our teenagers that we
need to consider her and now....

I promise to post a few photos of Ringo as soon as I can get my hands
on a digital camera. Ross loves him to bits of course & took him
upstairs to bed @ 10pm tonight. He has just started a new weekend
job( he is still @ school, but just 16 & has a national insurance no:
now) & has offered to contribute towards the cat proof garden, bless
him. it is a wonderful gesture, but I would rather he saved it towards
his University fund. He will need it when he gets there, more than we
do right now....
thank you for asking...

Sheelagh

Sherry
April 23rd 07, 05:31 AM
On Apr 22, 6:09 pm, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> but then again it is money well spent if it protects them from these
> mindless idiots. I simply can't get my mind round why they would do
> this??
> None of us would ever have considered doing this as kids..possibly the
> deranged few, but not in general.
> It feels like there is a sudden swift change in our teenagers that we
> need to consider her and now....
>
> I promise to post a few photos of Ringo as soon as I can get my hands
> on a digital camera. Ross loves him to bits of course & took him
> upstairs to bed @ 10pm tonight. He has just started a new weekend
> job( he is still @ school, but just 16 & has a national insurance no:
> now) & has offered to contribute towards the cat proof garden, bless
> him. it is a wonderful gesture, but I would rather he saved it towards
> his University fund. He will need it when he gets there, more than we

Has your local media picked up on this story? I imagine it is quite
unusual for the U.K. and would be newsworthy to them. Main reason
being, it would get the word out and warn other cat-owners. Have you
thought of calling them?

Sherry

Cheryl
April 24th 07, 01:42 AM
On Mon 23 Apr 2007 12:31:34a, Sherry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Has your local media picked up on this story? I imagine it is
> quite unusual for the U.K. and would be newsworthy to them. Main
> reason being, it would get the word out and warn other
> cat-owners. Have you thought of calling them?

I would think so, too, Sherry. I thought it was safe for cats
outdoors for the most part there, but in reading Sheelagh's posts
lately, it sure doesn't seem so. It sure does seem to be something
that would be newsworthy. I hope this latest round of perps is caught
and tried.

--
Cheryl

sheelagh
April 24th 07, 04:25 AM
On 24 Apr, 01:42, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Mon 23 Apr 2007 12:31:34a, Sherry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > Has your local media picked up on this story? I imagine it is
> > quite unusual for the U.K. and would be newsworthy to them. Main
> > reason being, it would get the word out and warn other
> > cat-owners. Have you thought of calling them?
>
> I would think so, too, Sherry. I thought it was safe for cats
> outdoors for the most part there, but in reading Sheelagh's posts
> lately, it sure doesn't seem so. It sure does seem to be something
> that would be newsworthy. I hope this latest round of perps is caught
> and tried.
>
> --
> Cheryl

We have contacted them Cheryl. I called them yesterday & Michelle
called them today too. Our main local rag is called the evening
Telegraph which is a part of emap (eat Midlands allied press). I
intend to email the BBC later this morning too because I noticed that
yesterday evening that they were carrying a story regarding dogs being
Dog- knapped...one of which nearly happened right in front of it's
owner as well... how cocky can you get? Obviously the dog thief didn't
realise the owner standing right next to the dog talking to someone..
whats more worrying is what they want them for?

After the main news, we get regional news straight after it. I am
hoping that if we can give them as much information as we can ( the
local vet is happy for us to mention her too, because these cats are
also her customers cats, so it is in her interest to take part in this
despicable story, isn't it?)..If we get anywhere, I will make a link
for you so that I can share it all with you as well.
I think it might also be an idea for us to contact every other news
paper in the area too. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I
found out that the same thing happened to anyone else, when I had the
chance to spread the word, but didn't..it is one of those humane
stories, so I am hoping that they will pick up on that side of it as
well as reminding people to keep an eye on their cats, because to us
it is abnormal to keep them in...90% let their cats out, be it right
or wrong.... but if they really do care about their cat, they **will**
keep an extra vigilant eye on where they are.. I know that I certainly
would....;o(
S.

sheelagh
April 24th 07, 04:36 AM
On 23 Apr, 05:31, Sherry > wrote:
> [...]
> > need to consider her and now....
>
> > I promise to post a few photos of Ringo as soon as I can get my hands
> > on a digital camera. Ross loves him to bits of course & took him
> > upstairs to bed @ 10pm tonight. He has just started a new weekend
> > job( he is still @ school, but just 16 & has a national insurance no:
> > now) & has offered to contribute towards the cat proof garden, bless
> > him. it is a wonderful gesture, but I would rather he saved it towards
> > his University fund. He will need it when he gets there, more than we
> > do right now....
> > thank you for asking...
>
> > Sheelagh- Hide quoted text
>
> Has your local media picked up on this story? I imagine it is quite
> unusual for the U.K. and would be newsworthy to them. Main reason
> being, it would get the word out and warn other cat-owners. Have you

Did some of them this/last morning Sherry & will do the rest of the
local one too later this am (it is 04.20am here! I can't sleep for
anger what has happened to that poor little kitty and his family
too).. what would really wrap it up is if we can get the T.V people
interested I think, because most people sit down & eat tea around that
time & watch T.V as well. It needs ADRESSING AND FAST TOO.
I have even emailed our member of parliament about it & hope to get
some response to say that he wil ask the appropriate member across the
house what they are going to do about it.
With the added factor of Ivan & his 18 month old son being shot @ too,
should be a good story for them to run. I promise to let you know &
keep you informed of events with links where possible of course!
S.

sheelagh
April 25th 07, 01:24 AM
On 24 Apr, 01:42, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Mon 23 Apr 2007 12:31:34a, Sherry wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > Has your local media picked up on this story? I imagine it is
> > quite unusual for the U.K. and would be newsworthy to them. Main
> > reason being, it would get the word out and warn other
> > cat-owners. Have you thought of calling them?
>
> I would think so, too, Sherry. I thought it was safe for cats
> outdoors for the most part there, but in reading Sheelagh's posts
> lately, it sure doesn't seem so. It sure does seem to be something
> that would be newsworthy. I hope this latest round of perps is caught
> and tried.
>
> --
> Cheryl

Us too.
It was a very expensive lesson. It cost Michelle an irreplaceable
friend, & us an absolute fortune in vet bills. I will not complain
because it was our mistake & we are lucky enough to have saved a dear
companion.
We feel that we let them down, & the best thing we have learnt from
this is to keep your cat safe in doors or a cat run built for the
purpose of allowing them freedom and fresh air.
S.

Cheryl
April 25th 07, 02:02 AM
On Tue 24 Apr 2007 08:24:39p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
s.com>:

> We feel that we let them down, & the best thing we have learnt
> from this is to keep your cat safe in doors or a cat run built
> for the purpose of allowing them freedom and fresh air.

Sheelagh, it used to be normal to let cats out, and dogs in some
neighborhoods. I don't know when that all changed. In some places
it hasn't. And in places where it has changed for most pet
owners, it hasn't for others. I cringe when I see someone's pet
cat running loose. And dogs, too. I see them sometimes, too, but
usually only when they've escaped a fenced in yard. My next door
neighbors dog (Jasmine -- you might have seen pictures of her on
my photo site) was hit by cars twice. There are a lot of dangers
here that you've read about; some due to preditors, some due to
people who don't give a **** about animals and wildlife and put
who knows what on their trophy lawns that are unsafe for animals,
but the worst fear to me for animals is traffic. I live just
outside of Washington DC and I'm even afraid for my own life
sometimes driving here, let alone hope for some poor animal who
wandered onto the road to survive. People drive way way too fast.
There's no chance to react with reflexes at the speeds too many
people drive. Add to that the cellphone that's always hanging off
their ear, and they have poor reflexes and too distracted to try
to avoid hitting something even if they saw it to begin with.

In my place in the world, those are the reasons my cats don't go
out. I haven't experienced or even heard of anyone snatching pets,
poisoning them, selling them to labs or many of the other horrible
things people worry about when talking about roaming pets. Yes,
I'm sure it happens. I just don't see it.

With the population growing, and sprawl and crawl an everyday part
of life, and houses being built so close together that you can see
right into a neighbors window from your own as if you're standing
right outside of it, in the area in which I live it just isn't
suited for cats to roam. There are places that aren't like this.
Just here, it is like that. Should I not have cats? I think
you're understanding that there are reasons to keep them in, and
I'm sorry you have to find out the hard way.

--
Cheryl
/done with the indoor-outdoor thing. Just sick of hearing the

CatNipped
April 25th 07, 03:12 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> With the population growing, and sprawl and crawl an everyday part
> of life, and houses being built so close together that you can see
> right into a neighbors window from your own as if you're standing
> right outside of it, in the area in which I live it just isn't
> suited for cats to roam. There are places that aren't like this.
> Just here, it is like that. Should I not have cats? I think
> you're understanding that there are reasons to keep them in, and
> I'm sorry you have to find out the hard way.

Leaving aside the safety issues, there is another reason I keep my cats
indoors - I'm jealous of their time with me! They live such fleeting lives
compared to hours that I want every second of their time with me that I can
take. If they're roaming outdoors then that's time I've lost!!

Hugs,

CatNipped