PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive cat - long winded post (sorry)

Sharon
April 24th 07, 03:16 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.

My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only 4 years old and in very good health.

However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only. Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger hates them and would appear to hate all cats.

So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my neighbours poor starving pregnant cat started hanging around for food. As she looked so sickly I began to feed her. That was okay because the mother cat lived on the carport roof, Ginger on the ground. Until the mother cat had her kittens and started coming into the backyard looking for food and I think a new home.

Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot worse. Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the sunroom and she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sharon.

Noon Cat Nick
April 24th 07, 03:34 AM
Sharon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.
>
> My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only
> 4 years old and in very good health.
>
> However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only.
> Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger
> hates them and would appear to hate all cats.
>
> So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and
> the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my
> neighbours poor starving pregnant cat started hanging around for
> food. As she looked so sickly I began to feed her. That was okay
> because the mother cat lived on the carport roof, Ginger on the
> ground. Until the mother cat had her kittens and started coming into
> the backyard looking for food and I think a new home.
>
> Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick
> her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot
> worse. Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the
> sunroom and she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sharon.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression.html

It would also appear, from your description, that Ginger needs to live
as the only cat in her household/territory. Obviously that's opposite of
your current situation.

If you haven't already, ask your nephew about what Ginger's disposition
was before you took her in.

You might also do well to have her checked out by a vet, to rule out any
physical maladies that might be causing her aggression. Put on a pair of
thick gloves, get her in a carrier, and see what the vet can determine
and/or recommend.

HTH.

Charlie Wilkes
April 24th 07, 08:12 AM
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:16:28 +1000, Sharon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.
>
> My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only 4
> years old and in very good health.
>
> However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only.
> Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger
> hates them and would appear to hate all cats.
>
> So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and
> the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my neighbours poor
> starving pregnant cat started hanging around for food. As she looked so
> sickly I began to feed her. That was okay because the mother cat lived
> on the carport roof, Ginger on the ground. Until the mother cat had her
> kittens and started coming into the backyard looking for food and I
> think a new home.
>
> Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick
> her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot worse.
> Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the sunroom
> and she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What a shame. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it would be
nice if you could do something to help the kittens and their poor mother
as well as Ginger. It sounds like the mother cat is not really your
neighbor's cat so much as a stray cat that lives in your neighbor's
carport. Perhaps you could find an animal protection group that would
spay her free or cheap so at least she doesn't have any more litters.

Anyway, good luck.

Charlie

Spot
April 24th 07, 03:26 PM
I think I would see about finding all the outside cats homes including ginger. Some cats just do not like other cats and obviously she needs to be in a home where she's the only cat.

Celeste

"Sharon" > wrote in message ...
[...]

cindys
April 24th 07, 04:38 PM
"Spot" > wrote in message news:[email protected]
I think I would see about finding all the outside cats homes including ginger. Some cats just do not like other cats and obviously she needs to be in a home where she's the only cat.

-----------
I second that plan.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

sheelagh
April 25th 07, 01:48 AM
On 24 Apr, 03:16, "Sharon" > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.
>
> My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only 4 years old and in very good health.
>
> However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only. Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger hates them and would appear to hate all cats.
>
> So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my neighbours poor starving pregnant cat started hanging around for food. As she looked so sickly I began to feed her. That was okay because the mother cat lived on the carport roof, Ginger on the ground. Until the mother cat had her kittens and started coming into the backyard looking for food and I think a new home.
>
> Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot worse. Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the sunroom and she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sharon.

Is Ginger neutered?
S;o)

Barry
April 26th 07, 03:40 AM
On Apr 24, 9:53 pm,
"Human_And_Animal_Behaviour_Forensic_Sciences_Resea "
> Be that as it may, I would like to state that you

Hello

Did you really MEAN to put the word Human in your nym?
or is that just poppycock?

> read more ╗

Sharon
April 26th 07, 04:36 AM
Hi,

Thanks very much for your posts..

Ginger is de-sexed and microchip. There are so many cats around our
neighbourhood, finding Ginger a new home will be almost impossible.
Especially with her volatile nature.

The link that "Noon Cat Nick" sent is excellent and now added to my
bookmarks. It has a few suggestions that I will try. I

Once again, thanks everyone for your posts.

Sharon.

"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s22...
> Sharon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.
>> My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only 4
>> years old and in very good health.
>> However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only.
>> Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger
>> hates them and would appear to hate all cats.
>> So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and
>> the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my neighbours poor
>> starving pregnant cat started hanging around for food. As she looked so
>> sickly I began to feed her. That was okay because the mother cat lived
>> on the carport roof, Ginger on the ground. Until the mother cat had her
>> kittens and started coming into the backyard looking for food and I think
>> a new home.
>> Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick
>> her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot worse.
>> Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the sunroom and
>> she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
>> Sharon.
>

> http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression.html
>
> It would also appear, from your description, that Ginger needs to live as
> the only cat in her household/territory. Obviously that's opposite of your
> current situation.
>
> If you haven't already, ask your nephew about what Ginger's disposition
> was before you took her in.
>
> You might also do well to have her checked out by a vet, to rule out any
> physical maladies that might be causing her aggression. Put on a pair of
> thick gloves, get her in a carrier, and see what the vet can determine
> and/or recommend.
>
> HTH.

cindys
April 26th 07, 01:16 PM
"Sharon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Thanks very much for your posts..
>
> Ginger is de-sexed and microchip. There are so many cats around our
> neighbourhood, finding Ginger a new home will be almost impossible.
-----------
Sometimes rescue groups are willing to do "courtesy postings," i.e. you can
post a picture and description of a cat you are trying to rehome on their
website, but the group itself is not responsible for the cat in any way (the
cat obviously stays with you in the meantime), and anyone who would phone to
inquire about the cat would be referred directly to you. This may not be the
appropriate solution for Ginger, but I thought I would take the opportunity
to post it anyway, and it also may help out someone else.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Sharon
April 27th 07, 01:21 AM
Hi,

Ginger lived in the Blue Mountains on quite a large property, the only other
cats around were ferals which she use to get into fights with.

I am perhaps giving misleading information, Ginger isn't always aggressive.
She can on occasions be a delightful and beautiful cat. She only re-acts
badly when the neighbours cats come visiting. I try to chase the cats out
of the backyard and back onto the carport roof. (With not a lot of
success).

The site you sent me to does suggest at the last resort medication. I am
taking Ginger to the vets tomorrow and will have her checked out and have a
chat with them.

In Ginger's perfect world there would be no other cats - trying to find her
a new home will be difficult. I am not too sure how many people would put
up with her bad moods and aggressive behaviour. She and I need to try to
work this out...

Sharon.

"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s22...
> Sharon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me.
>> My nephew had to go interstate so left me his female cat. She is only 4
>> years old and in very good health.
>> However, I already have two beautiful cats who are inside cats only.
>> Anyway, I introduced "Ginger" to them.... that didn't go well. Ginger
>> hates them and would appear to hate all cats.
>> So Ginger became an outside cat, while my girls remain inside cats and
>> the three very rarely met. But about two months ago my neighbours poor
>> starving pregnant cat started hanging around for food. As she looked so
>> sickly I began to feed her. That was okay because the mother cat lived
>> on the carport roof, Ginger on the ground. Until the mother cat had her
>> kittens and started coming into the backyard looking for food and I think
>> a new home.
>> Ginger has had a fit.. she growls, yells, screams... if I try to pick
>> her up she bites me, takes swipes at me and she is getting a lot worse.
>> Last night it was raining so I tried to bring Ginger into the sunroom and
>> she went crazy. I just don't know what to do.
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
>> Sharon.
>

> http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression.html
>
> It would also appear, from your description, that Ginger needs to live as
> the only cat in her household/territory. Obviously that's opposite of your
> current situation.
>
> If you haven't already, ask your nephew about what Ginger's disposition
> was before you took her in.
>
> You might also do well to have her checked out by a vet, to rule out any
> physical maladies that might be causing her aggression. Put on a pair of
> thick gloves, get her in a carrier, and see what the vet can determine
> and/or recommend.
>
> HTH.

Barry
April 28th 07, 12:43 AM
On Apr 27, 6:31 pm, Human_And...
> But of curse, Barry. ALL temperament and behavior problems
> are CAUSED BY HUMAN MISHANDLING, not "genetics"
> or BREED or BREED TRAITS, it's strictly HUMAN ABUSE
> and MISHANDLING as taught by HOWER professional dog
> trainers and university Master's Degree behavior programs and
> veterinary malpracticioners:

just like we have retarded people, we have retarded animals.

it's not always somebody's fault.

your little human part of the title is dis-associative.

but don't change it.

Barry
April 28th 07, 12:46 AM
On Apr 27, 6:36 pm,
Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resear
wrote:
> HOWEDY Barry,
>
> On Apr 25, 10:40 pm, Barry > wrote:
>
> > On Apr 24, 9:53 pm,
> > "Human_And_Animal_Behaviour_Forensic_Sciences_Resea "
>
> > > Be that as it may, I would like to state that you
>
> > Hello
>
> > Did you really MEAN to put the word Human in your nym?
> > or is that just poppycock?
>
> Perhaps you need a PRACTICAL DEAMONSTRATION
> of HOWE FORENSIC SCIENCE EVIDENCE can be used
> to IDENTIFY EXXXPOSE and DISCREDIT the liars cowards
> dog abusers frauds and active acute chronic life long incurable
> mental patients postin here abHOWETS???

Perhaps, but I already agree that humans can create a dysfunctional
pet.

my only point was.. some animals are dysfunctional on their own.

(don't get your ass bit.. thinking... oh.. this pup just needs proper
training)

That teethy 120lb pup could very well be retarded. and may or may not
have had any human
handling.

you know this don't you

Bawwy
April 28th 07, 09:10 PM
alpha. bobę wote:

> It would be nice Barry if you would learn not to crosspost all this BS
> from the '****wizard'

hey don't bleed on me man...

I DO see where pussy wizard antagonizes some of you
and you probably deserved it

AM I RIGHT?

anyway... laying aside his fun

he's right on about animal behavior...

did you read my reply? I suggest that all dysfunctional animal
behavior did not come from humans.. as some animals are born retarded
(just like we have retarded people)..

you have to know I don't say that disrespectfully, I believe retarded
is the proper medical term (in humans anyway)