PDA

View Full Version : FDA to test food glutens for contamination

CatNipped
April 24th 07, 10:04 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070424/ts_nm/petfood_testing_dc_1

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Tuesday it will test imports
of wheat gluten, corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein, rice bran and rice
protein concentrate to detect any contamination with melamine.

The materials are used to manufacture both human and livestock feed, the FDA
said.

"We're going to target firms that we know are receiving imported products,"
said David Acheson, chief medical officer of the FDA's Center for Food
Safety and Applied Nutrition. "The goal is obviously to sample as much as we
can."

Melamine, used in plastics and fertilizer, was recently found in wheat
gluten and rice protein, both used in some U.S. pet foods.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Lynne
April 25th 07, 03:35 PM
on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:50:16 GMT, Nomen Nescio > wrote:

> I keep wondering why nobody has raised to most important question to
> come out of all this:
>
> If we have all this excess US agricultural produce to turn into ethanol,
> why the hell are we eating, and feeding our pets, questionable food that
> we're importing from overseas....from a country that won't even give the
> FDA a visa to investigate the contamination?

Surely you know the answer is $$. Cheap **** from China is nothing new, we
are now just paying far more for it, with the health and safety of our pets
and perhaps people, too.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech