PDA

View Full Version : Any good idea's on how to build an outside run for our cat family.

sheelagh
April 25th 07, 02:54 PM
I have come to the conclusion that we can no longer take the risk of
allowing our cat's out, even in our own Garden. After recent events, I
feel that we can't even allow them in the garden in case someone takes
a pop shot @ them all. In light of this, I have decided that the best
thing that we can do, would be to build a large cat run in the garden
off the side of the house so that they have access to it all of the
time, but they are all enclosed and safe from cat haters, or simple
idiots who couldn't care less what they hurt, (as long as it doesn't
affect them;o(

I had a look @ Chatnoir photos and they truly are inspiring, hence my
request for any other ideas for containing the cats, but allowing
fresh air and freedom of a degree. Cheryl provided a few with the
guarded warning that they might try tunneling.. so we might have to
dig 2 bricks down to ensure that they cannot get out. I would be
devastated if that were to happen!!

Just some idea's would be great if you have any? I have decided that
we should build it straight out of the patio door in the living room
to allow us to leave the door open all of the time in the summer & it
also gives the cats the chance to pop out when they want to to as
well. In the winter, we can also allow them access to it, but we can
also close the door if we wish to, to maintain the heat in the living
room. ....

I think that our only major problem is that because we have doubled
glazed windows and doors too, that there is absolutely no chance that
we could install a cat flap that would allow them to come and go as
they please. If anyone has any ideas as to how we might work around
them one that one, I would be ever so pleased to hear about it if
possible?

I was going to try installing that mesh fencing around the garden, but
now that I have seen examples of both C.Noir & Cheryl's ideas, I also
see that it is a far better idea, much more interesting for the cats,
& very human friendly, so that we can go out there too if we want to
join them. I would like to shelter the vast majority of it & leave a
little bit open to dun light so that they cats bask in the sunlight if
they want to. All of them like a nibble of grass occasionally to
assist with removing hairballs.....

Advice regarding flora would be need on what I might be able to grow
inside it, because I have no idea what plants are poisonous to cats
other than Lilly's. If anyone knows about plants & could assist with
this, that would be a tremendous help also. If I am going to build
this, I want to go the whole hog and make it a sanctuary for humans
and cats, both!! I worked out that the amount of money that it was
going to cost me to surround the entire garden comes to around 850 -
$1700. That is a hell of a lot of money for a bit of a fence, that
may.. or may not work. I don't want to take my chances.

With the same money, we could build a hell of a covered pergola & fill
it with activities for them & a comfortable areafor us to enjoy too,
as long as we do the project ourselves. With 2 strapping son's, I am
certain that we could do this if we all pulled together..
Lots oF photos and ideas/ & advice in general would be most
appreciated indeed.

Thank you all,
Sheelagh;o)

22brix
April 25th 07, 03:14 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hi Sheelagh,

Here's a site that lists common plants poisonous to cats.

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/poisonousplantsdogscats.pdf?docID=109&AddInterest=1101

Good luck--it's a great project!

Bonnie

Gail Futoran
April 25th 07, 05:48 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have come to the conclusion that we can no longer take the risk of
allowing our cat's out, even in our own Garden. After recent events, I
feel that we can't even allow them in the garden in case someone takes
a pop shot @ them all. In light of this, I have decided that the best
thing that we can do, would be to build a large cat run in the garden
off the side of the house so that they have access to it all of the
time, but they are all enclosed and safe from cat haters, or simple
idiots who couldn't care less what they hurt, (as long as it doesn't
>affect them;o(
[snip]

We once had a cat run just outside our patio
door. Obviously we couldn't cut a hole
in the patio door for a flap. My husband
made a vertical insert out of a piece of
plywood and put a flap in the bottom of that.
The plywood insert was just wide enough
for the cat door, so we were still able to
use the patio door ourselves.

I've seen commercial products that do
the same thing, e.g. at Petsmart.
www.drsfostersmith.com has several
types of window doors for cats. Search
on "window" and they'll pop up. That
should give you some ideas that you
could modify for yourself.

We never had a problem with our cats
trying to tunnel under. The problem
was with one of them going over the
top. We had built the run around a vine
so we couldn't seal off the top. I
would highly recommend sealing off
the top!

Here's a link to one site showing a cat
enclosure:
http://www.brushyland.com/cats/enclose.htm
It's not exactly what you have in mind, but
if you google cat enclosures you'll probably
find others.
Here's another link that has a variety of
enclosures linked:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm

Gail F.

Sherry
April 26th 07, 08:12 AM
On Apr 25, 8:54 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> inside it, because I have no idea what plants are poisonous to cats
> other than Lilly's. If anyone knows about plants & could assist with
> this, that would be a tremendous help also. If I am going to build
> this, I want to go the whole hog and make it a sanctuary for humans
> and cats, both!! I worked out that the amount of money that it was
> going to cost me to surround the entire garden comes to around 850 -
> $1700. That is a hell of a lot of money for a bit of a fence, that
> may.. or may not work. I don't want to take my chances.
>
> With the same money, we could build a hell of a covered pergola & fill
> it with activities for them & a comfortable areafor us to enjoy too,
> as long as we do the project ourselves. With 2 strapping son's, I am
> certain that we could do this if we all pulled together..
> Lots oF photos and ideas/ & advice in general would be most

I'm not sure what you have in mind, but we did build an enclosure for
my daughter's cats when she married & left home. Here are a couple of
pictures during the time we were building it. I don't have any pics of
the enclosure after it was finished, but the cats had access via a cat
flap and had a lot of trees & ramps. It was built on an existing
concrete slab but extended out where they had some grass also.
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Sherry

ode de sweat
April 26th 07, 11:54 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm not sure what you have in mind, but we did build an enclosure for
my daughter's cats when she married & left home. Here are a couple of
pictures during the time we were building it. I don't have any pics of
the enclosure after it was finished, but the cats had access via a cat
flap and had a lot of trees & ramps. It was built on an existing
concrete slab but extended out where they had some grass also.
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg

Sherry

That is incredible Sher

it IS an addition to your home

one would.. simply replace the common screen mesh with kennel wire I guess

It's interesting... we goto lengths to care for our cats

At first, people passing by say... Oh there's something wrong with them
people, they are goo goo over cats.
but then! they see how beautiful and captivating the cats are... and they
say.. aaahhh no wonder those people are so protective of their cats.

Then they go about scratching their head saying "I had no idea cats could be
so sociably undulating"

chatnoir
April 26th 07, 03:00 PM
On Apr 25, 7:54 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]

> inside it, because I have no idea what plants are poisonous to cats
> other than Lilly's. If anyone knows about plants & could assist with
> this, that would be a tremendous help also. If I am going to build
> this, I want to go the whole hog and make it a sanctuary for humans
> and cats, both!! I worked out that the amount of money that it was
> going to cost me to surround the entire garden comes to around 850 -
> $1700. That is a hell of a lot of money for a bit of a fence, that
> may.. or may not work. I don't want to take my chances.
>
> With the same money, we could build a hell of a covered pergola & fill
> it with activities for them & a comfortable areafor us to enjoy too,
> as long as we do the project ourselves. With 2 strapping son's, I am
> certain that we could do this if we all pulled together..
> Lots oF photos and ideas/ & advice in general would be most

Well, when I bought the House, there was a entrance for a dog built
into the wall of the House! So, you could build an entrance and exit
into the wall and have a double cat door to keep out the cold!

There are a few sites for cat friendly plants - Inside and outside!:

http://paws-on-floors.co.uk/catplants.html

http://www.burkardnurseries.com/pages/planting_tips/animal_friendly.htm

http://www.geocities.com/catwhiskasplace/plants2.html

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants-non-toxic.html

http://www.siliconhell.com/madcat/facts.htm#plants

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=9&S=2

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=14730&t=23213

Well, I grow Grape Vines on My Cat Cage! I allow them to cover the
top of the cage; but you can cut them down from there! When covering
the cage, It does not help in removing the snow for the top and shades
out most plants! Was surprised bristly greenbrier was listed as cat
friendly! I grow it on my outside perimeter of my property to keep
out unwanted guests!

chatnoir
April 26th 07, 03:19 PM
> [...]
> inside it, because I have no idea what plants are poisonous to cats
> other than Lilly's. If anyone knows about plants & could assist with
> this, that would be a tremendous help also. If I am going to build
> this, I want to go the whole hog and make it a sanctuary for humans
> and cats, both!! I worked out that the amount of money that it was
> going to cost me to surround the entire garden comes to around 850 -
> $1700. That is a hell of a lot of money for a bit of a fence, that
> may.. or may not work. I don't want to take my chances.
>
> With the same money, we could build a hell of a covered pergola & fill
> it with activities for them & a comfortable areafor us to enjoy too,
> as long as we do the project ourselves. With 2 strapping son's, I am
> certain that we could do this if we all pulled together..
> Lots oF photos and ideas/ & advice in general would be most

Oh, when I wnet to build mine way back, I did a search and found some
amazing enclosures that Individuals had built! Just a few out there!:

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures-2.htm

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

http://brushyland.com/cats/

http://brushyland.com/cats/enclose.htm

They are out there on the web! Just a bit hard to find with all the
commercial sites that flood the web! I never had any problem with
cats trying to dig out!

ode de sweat
April 26th 07, 03:24 PM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Oh, when I wnet to build mine way back, I did a search and found some
amazing enclosures that Individuals had built! Just a few out there!:

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures-2.htm

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm

http://brushyland.com/cats/

http://brushyland.com/cats/enclose.htm

Those are very nice....

2 things come to mind

one... some of those look tediuos to keep looking tops (but that's ok...
like we have anything much better to do.. it could be theraputic)

second thing comes to mind.. PUT SOME FISH IN THE PONDS

hahaa

Sherry
April 26th 07, 07:05 PM
On Apr 26, 5:54 am, "ode de sweat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> I'm not sure what you have in mind, but we did build an enclosure for
> my daughter's cats when she married & left home. Here are a couple of
> pictures during the time we were building it. I don't have any pics of
> the enclosure after it was finished, but the cats had access via a cat
> flap and had a lot of trees & ramps. It was built on an existing
> concrete slab but extended out where they had some grass also.http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpghttp://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg
>
> Sherry
>
> That is incredible Sher
>
> it IS an addition to your home

Oh, thanks. It wasn't that hard and only cost about $200 for wire &
boards. The concrete pad & roof was already there, it was an open
patio cover thing. Yeah, people tend to think you're weird for going
to lengths like that, except for cat people.

CatNipped
April 26th 07, 08:56 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 26, 5:54 am, "ode de sweat" > wrote:
>> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> I'm not sure what you have in mind, but we did build an enclosure for
>> my daughter's cats when she married & left home. Here are a couple of
>> pictures during the time we were building it. I don't have any pics of
>> the enclosure after it was finished, but the cats had access via a cat
>> flap and had a lot of trees & ramps. It was built on an existing
>> concrete slab but extended out where they had some grass
>> also.http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpghttp://members.aol.com/sriddles/room2.jpg
>>
>> Sherry
>>
>> That is incredible Sher
>>
>> it IS an addition to your home
>
> Oh, thanks. It wasn't that hard and only cost about $200 for wire &
> boards. The concrete pad & roof was already there, it was an open
> patio cover thing. Yeah, people tend to think you're weird for going
> to lengths like that, except for cat people.

We're thinking about enclosing in the deck - both for the cats and to keep
the mosquitos out when we're hot-tubbing. Big job, though, if not for the
expense then for the labor. I admire people who actually *carry through* on
their projects!! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Barry
April 27th 07, 02:28 AM
On Apr 26, 3:56 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
I admire people who actually *carry through* on
> their projects!! ;>

yeah, i've been topping my fence going on 3 years now
I finally just opened the door and shouted hallelujah!!!!

have it, have it, have it!!!! go go!!!!

****e

bookie
April 27th 07, 01:51 PM
On 26 Apr, 19:05, Sherry > wrote:
> On Apr 26, 5:54 am, "ode de sweat" > wrote:
>

> > "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I'm not sure what you have in mind, but we did build an enclosure for
> > my daughter's cats when she married & left home. Here are a couple of
> > pictures during the time we were building it. I don't have any pics of
> > the enclosure after it was finished, but the cats had access via a cat
> > flap and had a lot of trees & ramps. It was built on an existing
> > concrete slab but extended out where they had some grass also.http://members.aol.com/sriddles/room1.jpghttp://members.aol.com/sridd...
>
> > Sherry
>
> > That is incredible Sher
>
> > it IS an addition to your home
>
> Oh, thanks. It wasn't that hard and only cost about $200 for wire &
> boards. The concrete pad & roof was already there, it was an open
> patio cover thing. Yeah, people tend to think you're weird for going
> to lengths like that, except for cat people.- Hide quoted text -

when people mock me for going to anylengths to make sure my cats get
the best of everything (from buying roast chicken fomrthe deli counter
inthe supermarket to sitting on the floor so oneof thenm can stay
snoozing onthe sofa and not be disturbed) i just answer "why have cats
if you arent' going to spoil them?" do these other people get pets and
go to great lengths to make their lives truly uncomfrotable then? in
that case why get pets if you are just goign to be mean to them, if
they are cats they will not hang around for long and will find a new
mum elsewhere.

sod 'em they just dont; understand, they must have somethign missing
from their lives I think
bookie

bookie
April 27th 07, 02:00 PM
On 26 Apr, 15:19, chatnoir > wrote:
> [...]
> > it with activities for them & a comfortable areafor us to enjoy too,
> > as long as we do the project ourselves. With 2 strapping son's, I am
> > certain that we could do this if we all pulled together..
> > Lots oF photos and ideas/ & advice in general would be most
> > appreciated indeed.
>
> > Thank you all,
> > Sheelagh;o)
>
> Oh, when I wnet to build mine way back, I did a search and found some
> amazing enclosures that Individuals had built! Just a few out there!:
>
> http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures-2.htm
>
> http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm
>
> http://brushyland.com/cats/
>
> http://brushyland.com/cats/enclose.htm
>
> They are out there on the web! Just a bit hard to find with all the
> commercial sites that flood the web! I never had any problem with
> cats trying to dig out!- Hide quoted text -

they are awesome! i love the one with the white house in it and the
huge graden around, although it could do with a few larger overhanging
trees to provide more shade in summer. i love the waterfall feature
inone with the pusscat drinking from it, great feature.
with all the ropes and climbing things and high places to perch those
cats must think they are in paradise

BTW a friend of mine who has double glazed sliding patio doors to her
back garden has had a hole knopcked through in the back wall of the
house next to the doors and a tunnel lined and 2 normal cat flaps out
in either end to keeop draughts out, Staywell ones, and the lining
tubes you buy in sections, as many as you need from places like pets
at home. She got a builder friend to do it, took less than a day and
it is ok, you wouldn't knwo it was there.
cost depends on who youget to knock the hole in the wall i suppose

best of luck, bookie

sheelagh
April 27th 07, 06:04 PM
On 26 Apr, 15:00, chatnoir > wrote:
> [...]
>
> There are a few sites for cat friendly plants - Inside and outside!:
>
> http://paws-on-floors.co.uk/catplants.html
>
> http://www.burkardnurseries.com/pages/planting_tips/animal_friendly.htm
>
> http://www.geocities.com/catwhiskasplace/plants2.html
>
> http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants-non-toxic.html
>
> http://www.siliconhell.com/madcat/facts.htm#plants
>
> http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=9&S=2
>
> http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=14730&t=23213
>
> Well, I grow Grape Vines on My Cat Cage! I allow them to cover the
> top of the cage; but you can cut them down from there! When covering
> the cage, It does not help in removing the snow for the top and shades
> out most plants! Was surprised bristly greenbrier was listed as cat
> friendly! I grow it on my outside perimeter of my property to keep
> out unwanted guests!- Hide quoted text -

we have a problem with our link to the Internet, so if I suddenly
disappear it is for that reason why..damn it all- it is sooo annoying!

I can't thank you enough for all of the wonderful ideas. There are so
many here & every single one of them has it's merits & most of them
are absolutely inspired, truely!!
I think I will end up taking little bits of every ones idea's and
making the ultimate extension for our feline family. I have just had
one built for Paul because he can no longer walk upstairs. we got
planing permission for that with no trouble at all, but I am not sure
that I would get it for another extension. However, I can get around
that law by making it non permanent (as long as It doesn't have
footings, it could be construed/considered as no permanent.)
I will try asking the conventional way first, & failing that, I shall
make a non permanent one. The reaon we have to ask over here is in
case our neighbors might be offended or have a reason why they would
prefer that we do not build one- a chance to air their views. Given
that we already have cat pens && they don't mind them, I really don't
see a problem..
I really can't believe the wonderful idea's that you have all added
here. I expected a link or 3 to someone else's idea's..this just goes
to show me how much you all really do care about your furbies.
It is the ultimate outdoors indoors & much better than the fence I was
planing to add to our border fencing
Wonderful. & Thank you!!
S;o)

sheelagh
April 27th 07, 06:11 PM
On 27 Apr, 14:00, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
> huge graden around, although it could do with a few larger overhanging
> trees to provide more shade in summer. i love the waterfall feature
> inone with the pusscat drinking from it, great feature.
> with all the ropes and climbing things and high places to perch those
> cats must think they are in paradise
>
> BTW a friend of mine who has double glazed sliding patio doors to her
> back garden has had a hole knopcked through in the back wall of the
> house next to the doors and a tunnel lined and 2 normal cat flaps out
> in either end to keeop draughts out, Staywell ones, and the lining
> tubes you buy in sections, as many as you need from places like pets
> at home. She got a builder friend to do it, took less than a day and
> it is ok, you wouldn't knwo it was there.
> cost depends on who youget to knock the hole in the wall i suppose
>
> best of luck, bookie- Hide quoted text -

thanks mate. i might just have to do that, because I can''t think of a
way to get a hole throu7gh the double glazing without compromising the
warranty that comes with it. I only had it done about 6 months ago, so
I think it would be better to take a few bricks out the wall and
replace it with a thick wooden panel and on of those cat flaps @ the
better end of the market that you can lock sometimes if you wish to
(to keep them indoors, not out;o)
S;o)

sheelagh
April 27th 07, 06:12 PM
On 25 Apr, 15:14, "22brix" > wrote:
> [...]
> this, I want to go the whole hog and make it a sanctuary for humans
> and cats, both!! I worked out that the amount of money that it was
> going to cost me to surround the entire garden comes to around 850 -
> $1700. That is a hell of a lot of money for a bit of a fence, that
> may.. or may not work. I don't want to take my chances.
>
> With the same money, we could build a hell of a covered pergola & fill
> it with activities for them & a comfortable areafor us to enjoy too,
> as long as we do the project ourselves. With 2 strapping son's, I am
> certain that we could do this if we all pulled together..
> Lots oF photos and ideas/ & advice in general would be most
> appreciated indeed.
>
> Thank you all,
> Sheelagh;o)
>
> Hi Sheelagh,
>
> Here's a site that lists common plants poisonous to cats.

Thanks bonnie
S;o)

bookie
April 27th 07, 07:01 PM
On 27 Apr, 18:11, sheelagh > wrote:
> On 27 Apr, 14:00, bookie > wrote:

> > > Oh, when I wnet to build mine way back, I did a search and found some
> > > amazing enclosures that Individuals had built! Just a few out there!:
>
> > >http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures-2.htm
>
> > >http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm
>
> > >http://brushyland.com/cats/
>
> > >http://brushyland.com/cats/enclose.htm
>
> > > They are out there on the web! Just a bit hard to find with all the
> > > commercial sites that flood the web! I never had any problem with
> > > cats trying to dig out!- Hide quoted text -

> > they are awesome! i love the one with the white house in it and the
> > huge graden around, although it could do with a few larger overhanging
> > trees to provide more shade in summer. i love the waterfall feature
> > inone with the pusscat drinking from it, great feature.
> > with all the ropes and climbing things and high places to perch those
> > cats must think they are in paradise
>
> > BTW a friend of mine who has double glazed sliding patio doors to her
> > back garden has had a hole knopcked through in the back wall of the
> > house next to the doors and a tunnel lined and 2 normal cat flaps out
> > in either end to keeop draughts out, Staywell ones, and the lining
> > tubes you buy in sections, as many as you need from places like pets
> > at home. She got a builder friend to do it, took less than a day and
> > it is ok, you wouldn't knwo it was there.
> > cost depends on who youget to knock the hole in the wall i suppose
>
> > best of luck, bookie- Hide quoted text -

> thanks mate. i might just have to do that, because I can''t think of a
> way to get a hole throu7gh the double glazing without compromising the
> warranty that comes with it. I only had it done about 6 months ago, so
> I think it would be better to take a few bricks out the wall and
> replace it with a thick wooden panel and on of those cat flaps @ the
> better end of the market that you can lock sometimes if you wish to
> (to keep them indoors, not out;o)
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

nah, my friend just had a few bricks knocked through and the tunnel is
the same width as the cat flap, not big at all, i was sur[prised when
her enormously cuddly ginger boy got in and out through it in fact.
the tunnel linings are like flat plastic hoops and you just buy a
couple to line the tunnel with and then stick the 2 doors on either
end. At least i think she had a door on either end, she might have
just put one on the inside in fact (to stop kitties getting stuck
inside the tunnel perhaps?)

have a look at these onthe staywell site, it says that extra tunnel
extensions are available separately so other people must have to do it
too, either for extra thick outside doors or for exterior walls

bookie

chatnoir
April 27th 07, 08:37 PM
On Apr 27, 11:04 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> that I would get it for another extension. However, I can get around
> that law by making it non permanent (as long as It doesn't have
> footings, it could be construed/considered as no permanent.)
> I will try asking the conventional way first, & failing that, I shall
> make a non permanent one. The reaon we have to ask over here is in
> case our neighbors might be offended or have a reason why they would
> prefer that we do not build one- a chance to air their views. Given
> that we already have cat pens && they don't mind them, I really don't
> see a problem..
> I really can't believe the wonderful idea's that you have all added
> here. I expected a link or 3 to someone else's idea's..this just goes
> to show me how much you all really do care about your furbies.
> It is the ultimate outdoors indoors & much better than the fence I was

Well, there are a lot more excellent designs and ideas out there! I
am stuck on a 56 K Modem for a while and just can't get around the
internet like I use to! So, I don't think I even scratched the
surface on what is out there!