PDA

View Full Version : OT, Google better pull-up! will they crash?

Barry
April 26th 07, 01:17 PM
For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
into the mix.

As it stands right now.. if you post through google, it's going to be
days before you actually see the post...

I use several other services to get a post through... I'm waiting on
google to catch up.

However! Could this be the beginning of a long slow melt-down?

I have long since predicted that Google is going to crash (at some
point)
why? because they got to big to quick...

it's like putting too much air into a balloon... success must have a
place to go...

Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to
take each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are
making it to usenet, just not their own db.

George
April 26th 07, 01:50 PM
Barry wrote:
> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
> into the mix.
>
> As it stands right now.. if you post through google, it's going to be
> days before you actually see the post...
>
> I use several other services to get a post through... I'm waiting on
> google to catch up.
>
> However! Could this be the beginning of a long slow melt-down?
>
> I have long since predicted that Google is going to crash (at some
> point)
> why? because they got to big to quick...
>
> it's like putting too much air into a balloon... success must have a
> place to go...
>
> Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to
> take each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are
> making it to usenet, just not their own db.

Probably the best thing that could happen to newsgroups would be for
Google to go away since 99.9% of spam originates from Google.

BobF
April 26th 07, 03:10 PM
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:15:04 GMT, Glennbo wrote:

> In the killer robot
> George > grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>>> Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to
>>> take each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are
>>> making it to usenet, just not their own db.
>>>

>> Probably the best thing that could happen to newsgroups would be for
>> Google to go away since 99.9% of spam originates from Google.
>
> My advice would be to get a real newsreader and either use your ISP's
> feed, or a free server like aioe.cjb.net

we should also start using alternative search engines. i've been comparing
results between google and ask. ask works just as well so far.

ode de sweat
April 26th 07, 03:27 PM
"BobF" > wrote in message

> we should also start using alternative search engines. i've been
comparing
> results between google and ask. ask works just as well so far.

Google knows too much

Sue Morton
April 26th 07, 03:33 PM
Glennbo wrote:
> In the killer robot BobF
> > grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>>> My advice would be to get a real newsreader and either use your ISP's
>>> feed, or a free server like aioe.cjb.net
>> we should also start using alternative search engines. i've been
>> comparing results between google and ask. ask works just as well so
>> far.
>
> I always use Search.MSN as my first choice. With it's simple use of
> symbols like ""+- I can zero in on what I'm looking for real quick.

Why is everyone crossposting to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rec.food.cooking?

cybercat
April 26th 07, 04:09 PM
"jay" > wrote in message
> On 26 Apr 2007 05:17:24 -0700, Barry wrote:
>
>> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
>> into the mix.
>
> Just for starters google sucks. I think we should get the hell out of
> Iraq
> and invade GOOGLE before it is too late. They have ALL the weapons of
> mass
> destruction.
>
> lol...

haha!

cybercat
April 26th 07, 04:10 PM
"Sue Morton" > wrote in message
. net...
> Glennbo wrote:
>> In the killer robot BobF
>> > grabbed the controls of the spaceship
>> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>>> we should also start using alternative search engines. i've been
>>> comparing results between google and ask. ask works just as well so
>>> far.
>>
>> I always use Search.MSN as my first choice. With it's simple use of
>> symbols like ""+- I can zero in on what I'm looking for real quick.
>>

> Why is everyone crossposting to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> rec.food.cooking?

Because lots of people post through or search with Google?

There are actually times when cross posting is appropriate. If you would
rather not you have the option of removing groups from send line.

ode de sweat
April 26th 07, 04:19 PM
iiii think somebody needs a little hug

"Sue Morton" > wrote in message
. net...
> Glennbo wrote:
> > In the killer robot BobF
> > > grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> > cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> >> we should also start using alternative search engines. i've been
> >> comparing results between google and ask. ask works just as well so
> >> far.
> >
> > I always use Search.MSN as my first choice. With it's simple use of
> > symbols like ""+- I can zero in on what I'm looking for real quick.
> >

> Why is everyone crossposting to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> rec.food.cooking?

rosie
April 26th 07, 04:35 PM
On Apr 26, 7:17?am, Barry > wrote:
> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
> into the mix.
>
> As it stands right now.. if you post through google, it's going to be
> days before you actually see the post...
>
> I use several other services to get a post through... I'm waiting on
> google to catch up.
>
> However! Could this be the beginning of a long slow melt-down?
>
> I have long since predicted that Google is going to crash (at some
> point)
> why? because they got to big to quick...
>
> it's like putting too much air into a balloon... success must have a
> place to go...
>
> Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to
> take each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are
> making it to usenet, just not their own db.

Wondered what was going on with them, I am pretty disgusted with them
and am thinking of changing to a real news reader. I know this has
been addressed, but di not pay attention. Any ideas? \

Either free or pay, what ever is the best.
Thanks, Rosie

val189
April 26th 07, 04:46 PM
Barry wrote:
> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
> into the mix.

I've just noticed it in the last two days. Before that, speed of
lightning (welll, ALmost) posting.
Maybe the onslaught of spam has slowed things down?
I also notice sane posters leaving in droves and heading off to
moderated groups.

CatNipped
April 26th 07, 08:52 PM
"rosie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 26, 7:17?am, Barry > wrote:
>> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
>> into the mix.
>>
>> As it stands right now.. if you post through google, it's going to be
>> days before you actually see the post...
>>
>> I use several other services to get a post through... I'm waiting on
>> google to catch up.
>>
>> However! Could this be the beginning of a long slow melt-down?
>>
>> I have long since predicted that Google is going to crash (at some
>> point)
>> why? because they got to big to quick...
>>
>> it's like putting too much air into a balloon... success must have a
>> place to go...
>>
>> Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to
>> take each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are
>> making it to usenet, just not their own db.
>
> Wondered what was going on with them, I am pretty disgusted with them
> and am thinking of changing to a real news reader. I know this has
> been addressed, but di not pay attention. Any ideas? \
>
> Either free or pay, what ever is the best.
> Thanks, Rosie

I like individual.net - they are *VERY* responsive and easy to deal with.
However, they don't carry the binary groups so you'll have to download your
porn with another newsreader! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped
April 26th 07, 08:53 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "rosie" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Apr 26, 7:17?am, Barry > wrote:
>>> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
>>> into the mix.
>>>
>>> As it stands right now.. if you post through google, it's going to be
>>> days before you actually see the post...
>>>
>>> I use several other services to get a post through... I'm waiting on
>>> google to catch up.
>>>
>>> However! Could this be the beginning of a long slow melt-down?
>>>
>>> I have long since predicted that Google is going to crash (at some
>>> point)
>>> why? because they got to big to quick...
>>>
>>> it's like putting too much air into a balloon... success must have a
>>> place to go...
>>>
>>> Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to
>>> take each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are
>>> making it to usenet, just not their own db.
>>
>> Wondered what was going on with them, I am pretty disgusted with them
>> and am thinking of changing to a real news reader. I know this has
>> been addressed, but di not pay attention. Any ideas? \
>>
>> Either free or pay, what ever is the best.
>> Thanks, Rosie
>
> I like individual.net - they are *VERY* responsive and easy to deal with.
> However, they don't carry the binary groups so you'll have to download
> your porn with another newsreader! ;>
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

Oops, forgot to say that with that news provider I use Outlook Express (to
the horror of Bill Gates haters across the world!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

bookie
April 26th 07, 10:32 PM
On 26 Apr, 16:46, val189 > wrote:
> Barry wrote:
> > For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
> > into the mix.
>
> I've just noticed it in the last two days. Before that, speed of
> lightning (welll, ALmost) posting.
> Maybe the onslaught of spam has slowed things down?
> I also notice sane posters leaving in droves and heading off to
> moderated groups.

they couldn't stand the heat, that's why

Charlie Wilkes
April 26th 07, 11:04 PM
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:35:27 -0700, rosie wrote:

> On Apr 26, 7:17?am, Barry > wrote:
>> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
>> into the mix.
>>
>> As it stands right now.. if you post through google, it's going to be
>> days before you actually see the post...
>>
>> I use several other services to get a post through... I'm waiting on
>> google to catch up.
>>
>> However! Could this be the beginning of a long slow melt-down?
>>
>> I have long since predicted that Google is going to crash (at some
>> point)
>> why? because they got to big to quick...
>>
>> it's like putting too much air into a balloon... success must have a
>> place to go...
>>
>> Will they pull out of this one? To their credit, google is able to take
>> each post and propagate it to other usenet servers. So posts are making
>> it to usenet, just not their own db.
>
> Wondered what was going on with them, I am pretty disgusted with them
> and am thinking of changing to a real news reader. I know this has been
> addressed, but di not pay attention. Any ideas? \
>
> Either free or pay, what ever is the best.
> Thanks, Rosie

I am a partial to Easynews. Aside from providing an excellent service,
they are politically correct, hosting SourceForge open source downloads
etc.

Think Pol Pot for Microsoft, Idi Amin for Google, Mahatma Ghandi for
Easynews.

Charlie

sf
April 27th 07, 06:04 AM
On 26 Apr 2007 08:35:27 -0700, rosie > wrote:

>Wondered what was going on with them, I am pretty disgusted with them
>and am thinking of changing to a real news reader.

I hope you do! I am not fond of the Google interface.... especially
the newest version. If you use a PC, Agent used to be what I
recommended... but they have gotten too big for their britches too.

>I know this has
>been addressed, but di not pay attention. Any ideas? \

Nope. I use Agent 2.0 - which isn't found easily anymore.

--
See return address to reply by email

sf
April 27th 07, 06:07 AM
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:53:08 -0500, "CatNipped"
> wrote:

>"CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "rosie" > wrote in message

>>> Wondered what was going on with them, I am pretty disgusted with them
>>> and am thinking of changing to a real news reader. I know this has
>>> been addressed, but di not pay attention. Any ideas? \
>>>
>>> Either free or pay, what ever is the best.
>>> Thanks, Rosie
>>
>> I like individual.net - they are *VERY* responsive and easy to deal with.
>> However, they don't carry the binary groups so you'll have to download
>> your porn with another newsreader! ;>
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>
>Oops, forgot to say that with that news provider I use Outlook Express (to
>the horror of Bill Gates haters across the world!!).

Dear Cat....

FYI: Individual.net is your news provider, OE is your newsreader.

--
See return address to reply by email

sf
April 27th 07, 06:11 AM
On 26 Apr 2007 08:46:50 -0700, val189 > wrote:

>Barry wrote:
>> For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
>> into the mix.
>
>I've just noticed it in the last two days. Before that, speed of
>lightning (welll, ALmost) posting.
> Maybe the onslaught of spam has slowed things down?

How soon we forget. A year ago you had to wait over 8 hours on a
regular basis for a message that was posted via google or any other
source to appear there. It got fast, people got used to it and now
that they are having trouble (which I haven't noticed) people are
complaining. Grow up and get a real news reader.

> I also notice sane posters leaving in droves and heading off to
>moderated groups.

Moderated groups are for sissies.

--
See return address to reply by email

sf
April 27th 07, 07:13 AM
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:50:44 -0400, George >
wrote:

>Probably the best thing that could happen to newsgroups would be for
>Google to go away since 99.9% of spam originates from Google.

LOL! That's BS and you know it. I'm not a google groups fan either,
but get real.

--
See return address to reply by email

George
April 27th 07, 12:46 PM
sf wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:50:44 -0400, George >
> wrote:
>
>> Probably the best thing that could happen to newsgroups would be for
>> Google to go away since 99.9% of spam originates from Google.
>

> LOL! That's BS and you know it. I'm not a google groups fan either,
> but get real.

Just look at the headers on almost any Usenet spam and check where it
originates.

Then add in all of the additional "blogspot" spam. Google encourages
users of their "blogspot" to get click revenue.

sheelagh
April 30th 07, 03:57 PM
On 26 Apr, 22:32, bookie > wrote:
> On 26 Apr, 16:46, val189 > wrote:
>
> > Barry wrote:
> > > For about a week now, google is waaay behind on getting peoples posts
> > > into the mix.
>
> > I've just noticed it in the last two days. Before that, speed of
> > lightning (welll, ALmost) posting.
> > Maybe the onslaught of spam has slowed things down?
> > I also notice sane posters leaving in droves and heading off to
> > moderated groups.
>
> they couldn't stand the heat, that's why

I agree.....
S;o)