PDA

View Full Version : Blue Buffalo expands recall

Lynne
April 27th 07, 12:52 PM
http://www.itchmo.com/read/blue-buffalo-recalls-all-canned-dog-and-cat-
food-as-well-as-treats_20070427

"We at the Blue Buffalo Company have just learned that American Nutrition
Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all our cans and biscuits, has been
adding rice protein concentrate to our can formulas without our knowledge
and without our approval. This is product tampering, and it apparently
has been going on for some time. The can formulas that we developed, and
trusted them to produce, never contained any rice protein concentrate. It
appears that only an FDA investigation of ANI's rice protein concentrate
supplies forced them to reveal this product tampering to us."

As buglady pointed out on another group, what the hell kind of quality
control is that? Does this company really think "we didn't know" is an
excuse? What a bunch of utter crap.

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Sherry
April 28th 07, 01:27 AM
On Apr 27, 6:52 am, Lynne > wrote:
> http://www.itchmo.com/read/blue-buffalo-recalls-all-canned-dog-and-cat-
> food-as-well-as-treats_20070427
>
> "We at the Blue Buffalo Company have just learned that American Nutrition
> Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all our cans and biscuits, has been
> adding rice protein concentrate to our can formulas without our knowledge
> and without our approval. This is product tampering, and it apparently
> has been going on for some time. The can formulas that we developed, and
> trusted them to produce, never contained any rice protein concentrate. It
> appears that only an FDA investigation of ANI's rice protein concentrate
> supplies forced them to reveal this product tampering to us."
>
> As buglady pointed out on another group, what the hell kind of quality
> control is that? Does this company really think "we didn't know" is an
> excuse? What a bunch of utter crap.
>
> --
> Lynne

That's lame. REALLY lame. Wonder what *else* is going on with their
"superior nutrition" formula that
they just don't know about??
I'd really expect more than that from a product that makes the kinds
of claims they do about their food.
When we put enough trust in a company to lay the health of our
precious pets on that TRUST, they have
an OBLIGATION to "know" every aspect about their product. Raises
*serious* issues about their
quality control.
Sheesh. I may never believe any PR-crap from a pet food company again.

Sherry

Cat Protector
April 28th 07, 06:26 AM
To play the Devil's advocate here, have you ever had a service provided and
then claim you didn't know there was problems because you trusted the
company? Same thing can happen here. It's entirely plausible that Blue
Buffalo didn't know. When you hire a company to do a job you are putting
faith in the people that run it. ANI apparently was deliberately tampering
with another company's product. That's illegal and I think Blue has every
right to be ****ed. This is one time where they can very much claim they
didn't know. Also, at least Blue saw the problem, publically apologized to
their customers and is taking steps to choose a different manufacturer. Has
any of the companies that use Menu Foods stated they're leaving them?
Probably not.

Blue has fired ANI as a manufacturer and is now searching for another
manufacturer for their food. That's a very wise and smart thing to do. As a
customer of their products it was very hard to return the canned food I had
to the store today. My cats love it and now temporarily I have to find a
different canned food that is holistic and healthy. Of course, I might just
take time out to cook for the cats as well.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...

> http://www.itchmo.com/read/blue-buffalo-recalls-all-canned-dog-and-cat-
> food-as-well-as-treats_20070427
>
> "We at the Blue Buffalo Company have just learned that American Nutrition
> Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all our cans and biscuits, has been
> adding rice protein concentrate to our can formulas without our knowledge
> and without our approval. This is product tampering, and it apparently
> has been going on for some time. The can formulas that we developed, and
> trusted them to produce, never contained any rice protein concentrate. It
> appears that only an FDA investigation of ANI's rice protein concentrate
> supplies forced them to reveal this product tampering to us."
>
> As buglady pointed out on another group, what the hell kind of quality
> control is that? Does this company really think "we didn't know" is an
> excuse? What a bunch of utter crap.
>
> --
> Lynne
>

> "We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
> We are brave enough to bend to cry
> And sad enough to know
> We must laugh again"
>
> ~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Roby
April 28th 07, 12:53 PM
Sherry wrote:

> On Apr 27, 6:52 am, Lynne > wrote:
>> http://www.itchmo.com/read/blue-buffalo-recalls-all-canned-dog-and-cat-
>> food-as-well-as-treats_20070427
>>
>> "We at the Blue Buffalo Company have just learned that American Nutrition
>> Inc. (ANI), the manufacturer of all our cans and biscuits, has been
>> adding rice protein concentrate to our can formulas without our knowledge
>> and without our approval. This is product tampering, and it apparently
>> has been going on for some time. The can formulas that we developed, and
>> trusted them to produce, never contained any rice protein concentrate. It
>> appears that only an FDA investigation of ANI's rice protein concentrate
>> supplies forced them to reveal this product tampering to us."
>>
>> As buglady pointed out on another group, what the hell kind of quality
>> control is that? Does this company really think "we didn't know" is an
>> excuse? What a bunch of utter crap.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
> That's lame. REALLY lame. Wonder what *else* is going on with their
> "superior nutrition" formula that
> they just don't know about??
> I'd really expect more than that from a product that makes the kinds
> of claims they do about their food.
> When we put enough trust in a company to lay the health of our
> precious pets on that TRUST, they have
> an OBLIGATION to "know" every aspect about their product. Raises
> *serious* issues about their
> quality control.
> Sheesh. I may never believe any PR-crap from a pet food company again.
>
> Sherry
I wonder whether the smaller suppliers of pet food are just basement
offices that handle paperwork and cash flow between the actual
manufacturers and the distributors. ANI's website says they produce
290,000 TONS (!!) of pet food annually ... that's almost two million
pounds a day. Wow.