PDA

View Full Version : which pet food companies manufacture their foods themselves?

Rona Y.
April 29th 07, 01:14 AM
I've been reading a lot about the food recalls. My vet, without
naming names of companies, suggests not to buy brands of pet food
which are a) manufactured by large multi-product companies (why would
you buy pet food from a company that makes laundry detergent, she
says), or b) from companies which merely rebrand the food, while not
actually manufacturing it themselves. We should be buying foods which
the company manufactures itself, so it has full control over the
process.

I know a lot of companies which meet her "do not buy" criteria, but I
don't know of many which would fall under the "buy this" criteria.

So which companies manufacture their own foods? Hill's used to, do
they still? Royal Canin? I know they were affected by the recall,
but do they manufacture their own foods? How about Waltham?

I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
other foods, too.

Barry
April 29th 07, 03:28 AM
Rona Y. wote:

> I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
> know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
> foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
> feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
> other foods, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c

Rona Y.
April 29th 07, 07:23 AM
On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry > wrote:
> Rona Y. wote:
>
> > I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
> > know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
> > foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
> > feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
> > other foods, too.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c

Thanks, but unfortunately most of the links that are produced by that
search have nothing to do with the topic.

Of all those links, only one gave any pertinent information.
Apparently Bench&Field manufactures their own food, but from what I
can tell, it's only available in the US, and it's only available as a
dry food (not sure about that, but the guaranteed analysis max. for
moisture is only 10% --my cat *has* to have wet food to help prevent
crystals. Nonetheless, I will write to them to find out the dry
matter analysis or as fed analysis of their food. They only offer
guaranteed analysis on their website, which always makes me wary (plus
they have a lot of "healthful" crap listed as ingredients--last I
checked, my cat didn't like beets.

Barry
April 29th 07, 07:54 AM
On Apr 29, 2:23 am, "Rona Y." > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry > wrote:
>
> > Rona Y. wote:
>
> > > I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
> > > know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
> > > foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
> > > feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
> > > other foods, too.
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c
>
> Thanks, but unfortunately most of the links that are produced by that
> search have nothing to do with the topic.
>
> Of all those links, only one gave any pertinent information.
> Apparently Bench&Field manufactures their own food, but from what I
> can tell, it's only available in the US, and it's only available as a
> dry food (not sure about that, but the guaranteed analysis max. for
> moisture is only 10% --my cat *has* to have wet food to help prevent
> crystals. Nonetheless, I will write to them to find out the dry
> matter analysis or as fed analysis of their food. They only offer
> guaranteed analysis on their website, which always makes me wary (plus
> they have a lot of "healthful" crap listed as ingredients--last I
> checked, my cat didn't like beets.

bloe it outcha ass

Joe Canuck[_2_]
April 29th 07, 10:10 AM
Rona Y. wrote:
> On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry > wrote:
>> Rona Y. wote:
>>
>>> I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
>>> know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
>>> foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
>>> feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
>>> other foods, too.
>> http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c
>
> Thanks, but unfortunately most of the links that are produced by that
> search have nothing to do with the topic.
>
> Of all those links, only one gave any pertinent information.
> Apparently Bench&Field manufactures their own food, but from what I
> can tell, it's only available in the US, and it's only available as a
> dry food (not sure about that, but the guaranteed analysis max. for
> moisture is only 10% --my cat *has* to have wet food to help prevent
> crystals. Nonetheless, I will write to them to find out the dry
> matter analysis or as fed analysis of their food. They only offer
> guaranteed analysis on their website, which always makes me wary (plus
> they have a lot of "healthful" crap listed as ingredients--last I
> checked, my cat didn't like beets.

Modify the search parameters from what was provided in that link to
include quotes like this "cat food"

Leave the rest of the search string alone. That modification
significantly cuts down on the links you need to wade through.

The original search parameters will include anything that has EITHER the
words 'cat' and/or 'food', but not the phrase 'cat food'.

Phil P.
April 29th 07, 11:16 AM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've been reading a lot about the food recalls. My vet, without
> naming names of companies, suggests not to buy brands of pet food
> which are a) manufactured by large multi-product companies (why would
> you buy pet food from a company that makes laundry detergent, she
> says), or b) from companies which merely rebrand the food, while not
> actually manufacturing it themselves. We should be buying foods which
> the company manufactures itself, so it has full control over the
> process.
>
> I know a lot of companies which meet her "do not buy" criteria, but I
> don't know of many which would fall under the "buy this" criteria.
>
> So which companies manufacture their own foods? Hill's used to, do
> they still? Royal Canin? I know they were affected by the recall,
> but do they manufacture their own foods? How about Waltham?
>
> I feed my cat Hill's CD because she has problems with crystals. I
> know Hill's had one food affected by the recall, but all their other
> foods are so far safe from both the gluten and rice protein recall. I
> feel relatively safe so far, but I still worry, so am looking for
> other foods, too.

The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my ferals
is Purina.

I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they use
fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
"least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
varies with market prices.

Phil

Barry
April 29th 07, 12:04 PM
On Apr 29, 5:10 am, Joe Canuck > wrote:
> Rona Y. wrote:
> > On Apr 29, 11:28 am, Barry > wrote:
> >> Rona Y. wote:

> >>http://tinyurl.com/ywhb3c
>
> > Thanks, but unfortunately most of the links that are produced by that
> > search have nothing to do with the topic.
>
> > Of all those links, only one gave any pertinent information.
> > Apparently Bench&Field manufactures their own food, but from what I
> > can tell, it's only available in the US, and it's only available as a
> > dry food (not sure about that, but the guaranteed analysis max. for
> > moisture is only 10% --my cat *has* to have wet food to help prevent
> > crystals. Nonetheless, I will write to them to find out the dry
> > matter analysis or as fed analysis of their food. They only offer
> > guaranteed analysis on their website, which always makes me wary (plus
> > they have a lot of "healthful" crap listed as ingredients--last I
> > checked, my cat didn't like beets.
>
> Modify the search parameters from what was provided in that link to
> include quotes like this "cat food"
>
> Leave the rest of the search string alone. That modification
> significantly cuts down on the links you need to wade through.
>
> The original search parameters will include anything that has EITHER the
> words 'cat' and/or 'food', but not the phrase 'cat food'.

psss psss, you've got a pussy hair right there! between your teeth.
it LOOKS like a pussy hair anyway.

Rona Y.
April 29th 07, 12:21 PM
On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:

> The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my ferals
> is Purina.
>
> I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they use
> fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
> "least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
> varies with market prices.
>
> Phil-

What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
now? Not being combative, just wondering. I haven't read anything
recently, but I've not been looking, either...

Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour? Ones that would be
particularly good for cats with histories of struvite crystals?

Thanks!

Barry
April 29th 07, 04:16 PM
On Apr 29, 7:21 am, "Rona Y." > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>

> > The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my ferals
> > is Purina.
>
> > I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they use
> > fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
> > "least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
> > varies with market prices.
>
> > Phil-
>
> What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
> now? Not being combative, just wondering. I haven't read anything
> recently, but I've not been looking, either...
>
> Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
> particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour? Ones that would be
> particularly good for cats with histories of struvite crystals?
>
> Thanks!

he's not going to answer you because you was bitchy with me

Phil is my best friend AND neighbor.

cybercat
April 29th 07, 04:55 PM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
>>
>> The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my
>> ferals
>> is Purina.
>>
>> I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they
>> use
>> fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
>> "least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
>> varies with market prices.
>>
>> Phil-
>
> What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
> now? Not being combative, just wondering. I haven't read anything
> recently, but I've not been looking, either...

Um, the fact that the cheapest wheat gluten around, the tainted
Chinese wheat gluten? That was a dead giveaway.

Rona Y.
April 29th 07, 11:44 PM
On Apr 30, 12:55 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Um, the fact that the cheapest wheat gluten around, the tainted
> Chinese wheat gluten? That was a dead giveaway.

But that was only used in one food. It doesn't mean all Hill's foods
are manufactured the same way.

I just read on their website, though, that their Savoury Cuts foods
are made by Menu Foods. They don't contain wheat gluten, but still,
that strikes that particular food off my list. I'm not sure, but I
don't think the Savoury Cuts line is readily available in Canada, or
at least in my area, so I guess that doesn't really affect me.

Phil P.
April 30th 07, 02:39 AM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 30, 12:55 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> > Um, the fact that the cheapest wheat gluten around, the tainted
> > Chinese wheat gluten? That was a dead giveaway.
>
> But that was only used in one food. It doesn't mean all Hill's foods
> are manufactured the same way.

One food??? Four or 5 diets were recalled because they contained wheat
gluten from China- including adult, kitten and a *prescription* diet - m/d
dry. Isn't that enough?

> I just read on their website, though, that their Savory Cuts foods
> are made by Menu Foods. They don't contain wheat gluten,

They sure as hell do! I kept several cans of Savory Cuts Chicken in Gravy
and a few bags of Prescription Diet m/d- in case any of my cats became
symptomatic. Wheat gluten is listed in the ingredients lists of both diets.

Phil P.
April 30th 07, 02:40 AM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Apr 29, 7:16 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> >
> > The only cat food I feel safe feeding my cats, my shelter cats and my
ferals
> > is Purina.
> >
> > I don't trust Hill's anymore because that lied to me when they said they
use
> > fixed formulas to compound their diets. Its quite obvious now they use
> > "least cost formulation"- which means the quality of their ingredients
> > varies with market prices.
> >
> > Phil-
>
> What happened to make you think they're using "least cost formulation"
> now?

Now? I think they've been using least cost formulation right along. We're
just finding out about it now because of the recalls. If Hill's was
compounding
their diets according to fixed formulas, they wouldn't be using the cheapest
**** they could find. In order to offset the shipping costs-- from China--
the cost of the product has to be dirt cheap- actually cheaper than dirt.

Also, its now known that some- possibly many- of Hill's diets are made by
third party manufacturers who also buy the ingredients. In the case of Menu
Foods, the cheapest **** they could find. The formula may call for wheat
gluten- but it obviously doesn't state the quality or source.

> Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
> particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour?

All of them. Their ingredients are produced in the USA and purchased from
US suppliers.

Ones that would be
> particularly good for cats with histories of struvite crystals?

UR Urinary® St/Ox Feline Formula

Phil P.
April 30th 07, 02:44 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Um, the fact that the cheapest wheat gluten around, the tainted
> Chinese wheat gluten? That was a dead giveaway.

A lot of previously unknown information was uncovered because of this
fiasco.

Phil P.
April 30th 07, 02:45 AM
"Barry" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil is my best friend AND neighbor.

I'm not your friend and I'm not your neighbor. Don't be starting rumors
that you're my neighbor- I don't want my property value to plummet.

Do me a favor- keep my name out of your posts.

Barry
April 30th 07, 04:28 AM
On Apr 29, 9:45 pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > Phil is my best friend AND neighbor.
>
> I'm not your friend and I'm not your neighbor. Don't be starting rumors
> that you're my neighbor- I don't want my property value to plummet.
>
> Do me a favor- keep my name out of your posts.

lol

uh.. I'm going to be needing my weed eater back in the morning!
you did it to yourself

and NO you can't have your baking dish back.

cindys
April 30th 07, 05:46 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Rona Y." > wrote in message

snip

>> Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
>> particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour?
>
> All of them. Their ingredients are produced in the USA and purchased from
> US suppliers.
-----------
Hi, Phil! It's good to see you! Do you think it's safe for me to continue
feeding my cats the dry Purina OM (this is in addition to Wellness canned
food). It contains both wheat gluten and corn gluten. The veterinary tech
has assured me that the Purina Company has assured them that the food is
safe. Also, I don't know if you saw my question about the Lo-Salt. I have
been supplementing Alex with potassium (as you suggested - thank you), but
it's quite expensive - $27 per tube for the malt-flavored supplement. My
sister told me that her vet had told her to sprinkle Lo-Salt (which is a
potassium-based salt substitute) on her CRF kitty's food. I have it in my
head that I read somewhere (maybe here) that that was a bad idea. I see the
ingredient list includes tricalcium phosphate and monocalcium phosphate.
What is your opinion on this?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Phil P.
April 30th 07, 09:06 AM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Rona Y." > wrote in message
>
> snip
> >

> >> Why do you feel Purina is the most trustworthy company? Are there any
> >> particular Purina foods (wet) that you favour?
> >
> > All of them. Their ingredients are produced in the USA and purchased
from
> > US suppliers.
> -----------
> Hi, Phil! It's good to see you!

Hi Cindy,

Did you ever get the file I sent you a few weeks ago?

Do you think it's safe for me to continue
> feeding my cats the dry Purina OM (this is in addition to Wellness canned
> food).

Absatively! Although you'd probably get better results with DM. The CHO
content of OM is too high for smooth weight loss.

It contains both wheat gluten and corn gluten. The veterinary tech
> has assured me that the Purina Company has assured them that the food is
> safe. Also, I don't know if you saw my question about the Lo-Salt.

No, I haven't. Where is it?

I have
> been supplementing Alex with potassium (as you suggested - thank you), but
> it's quite expensive - $27 per tube for the malt-flavored supplement.

Are you buying it from your vet? If you live near a compounding pharmacy,
ask them how much they'd charge.

My
> sister told me that her vet had told her to sprinkle Lo-Salt (which is a
> potassium-based salt substitute) on her CRF kitty's food. I have it in my
> head that I read somewhere (maybe here) that that was a bad idea.

You're right.

I see the
> ingredient list includes tricalcium phosphate and monocalcium phosphate.
> What is your opinion on this?

Bad idea. You want to keep your CRF cat's phosphate intake as low as
possible.

> Thanks in advance.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Ain't this cute?

http://maxshouse.com/kittens/kitteninthecup.jpg

Phil

Rona Y.
May 3rd 07, 01:26 PM
On Apr 30, 10:40 am, "Phil P." > wrote:

> Also, its now known that some- possibly many- of Hill's diets are made by
> third party manufacturers who also buy the ingredients. In the case of Menu
> Foods, the cheapest **** they could find. The formula may call for wheat
> gluten- but it obviously doesn't state the quality or source.

I mentioned before (I think) that I e-mailed Hills asking about which
of their foods are outsourced and which are manufactured by them. I
received a reply, and they asked me to call them (next week, because
of the "increased volume" of calls. I guess they don't want to e-mail
the information (for fear it will be disseminated to the world??).
I'm in Japan, though, and don't want to pay for the long-distance, so
the call will have to wait until I'm in Canada for the summer.

> All of them. Their ingredients are produced in the USA and purchased from
> US suppliers.

Except Purina also makes two foods (dog foods) that were affected by
the recall. From their website:

"We want to take this opportunity to provide you with some valuable
information about the recent limited recall of two Purina products -
ALPO® brand Prime Cuts wet dog food and Mighty Dog® brand pouch-
packaged dog food - and the possible confusion surrounding wheat
gluten as a safe and good ingredient used in pet foods."

It looks like Purina is not immune to least-cost formulations if they
are also using wheat gluten in their foods, or outsourcing, since
Mighty Dog was part of the Menu Foods recall.

Seems to me that there aren't any pet food manufacturers out there
that can be trusted. So what do we do? Go with the "lesser of all
evils" (whichever pet food company that may be)? Start making our own
pet food?

> UR Urinary® St/Ox Feline Formula-

I'll call them to see if there's a vet in my area that carries it.
It's difficult to find Purina prescription products in Winnipeg, but I
might be able to ask my vet if she'll special order it.

Thanks for your help, Phil.

rona

Phil P.
May 4th 07, 09:39 AM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 30, 10:40 am, "Phil P." > wrote:

>It looks like Purina is not immune to least-cost formulations if they
>are also using wheat gluten in their foods,

Using wheat gluten, per se, in a diet has nothing to do with least-cost
formulations or fixed formulas. Wheat gluten is a common ingredient that's
used in both types of formulations.

>or outsourcing, since
>Mighty Dog was part of the Menu Foods recall.

Mighty Dog is a low-cost "grocery" brand- I wouldn't expect a manufascturer
to use fixed formulas for low-cost "grocery" brands. Diets that are
compounded by fixed formulas cost more because the quality and quantity of
ingredients don't change with market prices. That's the difference between
Fancy Feast and Friskies. However, even though Purina Cat Chow is a
low-cost grocery" brand, its still compounded from a fixed formula.

>Seems to me that there aren't any pet food manufacturers out there
>that can be trusted. So what do we do? Go with the "lesser of all
>evils" (whichever pet food company that may be)? Start making our own
>pet food?

I'd still stick with Purina. they have a proven track record for almost a
century.

> UR Urinary® St/Ox Feline Formula-

>I'll call them to see if there's a vet in my area that carries it.
>It's difficult to find Purina prescription products in Winnipeg, but I
>might be able to ask my vet if she'll special order it.

>Thanks for your help, Phil.

You're welcome.

Best of luck,

Phil