PDA

View Full Version : Water consumption: what's normal?

jmc
April 29th 07, 01:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her
first cystitis attack. From then on it was a battle to try to get her
to drink enough water. Three sources, water added to her food, etc.

Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
seeing her drink "normally"?

This pet food recall has me jumping at shadows... maybe. She's not and
hasn't been eating any of the *foods* on the recall list, but does eat
food from brands involved in the recall. It's either that, or starve,
as she's fussy and it's hard enough finding stuff she'll eat - and she
requires veterinary formula to keep the cystitis under control.

How much water should a 10# cat drink in a day?

jmc

Matthew
April 29th 07, 01:55 PM
Depending on if the furball is on wet or dry food. Most cats get their
water from the wet food. Spirit is a dry food eater he drinks way more than
the others

A sure sign of diabetes or definite a vet visit is over consumption of
water. I started seeing Rumble playing in the water more than usual. So I
took him in. It turned out to be diabetes which he is now under control
using Fancy feast diet

"jmc" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
> consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
> didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her first
> cystitis attack. From then on it was a battle to try to get her to drink
> enough water. Three sources, water added to her food, etc.
>
> Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
> sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
> seeing her drink "normally"?
>
> This pet food recall has me jumping at shadows... maybe. She's not and
> hasn't been eating any of the *foods* on the recall list, but does eat
> food from brands involved in the recall. It's either that, or starve, as
> she's fussy and it's hard enough finding stuff she'll eat - and she
> requires veterinary formula to keep the cystitis under control.
>
> How much water should a 10# cat drink in a day?
>
> jmc

MaryL
April 29th 07, 02:15 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
> consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
> didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her first
> cystitis attack. From then on it was a battle to try to get her to drink
> enough water. Three sources, water added to her food, etc.
>
> Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
> sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
> seeing her drink "normally"? I realize that you said Meep needs a
> veterinary formula to control cystitis, so I'm assuming that she may
> already be eating canned food.

MaryL

> jmc

Any change in water consumption should be seen as a signal for an immediate
visit to the vet. This can be an indicator of several diseases, such as
diabetes or kidney disease, so Meep should be evaluated ASAP.

Does Meep eat dry food? If so, please try to change exclusively to a
premium canned food. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes among
cats that eat dry food than canned food. I realize that you said Meep needs
a veterinary formula to control cystitis, so I assume she may already be
eating canned food. If not, please ask your vet about the same formula in
canned food. (That will also provide additional water.)

MaryL

Buddy's Mom
April 29th 07, 08:24 PM
Could also be hyperthyroid. Needs bloods tests.

On Apr 29, 9:15´┐Żam, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "jmc" > wrote in message

> > I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
> > consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
> > didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her first
> > cystitis attack. *From then on it was a battle to try to get her to drink
> > enough water. *Three sources, water added to her food, etc.
>
> > Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
> > sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
> > seeing her drink "normally"? *I realize that you said Meep needs a
> > veterinary formula to control cystitis, so I'm assuming that she may
> > already be eating canned food.
>
> MaryL
>

> > jmc
>
> Any change in water consumption should be seen as a signal for an immediate
> visit to the vet. *This can be an indicator of several diseases, such as
> diabetes or kidney disease, so Meep should be evaluated ASAP.
>
> Does Meep eat dry food? *If so, please try to change exclusively to a
> premium canned food. *There is a much higher incidence of diabetes among
> cats that eat dry food than canned food. *I realize that you said Meep needs
> a veterinary formula to control cystitis, so I assume she may already be
> eating canned food. *If not, please ask your vet about the same formula in
> canned food. *(That will also provide additional water.)
>
> MaryL

jmc
April 29th 07, 10:09 PM
Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (29-Apr-07 10:45 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
>> consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
>> didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her first
>> cystitis attack. From then on it was a battle to try to get her to drink
>> enough water. Three sources, water added to her food, etc.
>>
>> Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
>> sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
>> seeing her drink "normally"?
>

>> jmc
>
> Any change in water consumption should be seen as a signal for an immediate
> visit to the vet. This can be an indicator of several diseases, such as
> diabetes or kidney disease, so Meep should be evaluated ASAP.
>
> Does Meep eat dry food? If so, please try to change exclusively to a
> premium canned food. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes among
> cats that eat dry food than canned food. I realize that you said Meep needs
> a veterinary formula to control cystitis, so I assume she may already be
> eating canned food. If not, please ask your vet about the same formula in
> canned food. (That will also provide additional water.)
>
> MaryL

Can't. Tried. Multiple times. She won't eat most wet food (which,
considering the pet food recall, may be just as well!). She gets as
much wet as she'll eat, which is one small can per day. She won't touch
*any* of the veterinary wet formulas I've tried, so half her dry is vet
formula (I've spent hundreds of dollars trying food she won't touch). I
add a bit of extra water to the wet she does eat as well.

Problem is, I'm not 100% sure it's a change. It could just be a change
in where she drinks from - we just moved and it looks like she's
drinking from just one bowl now (and now she is, 'cause the Drinkwell
broke yesterday).

jmc

Phil P.
April 30th 07, 09:06 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
> consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
> didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her
> first cystitis attack. From then on it was a battle to try to get her
> to drink enough water. Three sources, water added to her food, etc.
>
> Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
> sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
> seeing her drink "normally"?
>
> This pet food recall has me jumping at shadows... maybe. She's not and
> hasn't been eating any of the *foods* on the recall list, but does eat
> food from brands involved in the recall. It's either that, or starve,
> as she's fussy and it's hard enough finding stuff she'll eat - and she
> requires veterinary formula to keep the cystitis under control.
>
> How much water should a 10# cat drink in a day?
>
> jmc

If your cat is neutered, her daily energy requirement is about 45 kcal/kg.
So, assuming she's healthy, her daily water requirement is about 45 ml/kg.
An easy guide is about an ounce per pound. When measuring her water intake,
don't forget to include the moisture in the food and about another 12 ml/100
kcal from oxidation of nutrients.

This is a little outdated- I haven't had time to update my site. But the
principal is the same.

"Daily water needs, in milliliters, often are "guesstimated" as equal to the
metabolizable energy requirement in kilocalories or approximately 60 ml/kg.
Once the diet is consumed, oxidation of nutrients produces an additional 10
to 13 grams of water for each 100 kcal of metabolizable energy. Thus a 4
kg cat consuming a 240 kcal canned diet containing 78% moisture will consume
237 ml or 98% of its daily water need directly from the diet. Thus the cat
needs to drink less than 1 oz. of additional water per day whereas a cat
consuming a 240 kcal dry diet needs to drink over 7 oz. of water per day.
This can be difficult because cats are not naturally big drinkers. Feeding
a canned diet containing 78% moisture virtually guarantees homeostatic
control of water balance in the cat. "

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Phil

jmc
April 30th 07, 10:10 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (30-Apr-07 5:36 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> I'm trying to figure out if I should be concerned about Meep's water
>> consumption... for most of her life, she's not drank much, though we
>> didn't really think much of it (or think it wasn't enough) until her
>> first cystitis attack. From then on it was a battle to try to get her
>> to drink enough water. Three sources, water added to her food, etc.
>>
>> Well, now it seems to me that she may be drinking too much, but I'm not
>> sure if it's "too much" or just a normal amount, and I'm not used to
>> seeing her drink "normally"?
>>
>> This pet food recall has me jumping at shadows... maybe. She's not and
>> hasn't been eating any of the *foods* on the recall list, but does eat
>> food from brands involved in the recall. It's either that, or starve,
>> as she's fussy and it's hard enough finding stuff she'll eat - and she
>> requires veterinary formula to keep the cystitis under control.
>>
>> How much water should a 10# cat drink in a day?
>>
>> jmc
>
> If your cat is neutered, her daily energy requirement is about 45 kcal/kg.
> So, assuming she's healthy, her daily water requirement is about 45 ml/kg.
> An easy guide is about an ounce per pound. When measuring her water intake,
> don't forget to include the moisture in the food and about another 12 ml/100
> kcal from oxidation of nutrients.
>
> This is a little outdated- I haven't had time to update my site. But the
> principal is the same.
>
> "Daily water needs, in milliliters, often are "guesstimated" as equal to the
> metabolizable energy requirement in kilocalories or approximately 60 ml/kg.
> Once the diet is consumed, oxidation of nutrients produces an additional 10
> to 13 grams of water for each 100 kcal of metabolizable energy. Thus a 4
> kg cat consuming a 240 kcal canned diet containing 78% moisture will consume
> 237 ml or 98% of its daily water need directly from the diet. Thus the cat
> needs to drink less than 1 oz. of additional water per day whereas a cat
> consuming a 240 kcal dry diet needs to drink over 7 oz. of water per day.
> This can be difficult because cats are not naturally big drinkers. Feeding
> a canned diet containing 78% moisture virtually guarantees homeostatic
> control of water balance in the cat. "
>
> http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
>

> Phil

Phil:

Always a font of information, thanks! I think she's OK then. She eats
about 2/3 of her diet dry, one small can of wet per day (that's all I
can talk her into) with 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of added water. In the last
20 hours, she drank about 5 oz of water... and she's a 10# cat.

If I've got this right, she's drinking just enough, or slightly less,
than optimum according to your formula.

jmc

Meghan Noecker
April 30th 07, 12:47 PM
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 06:39:35 +0930, jmc
> wrote:

>Problem is, I'm not 100% sure it's a change. It could just be a change
>in where she drinks from - we just moved and it looks like she's
>drinking from just one bowl now (and now she is, 'cause the Drinkwell
>broke yesterday).

How is the kitty litter box?

When Kira started drinking more, I also found a lot more urine in the
box.