PDA

View Full Version : Cat bites

Zippy
April 29th 07, 02:29 PM
Our 1-year male, neutered cat chews wood & cardboard. As we walk
through the house, he tries to get our attention by biting at our
ankles. His form of playing is to nibble & if he's angry he'll bite
then run.

cybercat
April 29th 07, 05:18 PM
"Zippy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Our 1-year male, neutered cat chews wood & cardboard. As we walk
> through the house, he tries to get our attention by biting at our
> ankles. His form of playing is to nibble & if he's angry he'll bite
> then run.

It would be wise to discourage this.

oldhickory
April 29th 07, 11:05 PM
spray bottle

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Zippy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Our 1-year male, neutered cat chews wood & cardboard. As we walk
>> through the house, he tries to get our attention by biting at our
>> ankles. His form of playing is to nibble & if he's angry he'll bite
>> then run.
>>

> It would be wise to discourage this.

cybercat
April 29th 07, 11:21 PM
"oldhickory" > wrote in message
> spray bottle

I think a loud NO and the cessation of playing is better.

James
April 30th 07, 12:11 AM
On Apr 29, 6:21 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "oldhickory" > wrote in message

> > spray bottle
>
> I think a loud NO and the cessation of playing is better.

My pussy bites but not hard. When she was young and biting hard, I
took her tail and closed her jaw on it. I also did it with her front
paws. She learned that bites can hurt so she now love-bites softly.

Wendy
April 30th 07, 11:18 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "oldhickory" > wrote in message
>> spray bottle
>>

> I think a loud NO and the cessation of playing is better.

Maybe a high pitched 'ouch' (sort of like the sound a littermate would make
if they were displeased) and then the loud 'no'. If kitty persists then a
time out in the bathroom for 5 minutes or so. Consistency is the key though.
Kitty can't be let get away with it or the biting will continue.

Rene S.
April 30th 07, 09:43 PM
On Apr 29, 8:29 am, Zippy > wrote:
> Our 1-year male, neutered cat chews wood & cardboard. As we walk
> through the house, he tries to get our attention by biting at our
> ankles. His form of playing is to nibble & if he's angry he'll bite
> then run.

How much are you playing with him? It sounds like he has a *lot* of
pent-up energy. I would do the "ow" or "no" like Wendy suggested, or
have some cat toys in your pocket. When he looks like he's "in the
mood" to bite your ankles, throw the toy. He'll go after the toy and
not your feet.