PDA

View Full Version : Pet Food Recall: PURINA UR (MAYBE)

W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com
April 29th 07, 03:34 PM
Hi,

Regarding the pet food recall and "what has yet to be officially announced".

I'm concerned.

Our cat, 13 yrs. old, his nose is starting to turn black on the skin. A
cold? He exclusively eats Purina UR wet and dry.
Earlier last week, he well, it was hacking but not tossing up a hairball.
It's not easy to describe, I recognize it like a very dry smokers hack - of
course he don't smoke.
Sometimes, with my arm around him, well, what I think, he feels, or is it
what I imagine, see in my mind, he feels.
But once in awhile, when I've got nothing in this head of mine going on and
my arm is around him, he twitches and or jerks.
Okay, so whilst reading a newsgroup (Usenet) nearly 10 minutes ago, someone
reminded me of how cats get effected by trauma.
No, Oscar has not been beaten, abused ya know but, well the writer was
referring to Virginia Tech April 16, 2007. "Dude: My cats know about it."
So (thanks author :-))
I grabbed me a can of Purina UR.

Brewers Rice
Menadione
F-4555

Brewers Rice: Rice has been known to be ah, comprimsed - but nothing about
Purina UR -yet.
What is F-4555 ?
(*I've already been to http://www.purina.com, maybe they are that smart to
leave ingrediant content off the web BUT, it's all printed on the can.)

Menadione:
Interesting!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menadione
Think: Has the pet food recall effected MAN (and women) yet?
Menadione is a polycyclic aromatic ketone, based on 1,4-naphthoquinone, with
a 2-methyl substituent.

It was formerly sometimes called vitamin K3, although derivatives of
naphthoquinone without the sidechain in the 3-position cannot exert all the
functions of the K vitamins. Menadione is a vitamin precursor of K2 which
utilizes alkylation in the liver to yield menaquinones (MK-n, n=1-13; K2
vitamers), and hence, is better classified as a provitamin.

Despite the fact that it can serve as a precursor to various types of
vitamin K, menadione is generally not used as a nutritional supplement.
Large doses of menadione have been reported to cause adverse outcomes
including hemolytic anemia due to G6PD deficiency, neonatal brain or liver
damage, or neonatal death in some cases. Moreover, menadione supplements
have been banned by the FDA because of their high toxicity. Menadione has
been used experimentally as a chemotherapic agent for cancer, ca 1945, but
has lost ground to much safer, human form, vitamin K2 vitamers. Low level
menadione is still used as an inexpensive micronutrient for livestock in
many countries.

Lately, menadione has been mentioned again as a treatment for cancer in
conjunction with vitamin C (See "The end of cancer" by April Kirkendoll) but
modern researchers and trials are investigating nontoxic K2 vitamers such as
menaquinone-4[1] in conjunction with more comprehensive regimens.

HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolytic_anemia

Hemolytic anemia is anemia due to hemolysis, the abnormal breakdown of red
blood cells either in the blood vessels (intravascular hemolysis) or
elsewhere in the body (extravascular). It has numerous possible causes,
ranging from relatively harmless to life-threatening. The general
classification of hemolytic anemia is either acquired or inherited.
Treatment depends on the cause and nature of the breakdown.

Classification of hemolytic anaemias

Causes of haemolytic anaemis can be either genetic or acquired.

[edit] Genetic
a.. Genetic conditions of RBC membrane
a.. Hereditary spherocytosis
b.. Hereditary elliptocytosis
b.. Genetic conditions of RBC metabolism (enzyme defects)
a.. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD or favism)
b.. Pyruvate kinase deficiency
c.. Genetic conditions of haemoglobin
a.. Sickle cell anaemia
b.. Thalassaemia
Non-immune mediated haemolytic anaemia (direct Coombs test is negative)

a.. Membrane disorders
a.. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (rare acquired clonal disorder of
red blood cell surface proteins)
b.. Liver disease
Methyldopa or alpha-methyldopa (brand names Aldomet«, Apo-Methyldopa«,
Dopamet«, Novomedopa«) is a centrally-acting adrenergic antihypertensive
medication. Its use is now deprecated following introduction of alternative
safer classes of agents. However it continues to have a role in otherwise
difficult to treat hypertension and pregnancy-induced hypertension.

So, consider pregnancy as an analogy here please. The contanimant going
around has spawned!

Any concerns, yea-we've got 'em.

Already called the vet too.

William

--
"Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else."
William K. Mahler, http://www.mahlers.com

cybercat
April 29th 07, 05:16 PM
"W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the pet food recall and "what has yet to be officially
> announced".

Why not buy food that has no wheat or rice in it at all?

blkcatgal
April 29th 07, 08:10 PM
Because pet food manufacturers are adding rice protein concentrate without
telling the pet food companies. This is true of the recent recalls that
resulted from American Nutrition adding RCP to various foods without telling
the pet food companies. You can't be sure what you are getting and you
can't rely on the ingredients label anymore.

S.

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Hi,
>>
>> Regarding the pet food recall and "what has yet to be officially
>> announced".
>>

> Why not buy food that has no wheat or rice in it at all?

cybercat
April 29th 07, 10:12 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Because pet food manufacturers are adding rice protein concentrate without
> telling the pet food companies. This is true of the recent recalls that
> resulted from American Nutrition adding RCP to various foods without
> telling the pet food companies. You can't be sure what you are getting
> and you can't rely on the ingredients label anymore.
>
> S.

Sue, I think you're painting with too broad a brush. I don't believe the
whole
industry is mislabeling. I don't believe every manufacturer adds ingredients
without telling the companies.

And I do think that when there has proven to be a problem with wheat
and rice, if you avoid food that says "wheat" and "rice" on the label, you
have a better chance of getting food without wheat or rice.

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com" > wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Regarding the pet food recall and "what has yet to be officially
>>> announced".
>>>

>> Why not buy food that has no wheat or rice in it at all?

April 29th 07, 10:13 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Because pet food manufacturers are adding rice protein concentrate without
> telling the pet food companies. This is true of the recent recalls that
> resulted from American Nutrition adding RCP to various foods without
> telling the pet food companies. You can't be sure what you are getting
> and you can't rely on the ingredients label anymore.
>
> S.

It still makes sense to me to use food in which the lable does not say
wheat or rice. There should at least be a higher chance that you will
not get wheat or rice in this food. And although some pet food
makers are not responsible with labeling, others certainly are.

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com" > wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Regarding the pet food recall and "what has yet to be officially
>>> announced".
>>>

>> Why not buy food that has no wheat or rice in it at all?

April 29th 07, 10:14 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

Hmm, I got the message the first one did not go through ...

blkcatgal
April 29th 07, 11:26 PM
Well, I agree that your best bet is to try and buy foods that don't have
grains. But I have to tell you, that I was greatly surprised and
disappointed when I found out that the pet food company added rice protein
to the food that I was feeding my cat and it was not disclosed in the
ingredients. And the rice protein was tainted with melamine. I was
lucky....the bag of food I had was purchased before the company decided to
change the formula. I try to feed my cats grain free foods, especially my
one guy that has food allergies.

S.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Because pet food manufacturers are adding rice protein concentrate
>> without
>> telling the pet food companies. This is true of the recent recalls that
>> resulted from American Nutrition adding RCP to various foods without
>> telling the pet food companies. You can't be sure what you are getting
>> and you can't rely on the ingredients label anymore.
>>
>> S.
>>

> Sue, I think you're painting with too broad a brush. I don't believe the
> whole
> industry is mislabeling. I don't believe every manufacturer adds
> ingredients
> without telling the companies.
>
> And I do think that when there has proven to be a problem with wheat
> and rice, if you avoid food that says "wheat" and "rice" on the label, you
> have a better chance of getting food without wheat or rice.
>

>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.com" > wrote in
>>> message news:[email protected]

>>> Why not buy food that has no wheat or rice in it at all?

April 30th 07, 12:09 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, I agree that your best bet is to try and buy foods that don't have
> grains. But I have to tell you, that I was greatly surprised and
> disappointed when I found out that the pet food company added rice protein
> to the food that I was feeding my cat and it was not disclosed in the
> ingredients. And the rice protein was tainted with melamine. I was
> lucky....the bag of food I had was purchased before the company decided to
> change the formula. I try to feed my cats grain free foods, especially my
> one guy that has food allergies.

Understood. We are trusting these people we don't know with the lives
of our pets, and we really have no choice in the matter. It's tough.

Joe Canuck[_2_]
April 30th 07, 01:14 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Well, I agree that your best bet is to try and buy foods that don't have
>> grains. But I have to tell you, that I was greatly surprised and
>> disappointed when I found out that the pet food company added rice protein
>> to the food that I was feeding my cat and it was not disclosed in the
>> ingredients. And the rice protein was tainted with melamine. I was
>> lucky....the bag of food I had was purchased before the company decided to
>> change the formula. I try to feed my cats grain free foods, especially my
>> one guy that has food allergies.
>>

> Understood. We are trusting these people we don't know with the lives
> of our pets, and we really have no choice in the matter. It's tough.

Take the food into a local lab for analysis.

Ken Knecht
April 30th 07, 06:11 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Well, I agree that your best bet is to try and buy foods that don't
>> have grains. But I have to tell you, that I was greatly surprised
>> and disappointed when I found out that the pet food company added
>> rice protein to the food that I was feeding my cat and it was not
>> disclosed in the ingredients. And the rice protein was tainted with
>> melamine. I was lucky....the bag of food I had was purchased before
>> the company decided to change the formula. I try to feed my cats
>> grain free foods, especially my one guy that has food allergies.
>>

> Understood. We are trusting these people we don't know with the lives
> of our pets, and we really have no choice in the matter. It's tough.

Sure we have a choice. Make your own cat food. I just got a book and am
researching the process. After purchasing the required vitamins, minerals
and other additives it doesn't look that difficult. I'll soon find out.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

cybercat
April 30th 07, 06:33 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote

> Sure we have a choice. Make your own cat food. I just got a book and am
> researching the process. After purchasing the required vitamins, minerals
> and other additives it doesn't look that difficult. I'll soon find out.

I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
at all.

Sherry
April 30th 07, 10:30 PM
On Apr 30, 12:33 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Ken Knecht" > wrote
>

> > Sure we have a choice. Make your own cat food. I just got a book and am
> > researching the process. After purchasing the required vitamins, minerals
> > and other additives it doesn't look that difficult. I'll soon find out.
>
> I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
> companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
> at all.

We're on Purina too; but it has been sheer luck. That just happened to
be
what they like. Purina Pro Plan & FF. I used to actually feel guilty
because
I wasn't feeding Hills, or Nutro, Wellness, Innova...all the higher-
priced
"premium" foods...but the cats won't eat them.
I also kind of like supporting Purina because they have a mill here,
and
donate a *lot* of food to the shelter, simply because it's 6 months
until
the expire date. A whole ton of Pro Plan once.
Betrayed? I feel betrayed and I didn't even buy any of those foods. I
feel
betrayed because I want the *best* for the cats and I don't pinch
pennies
when it comes to cat food. I am perfectly willing to pay a premium
price for a premium food. Then those *damn* companies, with all their
PR bull**** that says "only the best..blah blah blah).. they *claim*
to be
premium...and sure as hell do charge a premium price....then THEY
endanger,
and even kill, people's beloved pets JUST TO SAVE A BUCK!!
HYPOCRISY!! Fraud. And they're all big fat liars, I don't care what
anyone
says. They *knew* that China has no regulations, zero safeguards in
place
to protect the purity of pet food ingredients. And they put the
*lives* of millions
of pets on the line based on what? Trust??? Give me a break.
Agghhh. I'm starting to foam at the mouth again so I'll shut up now.

Sherry

cindys
May 2nd 07, 02:13 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> We're on Purina too; but it has been sheer luck. That just happened to
> be
> what they like. Purina Pro Plan & FF. I used to actually feel guilty
> because
> I wasn't feeding Hills, or Nutro, Wellness, Innova...all the higher-
> priced
> "premium" foods...but the cats won't eat them.
----------
Not intended as a criticism of FF (my cats eat both FF and Wellness), but
just so you know: Wellness is approximately the same price as FF. FF is 48
cents for a 3 oz can in my local supermarket, and I buy Wellness from
Petfooddirect for a little less than a dollar for a 5.5 oz can (with a good
coupon). Pet Promise (another new premium brand) costs 99 cents for a 5.5
ounce can. The new premium FF varieties cost 75 cents for a 3 ounce can
(without a coupon), so that's actually more expensive than Wellness and Pet
Promise.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Meghan Noecker
May 2nd 07, 02:52 AM
On Tue, 1 May 2007 21:13:02 -0400, "cindys" >
wrote:

>----------
>Not intended as a criticism of FF (my cats eat both FF and Wellness), but
>just so you know: Wellness is approximately the same price as FF. FF is 48
>cents for a 3 oz can in my local supermarket, and I buy Wellness from
>Petfooddirect for a little less than a dollar for a 5.5 oz can (with a good
>coupon). Pet Promise (another new premium brand) costs 99 cents for a 5.5
>ounce can. The new premium FF varieties cost 75 cents for a 3 ounce can
>(without a coupon), so that's actually more expensive than Wellness and Pet
>Promise.
>Best regards,
>---Cindy S.

Do they make a 3 oz can? I have not found any of the premium food
brands to make a 3 oz can. I have two cats, who share two 3 oz cans
per day, and they don't finish either one. And they won't eat it if
chilled and served again (cold, heated, set out for awhile).

I would be willing to try other foods, but it doesn't make sense to
but it in larger cans and throw more than half of it away.

I did try a free sample of one type of food, and Jay Jay looked rather
insulted. He didn't even try to sniff it, just pulled his head back
and stood there stiffly for a minute and then left. I had to call him
back and show him a can of fancy feast to get him to come back.

Meghan Noecker
May 2nd 07, 05:07 AM
On 2 May 2007 02:53:56 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On Tue 01 May 2007 09:52:49p, Meghan Noecker wrote in
>rec.pets.cats.health+behav

>> Do they make a 3 oz can? I have not found any of the premium
>> food brands to make a 3 oz can. I have two cats, who share two 3
>> oz cans per day, and they don't finish either one. And they
>> won't eat it if chilled and served again (cold, heated, set out
>> for awhile).
>
>Wellness, FF (original) and the new FF all have 3 oz cans. I buy
>those, too, for the same reasons you do. They eat canned much more
>consistently if I put out a "buffet". Ok, are they spoiled? Some
>say yes. I just say "well fed". :) They eat the canned, but
>wouldn't if they all had to split a bigger can among them. None of
>them but Bonnie will eat cold leftovers, so since she's the only
>one who eats Wellness, gets 1/2 of a 3oz can each dinner. For
>breakfast she won't touch canned. Tried it over and over and fed
>the food to the disposal. She gets the other half of the can from
>the day before the next day. Eats most of it.

Thanks. I will give Wellness a try. Do they sell it at stores like
Petco and Petsmart, or is it only at specialty stores?

Jay Jay is picky, so he'll be the one to please. He loves two flavors
of Fancy Feast, but ONLY 2 flavors. Anything else, and I get that sad
look from him as he decides he gets no special dinner. (He always has
kibble available).

For 2 years, I couldn't even get him to eat canned food. Then he would
accoasionally come check out a plate. And then he started showing up
to clean up after the others. And eventually, he was sitting there
waiting for me to open it.

I am pleased to know that the 2 flavors he does like do not have any
grain products in them.

Cheryl
May 8th 07, 12:13 AM
On Wed 02 May 2007 12:07:55a, Meghan Noecker wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Thanks. I will give Wellness a try. Do they sell it at stores
> like Petco and Petsmart, or is it only at specialty stores?
>
> Jay Jay is picky, so he'll be the one to please. He loves two
> flavors of Fancy Feast, but ONLY 2 flavors. Anything else, and I
> get that sad look from him as he decides he gets no special
> dinner. (He always has kibble available).
>
> For 2 years, I couldn't even get him to eat canned food. Then he
> would accoasionally come check out a plate. And then he started
> showing up to clean up after the others. And eventually, he was
> sitting there waiting for me to open it.
>
> I am pleased to know that the 2 flavors he does like do not have
> any grain products in them.

Sorry Meghan, just seeing this. Here, Wellness isn't available in
Petsmart or Petco. I buy it at a store called "Crunchies" that only
sells premium pet foods. You can also get it online as I've seen a
lot of people mention here.

I'm glad Jay Jay got with the program and is enjoying his gooshy
food. I wish Bonnie and Rhett would learn that! I put out gooshy
food for 4 every day but their bowls are either ignored and eaten
by Shamrock and Scarlett or left to throw out.

--
Cheryl

Rona Y.
May 8th 07, 02:11 AM
On May 1, 2:33 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
> companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
> at all.

Actually, two Purina dog foods *were* affected by the recall (Alpo and
Mighty Dog--both are Purina foods).

I don't think there is a single large pet food company that wasn't
affected by the recall.

rona

cybercat
May 8th 07, 02:18 AM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 1, 2:33 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet
>> food
>> companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their
>> food
>> at all.
>
> Actually, two Purina dog foods *were* affected by the recall (Alpo and
> Mighty Dog--both are Purina foods).
>
> I don't think there is a single large pet food company that wasn't
> affected by the recall.

I was talking about cat food. I had not noticed the crossposting.

Sorry for making it seem like there might be a company we can trust. What I
meant was, "PANIC! NO FOOD IS SAFE! OUR FOOD IS PROBABLY NEXT! AS A MATTER
OF FACT, THAT BURGER YOU HAD FOR LUNCH IS PROBABLY CONTAMINATED!!!

Sherry
May 8th 07, 05:29 AM
On May 1, 8:13?pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > We're on Purina too; but it has been sheer luck. That just happened to
> > be
> > what they like. Purina Pro Plan & FF. I used to actually feel guilty
> > because
> > I wasn't feeding Hills, or Nutro, Wellness, Innova...all the higher-
> > priced
> > "premium" foods...but the cats won't eat them.
>
> ----------
> Not intended as a criticism of FF (my cats eat both FF and Wellness), but
> just so you know: Wellness is approximately the same price as FF. FF is 48
> cents for a 3 oz can in my local supermarket, and I buy Wellness from
> Petfooddirect for a little less than a dollar for a 5.5 oz can (with a good
> coupon). Pet Promise (another new premium brand) costs 99 cents for a 5.5
> ounce can. The new premium FF varieties cost 75 cents for a 3 ounce can
> (without a coupon), so that's actually more expensive than Wellness and Pet
> Promise.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

You know, I've heard nothing but praise from a lot of people re:
Wellness. So I ordered
a case of it on petfooddirect.com. The little dooky-heads wouldn't
touch it. I think
it was the texture they didn't like. I usually pay about 42 cents for
FF with the Petperks card
at Petsmart. They don't like the premium FF, either.
It's not a price issue. I'd be perfectly willing to buy Wellness. But
it was a no-go. I ended up
giving the last few cans away, and the majority of the rest went down
the disposal. Everybody
else's cats like it. I don't know what their problem was.

Sherry

Sherry
May 8th 07, 05:32 AM
On May 1, 8:52?pm, Meghan Noecker > wrote:
snipped
> I did try a free sample of one type of food, and Jay Jay looked rather
> insulted. He didn't even try to sniff it, just pulled his head back
> and stood there stiffly for a minute and then left. I had to call him
> back and show him a can of fancy feast to get him to come back.

Ha ha!! I know that look. That forlorn, reproachful look.. The one
that says, "Ok. You
don't love me anymore. I'll never, ever ever get to eat Fancy Feast
again. This is slop and
you expect me to eat it."

Sherry

Rona Y.
May 8th 07, 12:08 PM
On May 8, 10:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I was talking about cat food. I had not noticed the crossposting.

I was talking about pet food, in general. I hadn't noticed the cross-
posting, either, but I felt it was important to point out that almost
no large pet food company is free of problems in this matter. Purina
might not have problems with their cat food, but they still had
problems with some of their food. Because of that, they aren't any
more trustworthy than Hill's in this matter (who also had two foods
recalled--the savoury cuts line and m/d).

> Sorry for making it seem like there might be a company we can trust. What I
> meant was, "PANIC! NO FOOD IS SAFE! OUR FOOD IS PROBABLY NEXT! AS A MATTER
> OF FACT, THAT BURGER YOU HAD FOR LUNCH IS PROBABLY CONTAMINATED!!!

What I assume is sarcasm aside, people are already panicking. In
fact, people seem to be panicking more about this than they are about
any of the contaminated food (spinach, ground beef, lettuce) that
killed humans, and those things were actually grown/raised in the US.
To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.

And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
100% trusted. That's just a fact. I'm not panicking over it, nor am
I getting paranoid. I just accept it, and then make any purchasing
decisions based on the information I have on hand, and based on the
least of all evils.

rona

Sherry
May 8th 07, 03:23 PM
On May 8, 6:08´┐Żam, "Rona Y." > wrote:
> On May 8, 10:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > I was talking about cat food. I had not noticed the crossposting.
>
> I was talking about pet food, in general. *I hadn't noticed the cross-
> posting, either, but I felt it was important to point out that almost
> no large pet food company is free of problems in this matter. *Purina
> might not have problems with their cat food, but they still had
> problems with some of their food. *Because of that, they aren't any
> more trustworthy than Hill's in this matter (who also had two foods
> recalled--the savoury cuts line and m/d).
>
> > Sorry for making it seem like there might be a company we can trust. What I
> > meant was, "PANIC! NO FOOD IS SAFE! OUR FOOD IS PROBABLY NEXT! AS A MATTER
> > OF FACT, THAT BURGER YOU HAD FOR LUNCH IS PROBABLY CONTAMINATED!!!
>
> What I assume is sarcasm aside, people are already panicking. *In
> fact, people seem to be panicking more about this than they are about
> any of the contaminated food (spinach, ground beef, lettuce) that
> killed humans, and those things were actually grown/raised in the US.
> To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.
>
> And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
> 100% trusted. *That's just a fact. *I'm not panicking over it, nor am
> I getting paranoid. *I just accept it, and then make any purchasing
> decisions based on the information I have on hand, and based on the
> least of all evils.
>
> rona

The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
folks, who seem
all that concerned. Some people have seen the signs on the store
shelves, but
don't really even know much about the recall at all. It's been on the
news,
but not anything like the coverage given to the peanut butter thing.
They're very blase about
it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
actually seen too
little concern about it.

Sherry

sighthounds & siberians
May 8th 07, 04:07 PM
On Tue, 08 May 2007 09:36:46 -0500, diddy >
wrote:

>in thread ps.com: Sherry
> whittled the following words:
>
>> They're very blase about
>> it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
>> Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
>> something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
>> actually seen too
>> little concern about it.
>>

>Why would they be concerned about it. If they were Feeding Science Diet
>Dry, they WERE ok.
> There were no recalls on Science Diet dry "DOG" foods, and only one recall
>on Science diet dry prescription cat food.

Which is even worse. You pay top dollar for a 'prescription' food
that is supposed to help a medical condition, and it could kill your
cat.

Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

Mustang Sally

Tara
May 8th 07, 04:48 PM
sighthounds & siberians > wrote in
:

> Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
> culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

I couldn't agree more.

Tara

sighthounds & siberians
May 8th 07, 05:14 PM
On Tue, 08 May 2007 10:51:41 -0500, diddy >
wrote:

>in thread 4.196: Tara
> whittled the following words:
>
>> sighthounds & siberians > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
>>> culpability lives in a different reality than I do.
>>>

>> I couldn't agree more.
>>
>> Tara
>>

>I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product not
>on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it

Except that some people, myself included, do not want to buy food from
any of the companies whose products were recalled.

Mustang Sally

Shelly
May 8th 07, 05:22 PM
diddy wrote:

> I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product not
> on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it

You have *got* to be joking.

--
Shelly

Tara
May 8th 07, 05:30 PM
diddy > wrote in
:

> in thread . net:
> Shelly > whittled the following words:
>
>> diddy wrote:
>>
>>> I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a
>>> product not on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep
>>> over it
>>
>> You have *got* to be joking.
>>

> Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over
> possibilities. I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land

Its not "paranoia land" to be furious with a company for being more
concerned with cheap ingredients than the health of my pets.

I'm not going to reward them with my money any more than I would walk into
a pet shop that sells puppymill pups and become a regular customer of
theirs.

That's not paranoia, that's letting them know I don't support that
practice.

Big difference. Huge.

Tara

Shelly
May 8th 07, 05:31 PM
diddy wrote:

> Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over possibilities.

I'm not worried to death. But I am neither stupid nor naive enough
to think that because a food has not (yet!) been recalled, it is
safe. There are thousands of dead and dying pets who were fed food
that was not (yet!) recalled.

> I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land

There is paranoia, and then there is sticking your head in the sand.
Somewhere between the two is the land where reasonable people dwell.

--
Shelly

May 8th 07, 05:33 PM
"diddy" > wrote in message
> in thread ps.com: Sherry
> > whittled the following words:
>
>> They're very blase about
>> it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
>> Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
>> something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
>> actually seen too
>> little concern about it.
>>

> Why would they be concerned about it. If they were Feeding Science Diet
> Dry, they WERE ok.
> There were no recalls on Science Diet dry "DOG" foods, and only one recall
> on Science diet dry prescription cat food.

The point is, because the recall started out small and keeps expanding, and
includes so-called "premium" brands that people pay extra for, as well as
"store" brands, we are supposed to believe that NO pet food is safe.

It is horse ****.

May 8th 07, 05:34 PM
"Sherry" > wrote

>The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
>folks, who seem all that concerned.

And are their pets sick or dying?

May 8th 07, 05:38 PM
"Sherry" > wrote
> You know, I've heard nothing but praise from a lot of people re:
> Wellness. So I ordered
> a case of it on petfooddirect.com. The little dooky-heads wouldn't
> touch it.

I felt guilty at one point, for feeding FF, so I went to Petsmart and
bought a variety, so they could try them. (Both Gracie and Boo had
been on Iams at the shelter, and Gracie came in with such severe
allergies and asthma I had to change just in case it was her food.
Boo had gotten obese on Iams dry. So Iams was out.)

They liked maybe one flavor of Maxcat and that was it. My
cats have plebian tastes--and Cindy's point is well taken, FF
is expensive.

sighthounds & siberians
May 8th 07, 05:41 PM
On Tue, 08 May 2007 11:19:47 -0500, diddy >
wrote:

>in thread : sighthounds &
>siberians > whittled the following words:
>
>> On Tue, 08 May 2007 10:51:41 -0500, diddy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>in thread 4.196:
>>>Tara > whittled the following words:

>>>I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product
>>>not on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it
>>
>> Except that some people, myself included, do not want to buy food from
>> any of the companies whose products were recalled.
>>
>> Mustang Sally
>>

>You sell food, so I'm not concerned with your bias

And you've never seen me hawking it here. I don't actually sell it
personally, the rescue group I run does, and all the profits go to the
rescue. The rescue group is an independent, incorporated, 501 (c) (3)
entity, in which I have no financial interest. It wouldn't surprise
me if the difference eluded you. In any case, if I didn't feed my
dogs Canidae, I wouldn't feed them Science Diet, or Nutro, or any of
the other brands involved in the recall. I have previously
recommended Nutro products to adopters; I will not do so anymore.

Mustang Sally

Sherry
May 8th 07, 05:43 PM
On May 8, 11:34?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>
> >The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
> >folks, who seem all that concerned.
>
> And are their pets sick or dying?

No--but I hope it doesn't take dead cats for people to at least show
enough concern
to take 5 minutes and regularly do a search for newly recalled food.

What I meant was, it's like the very first recall list came out, it
caused a little stir
and that was it. It seems like so many people I talk to don't even
realize the
original recall list was expanded to include so many products.

I'm not freaking out -- but I think due vigilence is in order. It's
not that hard to stay'
current on the recall info.

Sherry

Sherry

cybercat
May 8th 07, 05:49 PM
"Rona Y." > wrote

> What I assume is sarcasm aside, people are already panicking. In
> fact, people seem to be panicking more about this than they are about
> any of the contaminated food (spinach, ground beef, lettuce) that
> killed humans, and those things were actually grown/raised in the US.
> To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.

So now you're panicking about the panic?

> And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
> 100% trusted. That's just a fact.

Right. And the chances that there are NO pet food companies who
are not using tainted ingredients is really unlikely.

People create drama. Some people love to panic.

My heart goes out to those who have had animals get sick from
the tainted food, but FFS, tearing our hair out over the notion that
"no pet food company can be trusted" is stupid and counterproductive.
And when someone says, "I have been using such and such a brand and
my cats are fine," what is the function of commenting, as you did, that
theoretically no pet food company can be trusted?

It has one function. To create panic, upset, worry, etc., where there is
no rational reason for it.

My life is full enough of drama, I don't need to "borrow trouble," as my
mother used to say. People get sick and die, animals get sick and die,
all kinds of things happen, whether or not I climb the walls about the
possibility of them happening beforehand.

If Gracie and/or Boo sicken and die, I will be sure to post about it.

And that's the end of my crossposting.

May 8th 07, 05:54 PM
"sighthounds & siberians" > wrote

> Anyone who says the companies whose products were recalled have no
> culpability lives in a different reality than I do.

Of course they are to blame, who else could be?

May 8th 07, 05:58 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
. net...
> diddy wrote:
>
>> I agree too. That wasn't the issue. If a person was feeding a product not
>> on a recall list, they need not sweat blood losing sleep over it
>
> You have *got* to be joking.

I think the same thing, and I am not joking.

What is the point of working yourself into a lather, Shelly?

Purina is an old company, it uses American-made ingredients, I have fed it
for a long time and my cats are fine. Why do I need to worry?

Because "you can't trust anything THEY say! They all lie!"

Pffft. We use our best judgment and let the chips fall where they may.

We are exhibiting a lot of trust when we buy anything from the grocery for
outselves.

Don't you have something better to do than climb the walls over the notion
that NO PET FOOD IS SAFE!!!!??

I certainly do.

Sherry
May 8th 07, 05:59 PM
On May 8, 11:38?am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>
> > You know, I've heard nothing but praise from a lot of people re:
> > Wellness. So I ordered
> > a case of it on petfooddirect.com. The little dooky-heads wouldn't
> > touch it.
>
> I felt guilty at one point, for feeding FF, so I went to Petsmart and
> bought a variety, so they could try them. (Both Gracie and Boo had
> been on Iams at the shelter, and Gracie came in with such severe
> allergies and asthma I had to change just in case it was her food.
> Boo had gotten obese on Iams dry. So Iams was out.)
>
> They liked maybe one flavor of Maxcat and that was it. My
> cats have plebian tastes--and Cindy's point is well taken, FF
> is expensive.
>
> --
Actually, FF is way cheaper than Wellness. Even with the discount at
PFD,
a case of 3 oz cans of Wellness is around $28 including shipping.
A case of FF at Petsmart is $10.08, plus sales tax.
Less than half the price. I don't buy the new premium FF--I'm talking
about the regular ones.

Wellness is probably still the better food, and I'd buy it if they'd
eat it
regardless of the price.
But who really knows.

Sherry

Suja
May 8th 07, 06:03 PM
"diddy" > wrote in message:

> Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over possibilities.
> I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land

It's not paranoia to refuse to support the business practices of companies
that led to the deaths of people's pets. Even if one's own pets are not
affected.

As this recall keeps expanding in volume, it's hardly paranoia to view
suspiciously, the claims by dog food manufactureres that 'only this was
affected, and not that' and that nothing was commingled, although the foods
were all manufactured in the same facilities, and they can't guarantee that
there was no cross contamination.

I am considering switching the dogs' food from a manufacturer not involved
in the recall to date, because 1) they ignored my requests for information
and gave me the run around and 2) their food is manufactured by someone who
is involved in the recall. It's not like they're doing me a favor by having
me pay for their product. If I am not satisfied in their product or
business practices, I am at liberty to vote with my wallet.

Suja

cybercat
May 8th 07, 06:06 PM
"Sherry" > wrote
> Actually, FF is way cheaper than Wellness.

I have never been attracted to Wellness, as the hype is
so thick. Blueberries, etc. People saying that it looks so good
they even found it appetizing. Wellness is selling food to people
that looks good to people, that I know for sure.

My cat's find dried throw-up and mouse guts appetizing and
wash their butts with their tongues a few times a day.

They turn down leftovers from seafood restaurants, and
bits of steak and chicken that I have cooked.

I just can't see assuming their tastes are similar to mine.

May 8th 07, 06:08 PM
"Sherry" > wrote

> I'm not freaking out -- but I think due vigilence is in order. It's
> not that hard to stay'
> current on the recall info.

That's an understatement.

Melinda Shore
May 8th 07, 06:19 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:
>It is horse ****.

It would be, if that were what people are saying. But
they're not.

It seems to me that the question here is how to deal with
imperfect information. (Choosing not to buy from a company
whose products were affected because you don't like their
manufacturing processes [or anything else about them]
doesn't fall into that category.) Given just how broad this
recall was and given how many feeds across the quality
spectrum were affected, a default posture of suspicion seems
pretty reasonable to me.

Melinda Shore
May 8th 07, 06:21 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:
>My life is full enough of drama, I don't need to "borrow trouble," as my
>mother used to say.

You're rather deeply involved in this discussion for someone
who claims to want to avoid drama.

Shelly
May 8th 07, 06:23 PM
cybercat wrote:

> What is the point of working yourself into a lather, Shelly?

To repeat: There is paranoia, and then there is sticking your head
in the sand. Somewhere between the two is the land where reasonable
people dwell.

> Purina is an old company, it uses American-made ingredients, I have fed it
> for a long time and my cats are fine. Why do I need to worry?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because some of their foods have been
recalled?

> Pffft. We use our best judgment and let the chips fall where they may.

Of course. But me using my best judgment to decide that it is not
in my pets' best interest to eat a certain food is not "worrying
myself to death."

> Don't you have something better to do than climb the walls over the notion
> that NO PET FOOD IS SAFE!!!!??

Funnily enough, I've said no such thing. Nor am I climbing the
walls. Lordy!

--
Shelly

Sherry
May 8th 07, 07:14 PM
On May 8, 12:06?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>
> > Actually, FF is way cheaper than Wellness.
>
> I have never been attracted to Wellness, as the hype is
> so thick. Blueberries, etc. People saying that it looks so good
> they even found it appetizing. Wellness is selling food to people
> that looks good to people, that I know for sure.

Ooo. The kind I bought didn't look good. It just looked like a can-
shaped
blob of light brown mush. No texture at all. I still think that's why
the cats didn't like it. Remember we have Boots, the 6 pound Prima
Donna. She's
really the reason I (used to) experiment with new brands/varieties.
Mostly
looking for something she will actually eat in some quantity.

I'd love for people to think I research ingredients tirelessly and do
background
checks on pet food companies in order to only buy the absolute best,
healthiest
food available at any price. But the butt-honest truth is, my criteria
in the
pet food aisle is What Bootsie Likes.

A shameless plug for Purina: She *loves* the new "Pro Plan Selects"
line. Both dry & canned.

Sherry

> My cat's find dried throw-up and mouse guts appetizing and
> wash their butts with their tongues a few times a day.
>
> They turn down leftovers from seafood restaurants, and
> bits of steak and chicken that I have cooked.
>
> I just can't see assuming their tastes are similar to mine.

Tara
May 8th 07, 07:32 PM
(Melinda Shore) wrote in news:f1qbi8$hqd$1
@panix2.panix.com:

> In article >,
> cybercat > wrote:
>>My life is full enough of drama, I don't need to "borrow trouble," as my
>>mother used to say.
>
> You're rather deeply involved in this discussion for someone
> who claims to want to avoid drama.

For the cat group, "drama" is a relative term.

Tara

Tara
May 8th 07, 07:37 PM
diddy > wrote in news:[email protected]
216.196.97.142:

> in thread : "Suja"
> > whittled the following words:
>
>> "diddy" > wrote in message:
>>
>>> Nope, Why should I be? You can worry yourself to death over
>>> possibilities. I'm not going to spent my lifetime in paranoia land
>>
>> It's not paranoia to refuse to support the business practices of
>> companies that led to the deaths of people's pets. Even if one's own
>> pets are not affected.
>>
>> As this recall keeps expanding in volume, it's hardly paranoia to
view
>> suspiciously, the claims by dog food manufactureres that 'only this
>> was affected, and not that' and that nothing was commingled, although
>> the foods were all manufactured in the same facilities, and they
can't
>> guarantee that there was no cross contamination.
>>
>> I am considering switching the dogs' food from a manufacturer not
>> involved in the recall to date, because 1) they ignored my requests
>> for information and gave me the run around and 2) their food is
>> manufactured by someone who is involved in the recall. It's not like
>> they're doing me a favor by having me pay for their product. If I am
>> not satisfied in their product or business practices, I am at liberty
>> to vote with my wallet.
>>
>> Suja
>>

> It's a free country. I've never opposed your right to vote with your
> wallet. Just don't expect everyone to have your sentiments

The interesting thing here, is no one was insulting the midset that you
have, yet you insulted those of us that are avoiding those companies
whose practices led to these deaths.

Who, exactly, is expecting what sentiments? This thread certainly seems
to show that most of the insults are being flung at people who are
trying to be careful.

Those of you that are happy with your foods, have at it. But don't
expect anyone else to share your sentiments either....and that *does*
actually include not denigrating how other people treat this topic in
their personal lives.

Tara

Melinda Shore
May 8th 07, 07:42 PM
In article >,
Tara > wrote:
>For the cat group, "drama" is a relative term.

I guess we ought to thank them for the history lesson. This
has been a handy demonstration of how it is that the cats
newsgroups became the birthplace of Usenet trolling.

May 8th 07, 08:06 PM
"Melinda Shore" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> cybercat > wrote:
>>My life is full enough of drama, I don't need to "borrow trouble," as my
>>mother used to say.
>
> You're rather deeply involved in this discussion for someone
> who claims to want to avoid drama.

All I said was, "I'm feeding Purina and nobody has gotten sick."
One of you alarmist assholes then felt the need to sound the alarm
that OH MY GOD NO FOOD IS SAFE.

It's annoying.

cybercat
May 8th 07, 08:06 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> What is the point of working yourself into a lather, Shelly?
>
> To repeat: There is paranoia, and then there is sticking your head in the
> sand. Somewhere between the two is the land where reasonable people
> dwell.
>
>> Purina is an old company, it uses American-made ingredients, I have fed
>> it for a long time and my cats are fine. Why do I need to worry?
>
> Oh, I don't know, maybe because some of their foods have been recalled?

Which ones? Shall we remove the "maybe" from this thread?

cybercat
May 8th 07, 08:08 PM
"Sherry" > wrote

> A shameless plug for Purina: She *loves* the new "Pro Plan Selects"
> line. Both dry & canned.

I haven't seen these, I'll have to look for them.

cybercat
May 8th 07, 08:11 PM
"diddy" > wrote in message
> in thread 4.196: Tara
> > whittled the following words:
>
>> Who, exactly, is expecting what sentiments? This thread certainly seems
>> to show that most of the insults are being flung at people who are
>> trying to be careful.
>
> You think I'm insulting because I have the opion that a certain subset of
> people here are drama queens and historically hysterical?
> That's an OPINION. I have a right to it. If you are opposed to me having
> that opinion you have a right to say so. Lets agree to disagree. KAY?

She might have been talking to me. Who cares?

Shelly
May 8th 07, 08:21 PM
diddy wrote:

> And you, of course prefer to live in hysterialand

Pretty funny, considering that I got snarked at in *health for,
well, I'm not sure. Not being hysterical enough, perhaps? Anyway,
I think it's kind of ignorant to assume that any given food is safe,
just because it has not been recalled. Or do you think that those
*hundreds* of recalled foods magically turned into poison overnight?
You do realize that every single one of them was considered *safe*
just the day before it was recalled?

--
Shelly

Shelly
May 8th 07, 08:22 PM
cybercat wrote:

> It's annoying.

So annoying, that you thought you'd defensively attack folks who had
never addressed you? You must be *awfully* irritable.

--
Shelly

bethgsd
May 8th 07, 08:23 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> What is the point of working yourself into a lather, Shelly?
>
> To repeat: There is paranoia, and then there is sticking your head in the
> sand. Somewhere between the two is the land where reasonable people
> dwell.
>
>> Purina is an old company, it uses American-made ingredients, I have fed
>> it for a long time and my cats are fine. Why do I need to worry?
>
> Oh, I don't know, maybe because some of their foods have been recalled?
>
>> Pffft. We use our best judgment and let the chips fall where they may.
>
> Of course. But me using my best judgment to decide that it is not in my
> pets' best interest to eat a certain food is not "worrying myself to
> death."
>
>> Don't you have something better to do than climb the walls over the
>> notion that NO PET FOOD IS SAFE!!!!??
>
> Funnily enough, I've said no such thing. Nor am I climbing the walls.
> Lordy!
>
> --
> Shelly
> http://www.cat-sidh.net (the Mother Ship)
> http://esther.cat-sidh.net (Letters to Esther)

I've been reading a lot on the recalled foods and how others are dealing
with the problem, etc. I've found Shelly's way of handling it quite
sensible. And I'm blaming her for the little bag of Evo I purchased
yesterday. The boys think it is crack! I can use it for training, which
was my purpose in buying it anyway. I certainly can't afford to feed 3 GSDs
it on my budget.

That being said, I'm now feeding each dog a different food because Trip
needs diet food, Wojo is eating FRR Fish and Chips and Star is on Proplan.
Each is eating what they do best on and I'm watching the recall lists.

Beth

bethgsd
May 8th 07, 08:25 PM
"diddy" > wrote in message
> in thread : Shelly
> > whittled the following words:
>

>> To repeat: There is paranoia, and then there is sticking your head
>> in the sand. Somewhere between the two is the land where reasonable
>> people dwell.
>>

> And you, of course prefer to live in hysterialand

FOOD FIGHT!!

I couldn't help it.

Beth

Shelly
May 8th 07, 08:30 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Which ones? Shall we remove the "maybe" from this thread?

To be clear, the "maybe" did not refer to whether or not Nestle
Purina foods had been recalled, but to whether or not that would be
a reason to steer clear of the company's foods, period. Obviously,
you are welcome to feed your animals any sort of food you choose.
*I* wouldn't touch Purina foods with a barge pole.

Anyway...

http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/2007/MightyDog.aspx

Perhaps you are confused about which newsgroups you are posting to?
Because implying--in a dog newsgroup!--that Purina foods are
peachy-keen is, well, kinda dumb.

--
Shelly

Melinda Shore
May 8th 07, 08:30 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:
>All I said was, "I'm feeding Purina and nobody has gotten sick."
>One of you alarmist assholes then felt the need to sound the alarm
>that OH MY GOD NO FOOD IS SAFE.

Why do you keep saying that someone said that? Do you
really not understand the difference between "I don't know
if this food is safe" and "No food is safe"?

Shelly
May 8th 07, 08:35 PM
bethgsd wrote:

> I've been reading a lot on the recalled foods and how others are dealing
> with the problem, etc. I've found Shelly's way of handling it quite
> sensible.

Thank you. I am trying, though it is not easy, and I have certainly
had my moments.

> And I'm blaming her for the little bag of Evo I purchased
> yesterday. The boys think it is crack!

Ha! But, do they *sing* to it?

> I can use it for training, which
> was my purpose in buying it anyway. I certainly can't afford to feed 3 GSDs
> it on my budget.

I nearly choked on my tongue when I saw the price, and I just have
*one* dog to feed.

> That being said, I'm now feeding each dog a different food because Trip
> needs diet food, Wojo is eating FRR Fish and Chips and Star is on Proplan.
> Each is eating what they do best on and I'm watching the recall lists.

That's pretty much what I'm doing, since for both the cat and dog it
was a matter of going back to manufacturers I've been happy with in
the past.

--
Shelly

May 8th 07, 08:56 PM
"bethgsd" > wrote

> FOOD FIGHT!!
>
> I couldn't help it.

That was pretty funny. :)

cybercat
May 8th 07, 08:58 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Which ones? Shall we remove the "maybe" from this thread?
>
> To be clear, the "maybe" did not refer to whether or not Nestle Purina
> foods had been recalled, but to whether or not that would be a reason to
> steer clear of the company's foods, period. Obviously, you are welcome to
> feed your animals any sort of food you choose. *I* wouldn't touch Purina
> foods with a barge pole.
>
> Anyway...
>
> http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/2007/MightyDog.aspx

So a single dog food has been recalled.

> Perhaps you are confused about which newsgroups you are posting to?
> Because implying--in a dog newsgroup!--that Purina foods are peachy-keen
> is, well, kinda dumb.

I'm in the cat group, you ignorant ****.

Now stop crossposting, why don't you? Have yourself a great time
with all the other Panic Stricken Women in the dog group.

Asshole dog people.

heh

cybercat
May 8th 07, 08:59 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> bethgsd wrote:
>
>> I've been reading a lot on the recalled foods and how others are dealing
>> with the problem, etc. I've found Shelly's way of handling it quite
>> sensible.
>
> Thank you. I am trying, though it is not easy, and I have certainly had
> my moments.
>
>> And I'm blaming her for the little bag of Evo I purchased yesterday. The
>> boys think it is crack!
>
> Ha! But, do they *sing* to it?
>
>> I can use it for training, which was my purpose in buying it anyway. I
>> certainly can't afford to feed 3 GSDs it on my budget.
>
> I nearly choked on my tongue when I saw the price, and I just have *one*
> dog to feed.
>
>> That being said, I'm now feeding each dog a different food because Trip
>> needs diet food, Wojo is eating FRR Fish and Chips and Star is on
>> Proplan. Each is eating what they do best on and I'm watching the recall
>> lists.
>
> That's pretty much what I'm doing, since for both the cat and dog it was a
> matter of going back to manufacturers I've been happy with in the past.
>
> --
Both of you should just **** on off out of both groups and get a ROOM.

Shelly
May 8th 07, 09:04 PM
cybercat wrote:

>> http://www.purina.com/Company/Press/2007/MightyDog.aspx
>
> So a single dog food has been recalled.

Two foods from one company.

> I'm in the cat group, you ignorant ****.

No kidding. Seriously, it was *abundantly* clear.

> Now stop crossposting, why don't you? Have yourself a great time
> with all the other Panic Stricken Women in the dog group.
>
> Asshole dog people.

You have been xposting to rpd.behavior (*behavior, I say!)--on the
subject of recalled pet food--for, let's see, over a week now, and
*I* am a the panic stricken asshole? How, exactly, does that work?

--
Shelly

Tara
May 8th 07, 09:31 PM
diddy > wrote in
:

> in thread 4.196:
> Tara > whittled the following words:
>
>> Who, exactly, is expecting what sentiments? This thread certainly
>> seems to show that most of the insults are being flung at people who
>> are trying to be careful.
>
> You think I'm insulting because I have the opion that a certain subset
> of people here are drama queens and historically hysterical?

Um, no. I think you're insulting because you opened up by insulting a
certain mindset without even bothering to find out what it was based on.

Again.

> That's an OPINION. I have a right to it.

Sure you do. You even have a right to be an abusive bitch to anyone who
doesn't think the way you do (and you do it so very well, I might add).

But that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

> If you are opposed to me
> having that opinion you have a right to say so. Lets agree to
> disagree. KAY?

That's always been a given.

But when you insult a viewpoint simply because it doesn't mesh with your
own,. I also have the right to point that out.

Deal with it.

Tara

Tara
May 8th 07, 09:36 PM
diddy > wrote in
:

> Not likely. This is an old traditional game of darts. You are just
> caught up in the fluff.
> it's just a game.

The only one who holds dear to old "games" here is you, diddy.

I'm not part of a group, or "friends" with anyone here. That fantasy is
yours and yours alone.

> No worries. And I don't care.

The fact that you obsessively point out some conspiracy of "others" that
are out to disagree with you at any turn (evidence to the contrary goes
unnoticed, of course) shows that you might just care after all.

> They are always taking hits to score points. I wasn't aware there was
> a points tally though until the gun thread.

Oh please. You've been obsessed with "points scored" for over 5 years
now.

>I wasn't keeping score,
> and I don't trust their honesty as score keepers. So who cares? I
> don't. It's just a game.

Um, no.

Its called discussion.

If you could ever once see that without wearing your paranoid colored
glasses, you might figure that out.

And I'd like to point out that the only one in this thread that was
trying to "score points" was you by trying to use past behavior to
dismiss or insult other people.

Tara

Tara
May 8th 07, 09:39 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> "Melinda Shore" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> cybercat > wrote:
>>>My life is full enough of drama, I don't need to "borrow trouble," as my
>>>mother used to say.
>>
>> You're rather deeply involved in this discussion for someone
>> who claims to want to avoid drama.
>
> All I said was, "I'm feeding Purina and nobody has gotten sick."
> One of you alarmist assholes then felt the need to sound the alarm
> that OH MY GOD NO FOOD IS SAFE.
>
> It's annoying.

You also said you were going to stop crossposting....what?.....several
hours ago.

Tara

Tara
May 8th 07, 09:46 PM
diddy > wrote in news:[email protected]
216.196.97.142:

> in thread 4.196: Tara
> > whittled the following words:
>
>> They are always taking hits to score points. I wasn't aware there was
>>> a points tally though until the gun thread.
>>
>> Oh please. You've been obsessed with "points scored" for over 5 years
>> now.
>>

> That would be you. I never mentioned points, but you have

Um, you mentioned it in the post I responded to.

And the gun thread wasn't about "adding up points" you dolt.

It was about one or two posters using devastating tragedy to score points
for a political side.

If you choose to count yourself among them, then go ahead.

The kind of points *you* obsessively tally and keeping track of are another
kind altogether and bear no resemblance whatsoever to that sort of
discussion. And you never even have to officially keep score in order to be
keeping track. You have lumped people in the "for me or against me" camps
for well over half a decade here. To pretend otherwise is foolish and
simply out of touch.

Tara

cybercat
May 8th 07, 09:54 PM
"Tara" > wrote in message
4.196...
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>

>> "Melinda Shore" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> You're rather deeply involved in this discussion for someone
>>> who claims to want to avoid drama.
>>
>> All I said was, "I'm feeding Purina and nobody has gotten sick."
>> One of you alarmist assholes then felt the need to sound the alarm
>> that OH MY GOD NO FOOD IS SAFE.
>>
>> It's annoying.
>>

> You also said you were going to stop crossposting....what?.....several
> hours ago.
>
> Tara

Get out of my cat group or I will sic my dog Charlie on you. TROLL.

Tara
May 8th 07, 10:00 PM
diddy > wrote in news:[email protected]
216.196.97.142:

> in thread 4.196:
Tara
> > whittled the following words:
>
>> diddy > wrote in news:[email protected]
>> 216.196.97.142:
>>
>>> in thread 4.196:
>>> Tara > whittled the following words:

>>> That would be you. I never mentioned points, but you have
>>>

>> Um, you mentioned it in the post I responded to.
>>
>> And the gun thread wasn't about "adding up points" you dolt.
>>
>> It was about one or two posters using devastating tragedy to score
>> points for a political side.
> not at all. The thread was active preceeding the tragedy. You used the
> tragedy to stop talking about it because you were losing.

Um, can you actually differentiate between.....you know....DIFFERENT
PEOPLE?

I wasn't even IN that thread until after the tragedy.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about gun control as
I see strong arguments for both sides.

So, you're just flat out wrong here. And your predisposition for lumping
people into one pile and then kicking it has just been made abundantly
clear.

again.

> YOU were the ones who mentioned "points" being scored on the topic.
>>
>> The kind of points *you* obsessively tally and keeping track of are
>> another kind altogether and bear no resemblance whatsoever to that
>> sort of discussion.
> I dont keep score and tally points

Um, you just did it in the previous sentence you wrote. You know....the
one right up above.

In the very post I'm responding to.

And not only were you keeping score, you got the "players" totally
wrong.

wow. What a piece of work.

Tara

Tara
May 8th 07, 10:01 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in :

> "Tara" > wrote in message
> 4.196...
>> "cybercat" > wrote in
>> :

>>> All I said was, "I'm feeding Purina and nobody has gotten sick."
>>> One of you alarmist assholes then felt the need to sound the alarm
>>> that OH MY GOD NO FOOD IS SAFE.
>>>
>>> It's annoying.
>>>

>> You also said you were going to stop
>> crossposting....what?.....several hours ago.
>>
>> Tara
>
> Get out of my cat group or I will sic my dog Charlie on you. TROLL.

Oh **** off.

You're just as lame as you were years ago.

Tara

bethgsd
May 8th 07, 10:19 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
. ..
> bethgsd wrote:
>
>> I've been reading a lot on the recalled foods and how others are dealing
>> with the problem, etc. I've found Shelly's way of handling it quite
>> sensible.
>
> Thank you. I am trying, though it is not easy, and I have certainly had
> my moments.

If I had had the health problems with my cats that you've had I would be
much more worried. Knock on wood, I haven't seen what the cats are eating on
a recall list, yet.

>> And I'm blaming her for the little bag of Evo I purchased yesterday. The
>> boys think it is crack!
>
> Ha! But, do they *sing* to it?

No, but I'm expecting Star to realize that if he stands on his backlegs and
stretches a bit he could probably get it off of the top of the fridge. Have
I mentioned that he went oversize?

>> I can use it for training, which was my purpose in buying it anyway. I
>> certainly can't afford to feed 3 GSDs it on my budget.
>
> I nearly choked on my tongue when I saw the price, and I just have *one*
> dog to feed.

I totally understand that feeling. I was thinking if it was in the same
price range as FRR I might try it. A mom -n- pop store on the other side of
town carries a bunch of good food and I wouldn't mind supporting them if
possible. At Evo's prices, not possible.

Beth

cybercat
May 8th 07, 10:26 PM
"Tara" > wrote in message
4.196...
> "cybercat" > wrote in :
>

>> "Tara" > wrote in message
>> 4.196...
>>> "cybercat" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> You also said you were going to stop
>>> crossposting....what?.....several hours ago.
>>>
>>> Tara
>>
>> Get out of my cat group or I will sic my dog Charlie on you. TROLL.
>>

> Oh **** off.
>
> You're just as lame as you were years ago.
>
> Tara

And your sense of humor is just as undeveloped.

Enjoy your hysteria, dogbreath.

Rona Y.
May 8th 07, 10:33 PM
On May 8, 11:23 pm, Sherry > wrote:

> The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
> folks, who seem
> all that concerned. Some people have seen the signs on the store
> shelves, but
> don't really even know much about the recall at all. It's been on the
> news,
> but not anything like the coverage given to the peanut butter thing.
> They're very blase about
> it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
> Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
> something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
> actually seen too
> little concern about it.

I'm probably getting a skewed view of things, but I'm in Japan and
I've read more about the pet food recalls than about the people food
recalls. There was at least one related article in the newspaper
almost every day (mostly AP, Reuters articles or articles lifted from
US papers), not to mention the stuff going around the internet. The
people food recalls never got that much coverage.

rona

Melinda Shore
May 8th 07, 10:50 PM
In article >,
cybercat > wrote:
>And your sense of humor is just as undeveloped.

But you could help if you wanted to. Which part was funny?

May 8th 07, 11:45 PM
"Melinda Shore" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> cybercat > wrote:
>>And your sense of humor is just as undeveloped.
>
> But you could help if you wanted to. Which part was funny?
> --

The short curly hair between your front teeth is hilarious.

Melinda Shore
May 8th 07, 11:50 PM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:
>The short curly hair between your front teeth is hilarious.

No, seriously - for those of us who are humor-impaired,
maybe it would help if you pointed out what it is that
you've posted is funny, and why. Really - help us out
here. Your sense of humor must be really, really subtle.
Sophisticated, too! I'll bet it's so far out in front of
everybody else that nobody else gets your humor, either.
So, walk us through one of your really, really funny posts
and maybe we'll learn enough from it to be able to see the
humor in your other posts, too.

May 9th 07, 12:08 AM
"Melinda Shore" > wrote in message
> In article >, cybercat > wrote:
>>The short curly hair between your front teeth is hilarious.
>
> No, seriously

Seriously. :)

Melinda Shore
May 9th 07, 12:33 AM
In article >, cybercat > wrote:
>Seriously. :)

Okay, maybe we can start there. Why is that funny? If it's
funny, why do you have to use a smiley face to flag it as
funny? If you think something is funny and nobody else
does, why would you post it to such a huge audience without
explaining why it's funny?

The way I see it, posting is an attempt to communicate, and
if your audience really doesn't get what it is you're trying
to communicate you either need to rethink how you express
yourself, or just not bother. I think clarity is important.
So, it really does seem to me that if you're not just one of
those write-only Usenetters you'd be helping yourself,
first, by explaining to those of us who are humor-impaired
what in your posts is funny, and why.

May 9th 07, 02:16 AM
"Melinda Shore" > wrote in message
> In article >, cybercat > wrote:
>>Seriously. :)
>
> Okay, maybe we can start there. Why is that funny? If it's
> funny, why do you have to use a smiley face to flag it as
> funny? If you think something is funny and nobody else
> does, why would you post it to such a huge audience without
> explaining why it's funny?
>
> The way I see it, posting is an attempt to communicate, and
> if your audience really doesn't get what it is you're trying
> to communicate you either need to rethink how you express
> yourself, or just not bother. I think clarity is important.
> So, it really does seem to me that if you're not just one of
> those write-only Usenetters you'd be helping yourself,
> first, by explaining to those of us who are humor-impaired
> what in your posts is funny, and why.

I am afraid I cannot help you, Mindy. You were obviously
born handicapped.

Bless your persistent little heart.

Rona Y.
May 9th 07, 02:23 AM
On May 9, 1:49 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Rona Y." > wrote
> > To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.
>
> So now you're panicking about the panic?

Did you miss the "to a certain degree" part? And "worry" hardly
equates with "panic".

> > And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
> > 100% trusted. That's just a fact.
>
> Right. And the chances that there are NO pet food companies who
> are not using tainted ingredients is really unlikely.

And where did I say that?

> My heart goes out to those who have had animals get sick from
> the tainted food, but FFS, tearing our hair out over the notion that
> "no pet food company can be trusted" is stupid and counterproductive.

Again, where did I say that?

> And when someone says, "I have been using such and such a brand and
> my cats are fine," what is the function of commenting, as you did, that
> theoretically no pet food company can be trusted?

But you never said that. What you said was, "I'm using Purina, and
*there has been no problem with their food
at all*." (emphasis mine) What you said was that Purina did not
have *any* problems with *any* of their food. The point I made was
not to create panic, as you seem to want to assume, but to correct the
assumption that Purina had no foods involved in the recall.

> It has one function. To create panic, upset, worry, etc., where there is
> no rational reason for it.

My reason, as I stated above, was to correct the assumption that
Purina had no foods involved.

Do you think it's unwise to give people as much information as
possible so they can make their own informed decisions? When I ask
questions, it is always so I can inform myself as much as possible.
It has nothing to do with panicking, it has to do with my own
negotiation of knowledge.

FWIW, I'm still feeding my cat SD, since her diet was not involved in
the recall. Were I really panicking, would I not have stopped feeding
her that? I am still looking into other foods, and am still planning
to call Hill's, just to find out more about their manufacturing
process. That's to add to my knowledge base.

I think you're the one creating drama here with your accusations and
belligerence. I merely corrected your erroneous statement. Whether
you meant to say that the foods *you* feed *your* pets were OK is
irrelevant. Fact is, you said "there has been ***no problem with
[Purina's] food at all***". And that was simply untrue, so I
corrected you. Maybe you just don't like to be corrected?

cybercat
May 9th 07, 02:58 AM
"Rona Y." > wrote

> I think you're the one creating drama here with your accusations and
> belligerence. I merely corrected your erroneous statement. Whether
> you meant to say that the foods *you* feed *your* pets were OK is
> irrelevant. Fact is, you said "there has been ***no problem with
> [Purina's] food at all***". And that was simply untrue, so I
> corrected you. Maybe you just don't like to be corrected?

Here is the original post, you nitpicking, petty ass. We were talking
about CAT food.

"Ken Knecht" > wrote

I said:

>I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
>companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
>at all.

And you added your histrionic bull****.

Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
and tear out your hair over this ****?

May 9th 07, 02:59 AM
"~ narnia ~" > wrote in message
> On 8 May 2007 07:23:02 -0700, Sherry > wrote:

>>> I was talking about pet food, in general. hadn't noticed the cross-
>>> posting, either, but I felt it was important to point out that almost
>>> no large pet food company is free of problems in this matter. urina
>>> might not have problems with their cat food, but they still had
>>> problems with some of their food.
> ecause of that, they aren't any
>>> more trustworthy than Hill's in this matter (who also had two foods
>>> recalled--the savoury cuts line and m/d).

>>> What I assume is sarcasm aside, people are already panicking. n
>>> fact, people seem to be panicking more about this than they are about
>>> any of the contaminated food (spinach, ground beef, lettuce) that
>>> killed humans, and those things were actually grown/raised in the US.
>>> To a certain degree, that worries me more than the pet food scandal.
>>>
>>> And there really aren't many companies (pet food or not) that can be
>>> 100% trusted. hat's just a fact. 'm not panicking over it, nor am
>>> I getting paranoid. just accept it, and then make any purchasing
>>> decisions based on the information I have on hand, and based on the
>>> least of all evils.
>>>
>>> rona
>>
>>The odd thing is, I don't see anyone around me, except newsgroup
>>folks, who seem
>>all that concerned. Some people have seen the signs on the store
>>shelves, but
>>don't really even know much about the recall at all. It's been on the
>>news,
>>but not anything like the coverage given to the peanut butter thing.
>>They're very blase about
>>it. They'll just say, "Oh, yeah, I heard about that. But I feed
>>Science Diet, so it's okay"..or
>>something like that. So, I haven't seen any panic at all. I've
>>actually seen too
>>little concern about it.
>>
>>Sherry
>
> I feel the same way Sherry.
>
> Just today I was talking to someone who has two dogs (and a horse)
> about what she's been feeding her dogs since the recall. She gave me a
> blank look and then said, "Oh, you mean when they found rat poison in
> the petfood?"

I'm really glad I live in a college town.

Stacia
May 9th 07, 04:28 AM
"cybercat" > writes:

>I said:

>>I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet food
>>companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their food
>>at all.

>And you added your histrionic bull****.

But Purina products (dog products, IIRC) have been involved in the
recall. There *have* been problems with Purina foods. I am really
confused that you don't seem to understand that.

>Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
>and tear out your hair over this ****?

Okay. Look. You've posted nearly 30 times in this thread, and Rona's
posted 5. So you'll forgive me if I don't think your little jab at her
is particularly compelling.
Second, anything you say about her needing something better to do has
absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand. I mean, if you think
dismissing someone with sophomoric insults is effective, be my guest,
but you're not exactly convincing people like me that you're sane.
Pubic hair jokes? Great on 4chan. Moronic here.
I mean, if you care at all, I just thought I'd point out that you look
like a complete goddamned fool right now.

Stacia

cybercat
May 9th 07, 06:17 AM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > writes:
>
>>I said:
>
>>>I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet
>>>food
>>>companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their
>>>food
>>>at all.
>
>>And you added your histrionic bull****.
>
> But Purina products (dog products, IIRC) have been involved in the
> recall. There *have* been problems with Purina foods. I am really
> confused that you don't seem to understand that.

I just acknowledged that, Stacia. I was talking about CAT food in this
thread.

Please try to keep up.

Charlie Wilkes
May 9th 07, 06:19 AM
On Wed, 09 May 2007 03:28:15 +0000, Stacia wrote:

> "cybercat" > writes:
>
>>I said:
>
>>>I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet
>>>food companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with
>>>their food at all.
>
>>And you added your histrionic bull****.
>
> But Purina products (dog products, IIRC) have been involved in the
> recall. There *have* been problems with Purina foods. I am really
> confused that you don't seem to understand that.
>
>>Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
>>and tear out your hair over this ****?
>
> Okay. Look. You've posted nearly 30 times in this thread, and Rona's
> posted 5. So you'll forgive me if I don't think your little jab at her
> is particularly compelling.
> Second, anything you say about her needing something better to do has
> absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand. I mean, if you think
> dismissing someone with sophomoric insults is effective, be my guest,
> but you're not exactly convincing people like me that you're sane. Pubic
> hair jokes? Great on 4chan. Moronic here.
> I mean, if you care at all, I just thought I'd point out that you look
> like a complete goddamned fool right now.
>
> Stacia

Hmmm. Give this a try, Stacia:

www.lifeknox.com/

You have nothing to lose but your ****ty attitude.

Charlie

Shelly
May 9th 07, 11:56 AM
bethgsd wrote:

> If I had had the health problems with my cats that you've had I would be
> much more worried.

It makes me wonder how far back this problem really goes. His
symptoms were precisely what is being described by folks whose cats
have eaten melamine, especially his final relapse.

> Knock on wood, I haven't seen what the cats are eating on
> a recall list, yet.

Knock on wood and fingers crossed!

> No, but I'm expecting Star to realize that if he stands on his backlegs and
> stretches a bit he could probably get it off of the top of the fridge. Have
> I mentioned that he went oversize?

He must be! However, Harriet says that you don't have to be big to
get stuff off the fridge, you just need rocket boosters in your legs.

> I totally understand that feeling. I was thinking if it was in the same
> price range as FRR I might try it. A mom -n- pop store on the other side of
> town carries a bunch of good food and I wouldn't mind supporting them if
> possible. At Evo's prices, not possible.

I'm in the same situation, re mom-n-pop store across town. It's
kind of a pain in the arse to get there, but I am thankful to have
the option, and I do what I can to support them. The owners are
good people. The last time I went in, it was *packed*. They said
that business has been crazy since the recalls started.

--
Shelly

May 9th 07, 11:58 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 03:28:15 +0000, Stacia wrote:

>>>And you added your histrionic bull****.
>>
>> But Purina products (dog products, IIRC) have been involved in the
>> recall. There *have* been problems with Purina foods. I am really
>> confused that you don't seem to understand that.
>>
>>>Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
>>>and tear out your hair over this ****?
>>
>> Okay. Look. You've posted nearly 30 times in this thread, and Rona's
>> posted 5. So you'll forgive me if I don't think your little jab at her
>> is particularly compelling.
>> Second, anything you say about her needing something better to do has
>> absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand. I mean, if you think
>> dismissing someone with sophomoric insults is effective, be my guest,
>> but you're not exactly convincing people like me that you're sane. Pubic
>> hair jokes? Great on 4chan. Moronic here.
>> I mean, if you care at all, I just thought I'd point out that you look
>> like a complete goddamned fool right now.
>>
>> Stacia
>
> Hmmm. Give this a try, Stacia:
>
> www.lifeknox.com/
>
> You have nothing to lose but your ****ty attitude.

What is 4chan?

Rona Y.
May 9th 07, 12:01 PM
On May 9, 10:58 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
> and tear out your hair over this ****?

Megan, I don't know what's going on in your life, but I hope you get
through it. You're so much better than this.

regards,

rona

Shelly
May 9th 07, 12:30 PM
cybercat wrote:

> I am afraid I cannot help you, Mindy. You were obviously
> born handicapped.
>
> Bless your persistent little heart.

Why do you hate handicapped people?

--
Shelly

May 9th 07, 01:01 PM
"Rona Y." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 9, 10:58 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>
>> Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
>> and tear out your hair over this ****?
>>

> Megan, I don't know what's going on in your life, but I hope you get
> through it. You're so much better than this.

Wow. There are insults, and then there are INSULTS!

This just goes to show how far your head is up your ass, of
course.

Judy[_2_]
May 9th 07, 02:11 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
t...
> I'm in the same situation, re mom-n-pop store across town. It's kind of a
> pain in the arse to get there, but I am thankful to have the option, and I
> do what I can to support them. The owners are good people. The last time
> I went in, it was *packed*. They said that business has been crazy since
> the recalls started.

I stopped into my mom-n-pop store yesterday for Canidae. Talk about "sign
of the times" - The sign out front said "Wheat free pet foods available
here". I sent my brother there to switch his cat to Felidae when his
vet-sold prescription food was recalled. Guess he wasn't their only new
customer, huh?

The only Felidae Platinum they carry is in the smallest bag. He asked about
larger bags and they said he was the first one to ask - wait a minute and
they'd check. No problem ordering it for him - just give them 24 hours
notice. Not bad service either.

And while he was there a couple of days ago, he discovered that they also
fill propane canisters - for about 10% less than Agway does. So yet another
win-win.

So maybe a really good side effect of all this is that these mom-n-pop
stores will get more support. As will the farmers' markets and the
sustainable farms.

This given morning, DH isn't so sure it's a good thing. I made him double
the size of our garden this year. And he knows it's not just the additional
ground-breaking that's the real work. Fortunately, once he gets over his
grumbling, he really enjoys working in the garden.

Judy

bethgsd
May 9th 07, 02:47 PM
"Judy" > wrote in message
> "Shelly" > wrote in message
> t...
>> I'm in the same situation, re mom-n-pop store across town. It's kind of
>> a pain in the arse to get there, but I am thankful to have the option,
>> and I do what I can to support them. The owners are good people. The
>> last time I went in, it was *packed*. They said that business has been
>> crazy since the recalls started.
>
> I stopped into my mom-n-pop store yesterday for Canidae. Talk about "sign
> of the times" - The sign out front said "Wheat free pet foods available
> here". I sent my brother there to switch his cat to Felidae when his
> vet-sold prescription food was recalled. Guess he wasn't their only new
> customer, huh?
>
> The only Felidae Platinum they carry is in the smallest bag. He asked
> about larger bags and they said he was the first one to ask - wait a
> minute and they'd check. No problem ordering it for him - just give them
> 24 hours notice. Not bad service either.
>
> And while he was there a couple of days ago, he discovered that they also
> fill propane canisters - for about 10% less than Agway does. So yet
> another win-win.
>
> So maybe a really good side effect of all this is that these mom-n-pop
> stores will get more support. As will the farmers' markets and the
> sustainable farms.

I just wish the two mom-n-pop pet food stores nearest to me would quit
selling puppies. Ugh. So, to go to the one I visited on Monday, I have to
drive 45 minutes. There is one closer, but I don't know what they carry.
Maybe I'll stop by today when I'm out and about.

> This given morning, DH isn't so sure it's a good thing. I made him double
> the size of our garden this year. And he knows it's not just the
> additional ground-breaking that's the real work. Fortunately, once he
> gets over his grumbling, he really enjoys working in the garden.
>
> Judy

Raised beds babee! I'm trying to figure out where I can put some squash so
the stink bugs don't get it. Unfortunatly down here I can't grow lettuce
and spinach in the summer. But I do get a nice fall crop.

Beth

Shelly
May 9th 07, 03:49 PM
Judy wrote:

> I stopped into my mom-n-pop store yesterday for Canidae. Talk about "sign
> of the times" - The sign out front said "Wheat free pet foods available
> here".

Speaking of responses to the recalls, our local hippie-granola
co-op/grocery store actually called or sent e-mails to all their
members after some of Royal Canin's products, which they sell, were
recalled. *boggle* Now *that* is being proactive.

> I sent my brother there to switch his cat to Felidae when his
> vet-sold prescription food was recalled. Guess he wasn't their only new
> customer, huh?

Probably not!

> The only Felidae Platinum they carry is in the smallest bag. He asked about
> larger bags and they said he was the first one to ask - wait a minute and
> they'd check. No problem ordering it for him - just give them 24 hours
> notice. Not bad service either.

That's how the folks at T&T are. It's such a nice change to go into
a shop and actually have someone take your needs seriously.

In contrast, I went to Target to pick up envelopes and was told I
was the nth person to ask for them that day. The Target Elf said
that they are rearranging the stationery section, and that they
don't re-order items in departments they are reorganizing. Well,
it's not like plain old white envelopes are going to go out of style
or anything. Sheesh! Thankfully, Crap-Mart is right next door, so
I found my envelopes, but lordy, was it a pain in my behindermost!

> And while he was there a couple of days ago, he discovered that they also
> fill propane canisters - for about 10% less than Agway does. So yet another
> win-win.

That's one of the things I love about small towns. Spencer has a
place that is a tanning salon, travel agency, and quick lube. And
the U-Haul place is also a car wash and cell phone dealership.

> So maybe a really good side effect of all this is that these mom-n-pop
> stores will get more support. As will the farmers' markets and the
> sustainable farms.

In the short term, at least, that seems to be what's happening.

> This given morning, DH isn't so sure it's a good thing. I made him double
> the size of our garden this year. And he knows it's not just the additional
> ground-breaking that's the real work. Fortunately, once he gets over his
> grumbling, he really enjoys working in the garden.

My mom is like that (well, not the grumbly part). She really,
really likes gardening. I don't exactly hate it, but I have to
continually remind myself that the end product will be worth the
effort. Now, if I could garden in *winter*, I'd be much more
enthusiastic about it!

--
Shelly

Shelly
May 9th 07, 03:52 PM
bethgsd wrote:

> I just wish the two mom-n-pop pet food stores nearest to me would quit
> selling puppies. Ugh.

O ick. There is one near campus, which I drive past nearly every
day, that sells good food. Also puppies. I can't bring myself to
go in there. They even have one of those scrolling LED signs, and
it occasionally advertises puppy sales.

> So, to go to the one I visited on Monday, I have to
> drive 45 minutes. There is one closer, but I don't know what they carry.
> Maybe I'll stop by today when I'm out and about.

Hopefully, they don't carry animals!

--
Shelly

Judy[_2_]
May 9th 07, 04:12 PM
"bethgsd" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I just wish the two mom-n-pop pet food stores nearest to me would quit
> selling puppies. Ugh. So, to go to the one I visited on Monday, I have
> to drive 45 minutes.

Where I live, a 45 minute drive is pretty much standard for anything. And
this store is 45 minutes away. But it's also sort of on the way to both dog
class and my mom's so we can just take a slightly longer alternate loop on
our way to one of those places.

There is a store about half an hour away - that's upstairs from my vet - but
their customer skills are pretty bad and other than the vet I don't go past
there normally. And there is another store about 20 minutes away but their
big claim to fame is that they sell PUPPIES - NEW PUPPIES ARRIVING
WEEKLY!!!!! So I don't have any idea if they actually sell anything else or
not because I really don't plan to ever go in.

> Raised beds babee!

I have discussed raised beds with him. He has a bunch of reasons why not -
even though he does understand all the advantages. Since he does most of
the grunt work in the garden, I'm inclined to let him do it his way.

I did mention that I was going to build a raised bed in one corner of the
dog pen. I thought I'd make a little herb garden with rabbit proof fence
all around it. Then the herbs would be much closer to the house than the
garden is and I'd be much more likely to run out and snip off some while I'm
cooking. The soil's not great there so raising it and filling it with good
soil sounded like a perfect solution to me. He complained about how I was
going about it and about all my spring projects until I reminded him that
there had been no mention of his participation in this particular project.
And that I actually preferred that he stay out of this one since he was
making it way more work and a bigger deal than I was. So now, he's going to
help with raising the bed up and bringing in some good dirt - doing it my
way and then letting me take care of it from there on.

Amazing. It's only taken me 36 years to get him trained to this level.
Dogs are much easier.

Judy

Judy[_2_]
May 9th 07, 04:21 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
t...
The Target Elf said
> that they are rearranging the stationery section, and that they don't
> re-order items in departments they are reorganizing. Well, it's not like
> plain old white envelopes are going to go out of style or anything.
> Sheesh!

The same thing has been happening at the grocery store I go to the most -
only because I'm usually right next door to it when I pick up drugs.
They've been moving stuff around - not totally remodelling but about half
the store has changed. For a solid month now there has been no Jif peanut
butter. Jif was not recalled. There is really no reason to not have it
when they have all the other brands. There were some other things that they
didn't have once or twice but have now been restocked. But still no Jif. I
keep most staples pretty well stocked ahead but I think DH can now see the
bottom of the last jar of Jif. Gonna have to do something about that.

> My mom is like that (well, not the grumbly part). She really, really
> likes gardening. I don't exactly hate it, but I have to continually
> remind myself that the end product will be worth the effort.

DH really does enjoy it. He doesn't quite have his mother's green thumb but
then very few do. But he does pretty well. I like working in the garden
when I want to. Which means when the weather's nice and the work is
relatively easy. Oh and also when *I* want to do it and not when *someone*
else says that it needs to be done.

Judy

Suja
May 9th 07, 05:05 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message:

> He must be! However, Harriet says that you don't have to be big to
> get stuff off the fridge, you just need rocket boosters in your legs.

I was talking to my vet about Melatonin, and asked if she knew whether it
disrupted sleep cycles or made dogs groggy. She said that she's pretty sure
that it doesn't, 'cause she's been using them on a pair of Boxers, and if
they've gotten any less boingy, she would've noticed. I of course,
immediately thought of Harriet and her fridge-top raiding ways.

Suja

Shelly
May 9th 07, 05:08 PM
Suja wrote:

> I was talking to my vet about Melatonin, and asked if she knew whether it
> disrupted sleep cycles or made dogs groggy. She said that she's pretty sure
> that it doesn't, 'cause she's been using them on a pair of Boxers, and if
> they've gotten any less boingy, she would've noticed.

What does she give to dogs melatonin for? My mom takes it
occasionally as a sleep aid, but I've never heard of dogs having
insomnia.

> I of course,
> immediately thought of Harriet and her fridge-top raiding ways.

Thankfully, my current fridge is set into the wall. Haw! No more
fridge-top raiding for Miss Brown.

--
Shelly

Suja
May 9th 07, 06:18 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message:

> What does she give to dogs melatonin for?

Atypical Cushing's. We're crossing that bridge before we get to it.

> My mom takes it
> occasionally as a sleep aid, but I've never heard of dogs having
> insomnia.

Well, I have a hard time figuring out exactly how much 'sleep' dogs get, and
just exactly how to define it.

> Thankfully, my current fridge is set into the wall. Haw! No more
> fridge-top raiding for Miss Brown.

Miss Brown would have a ball here. There may be no food on top of the
refrigerator, but there is plenty on the countertops.

Here is something I don't understand. When I open a new bag of dog food, I
usually just leave it leaning up against Pan's couch, right under her nose
(until I get help in transferring half the food to the bag in the container
and put away the rest) when she's resting with her head on the arm rest.
She has never once made an effort to get into it, or shown any interest in
it. I take the stuff out and put it in a bowl, and all of a sudden, she's
acting like she hasn't been fed in months. Even includes bubble blowing,
drooling copiously and making Chewbacca noises.

Suja

Charlie Wilkes
May 9th 07, 07:27 PM
On Wed, 09 May 2007 06:58:20 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> What is 4chan?

I only know because I looked it up. It's a web site about anime...
www.4chan.org

Charlie

bethgsd
May 9th 07, 07:57 PM
"Suja" > wrote in message

> "Shelly" > wrote in message:
>
>> He must be! However, Harriet says that you don't have to be big to
>> get stuff off the fridge, you just need rocket boosters in your legs.
>
> I was talking to my vet about Melatonin, and asked if she knew whether it
> disrupted sleep cycles or made dogs groggy. She said that she's pretty
> sure
> that it doesn't, 'cause she's been using them on a pair of Boxers, and if
> they've gotten any less boingy, she would've noticed. I of course,
> immediately thought of Harriet and her fridge-top raiding ways.
>
> Suja

And I have made sure not to mention to anyone here about rocket booster
legs.

Beth

cybercat
May 9th 07, 09:36 PM
"Shelly" > wrote in message
t...
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> I am afraid I cannot help you, Mindy. You were obviously
>> born handicapped.
>>
>> Bless your persistent little heart.
>
> Why do you hate handicapped people?

The sense-of-humor impaired are sad to encounter, but I
think "hate" is a bit strong a word.

You have a little drool on your chin, Shelly.

May 9th 07, 09:38 PM
"Stacia" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > writes:
>
>>I said:
>
>>>I was essentially sympathizing with those who feel betrayed by the pet
>>>food
>>>companies. I'm using Purina, and there has been no problem with their
>>>food
>>>at all.
>
>>And you added your histrionic bull****.
>
> But Purina products (dog products, IIRC) have been involved in the
> recall. There *have* been problems with Purina foods. I am really
> confused that you don't seem to understand that.
>
>>Don't you have something better to do than beat your miserable breast
>>and tear out your hair over this ****?
>
> Okay. Look. You've posted nearly 30 times in this thread, and Rona's
> posted 5. So you'll forgive me if I don't think your little jab at her
> is particularly compelling.
> Second, anything you say about her needing something better to do has
> absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand. I mean, if you think
> dismissing someone with sophomoric insults is effective, be my guest,
> but you're not exactly convincing people like me that you're sane.
> Pubic hair jokes? Great on 4chan. Moronic here.
> I mean, if you care at all, I just thought I'd point out that you look
> like a complete goddamned fool right now.
>
> Stacia

I clearly struck a nerve! So, how many RECALL ALERTS!!!!! have
you been sending out with the stupid jokes du jour to your entire
mailing list, eh, Stacia?

May 10th 07, 01:16 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
>> Second, anything you say about her needing something better to do has
>> absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand. I mean, if you think
>> dismissing someone with sophomoric insults is effective, be my guest,
>> but you're not exactly convincing people like me that you're sane. Pubic
>> hair jokes? Great on 4chan. Moronic here.
>> I mean, if you care at all, I just thought I'd point out that you look
>> like a complete goddamned fool right now.
>>
>> Stacia
>
> Hmmm. Give this a try, Stacia:
>
> www.lifeknox.com/
>
> You have nothing to lose but your ****ty attitude.

Stacia's a freak. Anime. Pretend people and not a public
hair in sight.

Charlie, can I ask you something?

Charlie Wilkes
May 10th 07, 02:31 AM
On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:16:10 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote
>>> Second, anything you say about her needing something better to do
>>> has
>>> absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand. I mean, if you think
>>> dismissing someone with sophomoric insults is effective, be my guest,
>>> but you're not exactly convincing people like me that you're sane.
>>> Pubic hair jokes? Great on 4chan. Moronic here.
>>> I mean, if you care at all, I just thought I'd point out that you
>>> look
>>> like a complete goddamned fool right now.
>>>
>>> Stacia
>>
>> Hmmm. Give this a try, Stacia:
>>
>> www.lifeknox.com/
>>
>> You have nothing to lose but your ****ty attitude.
>>

> Stacia's a freak. Anime. Pretend people and not a public hair in sight.
>
> Charlie, can I ask you something?

Of course. What is on your mind?

Charlie

cybercat
May 10th 07, 06:51 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:16:10 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>
>> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote

>>> Hmmm. Give this a try, Stacia:
>>>
>>> www.lifeknox.com/
>>>
>>> You have nothing to lose but your ****ty attitude.
>>>

>> Stacia's a freak. Anime. Pretend people and not a public hair in sight.
>>
>> Charlie, can I ask you something?
>>

> Of course. What is on your mind?

Do I strike you as the kind of person who is trying to convince
"people like" Stacia that I "am sane?"

Charlie Wilkes
May 10th 07, 07:27 PM
On Thu, 10 May 2007 01:51:37 -0400, cybercat wrote:

> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 09 May 2007 20:16:10 -0400, cybercat wrote:
>>
>>> "Charlie Wilkes" > wrote

>>> Stacia's a freak. Anime. Pretend people and not a public hair in
>>> sight.
>>>
>>> Charlie, can I ask you something?
>>>

>> Of course. What is on your mind?
>>

> Do I strike you as the kind of person who is trying to convince "people
> like" Stacia that I "am sane?"

No. You're running into the same problem I used to have with the rpdb
crowd. They are instinctively hostile, easily offended and utterly
without a sense of humor. They behave like a pack of chihuahuas, nipping
at your heels and then scampering away if you turn around to challenge
them. It's very annoying.

Charlie