PDA

View Full Version : Quality Foods? California Natural?

Bluedove
April 29th 07, 05:02 PM
I just started buy this brand and so far, am very please. My cats, Dove and
Gabe' fur seems especially shiny and glossy since they have been eating it,
and* they like it. No kitty has thrown up, which is always a red flag.

This brand initially caught my eye at my vets office months ago because it
said 'natural' and 'holistic' on it, and then when I read the list of
ingredients, I was impressed to see chicken was the 1st ingredient, and was
impressed with all the other contents in it, as well.

Does anyone else have any comments and experience, good or bad, with this
food?

ML

cybercat
April 29th 07, 05:15 PM
"Bluedove" <[email protected] home.com> wrote in message
> I just started buy this brand and so far, am very please. My cats, Dove
> and
> Gabe' fur seems especially shiny and glossy since they have been eating
> it,
> and* they like it. No kitty has thrown up, which is always a red flag.
>
> This brand initially caught my eye at my vets office months ago because it
> said 'natural' and 'holistic' on it, and then when I read the list of
> ingredients, I was impressed to see chicken was the 1st ingredient, and
> was
> impressed with all the other contents in it, as well.
>
> Does anyone else have any comments and experience, good or bad, with this
> food?

It is most likely the higher quality protein that gives you the nice results
you see. The rest is hype. "Natural" is a meaningless word--botulism
is natural! Salmonella is natural .. etc. "Holistic" is another word they
are using to sell to YOU, because your cat does not hold the check
book.

The most important thing is the absence of grains, which cats do not
need, and the presence of a large amount of meat, which they do
need. I assume this is canned food? If so, the other element in the
benefits you are seeing may be water. Cats don't drink enough,
because in the wild they were accustomed to getting most of their
water from prey. When you feed primarily dry, it's not good for
them.

Bluedove
April 29th 07, 06:14 PM

cybercat" > wrote in message

> It is most likely the higher quality protein that gives you the nice
results
> you see. The rest is hype. "Natural" is a meaningless word--botulism
> is natural! Salmonella is natural .. etc. "Holistic" is another word they
> are using to sell to YOU, because your cat does not hold the check
> book.
>
> The most important thing is the absence of grains, which cats do not
> need, and the presence of a large amount of meat, which they do
> need. I assume this is canned food? If so, the other element in the
> benefits you are seeing may be water. Cats don't drink enough,
> because in the wild they were accustomed to getting most of their
> water from prey. When you feed primarily dry, it's not good for
> them.

Hi,

Yes, it's a dry food, and the kind I bought is called, "Chicken and Rice"
formular. And I have always* supplemented their diets with both wet and dry.
Efven when most vets were saying only to feed dry to cats it was all they
needed... Not. And yes, this brand I bought does* have brown rice, rice,
and chicken meal, in it after* the 1st ingrediant of Chicken. It's made by a
company called, "Natura Pet Products" out of Santa Clara, CA. Their toll
free # is 1-800-532-7261, and I think I am going to call them to see what
they have to say about this product, in general, and also see if they can
sent me any coupons..?

I would copy the ingrediants down for ya frm the bag, but I don't have the
time right now. I'll hunt around in the internet to see if they are listed,
so I can copy and paste them here. So far though, I am impressed with them.
but certainly am aware that first imnpressionions can be fleating, since I
felt the same way when I stumbled on to, "Nutro Gourmet Dry, Roasted Chicken
flavor". Now, I won't buy from them. I just don't trust them anymore and
who can blame me.

ML

Joe Canuck[_2_]
April 29th 07, 06:25 PM
Bluedove wrote:
> I just started buy this brand and so far, am very please. My cats, Dove and
> Gabe' fur seems especially shiny and glossy since they have been eating it,
> and* they like it. No kitty has thrown up, which is always a red flag.
>
> This brand initially caught my eye at my vets office months ago because it
> said 'natural' and 'holistic' on it, and then when I read the list of
> ingredients, I was impressed to see chicken was the 1st ingredient, and was
> impressed with all the other contents in it, as well.
>
> Does anyone else have any comments and experience, good or bad, with this
> food?
>
> ML

I fed that food to my cat for well over a year.

The California Natural dry Chicken & Rice type. Much of the wording on
the package is marketing hype designed to appeal to you the human,
because it is you making the purchasing decisions.

She was happy on that food and I was pleased with how she was doing. I
decided to switch her to Science Diet Chicken & Rice dry because I moved
to an area where the California Natural was no longer available.

Why did I pick the SD? Because it is readily available in most areas and
the formulation appeared quite good.

Now, for me anyways, all bets are off regarding cat food. I thinking of
having a look at the Purina Pro Plan.

cybercat
April 29th 07, 07:02 PM
"Bluedove" <[email protected] home.com> wrote
> Hi,
>
> Yes, it's a dry food, and the kind I bought is called, "Chicken and Rice"
> formular. And I have always* supplemented their diets with both wet and
> dry.

Excellent. Does Bluedove make canned food? That might be good to try.

My little Gracie gets sores and lesions (EGC) and itchiness, but cutting out
all wheat and rice has resulted in no outbreaks this year, and no asthma
attacks, either. There is corn in her Purina One dry, which can be a problem
for some cats but it is not a problem for her. (She gets meaty canned food
twice a day, but just nibbles. So I put dry down hoping it will tempt her
thoughout the day.)

Rhonda
April 29th 07, 07:40 PM
Yes, we've used this for about 2 years. We had used Max Cat for years
and decided to look for a better food with less grains.

Natura makes Innova Evo along with California Natural, but I chose CN
because it had fewer ingredients. The cats are all doing well on it and
have nice coats.

As far as throwing up -- we have a cat family (all related) that go
through bouts of that. Their mom had health issues while pregnant and I
don't think any food would cure it. The other cats used to throw up
occasionally, but now do not on this food.

Rhonda