PDA

View Full Version : Trusting your Cat Food


April 30th 07, 04:43 PM
I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done. IAM's
and Hill's Science used to be vet formulated for "premium" pet food,
with holistic ingredients. They sold out to Proctor & Gamble, Colgate-
Palmolive, etc, and then their formulas were changed to increase
profits, while adding non-nutritious and even harmful ingredients!
Purina, which was the "Coca-Cola" of the pet food industry, an old
trusted name, has also gone the cheap protein route. The only real
solution is to find a pet food where QUALITY and control over quality
is important. I researched it myself because I didn't know what to
feed my pets. I found a pet food formulated by a vet (ironically, the
same vet who created the ORIGINAL formulations for IAM's and Hills'
Science). She maintains control over the food, sells it strictly by
home delivery because she doesn't trust stores to store it properly or
not to store it to the point of staleness. She even does weekly
conference phone calls where people can call in with questions about
their pet's nutrition, or just listen if you want. Anyone that wants
info, just email me )
Our pets depend on us to make the right decisions about their food!
Joanne

cybercat
April 30th 07, 05:18 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
> by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done.

I agree with Phil. I feel Purina, and my cats have never been in better
health. Fancy Feast is now owned by Nestle-Purina, and the dry I
feed is Purina One.

I am not saying that it could never happen that Purina has a problem,
but it has not happened yet.

mariib via CatKB.com
April 30th 07, 06:53 PM
cybercat wrote:
>> I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
>> by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done.
>
>I agree with Phil. I feel Purina, and my cats have never been in better
>health. Fancy Feast is now owned by Nestle-Purina, and the dry I
>feed is Purina One.
>
>I am not saying that it could never happen that Purina has a problem,
>but it has not happened yet.

that we know of --- yet ---- I'm also feeding Purina, but having started to
read some of the blogs & info being leaked, I'm nervous & not just about pet
foods. Too many conglomerates, too little control & lots of misinformation.
So far, my cats are healthy but I look everyday at the recall lists.
M.

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

chatnoir
April 30th 07, 07:46 PM
On Apr 30, 10:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
> > by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done.
>
> I agree with Phil. I feel Purina, and my cats have never been in better
> health. Fancy Feast is now owned by Nestle-Purina, and the dry I
> feed is Purina One.

There must be something addictive in Purina One! When I have that,
The cats will eat it in preference to the dry food I feel is mcuh more
healthy!


>
> I am not saying that it could never happen that Purina has a problem,
> but it has not happened yet.

jmc
May 1st 07, 09:56 PM
Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (01-May-07 4:16 AM):
> On Apr 30, 10:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>>> I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
>>> by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done.
>> I agree with Phil. I feel Purina, and my cats have never been in better
>> health. Fancy Feast is now owned by Nestle-Purina, and the dry I
>> feed is Purina One.
>
> There must be something addictive in Purina One! When I have that,
> The cats will eat it in preference to the dry food I feel is mcuh more
> healthy!
>
>
>> I am not saying that it could never happen that Purina has a problem,
>> but it has not happened yet.
>
>

Must be the same thing in cat food as people food: healthy <> tasty.
My last vet called Meep a Junk Food Junkie because of her wet food
choices. Does that "ick" foot-shake thing when I'd put down the healthy
stuff, and won't touch it even if she's starvin'. To her "this ain't food!"

jmc

barb
May 1st 07, 10:18 PM
It has happened with Purina. In the seventies there was a problem with the
cans. I never used any Purina anything ever again. A Siamese cat that I
had adopted because he had been a show cat but was neutered so could no
longer be shown. He died very suddenly before I could even get him to the
vet. The Purina situation was in the news at the time. I know that whoever
worked there is probably long gone now and it's probably a very different
story.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

cybercat
May 1st 07, 10:43 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
...
> Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (01-May-07 4:16 AM):
>> On Apr 30, 10:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> > wrote in message
>>>
>>> oups.com...
>>>
>>>> I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
>>>> by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done.
>>> I agree with Phil. I feel Purina, and my cats have never been in better
>>> health. Fancy Feast is now owned by Nestle-Purina, and the dry I
>>> feed is Purina One.
>>
>> There must be something addictive in Purina One! When I have that,
>> The cats will eat it in preference to the dry food I feel is mcuh more
>> healthy!
>>
>>
>>> I am not saying that it could never happen that Purina has a problem,
>>> but it has not happened yet.
>>
>>
>
> Must be the same thing in cat food as people food: healthy <> tasty. My
> last vet called Meep a Junk Food Junkie because of her wet food choices.
> Does that "ick" foot-shake thing when I'd put down the healthy stuff, and
> won't touch it even if she's starvin'. To her "this ain't food!"
>

Purina IS healthy food. Food can be healthy AND taste good.

cybercat
May 1st 07, 10:46 PM
"barb" > wrote in message
...
> It has happened with Purina. In the seventies there was a problem with
> the
> cans. I never used any Purina anything ever again. A Siamese cat that I
> had adopted because he had been a show cat but was neutered so could no
> longer be shown. He died very suddenly before I could even get him to the
> vet. The Purina situation was in the news at the time. I know that
> whoever
> worked there is probably long gone now and it's probably a very different
> story.
>

I was around back then, though a child.

In any case, my apologies to those who it offends, but the Purina One dry
and Nestle/Purina Fancy Feast cat food I have been feeding my cats for
a long time has not made them sick.

I'm kind of happy about that. I hope you all understand.

It was pure luck that I was feeding that, instead of one of the brands
that used tainted grains--that and the fact that I have a cat who has
a wheat allergy, so I read the labels and don't feed her anything
that has wheat in it.

CatNipped[_2_]
May 1st 07, 11:20 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "barb" > wrote in message
> ...
>> It has happened with Purina. In the seventies there was a problem with
>> the
>> cans. I never used any Purina anything ever again. A Siamese cat that I
>> had adopted because he had been a show cat but was neutered so could no
>> longer be shown. He died very suddenly before I could even get him to
>> the
>> vet. The Purina situation was in the news at the time. I know that
>> whoever
>> worked there is probably long gone now and it's probably a very different
>> story.
>>
>
> I was around back then, though a child.
>
> In any case, my apologies to those who it offends, but the Purina One dry
> and Nestle/Purina Fancy Feast cat food I have been feeding my cats for
> a long time has not made them sick.
>
> I'm kind of happy about that. I hope you all understand.
>
> It was pure luck that I was feeding that, instead of one of the brands
> that used tainted grains--that and the fact that I have a cat who has
> a wheat allergy, so I read the labels and don't feed her anything
> that has wheat in it.

I had listened to my vet for years and years and only fed mine SD dry
(didn't clue to the fact that he also sold that brand - DUH!!). It was only
when Bandit was so badly burned at the vet and wouldn't eat that I tried
tempting her with a variety of smelly (to me) canned foods and hit on FF as
being the most desired. I was worried that it wouldn't meet their
nutritional needs so I researched it - be damned if it wasn't better for
them than the SD!!! OK, no-brainer, they loved it and it was good for them!

Hugs,

CatNipped

chatnoir
May 3rd 07, 11:17 PM
On May 1, 3:43 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> > Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (01-May-07 4:16 AM):
> >> On Apr 30, 10:18 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >>> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >>>> I've got to agree with blkcatgal, you CAN'T trust any of the old stand-
> >>>> by name brand pet food anymore. Look at what they have done.
> >>> I agree with Phil. I feel Purina, and my cats have never been in better
> >>> health. Fancy Feast is now owned by Nestle-Purina, and the dry I
> >>> feed is Purina One.
>
> >> There must be something addictive in Purina One! When I have that,
> >> The cats will eat it in preference to the dry food I feel is mcuh more
> >> healthy!
>
> >>> I am not saying that it could never happen that Purina has a problem,
> >>> but it has not happened yet.
>
> > Must be the same thing in cat food as people food: healthy <> tasty. My
> > last vet called Meep a Junk Food Junkie because of her wet food choices.
> > Does that "ick" foot-shake thing when I'd put down the healthy stuff, and
> > won't touch it even if she's starvin'. To her "this ain't food!"
>
> Purina IS healthy food. Food can be healthy AND taste good.

So is Potato Chips - LOL