PDA

View Full Version : Tortoise Shells and Tumors

Infected_applez@yahoo.com
April 30th 07, 11:47 PM
Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
I have farm cats and the first 2 came from my shot-up, dewormed cats
(different mothers and fathers, then one came from another litter of
farm cats, then the other 2 came from 2 different shelters and were
also shot-up and dewormed. So 3 had shots and 1 didn't. Also the 3 of
the 4 cats were under 9 months old, but Kleo my living tortios shell,
is almost a year old and she is pregnate I just found a lump on her
today. So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
mean.

May 1st 07, 03:11 AM
wrote:
> Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
> develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
> tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
> have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
> I have farm cats and the first 2 came from my shot-up, dewormed cats
> (different mothers and fathers, then one came from another litter of
> farm cats, then the other 2 came from 2 different shelters and were
> also shot-up and dewormed. So 3 had shots and 1 didn't. Also the 3 of
> the 4 cats were under 9 months old, but Kleo my living tortios shell,
> is almost a year old and she is pregnate I just found a lump on her
> today. So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
> I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
> were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
> mean.

I assume all your torties are female (9999 out of 10000 torties are) and
that you do not get them spayed (you mention pregnancy). Female cats
that have had litters are prone to certain tumors. Maybe it is just the
statistics of that at work.

I am curious to read other responses as I have a tortie who is about 7
years old and is spayed. No tumors. (Knock on wood.)

Spot
May 1st 07, 03:27 AM
My mom has an 16 year old tortie who has no tumors either but then she was
spayed at 6 months of age to.

Celeste

"q" > wrote in message
>> Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
>> develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
>> tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
>> have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
>> I have farm cats and the first 2 came from my shot-up, dewormed cats
>> (different mothers and fathers, then one came from another litter of
>> farm cats, then the other 2 came from 2 different shelters and were
>> also shot-up and dewormed. So 3 had shots and 1 didn't. Also the 3 of
>> the 4 cats were under 9 months old, but Kleo my living tortios shell,
>> is almost a year old and she is pregnate I just found a lump on her
>> today. So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
>> I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
>> were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
>> mean.
>>

> I assume all your torties are female (9999 out of 10000 torties are) and
> that you do not get them spayed (you mention pregnancy). Female cats that
> have had litters are prone to certain tumors. Maybe it is just the
> statistics of that at work.
>
> I am curious to read other responses as I have a tortie who is about 7
> years old and is spayed. No tumors. (Knock on wood.)

April Bruce
May 1st 07, 04:24 AM
On Apr 30, 9:27 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> My mom has an 16 year old tortie who has no tumors either but then she was
> spayed at 6 months of age to.
>
> Celeste
>
> "q" > wrote in message

> > wrote:
> >> Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
> >> develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
> >> tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
> >> have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
> >> I have farm cats and the first 2 came from my shot-up, dewormed cats
> >> (different mothers and fathers, then one came from another litter of
> >> farm cats, then the other 2 came from 2 different shelters and were
> >> also shot-up and dewormed. So 3 had shots and 1 didn't. Also the 3 of
> >> the 4 cats were under 9 months old, but Kleo my living tortios shell,
> >> is almost a year old and she is pregnate I just found a lump on her
> >> today. So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
> >> I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
> >> were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
> >> mean.
>
> > I assume all your torties are female (9999 out of 10000 torties are) and
> > that you do not get them spayed (you mention pregnancy). Female cats that
> > have had litters are prone to certain tumors. Maybe it is just the
> > statistics of that at work.
>
> > I am curious to read other responses as I have a tortie who is about 7
> > years old and is spayed. No tumors. (Knock on wood.)- Hide quoted text -

Ok so I'm takeing it that I just have poor luck with tortiose shells,
Umm no they were not speyed but none of them had any litters, Kleo is
the first to get pregnate. See your thinking that I get pregnacy's all
the time but I don't because we get the males neuterd, This time we
had a stray caming around that got all my females pregnate, he has
been caught and fixed. But I'll most deffenatly get my nexed tortoise
shell speyed. I just love Tortoise shell cats they are so loving and
beautiful. Thank you for your responce.

May 1st 07, 06:14 AM
April Bruce wrote:
I just love Tortoise shell cats they are so loving and
> beautiful. Thank you for your responce.

Yes, they are (mine is right here in my lap now.) Not only that but you
can find a picture of one in almost every college Biology or Genetics
textbook; they illustrate a very important biological phenomenon that
actually applies to all female mammals.
Because some cat coat color genes are on their sex chromosomes, you can
see this phenomenon at work in torties.

silvercelt
May 1st 07, 06:59 AM
I work in a vets and it is not common for them to be torties. Are
yours all from same family line?

April Bruce
May 1st 07, 12:56 PM
On May 1, 12:59 am, silvercelt > wrote:
> I work in a vets and it is not common for them to be torties. Are
> yours all from same family line?

No they are not from the same family line 2 came from my farm
different mothers and fathers then 1 from another neiboring farm and
the other 2 from a shelter different litters. They all have been about
1-2 years apart. I would think its just my luck, But I have many other
cats like Tabby's, Standerd Calico, Snow Calico, Orange Tabby's, and
Blue Russians, and one part Persian none of them cats have had tumors
Except my half persian who has a cist on her neck, but its not life
threatening. It's always my Tortiose shells. Just my luck.

bookie
May 1st 07, 01:27 PM
On 1 May, 12:56, April Bruce > wrote:
> On May 1, 12:59 am, silvercelt > wrote:
>
> > I work in a vets and it is not common for them to be torties. Are
> > yours all from same family line?
>
> No they are not from the same family line 2 came from my farm
> different mothers and fathers then 1 from another neiboring farm and
> the other 2 from a shelter different litters. They all have been about
> 1-2 years apart. I would think its just my luck, But I have many other
> cats like Tabby's, Standerd Calico, Snow Calico, Orange Tabby's, and
> Blue Russians, and one part Persian none of them cats have had tumors
> Except my half persian who has a cist on her neck, but its not life
> threatening. It's always my Tortiose shells. Just my luck.

we had a tortie who died last summer after developing a tumour in her
stomach, previous to that she lived a very full and happy life and
lived to the age of 17years so we jsut thought that the tumour was
just down to old age. she was spayed btw

i have 2 torties with me now, jessie, tortie and white what you prob
call calico, she is 16 or 17, not sure as she is a rescue cat, no
tumours but does have hyperthyroidism. also terri, dark tortie, only 7
or 8 (again not sure as another rescue puss) no tumours but we ahve
not had her long enough to really know

maybe you just have bad luck?

bookie

mariib via CatKB.com
May 1st 07, 03:19 PM
wrote:
>Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
>develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
>tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
>have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
>I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
>were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
>mean.

Hi,
I had a beautiful orange & black tortoiseshell Whiskey who lived with me for
16-1/2 years - she was a rescue & probably 6 months to 1 year when I got her.
She was perfectly healthy thruout her life, never needed any treatment other
than spaying & vaccinations, was very loving & loyal (once she settled down &
trusted me) to me & my kids who first started arriving when she'd been with
me 4-1/2 years, & a total terror to anyone else who came around. Her death
wasn't related to illness & was completely unexpected.
M.

Fuga :o\)
May 1st 07, 03:50 PM
It's not just a cat getting pregnant that will cause cancer. It's a cat
that goes through heat cycles. Any female cat that isn't spayed is more
likely to develop cancer and pyometria.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok this may be odd but every time I get a tortoise shell cat they will
> develop tumors in the abdoman. The last five tortoise shells have had
> tumors I was wondering if it has to do with their breed or if I just
> have bad luck with tortoise shell cats.
> I have farm cats and the first 2 came from my shot-up, dewormed cats
> (different mothers and fathers, then one came from another litter of
> farm cats, then the other 2 came from 2 different shelters and were
> also shot-up and dewormed. So 3 had shots and 1 didn't. Also the 3 of
> the 4 cats were under 9 months old, but Kleo my living tortios shell,
> is almost a year old and she is pregnate I just found a lump on her
> today. So if anyone that knows much about tortoise shells could reply
> I would be deeply greatful. Also the tortoise shells that I have had
> were not bred for their breed thay just happened...if you know what I
> mean.

PawsForThought
May 1st 07, 06:41 PM
I have a 7 year old tortie female. She has not had any tumors. She
was the runt of the litter and was also vaccinated very young. She
has developed asthma, which is believed to be an immune mediated
disease. Other than the asthma, she is doing very well.

To the OP, torties are not a breed, but rather a color. Interesting
how some say that torties have distinct personality traits. I
remember the first time I brought her to the vet and the vet said
"tories are known for being cranky." Funny, but that is the total
opposite of my cat. She has to be the gentlest, sweetest cat I've
ever had. You just look at her and she purrs. She loves to lay in
your lap too. The only thing she doesn't like is to be picked up. I
call her my "ground kitty"

Mark
May 3rd 07, 12:21 AM
q > wrote in message
> April Bruce wrote:
> I just love Tortoise shell cats they are so loving and
> > beautiful. Thank you for your responce.
> >

> Yes, they are (mine is right here in my lap now.)

So is mine, in fact she now seems to spend most of her time stuck to my lap.
My tortie http://i17.tinypic.com/52crxjm.jpg
will be 23 this year she is now quite deaf and a bit wobbly on her legs,
thankfully still very healthy and tumour free.

-

cybercat
May 3rd 07, 12:47 AM
"Mark" > wrote in message

> So is mine, in fact she now seems to spend most of her time stuck to my
> lap.
> My tortie http://i17.tinypic.com/52crxjm.jpg
> will be 23 this year she is now quite deaf and a bit wobbly on her legs,
> thankfully still very healthy and tumour free.

23!! What a Grand Dame! You're so lucky. She looks very happy.