PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making cat food?

Ken Knecht
May 2nd 07, 04:22 PM
I'm gathering the ingredients to make my own cat food and if someone here
is doing this I have a few questions.

No, not recipes, I have those.

Like do you feed the same amount as you did the previous canned and dry
foods? (My cat is on a diet and I give her 1/4 cup of food in each of
three meals.) I suppose it depends on the ingredients.

Recipes call for large amounts. I have only one cat. What's a convenient
way to store food? Containers? Small versions of those plastic-lidded
containers I use for my leftovers? How long does it last in the
refrigerator? Canned food seems to still be ok for at least six days
since I divide a can into six portions each fed once a day - the rest of
her food is dry. Again, I suppose it depends on the ingredients. I plan
to start with raw ground turkey plus other stuff. I figure on freezing
portions large enough for two days feeding so it would only have to last
two days. Maybe larger more convenient three- or four-day batches would
work ok? Or, since the meat is raw, must I make only one-day batches?

I currently feed anti-hairball foods mostly. Is there any way to do this
with home-made food? Metamucil seems to help, but I'm not sure how that
affects the cat (1/2 tsp a day, a 1/4 tsp doesn't do it for her). (Yes, I
brush her every day.) It's just fiber so I'd think it would be harmless
in reasonable quantities (hasn't hurt me and I've taken it for very many
years). The vet didn't comment when I mentioned it and I've seen it
mentioned as a hairball preventative in cat books. I've been using it for
many months.

What about making up for the ingredient in dry food that helps keep the
cat's teeth clean? Probably nothing I can do about that, unless there's a
way to concoct your own dry food.

I'll probably have more questions once I get started. Then again. maybe
she won't eat it. She's never been very fussy though, so I'm hoping.
After the news during the past few weeks, I'd feel much better if I knew
exactly what I was feeding her.

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

cindys
May 2nd 07, 04:59 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message

snip

> Recipes call for large amounts. I have only one cat. What's a convenient
> way to store food? Containers? Small versions of those plastic-lidded
> containers I use for my leftovers? How long does it last in the
> refrigerator? Canned food seems to still be ok for at least six days
> since I divide a can into six portions each fed once a day - the rest of
> her food is dry. Again, I suppose it depends on the ingredients. I plan
> to start with raw ground turkey plus other stuff.
------------
I would never give my cats raw fish or raw poultry. You are risking
salmonella poisoning. Statistically, a significant percentage of raw poultry
and fish (sold in the USA anyway) was found to have salmonella when tested.
I would cook the turkey first.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Ken Knecht
May 2nd 07, 05:14 PM
"cindys" > wrote in
:

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>
> snip
>>
>> Recipes call for large amounts. I have only one cat. What's a
>> convenient way to store food? Containers? Small versions of those
>> plastic-lidded containers I use for my leftovers? How long does it
>> last in the refrigerator? Canned food seems to still be ok for at
>> least six days since I divide a can into six portions each fed once a
>> day - the rest of her food is dry. Again, I suppose it depends on the
>> ingredients. I plan to start with raw ground turkey plus other stuff.
> ------------
> I would never give my cats raw fish or raw poultry. You are risking
> salmonella poisoning. Statistically, a significant percentage of raw
> poultry and fish (sold in the USA anyway) was found to have salmonella
> when tested. I would cook the turkey first.
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

The author of the book I am using, _Complete Guide to Natural Health for
Dogs and Cats_ by Richard Pitcairn DVM, says "... you would probably do
well to emphasize turkey and lamb. ..." and "Feed meat raw whenever
possible if the animal will accept it." So far in my reading I've only
seen him mention salmonella with regard to feeding raw eggs. He says this
is very unlikely to happen and he's not seen it in his practice.

I appreciate you are trying to help me and I will research this. I've
certainly read bad things about poultry and salmonella elsewhere.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

sheelagh
May 2nd 07, 05:24 PM
On 2 May, 16:22, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> I'm gathering the ingredients to make my own cat food and if someone here
> is doing this I have a few questions.
>
> No, not recipes, I have those.
>
> Like do you feed the same amount as you did the previous canned and dry
> foods? (My cat is on a diet and I give her 1/4 cup of food in each of
> three meals.) I suppose it depends on the ingredients.
>
> Recipes call for large amounts. I have only one cat. What's a convenient
> way to store food? Containers? Small versions of those plastic-lidded
> containers I use for my leftovers? How long does it last in the
> refrigerator? Canned food seems to still be ok for at least six days
> since I divide a can into six portions each fed once a day - the rest of
> her food is dry. Again, I suppose it depends on the ingredients. I plan
> to start with raw ground turkey plus other stuff. I figure on freezing
> portions large enough for two days feeding so it would only have to last
> two days. Maybe larger more convenient three- or four-day batches would
> work ok? Or, since the meat is raw, must I make only one-day batches?
>
> I currently feed anti-hairball foods mostly. Is there any way to do this
> with home-made food? Metamucil seems to help, but I'm not sure how that
> affects the cat (1/2 tsp a day, a 1/4 tsp doesn't do it for her). (Yes, I
> brush her every day.) It's just fiber so I'd think it would be harmless
> in reasonable quantities (hasn't hurt me and I've taken it for very many
> years). The vet didn't comment when I mentioned it and I've seen it
> mentioned as a hairball preventative in cat books. I've been using it for
> many months.
>
> What about making up for the ingredient in dry food that helps keep the
> cat's teeth clean? Probably nothing I can do about that, unless there's a
> way to concoct your own dry food.
>
> I'll probably have more questions once I get started. Then again. maybe
> she won't eat it. She's never been very fussy though, so I'm hoping.
> After the news during the past few weeks, I'd feel much better if I knew
> exactly what I was feeding her.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

You also need to make sure that your food contains everything that a
cat needs to ensure good health too. Taurine is (one of many) a very
important must have in their diet, to stop blindness and anemia. You
can get supplements, but I think you would have to administer that to
your cat orally rather than try & compound it into the food.
Just a thought!
S;o)

Ken Knecht
May 2nd 07, 05:39 PM
sheelagh > wrote in
ups.com:

> On 2 May, 16:22, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>> I'm gathering the ingredients to make my own cat food and if someone
>> here is doing this I have a few questions.
>>
>> No, not recipes, I have those.
>>
>> Like do you feed the same amount as you did the previous canned and
>> dry foods? (My cat is on a diet and I give her 1/4 cup of food in
>> each of three meals.) I suppose it depends on the ingredients.
>>
>> Recipes call for large amounts. I have only one cat. What's a
>> convenient way to store food? Containers? Small versions of those
>> plastic-lidded containers I use for my leftovers? How long does it
>> last in the refrigerator? Canned food seems to still be ok for at
>> least six days since I divide a can into six portions each fed once a
>> day - the rest of her food is dry. Again, I suppose it depends on the
>> ingredients. I plan to start with raw ground turkey plus other stuff.
>> I figure on freezing portions large enough for two days feeding so it
>> would only have to last two days. Maybe larger more convenient three-
>> or four-day batches would work ok? Or, since the meat is raw, must I
>> make only one-day batches?
>>
>> I currently feed anti-hairball foods mostly. Is there any way to do
>> this with home-made food? Metamucil seems to help, but I'm not sure
>> how that affects the cat (1/2 tsp a day, a 1/4 tsp doesn't do it for
>> her). (Yes, I brush her every day.) It's just fiber so I'd think it
>> would be harmless in reasonable quantities (hasn't hurt me and I've
>> taken it for very many years). The vet didn't comment when I
>> mentioned it and I've seen it mentioned as a hairball preventative in
>> cat books. I've been using it for many months.
>>
>> What about making up for the ingredient in dry food that helps keep
>> the cat's teeth clean? Probably nothing I can do about that, unless
>> there's a way to concoct your own dry food.
>>
>> I'll probably have more questions once I get started. Then again.
>> maybe she won't eat it. She's never been very fussy though, so I'm
>> hoping. After the news during the past few weeks, I'd feel much
>> better if I knew exactly what I was feeding her.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> Every silver lining has a cloud.
>
> You also need to make sure that your food contains everything that a
> cat needs to ensure good health too. Taurine is (one of many) a very
> important must have in their diet, to stop blindness and anemia. You
> can get supplements, but I think you would have to administer that to
> your cat orally rather than try & compound it into the food.
> Just a thought!
> S;o)

Yes, the book I'm using (see author and title info in another message)
covers taurine and other necessary additives. AFAIK it can be added to
the food but I'll check on that. Commercial cat food has it mixed into
the food. (Interestingly, the two Iams dry foods I am currently feeding
do not list taurine on the ingredients list, though the Science Diet dry
and canned foods do. Hmmmm.)

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

PawsForThought
May 2nd 07, 06:13 PM
On May 2, 11:59 am, "cindys" > wrote:
> ------------
> I would never give my cats raw fish or raw poultry. You are risking
> salmonella poisoning. Statistically, a significant percentage of raw poultry
> and fish (sold in the USA anyway) was found to have salmonella when tested.
> I would cook the turkey first.

Hi Cindy,
I've been feeding my cats a homemade raw diet for 7 years now, and
never had a bought of salmonella poisoning. I also co-moderate a
large list and don't recall ever hearing about anyone's cats getting
salmonella. Cats are carnivores and are designed to eat raw meat.
They are different than humans as to their getting salmonella. Cats
have a much more acidic and shorter intestinal tract that we do. It
takes us about 50 hours to digest meat, whereas it only takes a cat
about 12 hours, or even less. A properly handled raw diet has less
bacteria than many commercial foods (just look at what's going on in
the commerical petfood industry).

Here is a site that has some very good information:

http://www.catinfo.org/#Home-Prepared_Diets

Lauren

cindys
May 2nd 07, 06:26 PM
Okay, thank you.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"PawsForThought" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 2, 11:59 am, "cindys" > wrote:
>> ------------
>> I would never give my cats raw fish or raw poultry. You are risking
>> salmonella poisoning. Statistically, a significant percentage of raw
>> poultry
>> and fish (sold in the USA anyway) was found to have salmonella when
>> tested.
>> I would cook the turkey first.
>
> Hi Cindy,
> I've been feeding my cats a homemade raw diet for 7 years now, and
> never had a bought of salmonella poisoning. I also co-moderate a
> large list and don't recall ever hearing about anyone's cats getting
> salmonella. Cats are carnivores and are designed to eat raw meat.
> They are different than humans as to their getting salmonella. Cats
> have a much more acidic and shorter intestinal tract that we do. It
> takes us about 50 hours to digest meat, whereas it only takes a cat
> about 12 hours, or even less. A properly handled raw diet has less
> bacteria than many commercial foods (just look at what's going on in
> the commerical petfood industry).
>
> Here is a site that has some very good information:
>
> http://www.catinfo.org/#Home-Prepared_Diets
>
> Lauren

sheelagh
May 2nd 07, 07:14 PM
On 2 May, 17:39, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> [...]
> > important must have in their diet, to stop blindness and anemia. You
> > can get supplements, but I think you would have to administer that to
> > your cat orally rather than try & compound it into the food.
> > Just a thought!
> > S;o)
>
> Yes, the book I'm using (see author and title info in another message)
> covers taurine and other necessary additives. AFAIK it can be added to
> the food but I'll check on that. Commercial cat food has it mixed into
> the food. (Interestingly, the two Iams dry foods I am currently feeding
> do not list taurine on the ingredients list, though the Science Diet dry
> and canned foods do. Hmmmm.)
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for pointing that one out to me. I very often use Iams kitty
if we have any here to look after, but I have never noticed that
before.
I will have a look at them next time we have to go and clear out
[email protected] on a cat food food mission just to see who does, & who
doesn't too...
S;o)

Rene S.
May 2nd 07, 07:57 PM

> >> What about making up for the ingredient in dry food that helps keep
> >> the cat's teeth clean? Probably nothing I can do about that, unless
> >> there's a way to concoct your own dry food.

The natural enzymes in raw food will do a great job of cleaning your
cat's teeth. Also, if you read the web site that Lauren suggested
(catinfo), she leaves some of the meat in larger pieces, forcing the
cat to do some chewing.

> > You also need to make sure that your food contains everything that a
> > cat needs to ensure good health too. Taurine is (one of many) a very
> > important must have in their diet, to stop blindness and anemia. You
> > can get supplements, but I think you would have to administer that to
> > your cat orally rather than try & compound it into the food.

Raw meat and bones (you need both) will have taurine in them
naturally. There's no need to add a supplement.

I don't make my own, but I feed Nature's Variety raw and have read and
re-read the cat info site. If you follow her recipe, the supplements
you add are minimal because the nutrients are coming from the raw
diet. Commercial canned/dry food needs to add supplmements because
cooking the food removes the nutrients.

Ken Knecht
May 2nd 07, 11:11 PM
sheelagh > wrote in
oups.com:

> On 2 May, 17:39, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>> sheelagh > wrote
>> roups.com:

>> > You also need to make sure that your food contains everything that
>> > a cat needs to ensure good health too. Taurine is (one of many) a
>> > very important must have in their diet, to stop blindness and
>> > anemia. You can get supplements, but I think you would have to
>> > administer that to your cat orally rather than try & compound it
>> > into the food. Just a thought!
>> > S;o)
>>
>> Yes, the book I'm using (see author and title info in another
>> message) covers taurine and other necessary additives. AFAIK it can
>> be added to the food but I'll check on that. Commercial cat food has
>> it mixed into the food. (Interestingly, the two Iams dry foods I am
>> currently feeding do not list taurine on the ingredients list, though
>> the Science Diet dry and canned foods do. Hmmmm.)
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> Every silver lining has a cloud.- Hide quoted text -

> Thank you for pointing that one out to me. I very often use Iams kitty
> if we have any here to look after, but I have never noticed that
> before.
> I will have a look at them next time we have to go and clear out
> [email protected] on a cat food food mission just to see who does, & who
> doesn't too...
> S;o)

Sorry, I blew it. True, taurine is not listed in the Iams dry food
ingredients list, as it is in Science Diet, but underneath that list is
another fine-print paragraph titled _Guaranteed Analysis_ and in _that_
group it says taurine content not less than 0.015%. So it certainly does
include taurine and I was wrong. Doesn't say what ingedient included the
taurine though.

Sorry. Let's just blame it on old age.

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

sheelagh
May 3rd 07, 12:49 AM
On 2 May, 23:11, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> sheelagh > wrote groups.com:
>

> > On 2 May, 17:39, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> >> sheelagh > wrote
> >> roups.com:

> >> Yes, the book I'm using (see author and title info in another
> >> message) covers taurine and other necessary additives. AFAIK it can
> >> be added to the food but I'll check on that. Commercial cat food has
> >> it mixed into the food. (Interestingly, the two Iams dry foods I am
> >> currently feeding do not list taurine on the ingredients list, though
> >> the Science Diet dry and canned foods do. Hmmmm.)
>
> >> Ken
>
> >> --
> >> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> >> Every silver lining has a cloud.- Hide quoted text -

> > Thank you for pointing that one out to me. I very often use Iams kitty
> > if we have any here to look after, but I have never noticed that
> > before.
> > I will have a look at them next time we have to go and clear out
> > [email protected] on a cat food food mission just to see who does, & who
> > doesn't too...
> > S;o)
>
> Sorry, I blew it. True, taurine is not listed in the Iams dry food
> ingredients list, as it is in Science Diet, but underneath that list is
> another fine-print paragraph titled _Guaranteed Analysis_ and in _that_
> group it says taurine content not less than 0.015%. So it certainly does
> include taurine and I was wrong. Doesn't say what ingedient included the
> taurine though.
>
> Sorry. Let's just blame it on old age.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.- Hide quoted text -

We all make mistakes... I just happen to be better @ it that most
people LOL;o)

Doesn't say what ingredient included the
> taurine though.

I hate to think.
Personally, that is one of those need to know things, & right now, I
don't need to know...

I really do hope that this project does go well for you. You certainly
seem to be asking the right questions regarding your research.
Good Luck,
S;o)