PDA

View Full Version : Help - Strange Behavior Upon Returning to teh Vet

May 3rd 07, 02:15 AM
I'm hoping someone can help.
We have 2 strictly indoor cats (Peeper and Big Kitty). A little back
history, Big Kitty is 10 and Peeper is going to be 4. They've lived
together since Peeper was a baby, been to the vet, moved houses twice
and have not exhibited the behavior below.
Peeper had a vet appt. today as she refuse to eat the dry food she has
been on forever about 2 months ago. We switched food, she ate that
and now last week she stopped eating that. The first day i gave her
wet food she ate it. The next day she turned her nose up at it and we
gave her tuna fish. She ate it but the next day when i tried to give
her the tuna fish again she wouldn't eat it. She is eating a little
but not as much as normal. She's going to the bathroom and not
throwing up. The vet did an x-ray and a blood test and found nothing
negative. She said to put the food out for 10 min. in the a.m. 10
min. at lunch and 10 min. at dinner to see how much she will eat if it
isn't sitting out all day and if she's hungry. She also said to watch
for any kind of vomit and to check to make sure she's going to the
bathroom.
She was very good and friendly at the vet and with me.
I had an appt. today right after we got done with the vet appt. so i
was only home about 20 minutes after i got Peeper back home. A friend
of mine is doing some work on the inside of our house. So, i left,
come home 3 hours later and have a message from him that he had to
leave becaause the cats have been acting strangely, screaming and
hissing at each other and they had done that the previous day (they
were alone with him then too for about 4 hours so i don't think it is
because he is a starnager in our house). Anyhow, he told me he was
working on the front door and that Peeper stood on our landing
overhead and was hissing and screaming at him with her fur standing up
and he left because he was afraid she was going to attack him. I
found this so hard to believe becuase Peeper lovees everyone. SHe's
not a skittish cat at all and will rub anyone's leg, sit on anyone's
lap, let anyone pet her and loves to be the center of attention. But,
shortly after i got home and petted Peeper, the other cat Big Kitty
started creeping up from the basement and Peeper saw her and freaked
out, i have never heard that sound come out of a cat before, hissing
screaming, etc. The other cat ran right back downstairs. I tried to
comfort Peeper and give her her favorite treat to calm her down. When
i came near her she hissed and screamed at me and i ran out to the
porch becuase i thought she was going to attack me. 10 minutes later
she was at the screen door rubbing against it and purring at me. This
has gone on all day where Big Kitty creeps upstairs, Peeper sees her
and she freaks out. I don't know what to do to get them to move past
this. My husband tried to bring one cat next to the other and they
both go crazy, like nothing i have ever seen. My friend is supposed
to come back and continue work tomorrow on our house and I'm worried
Peeper is gong to flip out when he come over. Can anyone tell me what
could possibly be causing this and what to do about it? I'm also
worried that it's a sign that there is something really wrong with
her. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 3rd 07, 02:28 AM
wrote:
> [...]
> comfort Peeper and give her her favorite treat to calm her down. When
> i came near her she hissed and screamed at me and i ran out to the
> porch becuase i thought she was going to attack me. 10 minutes later
> she was at the screen door rubbing against it and purring at me. This
> has gone on all day where Big Kitty creeps upstairs, Peeper sees her
> and she freaks out. I don't know what to do to get them to move past
> this. My husband tried to bring one cat next to the other and they
> both go crazy, like nothing i have ever seen. My friend is supposed
> to come back and continue work tomorrow on our house and I'm worried
> Peeper is gong to flip out when he come over. Can anyone tell me what
> could possibly be causing this and what to do about it? I'm also
> worried that it's a sign that there is something really wrong with
> her. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The vet visits give pets a different scent... so when they return they
are not recognized.

May 3rd 07, 02:52 AM
On May 2, 9:28 pm, Joe Canuck > wrote:
> [...]
> > i came near her she hissed and screamed at me and i ran out to the
> > porch becuase i thought she was going to attack me. 10 minutes later
> > she was at the screen door rubbing against it and purring at me. This
> > has gone on all day where Big Kitty creeps upstairs, Peeper sees her
> > and she freaks out. I don't know what to do to get them to move past
> > this. My husband tried to bring one cat next to the other and they
> > both go crazy, like nothing i have ever seen. My friend is supposed
> > to come back and continue work tomorrow on our house and I'm worried
> > Peeper is gong to flip out when he come over. Can anyone tell me what
> > could possibly be causing this and what to do about it? I'm also
> > worried that it's a sign that there is something really wrong with
> > her. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
>
> The vet visits give pets a different scent... so when they return they

Thanks, that's what my husband said, but my cat that went to the vet,
the one that would have the different scents, is the one being
agressive and is the one petrified of my other cat (that did not go to
the vet), the cat that for the past four years she has bullied?

Rene S.
May 3rd 07, 04:44 PM
> > The vet visits give pets a different scent... so when they return they
> > are not recognized.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, that's what my husband said, but my cat that went to the vet,
> the one that would have the different scents, is the one being
> agressive and is the one petrified of my other cat (that did not go to
> the vet), the cat that for the past four years she has bullied?

Sometimes it doesn't matter which cat goes to the vet. I have two, and
one will _always_ act aggressively toward the other after either of
them visits the vet's. Even if they both go to the vet's (in separate
carriers) and have the same scents, Cat A will be agressive to Cat B.
Why don't you try separating them for a day or two and slowly
reintroduce them (I give treats to both on either sides of the door.)
You can also spray some Feliway around to calm them.

May 4th 07, 12:17 AM
On 3 May, 16:44, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > > The vet visits give pets a different scent... so when they return they
> > > are not recognized.- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks, that's what my husband said, but my cat that went to the vet,
> > the one that would have the different scents, is the one being
> > agressive and is the one petrified of my other cat (that did not go to
> > the vet), the cat that for the past four years she has bullied?
>
> Sometimes it doesn't matter which cat goes to the vet. I have two, and
> one will _always_ act aggressively toward the other after either of
> them visits the vet's. Even if they both go to the vet's (in separate
> carriers) and have the same scents, Cat A will be agressive to Cat B.
> Why don't you try separating them for a day or two and slowly
> reintroduce them (I give treats to both on either sides of the door.)
> You can also spray some Feliway around to calm them.

I would recommend Feliway too. It really does work. I have used it
several times when we have gone past plan z, & It has worked every
time for us. I find it also calms down queens that are moved here near
their EDD. It wonderful stuff, I assure you.
K.