PDA

View Full Version : USING DEODERIZER IN LITTER BOX-HARMFUL TO CAT???

May 3rd 07, 07:33 PM
I recently had to put-down my 7 year old domestic short hair due to
kidney failure. This was right around the time of the scare. The
food was Iams, Weight Control w/hairball care-not on the list. I have
another cat who's since been given the once-over by a vet, and all is
fine. I have no reason to suspect the food. I ocassionally spray air
freshner frebreze near and in the litter box in small quantities.
Could this have killed my cat? The cat had been vomiting for at least
a year. We thought nothing of it. Would chemicals such as these
cause immediate illness or long-term degenerative ones like kidney
failure. I'm feeling very guilty right now and need some closure. Am
I right in thinking that liver failure would be caused first? I look
forward to any and all responses. Thank you so much...Joe

Rene S.
May 3rd 07, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
yourself up over using Febreze. I found this:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.

May 3rd 07, 09:06 PM
On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
> yourself up over using Febreze. I found this:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp
>
> Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
> some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.

Rene: Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.
Ocassionally I would use Target Cinnamon, but, the end result, I
cannot change. The vet. believes it was genetic. I didn't take the
autopsy route..I would if I had the funding. I'm no stranger to ill
cats. I had a cat with cancer and put him through the whole round of
chemotherapy...only way I had to deal with the problem..his immune
system ultimately stopped responding to the treatment and I had to put
him down..it's tough...our pets are so dear to us..we'll do
anything..I suppose I'm grasping at straws to blame myself...not that
it does any good...thanks for the info. and kind thoughts..Joe

relkins
May 3rd 07, 09:19 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>> I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
>> yourself up over using Febreze. I found
>> this:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp
>>
>> Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
>> some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.
>
> Rene: Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.
> Ocassionally I would use Target Cinnamon, but, the end result, I
> cannot change. The vet. believes it was genetic. I didn't take the
> autopsy route..I would if I had the funding. I'm no stranger to ill
> cats. I had a cat with cancer and put him through the whole round of
> chemotherapy...only way I had to deal with the problem..his immune
> system ultimately stopped responding to the treatment and I had to put
> him down..it's tough...our pets are so dear to us..we'll do
> anything..I suppose I'm grasping at straws to blame myself...not that
> it does any good...thanks for the info. and kind thoughts..Joe

It sounds like your kitty had the best parent he could have asked for! I am
very sorry for your loss. I've lost close pets before, and I can empathize
with you and your sadness. It's never easy losing ones' "furry kid", but
time will pass, the ache will subside and the thought of your dear friend
will bring only feelings of happiness.

Beannachd dhut,

Ryan

May 3rd 07, 10:45 PM
On May 3, 4:19 pm, "relkins" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> >> I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
> >> yourself up over using Febreze. I found
> >> this:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp
>
> >> Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
> >> some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.
>
> > Rene: Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.
> > Ocassionally I would use Target Cinnamon, but, the end result, I
> > cannot change. The vet. believes it was genetic. I didn't take the
> > autopsy route..I would if I had the funding. I'm no stranger to ill
> > cats. I had a cat with cancer and put him through the whole round of
> > chemotherapy...only way I had to deal with the problem..his immune
> > system ultimately stopped responding to the treatment and I had to put
> > him down..it's tough...our pets are so dear to us..we'll do
> > anything..I suppose I'm grasping at straws to blame myself...not that
> > it does any good...thanks for the info. and kind thoughts..Joe
>
> It sounds like your kitty had the best parent he could have asked for! I am
> very sorry for your loss. I've lost close pets before, and I can empathize
> with you and your sadness. It's never easy losing ones' "furry kid", but
> time will pass, the ache will subside and the thought of your dear friend
> will bring only feelings of happiness.
>
> Beannachd dhut,
>
> Ryan- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your kind thoughts....I appreciate it..Joe

sheelagh
May 3rd 07, 11:39 PM
On 3 May, 21:06, wrote:
> On May 3, 4:00 pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry to learn about your kitty's passing. Please don't beat
> > yourself up over using Febreze. I found this:http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp
>
> > Did you have an autopsy done on your cat? Perhaps that could offer you
> > some closure and a possible answer to his kidney failure.
>
> Rene: Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.
> Ocassionally I would use Target Cinnamon, but, the end result, I
> cannot change. The vet. believes it was genetic. I didn't take the
> autopsy route..I would if I had the funding. I'm no stranger to ill
> cats. I had a cat with cancer and put him through the whole round of
> chemotherapy...only way I had to deal with the problem..his immune
> system ultimately stopped responding to the treatment and I had to put
> him down..it's tough...our pets are so dear to us..we'll do
> anything..I suppose I'm grasping at straws to blame myself...not that
> it does any good...thanks for the info. and kind thoughts..Joe

Please don''t beat up on yourself. There is no point doing that, it
brings you no answers or closure and only serves to make you feel
guilty, which is ridiculous. It is plain as the nose on your face that
he was much loved, & cancer & Cronic renal failure is something that
even humans don't always get through. It serves "you" no purpose here!

You did the kindest thing you could do for your cat, which was to let
go of your faithful friend when you knew the time had come. I am more
than certain that it had nothing to do with your deodoriser at all...

When a cat goes into chronic renal failure it is because there is a
problem with the kidneys...nothing else. Possibly the vomiting was due
to the CRN, not the [email protected]!!

I can only tell you that I lost a much beloved cat to the same thing
only last November. He was over 18 years old;older than most of my
children were @ the time, so It crucified me to let him go, but It was
better than continuing to watch him degenerate & loose his dignity any
further. We had him put to sleep by our vet who allowed me to hold him
as he passed away. It was ever so moving, but now that a little time
has passed, I have stopped blaming myself & I recollect the good times
far more often than the bad times.....

I think this is what you need.. time to repair a broken heart. I can't
tell you that it never hurts anymore, but I can tell you that time has
reduced the pain & I think of him fondly every day. He took a piece of
my heart when he crossed that Rainbow Bridge which is his to keep. No
cat could ever replace him, or distract from him either..
But one day you will realise that you have love that you want to share
with another friend who will love and comfort you mutually as would
for them...

You will know when that time arrives, by the love in your heart. Don't
rush things, just think of him fondly...
S;o)

bookie
May 4th 07, 12:30 AM
On 3 May, 19:33, wrote:
> I recently had to put-down my 7 year old domestic short hair due to
> kidney failure. This was right around the time of the scare. The
> food was Iams, Weight Control w/hairball care-not on the list. I have
> another cat who's since been given the once-over by a vet, and all is
> fine. I have no reason to suspect the food. I ocassionally spray air
> freshner frebreze near and in the litter box in small quantities.
> Could this have killed my cat? The cat had been vomiting for at least
> a year. We thought nothing of it. Would chemicals such as these
> cause immediate illness or long-term degenerative ones like kidney
> failure. I'm feeling very guilty right now and need some closure. Am
> I right in thinking that liver failure would be caused first? I look
> forward to any and all responses. Thank you so much...Joe

personally I would not use a deodoriser in my kitties litter tray, i
just clean them out very regularly so no real need, and i do wonder
whether releasing these strong deodorising chemicals ni the vicinity
of a cat is really wise anyway. OK the producers of febreze have said
that it is safe etc etc but i just think that kitty noses are extra
sensitive to things and so are their constitutions and i would not
want to assault their delicate senses with such artificial smells and
synthetic freshening devices because I worry abotu the possible bad
reactions they may cause. I just don't want to risk it.

also even thuogh the maufacturers have said that they are perfectly
safe for pets, how do they know in what quantites you are using them?
the makers may not know that someone is practically immersing their
home inthe stuff which cannot be good. Another thing which i wonder is
whether there will be cats (and knowing my luck it will be one of my
cats) who are allergic to the chemicals used in these products and
produce a bad reaction as a result, after all humans show weird
reactions and allergies to all sorts of stuff we deem 'safe' (I get
very bad skin reactions to the glue on normal sticking plasters, god
knows why). Whilst these products are labelled as safe for use with
pets it may have been that your cat was particularly sensitive to it,
who knows? Again, for this reason and others i would not use such
products, I would not want my kitties to suffer any nasty adverse
effects of chemicals I have used because of some paranoia about a few
smells about the place (which to be honest are a good sign that it is
about blooming time to change the kitty litter asap).

this is probably not what you wanted to hear i am sure, but remember
that i am not sayign that it was definitely the febreze, or that you
killed your cat or intentionally had a hand in it or anything like
that, but are you really sure you can trust the advice of a
manufacturer who may not know how you are using their product and who
also probably does not take into account the physiological
idiosyncracies of particularly cats and dogs in response to their
products?

anyway it is still very sad and i feel for your loss, you could have
an autopsy to get some answers but that obviously would not bring your
kitty back. maybe next time just dont use these products if you are
really worried? after all what is a few smells around the place.

bookie (waiting for a barrage of abuse for airing her opinions on
something)

sheelagh
May 4th 07, 01:16 AM
On 4 May, 00:30, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
> that i am not sayign that it was definitely the febreze, or that you
> killed your cat or intentionally had a hand in it or anything like
> that, but are you really sure you can trust the advice of a
> manufacturer who may not know how you are using their product and who
> also probably does not take into account the physiological
> idiosyncracies of particularly cats and dogs in response to their
> products?
>
> anyway it is still very sad and i feel for your loss, you could have
> an autopsy to get some answers but that obviously would not bring your
> kitty back. maybe next time just dont use these products if you are
> really worried? after all what is a few smells around the place.
>
> bookie (waiting for a barrage of abuse for airing her opinions on
> something)

> bookie (waiting for a barrage of abuse for airing her opinions on

ROFLOL, Not from me you won't!!
Every single one of us is entitled to their own opinion & I find it
refreshing to hear the voice of reason sometimes, especially from
you!!

Personally, I don't think that it had anything to do with the death of
her cat, especially if they had already diagnosed her with renal
failure..

but I do take on board your comments regarding a cats sense of smell
being 10 x sharper than our own & the fact that they might not smell
as nice to them as it does to us. My reasoning for this stems from
asthma. I suffer from asthma & if anyone comes within a room away from
me, I know when one has been used. It takes my breath away,
literally..& I can taste it too. So, therefor if cats have to go
through anything similar to that, then they have my sympathy....
Back to soap and warm water again...

Is detol a safe antiseptic that can be used to clean a cat litter?
<SIGH>
S;o)

bookie
May 4th 07, 01:49 AM
On 4 May, 01:16, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> refreshing to hear the voice of reason sometimes, especially from
> you!!
>
> Personally, I don't think that it had anything to do with the death of
> her cat, especially if they had already diagnosed her with renal
> failure..
>
> but I do take on board your comments regarding a cats sense of smell
> being 10 x sharper than our own & the fact that they might not smell
> as nice to them as it does to us. My reasoning for this stems from
> asthma. I suffer from asthma & if anyone comes within a room away from
> me, I know when one has been used. It takes my breath away,
> literally..& I can taste it too. So, therefor if cats have to go
> through anything similar to that, then they have my sympathy....
> Back to soap and warm water again...
>
> Is detol a safe antiseptic that can be used to clean a cat litter?

not sure, anything phenylated is toxic to them though, so TCP
(trichlorophenicol) is out of the question, but I woudln't use an
antiseptic anyway I would use a disinfectant

according to one book i have with me now, cetrimide disinfectants,
quaternary ammonium compounds are ok, and the safest is dodecine so
you would need to check the labels on things to see what they have,
and dilute it well..I have used a well diluted solution of milton
sterilising fluid in the past, after jasper died and before getting
jessie as couldn't afford to buy new things, that seemed ok (well she
is still here and in very rude health).

things with iodine in them, hexachlorophene, phenols (such as TCP) and
coaltar are NOT safe to use..

can't find any brand names as yet

sheelagh
May 4th 07, 02:30 AM
On 4 May, 01:49, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
> > <SIGH>
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> not sure, anything phenylated is toxic to them though, so TCP
> (trichlorophenicol) is out of the question, but I woudln't use an
> antiseptic anyway I would use a disinfectant
>
> according to one book i have with me now, cetrimide disinfectants,
> quaternary ammonium compounds are ok, and the safest is dodecine so
> you would need to check the labels on things to see what they have,
> and dilute it well..I have used a well diluted solution of milton
> sterilising fluid in the past, after jasper died and before getting
> jessie as couldn't afford to buy new things, that seemed ok (well she
> is still here and in very rude health).
>
> things with iodine in them, hexachlorophene, phenols (such as TCP) and
> coaltar are NOT safe to use..
>
> can't find any brand names as yet- Hide quoted text -

How about Zoflora?
Slightly less expensive, but also might be too whiffy?

If I do have to use Milton's, I will. It was the cost bit that made me
think twice... but most stores do their own versions of it, don't
they?

Have you any idea how many litter trays we have to put down here,
ROFLOL..??!!#@?
I calculated that next week we will have 6 @ any given time, possibly
more if we have a finicky Kitty's too... That is quite a bit of
milton's every other day, isn't it?
Thanks for the advice regarding TCP BTW. When i was a child, I can
remember my dad calling TCP, TOM CATS ****, & He wasn't too far wrong
there;o)
S;o)

cybercat
May 4th 07, 05:48 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
>> refreshing to hear the voice of reason sometimes, especially from
>> you!!
>>
>> Personally, I don't think that it had anything to do with the death of
>> her cat, especially if they had already diagnosed her with renal
>> failure..
>>
>> but I do take on board your comments regarding a cats sense of smell
>> being 10 x sharper than our own & the fact that they might not smell
>> as nice to them as it does to us. My reasoning for this stems from
>> asthma. I suffer from asthma & if anyone comes within a room away from
>> me, I know when one has been used. It takes my breath away,
>> literally..& I can taste it too. So, therefor if cats have to go
>> through anything similar to that, then they have my sympathy....
>> Back to soap and warm water again...
>>
>> Is detol a safe antiseptic that can be used to clean a cat litter?

Dear Sweet Jesus.

Let me know when the Idiot Convention has left town.

May 4th 07, 03:21 PM
On May 3, 7:30 pm, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
>
> this is probably not what you wanted to hear i am sure, but remember
> that i am not sayign that it was definitely the febreze, or that you
> killed your cat or intentionally had a hand in it or anything like
> that, but are you really sure you can trust the advice of a
> manufacturer who may not know how you are using their product and who
> also probably does not take into account the physiological
> idiosyncracies of particularly cats and dogs in response to their
> products?
>
> anyway it is still very sad and i feel for your loss, you could have
> an autopsy to get some answers but that obviously would not bring your
> kitty back. maybe next time just dont use these products if you are
> really worried? after all what is a few smells around the place.
>
> bookie (waiting for a barrage of abuse for airing her opinions on

Thank you to all for the wealth of information. Note, that I have
another cat that was the exact same age that uses the same box. I had
her checked out by a vet and she's in perfect health. This eases my
mind slightly, that it wasn't the air freshner. Any thoughts from
anyone on this? Thanks again..Joe

cybercat
May 4th 07, 04:19 PM
> wrote
> Thank you to all for the wealth of information. Note, that I have
> another cat that was the exact same age that uses the same box. I had
> her checked out by a vet and she's in perfect health. This eases my
> mind slightly, that it wasn't the air freshner. Any thoughts from
> anyone on this? Thanks again..Joe

Please do not spray chemicals of any kind around your cat box. Be
aware that they will ingest anything you do, they wash their paws
with their tongue and teeth, right? If there is a problem with odor
for more than the minute or two it takes the cat to eliminate, you
need only scoop the box.

bookie
May 4th 07, 04:58 PM
On 4 May, 02:30, sheelagh > wrote:
> On 4 May, 01:49, bookie > wrote:

> > > ROFLOL, Not from me you won't!!
> > > Every single one of us is entitled to their own opinion & I find it
> > > refreshing to hear the voice of reason sometimes, especially from
> > > you!!
>
> > > Personally, I don't think that it had anything to do with the death of
> > > her cat, especially if they had already diagnosed her with renal
> > > failure..
>
> > > but I do take on board your comments regarding a cats sense of smell
> > > being 10 x sharper than our own & the fact that they might not smell
> > > as nice to them as it does to us. My reasoning for this stems from
> > > asthma. I suffer from asthma & if anyone comes within a room away from
> > > me, I know when one has been used. It takes my breath away,
> > > literally..& I can taste it too. So, therefor if cats have to go
> > > through anything similar to that, then they have my sympathy....
> > > Back to soap and warm water again...
>
> > > Is detol a safe antiseptic that can be used to clean a cat litter?
> > > <SIGH>
> > > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> > not sure, anything phenylated is toxic to them though, so TCP
> > (trichlorophenicol) is out of the question, but I woudln't use an
> > antiseptic anyway I would use a disinfectant
>
> > according to one book i have with me now, cetrimide disinfectants,
> > quaternary ammonium compounds are ok, and the safest is dodecine so
> > you would need to check the labels on things to see what they have,
> > and dilute it well..I have used a well diluted solution of milton
> > sterilising fluid in the past, after jasper died and before getting
> > jessie as couldn't afford to buy new things, that seemed ok (well she
> > is still here and in very rude health).
>
> > things with iodine in them, hexachlorophene, phenols (such as TCP) and
> > coaltar are NOT safe to use..
>
> > can't find any brand names as yet- Hide quoted text -

> How about Zoflora?
> Slightly less expensive, but also might be too whiffy?
>
> If I do have to use Milton's, I will. It was the cost bit that made me
> think twice... but most stores do their own versions of it, don't
> they?
>
> Have you any idea how many litter trays we have to put down here,
> ROFLOL..??!!#@?
> I calculated that next week we will have 6 @ any given time, possibly
> more if we have a finicky Kitty's too... That is quite a bit of
> milton's every other day, isn't it?
> Thanks for the advice regarding TCP BTW. When i was a child, I can
> remember my dad calling TCP, TOM CATS ****, & He wasn't too far wrong
> there;o)
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

have just got back from ASDA and whilst there i checked out what is in
dettol, seems ok to me, also they do a clear version which leaves no
smells and is labelled onthe back as safe for pet areas, shoudl be
more gentle on little pusscats noses

best to ask your vet though
bookie

bookie
May 4th 07, 05:00 PM
On 4 May, 05:48, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> ROFLOL, Not from me you won't!!
> >> Every single one of us is entitled to their own opinion & I find it
> >> refreshing to hear the voice of reason sometimes, especially from
> >> you!!
>
> >> Personally, I don't think that it had anything to do with the death of
> >> her cat, especially if they had already diagnosed her with renal
> >> failure..
>
> >> but I do take on board your comments regarding a cats sense of smell
> >> being 10 x sharper than our own & the fact that they might not smell
> >> as nice to them as it does to us. My reasoning for this stems from
> >> asthma. I suffer from asthma & if anyone comes within a room away from
> >> me, I know when one has been used. It takes my breath away,
> >> literally..& I can taste it too. So, therefor if cats have to go
> >> through anything similar to that, then they have my sympathy....
> >> Back to soap and warm water again...
>
> >> Is detol a safe antiseptic that can be used to clean a cat litter?
> >> <SIGH>
> >> S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>
> Dear Sweet Jesus.
>
> Let me know when the Idiot Convention has left town.

meaning what exactly? or are you disputing that TCP and other phenols
and phenylated spirits ar toxic for cats?

bookie
May 4th 07, 05:01 PM
On 4 May, 16:19, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > Thank you to all for the wealth of information. Note, that I have
> > another cat that was the exact same age that uses the same box. I had
> > her checked out by a vet and she's in perfect health. This eases my
> > mind slightly, that it wasn't the air freshner. Any thoughts from
> > anyone on this? Thanks again..Joe
>
> Please do not spray chemicals of any kind around your cat box. Be
> aware that they will ingest anything you do, they wash their paws
> with their tongue and teeth, right? If there is a problem with odor
> for more than the minute or two it takes the cat to eliminate, you
> need only scoop the box.

I agree, why on earth do you need to use air freshener? if the smell
is bugging you clean the tray more often, dont use noxious chemicals
around ickle noses

cybercat
May 4th 07, 05:14 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On 4 May, 05:48, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...

>> Dear Sweet Jesus.
>>
>> Let me know when the Idiot Convention has left town.
>>
>> --
>> text -

> meaning what exactly? or are you disputing that TCP and other phenols
> and phenylated spirits ar toxic for cats?

Pardon me. PMS sometimes makes everyone look like idiots to me.

:

Sherry
May 4th 07, 05:37 PM
On May 4, 10:19 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > Thank you to all for the wealth of information. Note, that I have
> > another cat that was the exact same age that uses the same box. I had
> > her checked out by a vet and she's in perfect health. This eases my
> > mind slightly, that it wasn't the air freshner. Any thoughts from
> > anyone on this? Thanks again..Joe
>
> Please do not spray chemicals of any kind around your cat box. Be
> aware that they will ingest anything you do, they wash their paws
> with their tongue and teeth, right? If there is a problem with odor
> for more than the minute or two it takes the cat to eliminate, you
> need only scoop the box.

Also, remember a cat's sense of smell is like a thousand times more
sensitive
than ours. Some of that stuff is so perfumey--just imagine how noxious
it smells
to the cat. I never use anything in the box--scoop it often, change it
regularly, use a good
quality litter and it won't stink. People say that using a hooded box
that has a
charcoal filter helps, if your cat doesn't object to the hood.
I never use anything in the box. Mine all use the box faithfully,
never go outside of it. I
just never wanted to mess with a good thing.

Sherry

sheelagh
May 5th 07, 03:41 PM
On 4 May, 16:58, bookie > wrote:
> On 4 May, 02:30, sheelagh > wrote:

> > > not sure, anything phenylated is toxic to them though, so TCP
> > > (trichlorophenicol) is out of the question, but I woudln't use an
> > > antiseptic anyway I would use a disinfectant
>
> > > according to one book i have with me now, cetrimide disinfectants,
> > > quaternary ammonium compounds are ok, and the safest is dodecine so
> > > you would need to check the labels on things to see what they have,
> > > and dilute it well..I have used a well diluted solution of milton
> > > sterilising fluid in the past, after jasper died and before getting
> > > jessie as couldn't afford to buy new things, that seemed ok (well she
> > > is still here and in very rude health).
>
> > > things with iodine in them, hexachlorophene, phenols (such as TCP) and
> > > coaltar are NOT safe to use..
>
> > > can't find any brand names as yet- Hide quoted text -

> > How about Zoflora?
> > Slightly less expensive, but also might be too whiffy?
>
> > If I do have to use Milton's, I will. It was the cost bit that made me
> > think twice... but most stores do their own versions of it, don't
> > they?
>
> > Have you any idea how many litter trays we have to put down here,
> > ROFLOL..??!!#@?
> > I calculated that next week we will have 6 @ any given time, possibly
> > more if we have a finicky Kitty's too... That is quite a bit of
> > milton's every other day, isn't it?
> > Thanks for the advice regarding TCP BTW. When i was a child, I can
> > remember my dad calling TCP, TOM CATS ****, & He wasn't too far wrong
> > there;o)
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> have just got back from ASDA and whilst there i checked out what is in
> dettol, seems ok to me, also they do a clear version which leaves no
> smells and is labelled onthe back as safe for pet areas, shoudl be
> more gentle on little pusscats noses
>
> best to ask your vet though
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

Thanks very much for that one Bookie, appreciate that no end. I have
just been there to resupply the army here & picked a bottle up so that
I had some to do the weekly Yuk jobs.....I HATE Cleaning cat litters.

<wuz - up, no one like the truth...?>

It would seem that I must be the only person here that feels it
necessary to clean the cat litters with as power hose & a quick wipe
out with disinfectant? I don't know about your cats, but we certainly
have a couple here who hit the damned side every time they go'#!?
@??!!, which of course necessitates the need to wipe it down with
something...& I used unscented baby wipes for that job...with diluted
solution if it is a particularly messy nasty Biffy Whiffy one...
<shiver..yucky..I can't help it>

Then once a week it gets the once over. The old marigolds come out & I
get to borrow Paul's latest prize toy, his "power" hose(lol!!;o)..It's
much easier than the old method & does a Brill job on em....
<even the thought of it gives me the heeby gibby's>

I might love all of them silly, but I don't have to likre the mess
they make..to me that tantamount to saying you have to enjoy men
farting & that is a definite FORGET IT!!
S;o)

sheelagh
May 5th 07, 03:52 PM
On 4 May, 17:14, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>

> > On 4 May, 05:48, "cybercat" > wrote:
> >> "bookie" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> Dear Sweet Jesus.
>
> >> Let me know when the Idiot Convention has left town.
>
> >> --
> >> text -

> > meaning what exactly? or are you disputing that TCP and other phenols
> > and phenylated spirits ar toxic for cats?
>
> Pardon me. PMS sometimes makes everyone look like idiots to me.
>
> :

Your PMS has a lot to answer for...

Sometimes you come across the same way, but I never feel the need to
pick you up on it.However, today is one of those exceptions. Quite
recently you insinuated that every ones IQ in the group was had gone
down somewhat over the Easter Break, but I didn't feel the need to
tell you to leave if you felt that way.

It's rude, unnecessary & you can hurt peoples feelings.
If you really have a problem with a poster, why not contact them
privately about the issue instead of humiliating them globally?
And no, I'm not having a biting session. I'm saying that no one likes
their feelings hurt.
I've had my fair share of humiliation, so I am speaking from
experience.
Nothing Else...
S;o)

sheelagh
May 5th 07, 03:53 PM
On 4 May, 16:19, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > Thank you to all for the wealth of information. Note, that I have
> > another cat that was the exact same age that uses the same box. I had
> > her checked out by a vet and she's in perfect health. This eases my
> > mind slightly, that it wasn't the air freshner. Any thoughts from
> > anyone on this? Thanks again..Joe
>
> Please do not spray chemicals of any kind around your cat box. Be
> aware that they will ingest anything you do, they wash their paws
> with their tongue and teeth, right? If there is a problem with odor
> for more than the minute or two it takes the cat to eliminate, you
> need only scoop the box.

I agree...

sheelagh
May 5th 07, 03:55 PM
On 4 May, 17:01, bookie > wrote:
> On 4 May, 16:19, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > > wrote
>
> > > Thank you to all for the wealth of information. Note, that I have
> > > another cat that was the exact same age that uses the same box. I had
> > > her checked out by a vet and she's in perfect health. This eases my
> > > mind slightly, that it wasn't the air freshner. Any thoughts from
> > > anyone on this? Thanks again..Joe
>
> > Please do not spray chemicals of any kind around your cat box. Be
> > aware that they will ingest anything you do, they wash their paws
> > with their tongue and teeth, right? If there is a problem with odor
> > for more than the minute or two it takes the cat to eliminate, you
> > need only scoop the box.
>
> I agree, why on earth do you need to use air freshener? if the smell
> is bugging you clean the tray more often, dont use noxious chemicals
> around ickle noses

Of course the best product is called "Elbow Grease"!!
Old fashioned, but very effective.
S;o)

PawsForThought
May 5th 07, 10:08 PM
I try to never use any chemicals around my cats. I bought a steam
cleaner to clean my floors so there's no chemical residue to worry
about. I also never use any kind of air fresheners. Who wants to
smell chemicals? White vinegar is also a great (and safe cleaner).
This site is about essential oils and toxicity to cats, but it also
gives a good idea on how cats have trouble metabolizing such
substances.

http://www.thelavendercat.bigstep.com/generic.html