PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Cat

Kevin
May 5th 07, 07:25 AM
Hi,

My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks ago
I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.

I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I was
in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
back.

will this be a continual problem that I have? I don't know if I will be able
to keep him if this behavior continues. the first time he attacked me I
ended up with massive cuts all over my legs from his attacks and do not want
to face this again. does anyone have any suggestions?

I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
to I will.

Thanks

Kevin

Debby Hanoka
May 5th 07, 11:02 AM
Hi, Kevin.

> My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks
> ago
> I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
> me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.

First off, has anything in his environment changed that might cause him
anxiety? And how recently was he desexed?

> I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I
> was
> in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
> time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
> back.

Has he ever been friendly, or is he a "tamed feral?"

> will this be a continual problem that I have? I don't know if I will be
> able
> to keep him if this behavior continues. the first time he attacked me I
> ended up with massive cuts all over my legs from his attacks and do
> not want to face this again. does anyone have any suggestions?

First thing I would do is take him to the vet for an examination. The vet,
upon making their assessment, may recommend medication such as Clomicalm,
Amitryptalyne (sp?), or something else to calm him down. At least that's
what my mother said -- she's a retired vet assistant.

> I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
> to I will.

I understand what you're going through. My sister almost gave away her cat,
Rosco, because of something similar he did to my mom.

Best wishes,
Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at earthlink dot net

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 5th 07, 12:10 PM
Kevin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks ago
> I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
> me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.
>
> I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I
> was
> in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
> time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
> back.
>
> will this be a continual problem that I have? I don't know if I will be
> able
> to keep him if this behavior continues. the first time he attacked me I
> ended up with massive cuts all over my legs from his attacks and do not
> want
> to face this again. does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
> to I will.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin

First, take him to the vet and explain what has been going on... and
have them check him out to rule out any medical issues.

Once that has been done you can proceed with confidence to treat either
the medical or behavioral issue.

cybercat
May 5th 07, 04:14 PM
"Kevin" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks
> ago
> I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
> me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.
>
> I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I
> was
> in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
> time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
> back.

How old is he? What exactly was happening when he attacked you the
first time? Had there been any changes in your household, such as a move,
a new animal or a new person moving in?

> will this be a continual problem that I have?

If you don't address it and solve it, maybe, maybe not. Cats are
emotional animals who have a psychology all their own. There are
many reasons this might be happening, and it will take some effort
to solve it. I imagine the neutering was the first time this cat has
been to a vet, right?

> I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
> to I will.

Well, yeah, no kidding. It's not hard to "get rid of" a cat, now is it?
People do it all the time, that's why the shelters are full and the pounds
have overflowing 50 gallon cans full of euthanized cats and kittens.

Cheryl
May 6th 07, 12:24 AM
On Sat 05 May 2007 06:02:09a, Debby Hanoka wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> First thing I would do is take him to the vet for an
> examination. The vet, upon making their assessment, may
> recommend medication such as Clomicalm, Amitryptalyne (sp?), or
> something else to calm him down. At least that's what my mother
> said -- she's a retired vet assistant.

One of my cats is very aggressive and is on Clomicalm. I've tried to
take him off of it several times after he seems normal again, and he
reverts back to running after my legs and clawing me to ribbons. I
tend to think he'll be on it for life.

--
Cheryl

bookie
May 6th 07, 12:50 AM
On 5 May, 07:25, "Kevin" > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks ago
> I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
> me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.
>
> I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I was
> in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
> time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
> back.
>
> will this be a continual problem that I have? I don't know if I will be able
> to keep him if this behavior continues. the first time he attacked me I
> ended up with massive cuts all over my legs from his attacks and do not want
> to face this again. does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
> to I will.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin

my money is on a brain tumour growing in his furry head, one of these
can cause seizures and bizarres aggressives swings in personality at
the drop of a hat as they grow larger and have more of an effect on
the cat's behaviour. not nice to think about but it is a possibility
to consider, talk to your vet and see what they say

best of luck, bookie

Joe Canuck[_2_]
May 6th 07, 06:08 AM
bookie wrote:
> On 5 May, 07:25, "Kevin" > wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks ago
>> I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
>> me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.
>>
>> I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I was
>> in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
>> time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
>> back.
>>
>> will this be a continual problem that I have? I don't know if I will be able
>> to keep him if this behavior continues. the first time he attacked me I
>> ended up with massive cuts all over my legs from his attacks and do not want
>> to face this again. does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
>> to I will.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kevin
>
> my money is on a brain tumour growing in his furry head, one of these
> can cause seizures and bizarres aggressives swings in personality at
> the drop of a hat as they grow larger and have more of an effect on
> the cat's behaviour. not nice to think about but it is a possibility
> to consider, talk to your vet and see what they say
>
> best of luck, bookie

Your "brain tumour" theory is an assumption.

The rest of us will wait for the results of the vet examination before
jumping to such drastic conclusions.

bookie
May 7th 07, 01:55 AM
On 6 May, 06:08, Joe Canuck > wrote:
> bookie wrote:
> > On 5 May, 07:25, "Kevin" > wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> My male cat has always been aggressive in his own but a couple of weeks ago
> >> I was savagely attacked by him and he was growling hissing and swiping at
> >> me. I had him desexed and it seemed to help.
>
> >> I have been hissed at a couple of times since then and last night when I was
> >> in bed reading and petting him at the same time he turned on me again this
> >> time he did not attack me but the arched back, hissing and growling was
> >> back.
>
> >> will this be a continual problem that I have? I don't know if I will be able
> >> to keep him if this behavior continues. the first time he attacked me I
> >> ended up with massive cuts all over my legs from his attacks and do not want
> >> to face this again. does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> >> I really don't want to get rid of him because he is the best but if I have
> >> to I will.
>
> >> Thanks
>
> >> Kevin
>
> > my money is on a brain tumour growing in his furry head, one of these
> > can cause seizures and bizarres aggressives swings in personality at
> > the drop of a hat as they grow larger and have more of an effect on
> > the cat's behaviour. not nice to think about but it is a possibility
> > to consider, talk to your vet and see what they say
>
> > best of luck, bookie
>
> Your "brain tumour" theory is an assumption.
>
> The rest of us will wait for the results of the vet examination before
> jumping to such drastic conclusions.- Hide quoted text -

just a suggestion

kent
May 18th 07, 04:49 AM
read the information in the description part on this ebay item. see if it
is what you are looking for.
this product should be available in Australia.
it works great especially on agression

http://cgi.ebay.com/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-Feliway-New-Unopened_W0QQitemZ130115141796QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1 34790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem