PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever dehydrated wet cat food?

jobcatdad
May 5th 07, 04:59 PM
Am really frustrated with by Natural Balance's recall of the dry
version of Venison + Green Pea dry cat food. This food is the ONLY
food that has permitted fur regrowth on the lower abdomen of my two
cats. No other "hypoallergenic" food products work--there's some
protein source in every one that causes them to overgroom, lose fur,
etc.

I'd like to experiment with feeding home-dehydrated Venison + Green
Pea wet food while I wait for NB to get the dry formula back on the
market. Has anyone ever done home-dehydration of wet cat food? Wht
should I do, expect, etc?

cybercat
May 5th 07, 05:24 PM
"jobcatdad" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Am really frustrated with by Natural Balance's recall of the dry
> version of Venison + Green Pea dry cat food. This food is the ONLY
> food that has permitted fur regrowth on the lower abdomen of my two
> cats. No other "hypoallergenic" food products work--there's some
> protein source in every one that causes them to overgroom, lose fur,
> etc.
>
> I'd like to experiment with feeding home-dehydrated Venison + Green
> Pea wet food while I wait for NB to get the dry formula back on the
> market. Has anyone ever done home-dehydration of wet cat food? Wht
> should I do, expect, etc?

You have a food that works, why mess with it? Cats need the extra
moisture in wet food. My cat also has allergies and a bald stomach
and side at one point. A simple diet of quality canned food with
no grains (plus controlling things like exposure to cleaning chemicals,
smoke, dust, etc.) has meant no more bald spots, no EGC lesions,
and no asthma attacks for over a year now.

The only reason to feed dry food is for our own convenience.
There is evidence that feedings 12 hours apart has health
benefits that free feeding does not. (For more, search this
group and a poster named Phil with appropriate keywords.)

James
May 5th 07, 06:40 PM
On May 5, 11:59 am, jobcatdad > wrote:
> Am really frustrated with by Natural Balance's recall of the dry
> version of Venison + Green Pea dry cat food. This food is the ONLY
> food that has permitted fur regrowth on the lower abdomen of my two
> cats. No other "hypoallergenic" food products work--there's some
> protein source in every one that causes them to overgroom, lose fur,
> etc.
>
> I'd like to experiment with feeding home-dehydrated Venison + Green
> Pea wet food while I wait for NB to get the dry formula back on the
> market. Has anyone ever done home-dehydration of wet cat food? Wht
> should I do, expect, etc?

Much easier to just freeze the portions.

blkcatgal
May 6th 07, 12:59 AM
I too fed my food allergy cat the NB dry venison and peas before the recall.
I switched over to Royal Canin IVD venison and peas dry food. I am feeding
my cat the NB canned venison and peas though praying that there isn't a
problem with this food. Did you look into the Royal Canin? You can only
get it from your vet.

I also discovered a couple of other venison-based canned foods....one is
made by California Natural and the other is by Nature's Variety.

S.

"jobcatdad" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Am really frustrated with by Natural Balance's recall of the dry
> version of Venison + Green Pea dry cat food. This food is the ONLY
> food that has permitted fur regrowth on the lower abdomen of my two
> cats. No other "hypoallergenic" food products work--there's some
> protein source in every one that causes them to overgroom, lose fur,
> etc.
>
> I'd like to experiment with feeding home-dehydrated Venison + Green
> Pea wet food while I wait for NB to get the dry formula back on the
> market. Has anyone ever done home-dehydration of wet cat food? Wht
> should I do, expect, etc?

Rene S.
May 7th 07, 08:30 PM
Why not take this opportunity to switch your cats over to the canned
version? The extra water is better for their health.