PDA

View Full Version : Need recipe for home-cooked cat food


May 7th 07, 01:15 AM
Hello,

I'm now totally spooked from all the recalls, so I'd like to start
making home-cooked food for my cats. I'm looking for recipes for
supplements to add to cooked meat. The key word here being "cooked".

I know this much: if you're cooking meat for a cat, then they won't
get calcium or taurine. You can't feed a cat cooked bones, so you
have to add calcium. And I believe the cooking destroys the taurine,
so you have to add that back into the food. The problem is, I don't
know how *much* to add. I've seen recipes for supplements to add to
raw diets, but I wouldn't just swipe those and use them in cooked
food, which probably requires different supplements or different
proportions of ingredients.

I also don't want to buy a commercial supplement prepared especially
for cats. The reason is that animal food doesn't have the same
regulation or quality control that human food has. This is what I'm
trying to get away from! What I want to do is buy the necessary
ingredients, all of which are human-grade, and prepare the mix
myself. So I need a recipe.

What I've discovered in my research is that there are two camps of
people who make food for their cats. One group is the people who are
highly knowledgeable about cat nutrition, who know exactly what
supplements to add to the food, and who feed only raw meat diets to
their cats. They grind up raw muscle meat with raw bone, and make
sure the cats get heart meat for taurine, and then add some vitamin
supplements to make up for body parts the cat might not be getting.
All well and good if you want to feed raw meat. But I don't have a
meat grinder and I don't want to run out and invest hundreds of
dollars in equipment, when I've never even done this before. Isn't
there a way to start slowly? Go from canned food to cooked meat, and
then, maybe, to raw meat? One step at a time.

There are people who cook food for their cats, but those recipes
always seem to include grains and vegetables, which cats don't need,
and they don't talk about calcium, taurine, vitamin, or fiber
supplements at all. Some recipes I've seen even have all these weird
spices, like paprika, which I see no reason to give to a cat! I get
the feeling that these people have no idea what they're doing, and I
don't trust their recipes at all.

What I can't find is a well-thought-out recipe of supplements, that I
can make myself, that is meant to go with *cooked* meat. I know
cooked meat is not considered the very best way of feeding a cat by
the top cat nutritionists, but it's still miles better than
commercial canned food, which my cats have been living on for years.
So I'd be going in the right direction!

To recap:

I am looking for a recipe for a dietary supplement, made of 100%
human-grade ingredients that I can buy at a health food store, which
will satisfy a cat's nutritional needs when used with cooked meat.
Can someone help? Either with a recipe, or with pointers to good
sites (that don't focus totally on raw meat)?

Thank you!! And hi to my RPCA buddies who are reading here. :)

Joyce

Petzl
May 7th 07, 10:37 AM
On 07 May 2007 00:15:17 GMT, wrote:

>To recap:
>
>I am looking for a recipe for a dietary supplement, made of 100%
>human-grade ingredients that I can buy at a health food store, which
>will satisfy a cat's nutritional needs when used with cooked meat.
>Can someone help? Either with a recipe, or with pointers to good
>sites (that don't focus totally on raw meat)?
>
>Thank you!! And hi to my RPCA buddies who are reading here. :)
>
>Joyce

Your Pet place probably has vitamins for cats. To make sure they are
getting everything.

Best milk to use as a side dish is Goat's milk (the carton variety
from supermarket OK)

ALWAYS have water available

Use google for recipies

In USa I'm led to believe there is concern about raw hen eggs
containing salmonella?
I'm in Australia often have raw egg dip with Suki Yaki not been sick
yet?
*****
1. 1 can of evaporated milk
2. can of water
3. 1 small container of plain yogurt, make sure it's an active culture
and use only plain yogurt.
4. 2 egg yokes (not the whites)
5. 1 small jar of strained baby food chicken meat.
Blend this all and refrigerate. It lasts about a week in the
refrigerator
Cats like warmed (blood heat) food 6 seconds in 600 watt microwave is
near for one serving including Goats milk

Message-ID: >
home made formula made from 8 oz water, 8 oz evaporated whole milk, 1
envelope unflavored gelatin, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 raw egg
yolks,
2 tablespoons plain non-fat (I couldn't find full fat) yogurt, 1
teaspoon honey, 1 capsule of acidopholus, and a squirt of gel cat
vitamins.

Petzl
--
SECURE YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER NOW!!
<http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp> Keep Windows UPDATED

<http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5> AVG 7.0 Free Edition" Anti-Virus

<http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx> Check your computer for "SpyWare" (free MS Product)

<http://www.zonelabs.com/> a good firewall for windows(free version available)

<http://www.password-depot.com/index.htm> Use a Password Saver on USB removable drive to store passwords

Cheryl
May 7th 07, 11:45 PM
On Sun 06 May 2007 08:15:17p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> To recap:
>
> I am looking for a recipe for a dietary supplement, made of 100%
> human-grade ingredients that I can buy at a health food store,
> which will satisfy a cat's nutritional needs when used with
> cooked meat. Can someone help? Either with a recipe, or with
> pointers to good sites (that don't focus totally on raw meat)?
>
> Thank you!! And hi to my RPCA buddies who are reading here. :)

Hi Joyce! I can't help with a recipe as the one I had was hated by
all, but I might be able to give you some pointers. My vet gave me
a recipe when Shadow was diagnosed with IBD to make a simple food
with limited ingredients. It isn't meant for a full-time diet.
What I learned was that you can make a diet with human multi-
vitamins but you have to supplement with taurine. Try to find a
vitamin that is odorless and tasteless - maybe a liquid. The multi-
vitamin I used had a smell to it that I'd think was not acceptable
to the cats. I've seen other recipes that use pediatric
multivitamins and they *are* liquid. I didn't try that though. This
recipe only had ground turkey or chicken, bone meal or calcium,
multivitamin, taurine (not necessary for very short term, but long
term you'd need it for sure) and water or broth. Lightly brown the
meat and add the water/broth and other ingredients. Sorry, can't
remember quantities. Again, I think the key is the smell of the
stuff. Mine liked it initially but never ate enough for whole
meals. I've seen other recipes that include brown rice or oats.

What I'd do if I really wanted to make a home-cooked diet was find
an expert. Try to consult with a feline nutritionist, and you could
probably do that over the phone or email with a minimal charge for
their services.

Good luck. This whole food recall thing is very scary and I don't
blame you for wanting to cook for them yourself.

--
Cheryl

May 8th 07, 12:14 AM
Cheryl > wrote:

> Hi Joyce! I can't help with a recipe as the one I had was hated by
> all, but I might be able to give you some pointers.

Well, as we all know, just because some cats hate certain foods, doesn't
mean all cats will hate it. In fact, I think we can assume that it means
there exists a cat somewhere who will love it. :)

> This
> recipe only had ground turkey or chicken, bone meal or calcium,
> multivitamin, taurine (not necessary for very short term, but long
> term you'd need it for sure) and water or broth. Lightly brown the
> meat and add the water/broth and other ingredients. Sorry, can't
> remember quantities.

That sounds fairly easy. I'd probably add vitamins A, D and E, and some
form of fiber, but not digestible grains (or any other carbs).

> What I'd do if I really wanted to make a home-cooked diet was find
> an expert. Try to consult with a feline nutritionist, and you could
> probably do that over the phone or email with a minimal charge for
> their services.

Yes, someone on another forum recommended I email a nutritionist she
recommended, so that's on my agenda.

Thanks, nice to see you!

Joyce

Petzl
May 8th 07, 12:30 AM
On 7 May 2007 22:45:57 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

>What I'd do if I really wanted to make a home-cooked diet was find
>an expert. Try to consult with a feline nutritionist, and you could
>probably do that over the phone or email with a minimal charge for
>their services.
>
>Good luck. This whole food recall thing is very scary and I don't
>blame you for wanting to cook for them yourself.

A Google search comes with some sites
<http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-42,GGLJ:en-GB&q=Homemade+cat+food>
or <http://tinyurl.com/26vs9g>

Found one site that for US$50 offer consultation from a qualified pet
nutritionist (be careful of scammers) Not checked them out
<http://www.petdiets.com/Library/article.asp?id=119&subid=18&catid=1&num=2>

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

May 8th 07, 01:17 AM
Petzl > wrote:

> A Google search comes with some sites
>
> http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-42,GGLJ:en-GB&q=Homemade+cat+food


Thanks!

The Lisa Pierson recipe looks great, but I have a couple of questions. She
is assuming that you're grinding up raw meat with the bones, and feeding that
to the cat. In my case, I won't be doing that, so I will have to add calcium.
But I don't know how much calcium to add! And I'm gathering, from the reading
I've done, that it's very important to get it right. Too much or too little
calcium, in relation to how much meat there is, could cause problems.

This is why I really need to get a recipe for cooked meat. However, many
of the cooked meat recipes I've seen online (I did a similar search to the
one you have posted here - my terms were "home-cooked" "cat food") are way
off-base - full of starch and vegetables, and vegetable oil, plus spices
that I can't imagine would appeal or even matter to a cat (eg, paprika -
wtf?).

I also noticed in Lisa Pierson's recipe that it called for eggs - cooked
whites and raw yolks. Basically, a soft-boiled egg. I wonder if a hard-
boiled egg would be just as effective?

Thanks,
Joyce

Petzl
May 8th 07, 03:42 AM
On 08 May 2007 00:17:50 GMT, wrote:

>Petzl > wrote:
>
> > A Google search comes with some sites
> >
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-42,GGLJ:en-GB&q=Homemade+cat+food
>
>
>Thanks!
>
>The Lisa Pierson recipe looks great, but I have a couple of questions. She
>is assuming that you're grinding up raw meat with the bones, and feeding that
>to the cat. In my case, I won't be doing that, so I will have to add calcium.
>But I don't know how much calcium to add! And I'm gathering, from the reading
>I've done, that it's very important to get it right. Too much or too little
>calcium, in relation to how much meat there is, could cause problems.
>
>This is why I really need to get a recipe for cooked meat. However, many
>of the cooked meat recipes I've seen online (I did a similar search to the
>one you have posted here - my terms were "home-cooked" "cat food") are way
>off-base - full of starch and vegetables, and vegetable oil, plus spices
>that I can't imagine would appeal or even matter to a cat (eg, paprika -
>wtf?).
>
>I also noticed in Lisa Pierson's recipe that it called for eggs - cooked
>whites and raw yolks. Basically, a soft-boiled egg. I wonder if a hard-
>boiled egg would be just as effective?
>
>Thanks,
>Joyce

Cats ideally best served raw baby food that contains Liver Chicken
Fish can also be considered as alternative to canned cat food

Lisa Pierson's website is here
<http://www.catinfo.org/>

Real, ground bones contain protein, essential fatty acids, fats,
vitamins and minerals, especially calcium. Bones are Nature's
powerhouse store of minerals: there is no more complete or balanced
source for our pets. (ask local Butcher if he can provide grinding for
this?)

I also cannot see why uncooked chicken wing should not be presented
weekly to cats for their teeth (chewing). occasional chopped raw meat
is also good alternative for cat food and their teeth

Dried fish as treats from Asian food shops is also good for their
teeth (Squid, Cuttlefish and Anchovies Watch out for salt sugar and or
honey added)

Brushing a cat is also important Straw brushs I find for short hair
cats good (Clean straw wood scrubbing brush cheap and good)
Find a comfortable place to do this all cats love this and it removes
much loose hair which often affects their digestion.


Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

sheelagh
May 8th 07, 02:58 PM
On 7 May, 01:15, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm now totally spooked from all the recalls, so I'd like to start
> making home-cooked food for my cats. I'm looking for recipes for
> supplements to add to cooked meat. The key word here being "cooked".
>
> I know this much: if you're cooking meat for a cat, then they won't
> get calcium or taurine. You can't feed a cat cooked bones, so you
> have to add calcium. And I believe the cooking destroys the taurine,
> so you have to add that back into the food. The problem is, I don't
> know how *much* to add. I've seen recipes for supplements to add to
> raw diets, but I wouldn't just swipe those and use them in cooked
> food, which probably requires different supplements or different
> proportions of ingredients.
>
> I also don't want to buy a commercial supplement prepared especially
> for cats. The reason is that animal food doesn't have the same
> regulation or quality control that human food has. This is what I'm
> trying to get away from! What I want to do is buy the necessary
> ingredients, all of which are human-grade, and prepare the mix
> myself. So I need a recipe.
>
> What I've discovered in my research is that there are two camps of
> people who make food for their cats. One group is the people who are
> highly knowledgeable about cat nutrition, who know exactly what
> supplements to add to the food, and who feed only raw meat diets to
> their cats. They grind up raw muscle meat with raw bone, and make
> sure the cats get heart meat for taurine, and then add some vitamin
> supplements to make up for body parts the cat might not be getting.
> All well and good if you want to feed raw meat. But I don't have a
> meat grinder and I don't want to run out and invest hundreds of
> dollars in equipment, when I've never even done this before. Isn't
> there a way to start slowly? Go from canned food to cooked meat, and
> then, maybe, to raw meat? One step at a time.
>
> There are people who cook food for their cats, but those recipes
> always seem to include grains and vegetables, which cats don't need,
> and they don't talk about calcium, taurine, vitamin, or fiber
> supplements at all. Some recipes I've seen even have all these weird
> spices, like paprika, which I see no reason to give to a cat! I get
> the feeling that these people have no idea what they're doing, and I
> don't trust their recipes at all.
>
> What I can't find is a well-thought-out recipe of supplements, that I
> can make myself, that is meant to go with *cooked* meat. I know
> cooked meat is not considered the very best way of feeding a cat by
> the top cat nutritionists, but it's still miles better than
> commercial canned food, which my cats have been living on for years.
> So I'd be going in the right direction!
>
> To recap:
>
> I am looking for a recipe for a dietary supplement, made of 100%
> human-grade ingredients that I can buy at a health food store, which
> will satisfy a cat's nutritional needs when used with cooked meat.
> Can someone help? Either with a recipe, or with pointers to good
> sites (that don't focus totally on raw meat)?
>
> Thank you!! And hi to my RPCA buddies who are reading here. :)
>
> Joyce

Hi Joyce,
Here are a few idea's that I found by googling. you might have already
found them, but if not, they might come in handy

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=home+cook+recipies+for+cat+food&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Good Luck,
S;o)

sheelagh
May 8th 07, 03:01 PM
On 7 May, 01:15, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm now totally spooked from all the recalls, so I'd like to start
> making home-cooked food for my cats. I'm looking for recipes for
> supplements to add to cooked meat. The key word here being "cooked".
>
> I know this much: if you're cooking meat for a cat, then they won't
> get calcium or taurine. You can't feed a cat cooked bones, so you
> have to add calcium. And I believe the cooking destroys the taurine,
> so you have to add that back into the food. The problem is, I don't
> know how *much* to add. I've seen recipes for supplements to add to
> raw diets, but I wouldn't just swipe those and use them in cooked
> food, which probably requires different supplements or different
> proportions of ingredients.
>
> I also don't want to buy a commercial supplement prepared especially
> for cats. The reason is that animal food doesn't have the same
> regulation or quality control that human food has. This is what I'm
> trying to get away from! What I want to do is buy the necessary
> ingredients, all of which are human-grade, and prepare the mix
> myself. So I need a recipe.
>
> What I've discovered in my research is that there are two camps of
> people who make food for their cats. One group is the people who are
> highly knowledgeable about cat nutrition, who know exactly what
> supplements to add to the food, and who feed only raw meat diets to
> their cats. They grind up raw muscle meat with raw bone, and make
> sure the cats get heart meat for taurine, and then add some vitamin
> supplements to make up for body parts the cat might not be getting.
> All well and good if you want to feed raw meat. But I don't have a
> meat grinder and I don't want to run out and invest hundreds of
> dollars in equipment, when I've never even done this before. Isn't
> there a way to start slowly? Go from canned food to cooked meat, and
> then, maybe, to raw meat? One step at a time.
>
> There are people who cook food for their cats, but those recipes
> always seem to include grains and vegetables, which cats don't need,
> and they don't talk about calcium, taurine, vitamin, or fiber
> supplements at all. Some recipes I've seen even have all these weird
> spices, like paprika, which I see no reason to give to a cat! I get
> the feeling that these people have no idea what they're doing, and I
> don't trust their recipes at all.
>
> What I can't find is a well-thought-out recipe of supplements, that I
> can make myself, that is meant to go with *cooked* meat. I know
> cooked meat is not considered the very best way of feeding a cat by
> the top cat nutritionists, but it's still miles better than
> commercial canned food, which my cats have been living on for years.
> So I'd be going in the right direction!
>
> To recap:
>
> I am looking for a recipe for a dietary supplement, made of 100%
> human-grade ingredients that I can buy at a health food store, which
> will satisfy a cat's nutritional needs when used with cooked meat.
> Can someone help? Either with a recipe, or with pointers to good
> sites (that don't focus totally on raw meat)?
>
> Thank you!! And hi to my RPCA buddies who are reading here. :)
>
> Joyce

OOP's, Wrong page, this one is a bit better..
Sorry about that

S;o)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=cat+food+recipes&spell=1