PDA

View Full Version : Unusually small kitten

cidneysue
May 7th 07, 01:26 AM
We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her 4
young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their own
and the mother is trying to wean all of the kittens.

One of the kittens is VERY small, not like a runt, but half the size of the
others almost like it is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens.....is this
possible? The kitten just gets around and I make the mother let it nurse
since she thinks it is time for the kittens to be weaned. I'm a cat lover
and have 4 of my own....I'm planning to find homes for all. I'm getting very
attached to the "miniature" fur ball.... Thanks for any comments!!!

Cidneysue

cybercat
May 7th 07, 01:33 AM
"cidneysue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her
> 4
> young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their
> own
> and the mother is trying to wean all of the kittens.
>
> One of the kittens is VERY small, not like a runt, but half the size of
> the
> others almost like it is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens.....is
> this
> possible? The kitten just gets around and I make the mother let it nurse
> since she thinks it is time for the kittens to be weaned. I'm a cat lover
> and have 4 of my own....I'm planning to find homes for all. I'm getting
> very
> attached to the "miniature" fur ball.... Thanks for any comments!!!

I think a vet visit for the littlest one is in order, don't you?

Lynne
May 7th 07, 03:12 AM
on Mon, 07 May 2007 00:33:04 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I think a vet visit for the littlest one is in order, don't you?

I do!

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Sherry
May 7th 07, 05:51 AM
On May 6, 7:26 pm, "cidneysue" <[email protected]> wrote:
> We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her 4
> young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their own
> and the mother is trying to wean all of the kittens.
>
> One of the kittens is VERY small, not like a runt, but half the size of the
> others almost like it is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens.....is this
> possible? The kitten just gets around and I make the mother let it nurse
> since she thinks it is time for the kittens to be weaned. I'm a cat lover
> and have 4 of my own....I'm planning to find homes for all. I'm getting very
> attached to the "miniature" fur ball.... Thanks for any comments!!!
>
> Cidneysue

It would be great if you could take all the kittens to the vet just
for an evaluation, and
see what he says about the size of the baby furball. I'd love to hear
the results of that.
Let us know!
Good luck with the litter & mama cat.
Sherry

Lis
May 7th 07, 02:42 PM
On May 6, 8:26 pm, "cidneysue" <[email protected]> wrote:
> We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her 4
> young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their own
> and the mother is trying to wean all of the kittens.
>
> One of the kittens is VERY small, not like a runt, but half the size of the
> others almost like it is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens.....is this
> possible? The kitten just gets around and I make the mother let it nurse
> since she thinks it is time for the kittens to be weaned. I'm a cat lover
> and have 4 of my own....I'm planning to find homes for all. I'm getting very
> attached to the "miniature" fur ball.... Thanks for any comments!!!
>
> Cidneysue

Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
after momma decides they should all be weaned. I had a kitten like
that once; one of my older cats adopted her and began lactating to
nurse her, which was a great help for me.:)

Do get them all a vet checkup. If the little one is not ready to be
weaned, and one of your older cats does not step up to the plate, you
might need to do some supplemental bottle feeding.

Lis

sheelagh
May 8th 07, 02:29 PM
On 7 May, 14:42, Lis > wrote:
> On May 6, 8:26 pm, "cidneysue" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her 4
> > young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their own
> > and the mother is trying to wean all of the kittens.
>
> > One of the kittens is VERY small, not like a runt, but half the size of the
> > others almost like it is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens.....is this
> > possible? The kitten just gets around and I make the mother let it nurse
> > since she thinks it is time for the kittens to be weaned. I'm a cat lover
> > and have 4 of my own....I'm planning to find homes for all. I'm getting very
> > attached to the "miniature" fur ball.... Thanks for any comments!!!
>
> > Cidneysue
>
> Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
> cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
> to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
> litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
> after momma decides they should all be weaned. I had a kitten like
> that once; one of my older cats adopted her and began lactating to
> nurse her, which was a great help for me.:)
>
> Do get them all a vet checkup. If the little one is not ready to be
> weaned, and one of your older cats does not step up to the plate, you
> might need to do some supplemental bottle feeding.
>
> Lis

> Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
> cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
> to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
> litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
> after momma decides they should all be weaned

Same here. I was shocked but after a bit of reasearch I realised what
had happened & supplement fed her until she was weaned just about a
week later than all of the rest of the kittens. Unfortunately, I had
to hand feed. It's hard work, but well worth it when things go right.
I am going to post a photo of the kitten I'm telling you about, when
she was a tiny kitty & now too. I couldn't believe it was her when her
new momma sent me an update @ Easter!!
See what you think?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/POPPYWASAHANDREAR

Lis
May 8th 07, 07:19 PM
On May 8, 9:29 am, sheelagh > wrote:
> On 7 May, 14:42, Lis > wrote:
>

> > On May 6, 8:26 pm, "cidneysue" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her 4
> > > young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their own
> > > and the mother is trying to wean all of the kittens.
>
> > > One of the kittens is VERY small, not like a runt, but half the size of the
> > > others almost like it is 2 weeks younger than the other kittens.....is this
> > > possible? The kitten just gets around and I make the mother let it nurse
> > > since she thinks it is time for the kittens to be weaned. I'm a cat lover
> > > and have 4 of my own....I'm planning to find homes for all. I'm getting very
> > > attached to the "miniature" fur ball.... Thanks for any comments!!!
>
> > > Cidneysue
>
> > Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
> > cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
> > to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
> > litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
> > after momma decides they should all be weaned. I had a kitten like
> > that once; one of my older cats adopted her and began lactating to
> > nurse her, which was a great help for me.:)
>
> > Do get them all a vet checkup. If the little one is not ready to be
> > weaned, and one of your older cats does not step up to the plate, you
> > might need to do some supplemental bottle feeding.
>
> > Lis
>
> > Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
> > cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
> > to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
> > litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
> > after momma decides they should all be weaned
>
> Same here. I was shocked but after a bit of reasearch I realised what
> had happened & supplement fed her until she was weaned just about a
> week later than all of the rest of the kittens. Unfortunately, I had
> to hand feed. It's hard work, but well worth it when things go right.
> I am going to post a photo of the kitten I'm telling you about, when
> she was a tiny kitty & now too. I couldn't believe it was her when her
> new momma sent me an update @ Easter!!
> See what you think?
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/POPPYWASAHANDREAR- Hide quoted text -

What a beautiful kitty! She certainly made up for her late start--and
so helpful around the house, too!:)

Lis

cidneysue via CatKB.com
May 8th 07, 07:30 PM
sheelagh....it is sooo eerrreee my little fur ball looks just like yours!!

I really appreciate all of the responses. I would love to take all of them
to the vet. Unfortunately, my funds just will not allow a trip for everyone.
I've had one of my cats "fixed" recently, my 3 lb Fox Terrier got very sick
and had a huge vet bill, and my other Fox Terrier is to deliver pups any day
now. I can work things around for the little fur ball.....

I plan to find great homes for all, including Mom, and will probably (who am
I kidding myself) will be hanging on to the little fur ball.

Thanks again everyone!!!

sheelagh wrote:
>> > We recently had a very pretty young momma cat show up at our home with her 4
>> > young kittens. Three of the kittens are old enough to eat food on their own
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>>
>> Lis
>
>> Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
>> cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
>> to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
>> litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
>> after momma decides they should all be weaned
>
>Same here. I was shocked but after a bit of reasearch I realised what
>had happened & supplement fed her until she was weaned just about a
>week later than all of the rest of the kittens. Unfortunately, I had
>to hand feed. It's hard work, but well worth it when things go right.
>I am going to post a photo of the kitten I'm telling you about, when
>she was a tiny kitty & now too. I couldn't believe it was her when her
>new momma sent me an update @ Easter!!
>See what you think?
>
>http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/POPPYWASAHANDREAR

May 8th 07, 08:10 PM
"cidneysue via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
> I plan to find great homes for all, including Mom, and will probably (who
> am
> I kidding myself) will be hanging on to the little fur ball.

Keep us posted. Little tiny cats tug at my heartstrings.

sheelagh
May 9th 07, 03:11 AM
On 8 May, 19:30, "cidneysue via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> sheelagh....it is sooo eerrreee my little fur ball looks just like yours!!
>
> I really appreciate all of the responses. I would love to take all of them
> to the vet. Unfortunately, my funds just will not allow a trip for everyone.
> I've had one of my cats "fixed" recently, my 3 lb Fox Terrier got very sick
> and had a huge vet bill, and my other Fox Terrier is to deliver pups any day
> now. I can work things around for the little fur ball.....
>
> I plan to find great homes for all, including Mom, and will probably (who am
> I kidding myself) will be hanging on to the little fur ball.
>
> Thanks again everyone!!!

> >[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>
> >> Lis
>
> >> Yes, it is possible that the tiny one is younger than the others; a
> >> cat in heat will mate repeatedly over several days, and it's POSSIBLE
> >> to have one or more kittens conceived after the main part of the
> >> litter. If that's the case, this kitten might need some extra care
> >> after momma decides they should all be weaned
>
> >Same here. I was shocked but after a bit of reasearch I realised what
> >had happened & supplement fed her until she was weaned just about a
> >week later than all of the rest of the kittens. Unfortunately, I had
> >to hand feed. It's hard work, but well worth it when things go right.
> >I am going to post a photo of the kitten I'm telling you about, when
> >she was a tiny kitty & now too. I couldn't believe it was her when her
> >new momma sent me an update @ Easter!!
> >See what you think?
>
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/POPPYWASAHANDREAR

ROFLOL,
I think they do look a little similar when they are hand reared. I
kept her on top up feeding with Cimmi Cat for a month after she left
us..or rather I gave her new slave a tin of it with demonstrations on
how to prepare it & mix it with her food & warm water to in her
whiskers food. It looks like it did the Job, doesn't it?

I was so pleased to receive news and the photo of her now. It makes
all of those 2 hourly feeds feel worthwhile. She isn't that tall, but
she is very stocky and heavy I am informed. It's just good to see her
looking so well.
S;o)