PDA

View Full Version : orphan kittens- help!

jsmith23
May 7th 07, 12:48 AM
My fiance found 4 baby kittens in the wall of our apartment... he could only
get two of them out so far. They're tiny and VERY dirty and ragged and we
don't think their mother is anywhere around, so we're trying to figure out
what to do with them... but we can't figure out how old they are!!

The two we got out are 16.25 and 17.25 oz, the little one still has blue eyes,
and they're walking. I tried giving them formula, but they chew on the nipple
as opposed to suckling. Are they too old for formula? They will eat moistened
dry food. How old do you think they are??

TIA.

Noon Cat Nick
May 7th 07, 03:03 AM
jsmith23 wrote:

>My fiance found 4 baby kittens in the wall of our apartment... he could only
>get two of them out so far. They're tiny and VERY dirty and ragged and we
>don't think their mother is anywhere around, so we're trying to figure out
>what to do with them... but we can't figure out how old they are!!
>
>The two we got out are 16.25 and 17.25 oz, the little one still has blue eyes,
>and they're walking. I tried giving them formula, but they chew on the nipple
>as opposed to suckling. Are they too old for formula? They will eat moistened
>dry food. How old do you think they are??

Old enough to be weaned, I'd say. So don't worry about feeding them
formula. From your description, they're ready for canned food.

William Hamblen
May 7th 07, 04:38 AM
On Sun, 06 May 2007 23:48:37 GMT, "jsmith23" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My fiance found 4 baby kittens in the wall of our apartment... he could only
>get two of them out so far. They're tiny and VERY dirty and ragged and we
>don't think their mother is anywhere around, so we're trying to figure out
>what to do with them... but we can't figure out how old they are!!
>
>The two we got out are 16.25 and 17.25 oz, the little one still has blue eyes,
>and they're walking. I tried giving them formula, but they chew on the nipple
>as opposed to suckling. Are they too old for formula? They will eat moistened
>dry food. How old do you think they are??

Weighing a pound? I'd guess 6 weeks old or so. They're probably old
enough to wean. They ought to be given as much commercial kitten food
as they want. Kittens that age can use the litter box.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Matthew
May 7th 07, 07:28 AM
read Phil's site
http://www.maxshouse.com/kitten_care.htm#Caring%20for%20Orphan%20Kittens