PDA

View Full Version : Laser pointer as cat toy?

Ken Knecht
May 7th 07, 06:51 PM
Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Matthew
May 7th 07, 06:58 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>
> Ken

Can't call the cat stupid. He/ she is secretly laughing at you for getting
up the nerve to think they have to play when you want them to

Remember dogs have masters cats have slaves

> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

May 7th 07, 10:39 PM
In article >,
says...
> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>
> Ken

I had a laser pointer when Emily, Randy and Cosimo were alive. The boys
would chase the dot all day long while Emily would look at you like you
were weird.

Cheryl
May 8th 07, 12:03 AM
On Mon 07 May 2007 01:51:41p, Ken Knecht wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser
> pointer with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot?
> Of course not. She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using
> piece of stiff wire with a couple of small white sticks on the
> end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>
> Ken

Of my four, three LOVE the red dot toy, the other doesn't even seem
to see it. The other three though will run each other over trying to
get to it first.

--
Cheryl

Mommy of 2 via CatKB.com
May 8th 07, 12:13 AM
My Xena loves her laser toy. I have it on my key chain hanging on the door
handle...she'll jump up and bat at it then jump up in the corner where we
generally end her chase by her jumping up the wall. I've realized that's her
signal that she wants to play.

Cheryl wrote:
>> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser
>> pointer with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot?
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>
>> Ken
>
>Of my four, three LOVE the red dot toy, the other doesn't even seem
>to see it. The other three though will run each other over trying to
>get to it first.

May 8th 07, 02:29 AM
In article >,
says...
> On Mon 07 May 2007 01:51:41p, Ken Knecht wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
> > Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser
> > pointer with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot?
> > Of course not. She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using
> > piece of stiff wire with a couple of small white sticks on the
> > end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
> >
> > Ken
> >

> Of my four, three LOVE the red dot toy, the other doesn't even seem
> to see it. The other three though will run each other over trying to
> get to it first.

Oh too funny. I sure hope you have a digital video cam, so we can see it
live. I'm sure it'd get plenty of laughs.

sheelagh
May 8th 07, 02:08 PM
On 7 May, 18:51, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

That's strange cuz mine go ballistic for it.....But only Lilly & Biffy
go chase it around the room, up the curtains, ( up the walls if they
could...)....

It's my son that is the problem.... he keeps shining the damned thing
all over the place. One of his favourites is waiting until you go to
sleep then gets the cat to pounce straight on your tummy whilst you
are inspecting the inside of your eye lids for 40 winks
S;o)

bookie
May 8th 07, 05:33 PM
On 7 May, 18:51, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

i haven't got one but I ahve considered getting one over the internet
probably as no pet shops seem to seel them, not sure i will bother
now. Jessie prefers to wrestle anythign filled with catnip or to chase
a wiggly worm thing on a piece of string, she also likes the 'cat
dancer' toy you described, it moves about erratically and they like
that as it is just like a buzzing fly or insect they can try to swat.

bookie

Claude V. Lucas
May 8th 07, 06:19 PM
In article . com>,
bookie > wrote:
>On 7 May, 18:51, Ken Knecht > wrote:
>> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
>> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
>> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
>> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> --
>> Untie the two knots to email me
>>
>> Every silver lining has a cloud.
>
>i haven't got one but I ahve considered getting one over the internet
>probably as no pet shops seem to seel them, not sure i will bother
>now. Jessie prefers to wrestle anythign filled with catnip or to chase
>a wiggly worm thing on a piece of string, she also likes the 'cat
>dancer' toy you described, it moves about erratically and they like
>that as it is just like a buzzing fly or insect they can try to swat.
>
>bookie

I got 2 for $5 at my friendly local Walgreen's drug store.

Bubba totally ignores it...

Dave Whiley
May 8th 07, 07:28 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>

Of my two step-cats, the "kitten" (15 mo now) will chase the red dot quite
happily. I *thought* I had her fooled by sending the dot under various
items of furniture so that she'd wait for it to come out again, until the
time when she got bored with waiting, came over to me, and used her paw to
tap the hand I was holding the pointer in. So, she'd worked out where the
dot was coming from, which impressed me!

The big guy (9 yo) is, of course, far too dignified to go running after a
red dot like a kitten! Unless, of course, there are no feline witnesses,
when he will chase it - but if the little one turns up, he immediately sits
down and pretends a complete lack of interest. I suppose that he's afraid
he'll damage his "cool" image otherwise.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

honeybunch
May 8th 07, 11:13 PM
Before he came to live with me Bebee had a horrid leg injury where
his rear right leg was just hanging. I enticed him to move in and he
has been with me since last September. His leg seems just fine now
and the old injury is only noticable when he sits on the arm of a
chair because then he hangs his right leg down. The vet says he is
about one and one half years old and he is very very playful. He
races around like a polo pony after the red dot on the lasar pointer.

On May 7, 1:51 pm, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> She just ignores it. Much prefers a toy using piece of stiff wire with a
> couple of small white sticks on the end. Stupid cat. <sigh>
>
> Ken
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

mariib via CatKB.com
May 9th 07, 02:45 AM
bookie wrote:
>> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
>> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>
>> Every silver lining has a cloud.
>
>i haven't got one but I ahve considered getting one over the internet
>probably as no pet shops seem to seel them, not sure i will bother
>now. Jessie prefers to wrestle anythign filled with catnip or to chase
>a wiggly worm thing on a piece of string, she also likes the 'cat
>dancer' toy you described, it moves about erratically and they like
>that as it is just like a buzzing fly or insect they can try to swat.
>
>bookie

bookie, do you have Dollar stores in England? where everything is $1
(although now some of these stores here now charge $2 for some items). all
very cheap stuff from you-know-where. I've been buying my cat's laser
pointers there for 3-4 yrs now. $1 for the pointer plus various tips plus the
3 batteries needed. Dollar stores also sell cards of replacement batteries
for the pointers, 6 batteries per card for $1. both my cats love chasing the
red beam of light. great way to exercise them.
M.

bookie
May 9th 07, 02:03 PM
On 9 May, 02:45, "mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> bookie wrote:
> >> Laser pointers to amuse cat? Bah, humbug! Invested in a laser pointer
> >> with a nice bright red dot. Does the cat chase the dot? Of course not.
> >[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>
> >> Every silver lining has a cloud.
>
> >i haven't got one but I ahve considered getting one over the internet
> >probably as no pet shops seem to seel them, not sure i will bother
> >now. Jessie prefers to wrestle anythign filled with catnip or to chase
> >a wiggly worm thing on a piece of string, she also likes the 'cat
> >dancer' toy you described, it moves about erratically and they like
> >that as it is just like a buzzing fly or insect they can try to swat.
>
> >bookie
>
> bookie, do you have Dollar stores in England? where everything is $1
> (although now some of these stores here now charge $2 for some items). all
> very cheap stuff from you-know-where. I've been buying my cat's laser
> pointers there for 3-4 yrs now. $1 for the pointer plus various tips plus the
> 3 batteries needed. Dollar stores also sell cards of replacement batteries
> for the pointers, 6 batteries per card for $1. both my cats love chasing the
> red beam of light. great way to exercise them.
> M.

don't hink so, certainly not in my town anyway (very twee little
english market town with a high street full of totally useless and
overpriced designer clothes shops and coffee shops) although I do live
near a real scum hole of a town inhabited by thousands of chavs so I
migth go there and see if such places exist

thansk for the tip

bookie

sheelagh
May 9th 07, 02:15 PM
On 9 May, 14:03, bookie > wrote:

> > >[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

> > >i haven't got one but I ahve considered getting one over the internet
> > >probably as no pet shops seem to seel them, not sure i will bother
> > >now. Jessie prefers to wrestle anythign filled with catnip or to chase
> > >a wiggly worm thing on a piece of string, she also likes the 'cat
> > >dancer' toy you described, it moves about erratically and they like
> > >that as it is just like a buzzing fly or insect they can try to swat.
>
> > >bookie
>
> > bookie, do you have Dollar stores in England? where everything is $1
> > (although now some of these stores here now charge $2 for some items). all
> > very cheap stuff from you-know-where. I've been buying my cat's laser
> > pointers there for 3-4 yrs now. $1 for the pointer plus various tips plus the
> > 3 batteries needed. Dollar stores also sell cards of replacement batteries
> > for the pointers, 6 batteries per card for $1. both my cats love chasing the
> > red beam of light. great way to exercise them.
> > M.
>
> > --
>
> don't hink so, certainly not in my town anyway (very twee little
> english market town with a high street full of totally useless and
> overpriced designer clothes shops and coffee shops) although I do live
> near a real scum hole of a town inhabited by thousands of chavs so I
> migth go there and see if such places exist
>
> thansk for the tip
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

I must live near a real **** hole then...;(
Our nearest town is 10miles south & every damned other shop is a 1
shop or a Cheap, Cheap Cheap store in between those lovely shops like
Clinton Cards, another bloody post card and card shop, then a book
shop that sells, guess what?
You have it, CARDS!! I wondered down the high street the other day &
counted 5 card shops, 3 1 stores and not one bloody supermarket!! I
had to drive to a Tesco 3 miles on the outskirts to find someone that
sold lemons....!!
And this is ex prime minister country as well ( John Major)
Sad really
S;o)
PS: not one of them sells laser pens, we have to wait for the bank
holiday markets to get our mittens on one of them. Pity about that too
cuz the old one broke ages ago & the cats loved it LOL>"o"<

jmagerl[_2_]
May 9th 07, 04:39 PM
Mr. Bonkers loves laser pointers but only if I put one of the lenses on it.
He seems to be most playfull with the Skull lense. A red dot just doesn't do
it for him. I want a mouse lense. Got mine also from the dollar store.
(Actually I bought it for the batteries. 3 batteries for a dollar is cheap.
I usually toss the pointer in the draw and put the batteries in the
calculator)

ups.com...