PDA

View Full Version : Contaminated ingredient: not wheat gluten or RPC

Roby
May 9th 07, 10:13 PM
avma.org posted this yesterday:

"SCHAUMBURG, Ill. ? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined
that the contaminated wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported
from China?associated with the deaths of at least 16 dogs and cats and the
recall of hundreds of dog and cat food brands-was mislabeled and was really
wheat flour contaminated with melamine and melamine-related products."

Specialty foods formulated to avoid wheat allergies use RPC instead of
wheat gluten ... at least, that's what was supposed to happen. In fact,
the food contained wheat flour.

It goes on and on.

Sherry
May 9th 07, 10:24 PM
On May 9, 4:13 pm, Roby > wrote:
> avma.org posted this yesterday:
>
> "SCHAUMBURG, Ill. ? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined
> that the contaminated wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported
> from China?associated with the deaths of at least 16 dogs and cats and the
> recall of hundreds of dog and cat food brands-was mislabeled and was really
> wheat flour contaminated with melamine and melamine-related products."
>
> Specialty foods formulated to avoid wheat allergies use RPC instead of
> wheat gluten ... at least, that's what was supposed to happen. In fact,
> the food contained wheat flour.
>
> It goes on and on.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't get it. What was the intended use for
the with the wheat flour,
had been labeled correctly?
(Just a suggestion, but it would help if you'd provided a link to the
entire story)

Sherry

May 9th 07, 10:40 PM
Roby > wrote:

> avma.org posted this yesterday:

> "SCHAUMBURG, Ill. ? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined
> that the contaminated wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported
> from China?associated with the deaths of at least 16 dogs and cats and the
> recall of hundreds of dog and cat food brands-was mislabeled and was really
> wheat flour contaminated with melamine and melamine-related products."

> Specialty foods formulated to avoid wheat allergies use RPC instead of
> wheat gluten ... at least, that's what was supposed to happen. In fact,
> the food contained wheat flour.

What's RPC? Are you saying that wheat flour was used instead of RPC?

I wish newspapers would quit repeating the "16 dog and cat deaths" phrase
because it's more like 1400.

Joyce

Lynne
May 9th 07, 10:51 PM
on Wed, 09 May 2007 21:13:55 GMT, Roby > wrote:

> avma.org posted this yesterday:

http://avma.org/press/releases/070508_petfoodrecall.asp

This is crazy. Any idiot should be able to tell the difference between
flour and gluten on visual inspection. This tells me that not only are
these pet food mfgs not testing their ingredients, THEY AREN'T EVEN LOOKING
AT THEM!

[deleted string of expletives]

--
Lynne

"We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly
We are brave enough to bend to cry
And sad enough to know
We must laugh again"

~ Nikki Giovanni, 4/17/2007, Virginia Tech

Roby
May 10th 07, 12:59 AM
wrote:

> Roby > wrote:
>
> > avma.org posted this yesterday:
>
> > "SCHAUMBURG, Ill. ? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has
> > determined that the contaminated wheat gluten and rice protein
> > concentrate imported from China?associated with the deaths of at least
> > 16 dogs and cats and the recall of hundreds of dog and cat food
> > brands-was mislabeled and was really wheat flour contaminated with
> > melamine and melamine-related products."
>
> > Specialty foods formulated to avoid wheat allergies use RPC instead of
> > wheat gluten ... at least, that's what was supposed to happen. In
> > fact, the food contained wheat flour.
>

> What's RPC? Are you saying that wheat flour was used instead of RPC?
>
> I wish newspapers would quit repeating the "16 dog and cat deaths" phrase
> because it's more like 1400.
>
> Joyce
RPC = rice protein concentrate; a non-wheat vegetable protein that is used
in diets where wheat allergy is a problem. Using any wheat product there
is bad news.

The FDA says it happened. I've been reading the transcripts of the FDA
news briefings at http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html
It's a real mess.

May 10th 07, 01:14 AM
Roby > wrote:

>> What's RPC? Are you saying that wheat flour was used instead of RPC?
>
> RPC = rice protein concentrate; a non-wheat vegetable protein that is used
> in diets where wheat allergy is a problem. Using any wheat product there
> is bad news.

I think the news about rice protein being contaminated has been out for a
while. I guess, though, if what the FDA is saying is true, it wasn't rice
protein at all, but wheat flour. Either way, it was contaminated - I haven't
been buying anything with the words "rice protein" on the can for weeks now,
regardless of what was actually *inside* the can.

> The FDA says it happened. I've been reading the transcripts of the FDA
> news briefings at http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html
> It's a real mess.

It sure is!

Joyce

Cheryl
May 10th 07, 01:30 AM
On Wed 09 May 2007 05:51:05p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> http://avma.org/press/releases/070508_petfoodrecall.asp
>
> This is crazy. Any idiot should be able to tell the difference
> between flour and gluten on visual inspection. This tells me
> that not only are these pet food mfgs not testing their
> ingredients, THEY AREN'T EVEN LOOKING AT THEM!

Oops, sorry, didn't see the link at the top of your post. I guess
everyone found it already.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
May 10th 07, 01:35 AM
On Wed 09 May 2007 08:14:24p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

> I think the news about rice protein being contaminated has been
> out for a while. I guess, though, if what the FDA is saying is
> true, it wasn't rice protein at all, but wheat flour. Either
> way, it was contaminated - I haven't been buying anything with
> the words "rice protein" on the can for weeks now, regardless of
> what was actually *inside* the can.

The infuriating thing is that foods like Hill's Prescription ZD
(Hypoallergenic food) is formulated to avoid common allergens, and
wheat is a common allergen. Not saying that the RPC they used in
their food is really mislabeled wheat flour, but I think there was
another hypoallergenic food that was recalled. Just think that
someone may have ruled out a wheat allergy because kitty still had
symptoms.

--
Cheryl