PDA

View Full Version : Ping Phil re Metacam

---MIKE---
May 10th 07, 01:23 AM
Amber has arthritis and my vet has recommended oral Metacam. I have
read about cats dying from the use of Metacam. Do you have any opinions
on this?

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Barry
May 11th 07, 04:02 AM
On May 9, 8:23 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Amber has arthritis and my vet has recommended oral Metacam. I have
> read about cats dying from the use of Metacam. Do you have any opinions
> on this?
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

he's too busy feeding his cats chicken nuggets MIKE.

Have you told your vet what you just posted? what did he say?

I think it's good that we are getting more educated on the subject.

---MIKE---
May 11th 07, 02:57 PM
I have told my vet about this and he is going to get back to me.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew
May 11th 07, 03:21 PM
Mike everything I have been reading about it is it is not for cats just dogs
in the oral version
They use injections for the cats but a very limited use for the wrong
dosage in oral can cause renal failure
I have been reading some vets are prescribing it but the cat's liver can't
break it down as easily as a dog liver's can so a wrong dosage can be deadly

From what I am reading there are other products such as Cosequin
http://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/page.cfm?pageid=3& but I have no
expertise with all of these

"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
I have told my vet about this and he is going to get back to me.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 05:40 PM
On 11 May, 15:21, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Mike everything I have been reading about it is it is not for cats just dogs
> in the oral version
> They use injections for the cats but a very limited use for the wrong
> dosage in oral can cause renal failure
> I have been reading some vets are prescribing it but the cat's liver can't
> break it down as easily as a dog liver's can so a wrong dosage can be deadly
>
> From what I am reading there are other products such as Cosequinhttp://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/page.cfm?pageid=3& but I have no
> expertise with all of these
>
> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message

> I have told my vet about this and he is going to get back to me.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Cosequin

Is it less dangerous & does it have any noteable side effects at all?
Sometimes it is hard to know what is best for our friend, eh?
S;o)

Matthew
May 11th 07, 06:52 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ps.com...
On 11 May, 15:21, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Mike everything I have been reading about it is it is not for cats just
> dogs
> in the oral version
> They use injections for the cats but a very limited use for the wrong
> dosage in oral can cause renal failure
> I have been reading some vets are prescribing it but the cat's liver can't
> break it down as easily as a dog liver's can so a wrong dosage can be
> deadly
>
> From what I am reading there are other products such as
> Cosequinhttp://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/page.cfm?pageid=3& but I have
> no
> expertise with all of these
>
> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message

> I have told my vet about this and he is going to get back to me.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Cosequin

Is it less dangerous & does it have any noteable side effects at all?
Sometimes it is hard to know what is best for our friend, eh?
S;o)

Not sure Sheelagh just something that I found in reference to my searches
but I know metacam is harmful unless under the supervision of a vet that
knows what they are doing

blkcatgal
May 12th 07, 12:35 AM
Metacam has been approved for cats. My vet will prescribe it as a pain
medication. However, it is for short period of time use only; it is not
something that can be used for a long period of time because it can affect
the kidneys and liver.

S.

"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> On 11 May, 15:21, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> Mike everything I have been reading about it is it is not for cats just
>> dogs
>> in the oral version
>> They use injections for the cats but a very limited use for the wrong
>> dosage in oral can cause renal failure
>> I have been reading some vets are prescribing it but the cat's liver
>> can't
>> break it down as easily as a dog liver's can so a wrong dosage can be
>> deadly
>>
>> From what I am reading there are other products such as
>> Cosequinhttp://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/page.cfm?pageid=3& but I have
>> no
>> expertise with all of these
>>
>> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message

>> I have told my vet about this and he is going to get back to me.
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

> Cosequin
>
> Is it less dangerous & does it have any noteable side effects at all?
> Sometimes it is hard to know what is best for our friend, eh?
> S;o)
>

> Not sure Sheelagh just something that I found in reference to my searches
> but I know metacam is harmful unless under the supervision of a vet that
> knows what they are doing

Phil P.
May 12th 07, 05:32 AM
>"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>Amber has arthritis and my vet has recommended oral Metacam. I have
>read about cats dying from the use of Metacam. Do you have any opinions
>on this?

Mike,

We've been using low-dose metacam for our female spays- strictly as a
*single*, *one-time* SQ injection prior to surgery. I would not use or
recommend repeated doses of metacam in cats -- and especially not orally.
There are no studies on repeated doses and long term use of metacam in cats-
so your vet is just guessing.

If your vet blows off your concerns- find a new one. You owe your loyalty
to your cat- not your vet.

Here's an excerpt concerning metcam from the 2006 NAVC by a Diplomate of the
American College of Veterinary Surgeons:

"Safety studies performed to assess the safety of the one time 0.3 mg/kg SQ
meloxicam dose demonstrated a narrow margin of safety. Cats given 0.3 mg/kg
for eight days developed vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and decreased food
consumption. Two of 4 cats were moribund or dead by day 9, and reddened GI
mucosa was seen at necropsy in 3 of 4 cats. Repeated use of meloxicam in
cats in clinical settings has been associated with renal failure and death.
(package insert) Since there are no studies examining the pharmacokinetics
and pharmacokinetics of repeat dosing of meloxicam, it is not known if there
is an effective long term dose with minimal toxicity. Thus, recommended
long term doses of 0.025 mg/kg daily or every other day are based solely on
clinician experience." Elizabeth M. Hardie, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVS,
College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
North American Veterinary Conference January 7, 2006"

Phil

---MIKE---
May 12th 07, 08:31 PM
Thanks Phil. I will send a copy of your post to my vet. I have already
alerted him to the dangers. I'm sure he won't blow me off. I'm
thinking of Cosequin now.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Barry
May 13th 07, 12:35 AM
On May 12, 3:31 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I'm sure he won't blow me off. I'm
> thinking of Cosequin now.

I don't know MIKE, you never know who polish a knob anymore

i guess it's worth a shot