PDA

View Full Version : TIGGY HAS BAD BREATH

sheelagh
May 10th 07, 02:03 PM
In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.

Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
I'm stumped.

We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(

S;o)

Noon Cat Nick
May 10th 07, 04:01 PM
sheelagh wrote:

>In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
>that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
>but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
>hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
>look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
>breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
>hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
>infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
>I'm stumped.
>
> We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
>bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
>up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
>S;o)

It could be a gastrointestinal situation. Halitosis in cats often comes
from the stomach and esophagus. Food isn't being digested adequately,
and is moving too slowly through the digestive tract, causing abnormal
bacteria populations to populate the system.

Tiggy might have also eaten something unusual. If she scavenged through
garbage somewhere, ate certain plants, or consumed something
indigestible, any of those could also cause odoriferous breath.

HTH.

Buddy's Mom
May 10th 07, 07:47 PM
Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
year she could have a stomach full of them.

On May 10, 9:03�am, sheelagh > wrote:
> In the last *2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
> that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
> but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
> hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
> look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
> breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
> hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
> infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> *Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
> I'm stumped.
>
> *We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
> bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
> up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
> S;o)

Petzl
May 10th 07, 11:35 PM
On 10 May 2007 06:03:52 -0700, sheelagh
> wrote:

>In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
>that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
>but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
>hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
>look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
>breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
>hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
>infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
>I'm stumped.
>
> We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
>bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
>up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
>S;o)

My guess?

Go to your supermarket and get some acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc
capsules. Include a little at feeding time once a month( capsule
with food) This should get your cats intestinal tract working
efficiently (good for you too). Not a laxative just gets their/your
number two's shiny and regular
These are naturally occurring intestinal bacteria (Flora) often killed
off by modern food preservatives medicines etc
***
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.67.6.1005#search=%2...
or http://tinyurl.com/ktpe3

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance-Probiotic strain L acidophilus
DSM13241 fed at 2 108 CFU/d can alter the balance of
gastrointestinal microflora in healthy cats. Furthermore,
administration of this probiotic results in beneficial systemic and
immunomodulatory effects in cats.
***

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>

sheelagh
May 10th 07, 11:40 PM
On 10 May, 16:01, Noon Cat Nick >
wrote:
> sheelagh wrote:
> >In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
> >that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
> >but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
> >hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
> >look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
> >breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
> >hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
> >infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> > Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
> >I'm stumped.
>
> > We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
> >bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
> >up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
> >S;o)
>
> It could be a gastrointestinal situation. Halitosis in cats often comes
> from the stomach and esophagus. Food isn't being digested adequately,
> and is moving too slowly through the digestive tract, causing abnormal
> bacteria populations to populate the system.
>
> Tiggy might have also eaten something unusual. If she scavenged through
> garbage somewhere, ate certain plants, or consumed something
> indigestible, any of those could also cause odoriferous breath.
>
> HTH.- Hide quoted text -

I haven't changed her food recently..she is eating Iams Kitten dry
with 2 pouches of whiskers kitten food too (wet meat) currently,
because she needed to gain a little weight after her kittens were born
& she had her pyorectamy was performed. However, I did catch her
nibbling @ a square of toilet paper the other day. I wonder if that
has anything to do with it? Perhaps she is asking for a good dose of
grass to eat? She does need some occasionally. Thanks for the
suggestion NCN. I think it is something to do with what she is eating,
but I can't put my finger on what...?

She is a 3 year old female spayed cat (quite recently!!) & other than
the pyometra & a nasty does of ring worm, very kindly supplied from
her breeder, we have never had any other difficulties with her.
Strange, isn't it?
S;o)

sheelagh
May 10th 07, 11:49 PM
On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
> Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
> year she could have a stomach full of them.
>
> On May 10, 9:03?am, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > In the last ?2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
> > that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
> > but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
> > hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
> > look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
> > breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
> > hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
> > infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> > ?Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
> > I'm stumped.
>
> > ?We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
> > bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
> > up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

I think this might be the problem you know.
She does produce some wonderful ones
<Yeeeuucky>

She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
they do stink too!!
I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
you.
Thanks BM!

Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
with this problem?
All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
that much fun, poor thing!?
S;o)

Petzl
May 11th 07, 12:01 AM
On 10 May 2007 15:49:10 -0700, sheelagh
> wrote:

>On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>> Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
>> year she could have a stomach full of them.
>>
>> On May 10, 9:03?am, sheelagh > wrote:
>>

>> > In the last ?2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
>> > that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
>> > but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
>> > hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
>> > look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
>> > breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
>> > hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
>> > infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>>
>> > ?Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
>> > I'm stumped.
>>
>> > ?We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
>> > bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
>> > up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>>
>> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

>I think this might be the problem you know.
>She does produce some wonderful ones
><Yeeeuucky>
>
>She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
>happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
>the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
>they do stink too!!
>I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
>you.
>Thanks BM!
>
>Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
>with this problem?
>All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
>that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
>that much fun, poor thing!?
>S;o)

Brushing will help remove loose fur and stop cause of hairball's
Meantime a (laxative) teaspoon of "Flaxseed Oil" will purge system

Again occasional feeding of acidophilus from Supermarket health
department/shelf get cats intestinal system back on/in gear

Australian example
<http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/Product/innerhealth.htm>

Yogurt full cream (no sugar) contains this if a cat will eat
desertspoon full of it? Mine don't

Petzl
--
SECURE YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER NOW!!
<http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp> Keep Windows UPDATED

<http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5> AVG 7.0 Free Edition" Anti-Virus

<http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx> Check your computer for "SpyWare" (free MS Product)

<http://www.zonelabs.com/> a good firewall for windows(free version available)

<http://www.password-depot.com/index.htm> Use a Password Saver on USB removable drive to store passwords

bookie
May 11th 07, 12:04 AM
On 10 May, 23:49, sheelagh > wrote:
> On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>

> > Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
> > year she could have a stomach full of them.
>
> > On May 10, 9:03?am, sheelagh > wrote:
>
> > > In the last ?2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
> > > that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
> > > but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
> > > hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
> > > look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
> > > breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
> > > hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
> > > infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> > > ?Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
> > > I'm stumped.
>
> > > ?We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
> > > bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
> > > up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
> > > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> I think this might be the problem you know.
> She does produce some wonderful ones
> <Yeeeuucky>
>
> She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
> happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
> the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
> they do stink too!!
> I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
> you.
> Thanks BM!
>
> Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
> with this problem?
> All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
> that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
> that much fun, poor thing!?
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

there are foods specifically for cats with hairball problems aren't
there? royal canin and those companies make them, never had recourse
to try them so don't know how effective they are, never had a cat with
bad hairballs problems as never had a long haired cat I suppose, or
maybe our shorthaired ones had hairball issues but chose to deal with
them outside where we couldn't see all the retching.

if it is hairballs then give those a go, or you can get stuff liek a
white paraffin jelly fromthe evts which can help stuff liek fluff hair
and toilet paper go through her more easily if that is causing a
blockage and the smell. I know this as when tegan used to eat people's
jumpers and anything fluffy (before she learnt her lesson with the
pyjama cord and a long stay in the vets surgery) the vet gave us this
stuff to help ease through any odd stuff she had decided to munch, on
the few occaisons when we were not vigilant and left out a towel or
sweater that is.

have you not asked your vet? I am sure they won't mind if you just
ring them up and quickly ask? you are on their books now.
how are things proceeding with reporting the other vets who nearly
murdered lilly?

bookie

Buddy's Mom
May 11th 07, 01:28 AM
I use Temptations for Hairballs - about 10 per day seem to keep them
cleaned out - and brushing or combing them as mcuh as possible helps
too. But no one really understands the smell and problems that
hairballs cause - not even the vets! Good luck!

On May 10, 6:49�pm, sheelagh > wrote:
> On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>

> > Hairballs. *They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
> > year she could have a stomach full of them.
>
> > On May 10, 9:03?am, sheelagh > wrote:
>
> > > In the last ?2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
> > > that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
> > > but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
> > > hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
> > > look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
> > > breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
> > > hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
> > > infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> > > ?Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
> > > I'm stumped.
>
> > > ?We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
> > > bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
> > > up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
> > > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> I think this might be the problem you know.
> She does produce some wonderful ones
> <Yeeeuucky>
>
> She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
> happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
> the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
> they do stink too!!
> I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
> you.
> Thanks BM!
>
> Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
> with this problem?
> All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
> that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
> that much fun, poor thing!?
> S;o)- Hide quoted text -

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 11:55 AM
On 11 May, 00:01, Petzl > wrote:
> On 10 May 2007 15:49:10 -0700, sheelagh
>

> > wrote:
> >On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
> >> Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
> >> year she could have a stomach full of them.

> >I think this might be the problem you know.
> >She does produce some wonderful ones
> ><Yeeeuucky>
>
> >She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
> >happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
> >the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
> >they do stink too!!
> >I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
> >you.
> >Thanks BM!
>
> >Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
> >with this problem?
> >All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
> >that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
> >that much fun, poor thing!?
> >S;o)
>
> Brushing will help remove loose fur and stop cause of hairball's
> Meantime a (laxative) teaspoon of "Flaxseed Oil" will purge system
>
> Again occasional feeding of acidophilus from Supermarket health
> department/shelf get cats intestinal system back on/in gear
>
> Australian example
> <http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/Product/innerhealth.htm>
>
> Yogurt full cream (no sugar) contains this if a cat will eat
> desertspoon full of it? Mine don't
>
> Petzl
> --
> SECURE YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER NOW!!
> <http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp> Keep Windows UPDATED
>
> <http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5> AVG 7.0 Free Edition" Anti-Virus
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx> Check your computer for "SpyWare" (free MS Product)
>
> <http://www.zonelabs.com/> a good firewall for windows(free version available)
>
> <http://www.password-depot.com/index.htm> Use a Password Saver on USB removable drive to store passwords- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that one mate. she has just had a desert spoon full of full
fat yogurt. Now she has one foot on the spoon looking @ me as if to
see.." & just how long have y'all been hiding this & depriving me...."
I hope it does the trick @ the right end, lol!!
S;o) Ta for that

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 12:00 PM
On 10 May, 23:35, Petzl > wrote:
> On 10 May 2007 06:03:52 -0700, sheelagh
>

> > wrote:
> >In the last 2-3weeks or so, Tiggy has developed bad breath. I know
> >that sometimes that dental problems can cause problems such as this,
> >but I know that there is nothing wrong with her teeth, kidney's, she
> >hasn't got worms & her gums appear to be fine. I also got the vet to
> >look at her annal glands because the last time we had a cat with bad
> >breath, it was Lilly who became very ill indeed & ended up with a
> >hysterectomy, cause by her licking her rear end to clear up the
> >infected matter..so I wanted to eliminate that too.
>
> > Has anyone got any idea's as to what might be causing this problem?
> >I'm stumped.
>
> > We have had her teeth & gums looked at, a feaces sample examined,
> >bloods done, for diabetes, & renal checks... but so far we have come
> >up with Nothing. I am starting to get worride;o(
>
> >S;o)
>
> My guess?
>
> Go to your supermarket and get some acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc
> capsules. Include a little at feeding time once a month( capsule
> with food) This should get your cats intestinal tract working
> efficiently (good for you too). Not a laxative just gets their/your
> number two's shiny and regular
> These are naturally occurring intestinal bacteria (Flora) often killed
> off by modern food preservatives medicines etc
> ***http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.67.6.1005#search=%2...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/ktpe3
>
> Conclusions and Clinical Relevance-Probiotic strain L acidophilus
> DSM13241 fed at 2 108 CFU/d can alter the balance of
> gastrointestinal microflora in healthy cats. Furthermore,
> administration of this probiotic results in beneficial systemic and
> immunomodulatory effects in cats.
> ***
>
> Petzl
> --
> The ONLY email address you will EVER need
> <http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
> SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox- Hide quoted text -

I have just written it on the shopping list for tomorrow when I do my
weekly resupplying the army that I have to feed here.
I'm going to try Holland & Barretts, they should have some there.
Failing that, I will have to have a look on line for it.
Once again, thanks very much indeed;o)
S.

Petzl
May 11th 07, 12:18 PM
On 11 May 2007 03:55:54 -0700, sheelagh
> wrote:

>Thanks for that one mate. she has just had a desert spoon full of full
>fat yogurt. Now she has one foot on the spoon looking @ me as if to
>see.." & just how long have y'all been hiding this & depriving me...."
>I hope it does the trick @ the right end, lol!!
>S;o) Ta for that

Pretty sure it will do the trick but would like to hear if it does
Good luck

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 12:39 PM
On 11 May, 00:04, bookie > wrote:
> On 10 May, 23:49, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>
> > > Hairballs. They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
> > > year she could have a stomach full of them.

> > I think this might be the problem you know.
> > She does produce some wonderful ones
> > <Yeeeuucky>
>
> > She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
> > happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
> > the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
> > they do stink too!!
> > I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
> > you.
> > Thanks BM!
>
> > Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
> > with this problem?
> > All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
> > that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
> > that much fun, poor thing!?
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

> there are foods specifically for cats with hairball problems aren't
> there? royal canin and those companies make them, never had recourse
> to try them so don't know how effective they are, never had a cat with
> bad hairballs problems as never had a long haired cat I suppose, or
> maybe our shorthaired ones had hairball issues but chose to deal with
> them outside where we couldn't see all the retching.
>
> if it is hairballs then give those a go, or you can get stuff liek a
> white paraffin jelly fromthe evts which can help stuff liek fluff hair
> and toilet paper go through her more easily if that is causing a
> blockage and the smell. I know this as when tegan used to eat people's
> jumpers and anything fluffy (before she learnt her lesson with the
> pyjama cord and a long stay in the vets surgery) the vet gave us this
> stuff to help ease through any odd stuff she had decided to munch, on
> the few occaisons when we were not vigilant and left out a towel or
> sweater that is.
>
> have you not asked your vet? I am sure they won't mind if you just
> ring them up and quickly ask? you are on their books now.
> how are things proceeding with reporting the other vets who nearly
> murdered lilly?
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

> there are foods specifically for cats with hairball problems aren't
> there? royal canin and those companies make them, never had recourse
> to try them so don't know how effective they are, never had a cat with
> bad hairballs problems as never had a long haired cat I suppose, or
> maybe our shorthaired ones had hairball issues but chose to deal with
> them outside where we couldn't see all the retching.

Yes, I know there is. We tried Royal Canin on her, but all it did was
give her the ****s, which was a little toooo counter productive.

I do brush her with my speacial 1 glove mitt. It's another one of
those things that you find in the pound shops, that is rather handy.
You lob it on your hand & keep the waste paper right next to you, then
proceed to stroke them into a frenzy until they get to the stage of
sheer rapture and offer you their belly's to do as well!( how
thoughtful, eh? ). Once the rubber toothed side of the mitt is full,
you simply empty it out in the bin, & start all over again. Lucky old
me;o)

If I have time to spare they even get the old head lice comb through
them too, especially near their knickerbockers which seem to shed
loads of fur >"o"<

> if it is hairballs then give those a go, or you can get stuff liek a
> white paraffin jelly fromthe evts which can help stuff liek fluff hair
> and toilet paper go through her more easily if that is causing a
> blockage and the smell. I know this as when tegan used to eat people's
> jumpers and anything fluffy (before she learnt her lesson with the
> pyjama cord and a long stay in the vets surgery) the vet gave us this
> stuff to help ease through any odd stuff she had decided to munch, on
> the few occasions when we were not vigilant and left out a towel or
> sweater that is..

I'm sure she would be delighted with a dose of that one. we had a dog
that used to do that. didn't matter what it was...socks, toys, rope,
you name it really!! We had to dose her with that stinky stuff that
you refer to. If nothing else worked, I would certainly give that one
a go. Anyway, how thoughtless of us to leave "anything" lying around,
just for her to eat....!! If I had just locked that toilet door from
the outside, then she would never have had the chance to undo the
toilet roll off the spindle & then eat it..really, it is outrageous of
me!! I should have guessed that Bog roll was her favourite!?

> have you not asked your vet? I am sure they won't mind if you just
> ring them up and quickly ask? you are on their books now.
> how are things proceeding with reporting the other vets who nearly
> murdered Lilly?

Of course I have. I went to see him 3days ago for the bloods and xray
to see if there was any blockage in the tummy(ie: Ross's socks), then
again yesterday morning after all the results came back. He mentioned
the fact that it "might" be a hair ball, but I thought it was a bit
far fetched. it would seem that I have underestimated the power of fur
balls.. His only other thoughts on the matter were that she might have
eaten something that she shouldn't have done. I have discounted that
one though, because we get rid of all rubbish outside in the bin
straight away because of past bad experiences. There is nothing like
waking up to find that the dustbin all over the kitchen floor really,
is there?

> how are things proceeding with reporting the other vets who nearly
> murdered lilly?

This one has to be the joke of the century

They have offered me an out of court settlement that would only just
have covered the bill they sent me, so I laughed & instructed my
solicitor to proceed if she felt it was worthwhile pursuing the matter
further, & she does, so we are.

The CHEEK of it... Just enough to cover the bill that I should never
have paid in the 1st place. I'm mad @ myself for paying what I did
really.. what was she going to do? Hold my cat to ransom? Or reposes
her?
More news as It happens on this one. strange you should ask actually,
because I only heard from her 2 days ago!!
S;o)

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 01:13 PM
On 11 May, 12:18, Petzl > wrote:
> On 11 May 2007 03:55:54 -0700, sheelagh
>
> > wrote:
> >Thanks for that one mate. she has just had a desert spoon full of full
> >fat yogurt. Now she has one foot on the spoon looking @ me as if to
> >see.." & just how long have y'all been hiding this & depriving me...."
> >I hope it does the trick @ the right end, lol!!
> >S;o) Ta for that
>
> Pretty sure it will do the trick but would like to hear if it does
> Good luck
>
> Petzl
> --
> The ONLY email address you will EVER need
> <http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
> SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

I promise to let you know how we go.
And, Thank you for very much for the advice indeed. it is
appreciated!!

S;o)

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 01:15 PM
On 11 May, 01:28, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
> I use Temptations for Hairballs - about 10 per day seem to keep them
> cleaned out - and brushing or combing them as mcuh as possible helps
> too. But no one really understands the smell and problems that
> hairballs cause - not even the vets! Good luck!
>
> On May 10, 6:49?pm, sheelagh > wrote:
>

> > On 10 May, 19:47, Buddy's Mom > wrote:
>
> > > Hairballs. ?They make their breath smell really bad and this time of
> > > year she could have a stomach full of them.

> > I think this might be the problem you know.
> > She does produce some wonderful ones
> > <Yeeeuucky>
>
> > She very often sits there retching to get one up. Whenever this
> > happens, we normally allow her out for a quick nibble of grass to help
> > the process along a little, because it seems to do the trick..& yes,
> > they do stink too!!
> > I think you might have put your finger on this one for me between
> > you.
> > Thanks BM!
>
> > Other than grass, is there anything that I can give her to help out
> > with this problem?
> > All of the others have Hair- balls, but no where near to the extent
> > that Tiggy does.. I feel for her with this problem. It can't be all
> > that much fun, poor thing!?
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -

POOOOOOH, your telling me they don't.!!!!!
I have never smelt a whiff like this one...
It really is a championship winner, I assure you, LOL
S;o)

---MIKE---
May 11th 07, 02:54 PM
Petzi wrote:

>>Go to your supermarket and get some
>> acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc
>> capsules. Include a little at feeding
>> time once a month( capsule with
>> food).

It's better to get the capsules at a health food store where they are
kept refrigerated. Make sure it's a capsule that can be opened so the
powder can be used in the food.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 04:00 PM
On 11 May, 14:54, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Petzi wrote:
> >>Go to your supermarket and get some
> >> acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc
> >> capsules. Include a little at feeding
> >> time once a month( capsule with
> >> food).
>
> It's better to get the capsules at a health food store where they are
> kept refrigerated. Make sure it's a capsule that can be opened so the
> powder can be used in the food.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

ok, thank you for that information. I had no idea that they were kept
in a fridge & would have ended up buying a load of Kack!
S;o)

bookie
May 11th 07, 06:08 PM
On 11 May, 12:39, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> waking up to find that the dustbin all over the kitchen floor really,
> is there?
>
> > how are things proceeding with reporting the other vets who nearly
> > murdered lilly?
>
> This one has to be the joke of the century
>
> They have offered me an out of court settlement that would only just
> have covered the bill they sent me, so I laughed & instructed my
> solicitor to proceed if she felt it was worthwhile pursuing the matter
> further, & she does, so we are.
>
> The CHEEK of it... Just enough to cover the bill that I should never
> have paid in the 1st place. I'm mad @ myself for paying what I did
> really.. what was she going to do? Hold my cat to ransom? Or reposes
> her?
> More news as It happens on this one. strange you should ask actually,
> because I only heard from her 2 days ago!!

excellent, good that you are not taking this crap from her lying down,
can;t believe they think that you will just accept a settlement which
barely covers the bill they charged you in the first place! what about
emotional trauma etc? if this was the US they woudl be offering
thousands out of court because they know that you coudl get so much
more if it went to court because of their blatant negligence, they
obviously think that you are as gormless as the rest fo the UK when it
comes to what you can get in a court of law and that you will just
take anything you are offered.

Now i dont; totally agree with some of the mad thinsg the yanks go to
court over or the settlements reached but sometimes it is neccessary
in order to get people to take their responsibvilites and their duty
of care seriously, too many people in this country (UK) take the ****
over duty of care and too many victims don't know they can go to court
or are too scared too cos "we just don't do that sort of thing" which
is utter crap. People in the UK shoudl start using the court system a
bit more inoder to make peolpe start being more acconutable for their
shoddy and dangerous actions (or inaction in the case of your ex-vet)
then maybe people offering services like this will take much more care
and be more careful about what they get up to which they will if they
know they migth be faced with a massive court case if they don't.

take her for everything she has if needs be, if that puts her out of
business then it will be a good thing as she won't be able to harm or
endanger any one else's animals in future so you will be doing people
a favour. You go girl!!!!

bookie

sheelagh
May 11th 07, 07:28 PM
On 11 May, 18:08, bookie > wrote:
> [...]
>
> take her for everything she has if needs be, if that puts her out of
> business then it will be a good thing as she won't be able to harm or
> endanger any one else's animals in future so you will be doing people
> a favour. You go girl!!!!
>
> bookie- Hide quoted text -

> excellent, good that you are not taking this crap from her lying down,
> can;t believe they think that you will just accept a settlement which
> barely covers the bill they charged you in the first place! what about
> emotional trauma etc? if this was the US they woudl be offering
> thousands out of court because they know that you coudl get so much
> more if it went to court because of their blatant negligence, they
> obviously think that you are as gormless as the rest fo the UK when it
> comes to what you can get in a court of law and that you will just

I was outraged when the solicitor called me with the settlement figure
that they offered me. I guess it is no secret really. They offered me
500 to drop the case & not take it any further. I thought someone was
trying to wind me up when I first heard what they had to offer, but
thought twice when I realised that she meant it... The very least I
would expect is an Apology, the fee charged for the pyometra operation
due to her neglecting to treat her for a further3 days, refunded &
something for the pain & suffering that Lilly went through & we went
through too. I used to laugh when I read some of the more outrageous
settlements I have heard of in the past ( or I felt were
outrageous!!)..

But having been through a cat who has been diagnosed with a huge
infection, then your vet pulling a sicky & leaving me no alternative
other than to leave her in that vets care, because I had no access to
her, despite repeated calls to ask if I might have access and remove
her..but no answer to her emergency number either, you have to wonder
what was going through her mind to do this in the first place..??

There was a further request that if she cleared the bill for us & gave
us the spare change, that we did not write the Royal College Of
Veterinary Surgeons & report the incident. Now that was enough to
drive me batty!! She must be having a laugh?!

However, when my solicitor pointed out that we have a record of
Lilly's care sheets whilst she was with her, & that we fully intended
to do just that, If she didn't come up with a reasonable offer, an
apology stating that &she neglected Lilly too, that we were not
interested. She also pointed out that whatever the vet does, it is our
intention to report her to the RCOVS, to ensure that no one else's cat/
animal ever has to suffer or endure such misery again. I have no idea
if she has ever been reported for malpractice before, but I did get
the general feeling that she has. anyway, next time the animal
concerned might no be so lucky & might die. That is Exactly why the
letter has already been written & sent to them. after all, we are
talking about a life here, not a pair of trousers that were ruined in
the damned trouser press!!!

> take her for everything she has if needs be, if that puts her out of
> business then it will be a good thing as she won't be able to harm or
> endanger any one else's animals in future so you will be doing people
> a favour. You go girl!!!!

In return we have had a letter of acknowledgement that they have
received the letter & will be doing their own internal investigation
before responding in full, which is only proper & as it should be.
They also acknowledged that they had received a copy of Lilly's care
sheets and a copy of the report that my current veterinary surgeon
complied after assessing Lilly the day after her Op & his conclusions
too. I have a feeling that she is cornered & will either have to admit
to malpractice & full compensation as well. What happens internally to
her is nothing to do with me, but I can't help but [email protected] the very
least it will be a very severe reprimand, because I wouldn't wish what
happened to either Lilly or ourselves on any one else, ever.

I did go through a stage where I questioned my conscience, & wondered
if I might be over reacting to this incident- after all, she might
have her licence to practise withdrawn & therefore no income either...
but It really didn't take too long to come to the conclusion that what
happened was pure neglect, & the other thing I took into account was
whether she would have done the same to me, were the shoe on the other
foot so to speak. I am certain that she would.. she is a very astute
business woman...
Now we are waiting for another letter from the outcome of the enquiry
& to see if there are any further offers, but we have put in for a
court hearing too which I expect to receive anytime now. Keep you
posted on that one!
S;o)

Petzl
May 12th 07, 12:46 AM
On 11 May 2007 04:00:46 -0700, sheelagh
> wrote:

>I have just written it on the shopping list for tomorrow when I do my
>weekly resupplying the army that I have to feed here.
>I'm going to try Holland & Barretts, they should have some there.
>Failing that, I will have to have a look on line for it.
>Once again, thanks very much indeed;o)
>S.
AS your cat does eat yogurt this is not now necessary

The bad breath (not that cats have good breath) should be fixed
instantaneously? After a good dollop (tablespoonful) of yogurt (no
sugar)
Once a week or even month is enough IMO

Advantages of using acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc capsules is some
of the bacteria strains can survive stomach and work on cleaning
lower intestine as well. Particularly the Japanese variety called
"Yakult" about 60 cents a bottle

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

Petzl
May 12th 07, 12:52 AM
On 11 May 2007 08:00:13 -0700, sheelagh
> wrote:

>> It's better to get the capsules at a health food store where they are
>> kept refrigerated. Make sure it's a capsule that can be opened so the
>> powder can be used in the food.
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

>ok, thank you for that information. I had no idea that they were kept
>in a fridge & would have ended up buying a load of Kack!
>S;o)

Hmm my supermarket does has them in fridge?
But yes, also check expiry dates
The bacteria though is tough and survives a large temperature range
Read the label first for warnings about temp and expiry

Petzl
--
The ONLY email address you will EVER need
<http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

bookie
May 12th 07, 03:27 PM
On 11 May, 19:28, sheelagh > wrote:
> [...]
> least it will be a very severe reprimand, because I wouldn't wish what
> happened to either Lilly or ourselves on any one else, ever.
>
> I did go through a stage where I questioned my conscience, & wondered
> if I might be over reacting to this incident- after all, she might
> have her licence to practise withdrawn & therefore no income either...
> but It really didn't take too long to come to the conclusion that what
> happened was pure neglect, & the other thing I took into account was
> whether she would have done the same to me, were the shoe on the other
> foot so to speak. I am certain that she would.. she is a very astute
> business woman...
> Now we are waiting for another letter from the outcome of the enquiry
> & to see if there are any further offers, but we have put in for a
> court hearing too which I expect to receive anytime now. Keep you

good on you! it is obvious from the fact that she has requested that
you don't report her to the RCVS that she has a lot to hide and a lot
to lose and she knows she will get struck off for what she has (or
rather has not) done with your cat. She is fully aware of how serious
this whole situation is ansd that it coudl cost her dearly and that is
why she wants you to keep shtum.

don't let anything anyone says put you off, if she loses her income
etc then that is a GOOD THING as she is obviously not cut out to be a
vet and is too neglectful for the job, if she can no longer practise
then it will be a saving grace for all the other cats and dogs and
suchliek who might have been left in her care and not come away as
'lucky' as Lilly. You are right, we are talking about a life here,
just because it is not a human life doesn't make it any less
important, in fact think of all the wonderful times and special
moments that Lilly brings to you and you see that her life is probably
much more precious than your average oxygen-thieving humans (those
****s who shot at ringo srping to mind here).

keep the faith and remember that what you are doing is the right thing
entirely

bookie

Buddy's Mom
May 12th 07, 05:32 PM
You are still going to have to give something to get the hair balls
out. I don't think acidophilus is going to do that - it will only
balance the good bacteria in the intestines.

On May 11, 7:46�pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On 11 May 2007 04:00:46 -0700, sheelagh
>
> > wrote:
> >I have just written it on the shopping list for tomorrow when I do my
> >weekly resupplying the army that I have to feed here.
> >I'm going to try Holland & Barretts, they should have some there.
> >Failing that, I will have to have a look on line for it.
> >Once again, thanks very much indeed;o)
> >S.
>
> AS your cat does eat yogurt this is not now necessary
>
> The bad breath (not that cats have good breath) should be fixed
> instantaneously? After a good dollop (tablespoonful) of yogurt (no
> sugar)
> Once a week or even month is enough IMO
>
> Advantages of using acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc capsules is some
> of *the bacteria strains can survive stomach and work on cleaning
> lower intestine as well. Particularly the Japanese variety called
> "Yakult" about 60 cents a bottle
>
> Petzl
> --
> The ONLY email address you will EVER need
> <http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
> SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

Petzl
May 13th 07, 01:50 AM
On 12 May 2007 09:32:13 -0700, Buddy's Mom > wrote:

>You are still going to have to give something to get the hair balls
>out. I don't think acidophilus is going to do that - it will only
>balance the good bacteria in the intestines.

The acidophilus bacteria effectively breaks down and helps clear the
intestinal passage (Gives one a good natural shiny number two) And
cannot hurt a cat

Feeding Yogurt should stop it reoccurring.and should fix existing
problem (If cat will eat it)

After finding out the effectiveness of acidophilus. My cats
(Shorthair Alley) have never had hairball's since and this has been
for years now. I also brush my cats

Petzl
--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

May 14th 07, 05:19 PM
On 12 May, 00:46, Petzl > wrote:
> On 11 May 2007 04:00:46 -0700, sheelagh
>
> > wrote:
> >I have just written it on the shopping list for tomorrow when I do my
> >weekly resupplying the army that I have to feed here.
> >I'm going to try Holland & Barretts, they should have some there.
> >Failing that, I will have to have a look on line for it.
> >Once again, thanks very much indeed;o)
> >S.
>
> AS your cat does eat yogurt this is not now necessary
>
> Thebadbreath(not that cats have goodbreath) should be fixed
> instantaneously? After a good dollop (tablespoonful) of yogurt (no
> sugar)
> Once a week or even month is enough IMO
>
> Advantages of using acidophilus/Bifidobacterium/etc capsules is some
> of the bacteria strains can survive stomach and work on cleaning
> lower intestine as well. Particularly the Japanese variety called
> "Yakult" about 60 cents a bottle
>
> Petzl
> --
> The ONLY email address you will EVER need
> <http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
> SpamCop Email service for a spamfree inbox

I wonder if this one did the trick?

I have tried the same thing as this poster and it worked almost
straight away for the long haired cat we were caring for @ the time.
The following day he got rid of a huge meat ball sized fur balls &
everything was fine after that. I would recommend this approach to any
one who's cat's have the same problem, but make sure that you have the
cat looked at first by the vet to discount any other possible reasons
first.
K.