PDA

View Full Version : Steroids for Kitty Arthritis

Peg Caldwell Ott
May 11th 07, 12:15 AM
Our wonderful kitty, Alino (pronounced Ah-leen-yo, like the spice) has
been having some problems with arthritis in his right shoulder for
just over a year. On the advice of our vet, we have been giving him a
St. Joseph's children's aspirin once every three days, and that does
seem to help enormously. He also gets Cosaquin powder mixed into his
daily food (highly recommended for cats with arthritis) and that helps
too. But, the problem appears to be becoming worse, especially on the
third day, before we can give him another aspirin. On those days in
particular, his limp is very pronounced. The vet says we cannot
increase the aspirin dose or frequency due to potential liver
problems--and Alino already has some weird liver values that the vet
understands to be "normal" for him. Consequently, the vet is
recommending that we move on to a steriod medication like Prednazone.
We understand that Alino would have to be without any aspirin at all
for a week, and that we will have to "load" him with a steriod
medication for a few days, and then begin to cut it back to see how
small a dosage we can get away with and still keep Alino comfortable.
We also understand that steriod medications have side effects,
including increased drinking and urination--not a problem for Alino
who does not drink all that much anyway.

Does anyone have experience with arthritis in more senior cats and
experience with giving the animal steroids? Which medication would you
recommend? What other side effects should we look for?

Alino is a blue-point Siamese, 16 years old on June 23, with a very
muscular build and an incredibly sweet disposition--just a loving
little guy!! His older brother, Amaretto, died of diabetes and CRF on
April 7, from which we are all still recovering.

PegNDerek

Wendy
May 11th 07, 12:59 AM
"Peg Caldwell Ott" > wrote in message

> Our wonderful kitty, Alino (pronounced Ah-leen-yo, like the spice) has
> been having some problems with arthritis in his right shoulder for
> just over a year. On the advice of our vet, we have been giving him a
> St. Joseph's children's aspirin once every three days, and that does
> seem to help enormously. He also gets Cosaquin powder mixed into his
> daily food (highly recommended for cats with arthritis) and that helps
> too. But, the problem appears to be becoming worse, especially on the
> third day, before we can give him another aspirin. On those days in
> particular, his limp is very pronounced. The vet says we cannot
> increase the aspirin dose or frequency due to potential liver
> problems--and Alino already has some weird liver values that the vet
> understands to be "normal" for him. Consequently, the vet is
> recommending that we move on to a steriod medication like Prednazone.
> We understand that Alino would have to be without any aspirin at all
> for a week, and that we will have to "load" him with a steriod
> medication for a few days, and then begin to cut it back to see how
> small a dosage we can get away with and still keep Alino comfortable.
> We also understand that steriod medications have side effects,
> including increased drinking and urination--not a problem for Alino
> who does not drink all that much anyway.
>
> Does anyone have experience with arthritis in more senior cats and
> experience with giving the animal steroids? Which medication would you
> recommend? What other side effects should we look for?
>
> Alino is a blue-point Siamese, 16 years old on June 23, with a very
> muscular build and an incredibly sweet disposition--just a loving
> little guy!! His older brother, Amaretto, died of diabetes and CRF on
> April 7, from which we are all still recovering.
>
> PegNDerek

Ask your vet about Arnica Montana. It helped my Tigger.

mariib via CatKB.com
May 11th 07, 01:23 AM
Peg Caldwell Ott wrote:
>Our wonderful kitty, Alino (pronounced Ah-leen-yo, like the spice) has
>been having some problems with arthritis in his right shoulder for
>just over a year. On the advice of our vet, we have been giving him a
>St. Joseph's children's aspirin once every three days, and that does
>seem to help enormously. He also gets Cosaquin powder mixed into his
>daily food (highly recommended for cats with arthritis) and that helps
>too. But, the problem appears to be becoming worse, especially on the
>third day, before we can give him another aspirin. On those days in
>particular, his limp is very pronounced. The vet says we cannot
>increase the aspirin dose or frequency due to potential liver
>problems--and Alino already has some weird liver values that the vet
>understands to be "normal" for him. Consequently, the vet is
>recommending that we move on to a steriod medication like Prednazone.
>We understand that Alino would have to be without any aspirin at all
>for a week, and that we will have to "load" him with a steriod
>medication for a few days, and then begin to cut it back to see how
>small a dosage we can get away with and still keep Alino comfortable.
>We also understand that steriod medications have side effects,
>including increased drinking and urination--not a problem for Alino
>who does not drink all that much anyway.
>
>Does anyone have experience with arthritis in more senior cats and
>experience with giving the animal steroids? Which medication would you
>recommend? What other side effects should we look for?
>
>Alino is a blue-point Siamese, 16 years old on June 23, with a very
>muscular build and an incredibly sweet disposition--just a loving
>little guy!! His older brother, Amaretto, died of diabetes and CRF on
>April 7, from which we are all still recovering.
>
>PegNDerek

My elderly cat Tigra was on a couple things for her arthritis starting from
when she was 15-16 years old. For 1 - 2 years she got a chewable unflavored
baby aspirin tablet 80 mg ASA every 3 days as your cat does plus a Cosequin
capsule to be sprinkled on her food - can't remember the dose but it was a
veterinary grade. Eventually, her arthritis started slowing her down again,
so having looked up Cosequin dosages per pound on the internet & checking
with our vet, I doubled her Cosequin so she was receiving a capsule sprinkled
in her food both morning & night. Again it provided relief for at least
another year. In her last year when she was almost 20, she was losing weight
& all the muscle mass in her back end & over her shoulders. She began having
mobility problems in spite of the aspirin & Cosequin & she was switched to (I
think) a liquid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory - sorry I don't remember the
name but I think it started with m--- It sort of helped but she was
deteriorating & later lost muscle control of her bladder. She was put to
sleep in Sept 05. Don't make the mistake (as I did for awhile) of switching
to a cheaper source of Cosequin - the glucosamine chondroitin sulphate
because eventually you'll realize it isn't helping the cat, only your wallet.
Do whatever you can to make your cat as comfortable as possible, for as long
as she seems comfortable. Then when it's obvious the end is coming, do it
sooner, not later. Best of luck,
M.

blkcatgal
May 11th 07, 01:32 AM
I think the medication you are referring to is metacam.

"mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> having
> mobility problems in spite of the aspirin & Cosequin & she was switched to
> (I
> think) a liquid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory - sorry I don't remember
> the
> name but I think it started with m--- It sort of helped but she was
> deteriorating & later lost muscle control of her bladder. She was put to
> sleep in Sept 05. Don't make the mistake (as I did for awhile) of
> switching
> to a cheaper source of Cosequin - the glucosamine chondroitin sulphate
> because eventually you'll realize it isn't helping the cat, only your
> wallet.
> Do whatever you can to make your cat as comfortable as possible, for as
> long
> as she seems comfortable. Then when it's obvious the end is coming, do it

Roby
May 11th 07, 01:40 AM
Peg Caldwell Ott wrote:

> Our wonderful kitty, Alino (pronounced Ah-leen-yo, like the spice) has
> been having some problems with arthritis in his right shoulder for
> just over a year. On the advice of our vet, we have been giving him a
> St. Joseph's children's aspirin once every three days, and that does
> seem to help enormously. He also gets Cosaquin powder mixed into his
> daily food (highly recommended for cats with arthritis) and that helps
> too. But, the problem appears to be becoming worse, especially on the
> third day, before we can give him another aspirin. On those days in
> particular, his limp is very pronounced. The vet says we cannot
> increase the aspirin dose or frequency due to potential liver
> problems--and Alino already has some weird liver values that the vet
> understands to be "normal" for him. Consequently, the vet is
> recommending that we move on to a steriod medication like Prednazone.
> We understand that Alino would have to be without any aspirin at all
> for a week, and that we will have to "load" him with a steriod
> medication for a few days, and then begin to cut it back to see how
> small a dosage we can get away with and still keep Alino comfortable.
> We also understand that steriod medications have side effects,
> including increased drinking and urination--not a problem for Alino
> who does not drink all that much anyway.
>
> Does anyone have experience with arthritis in more senior cats and
> experience with giving the animal steroids? Which medication would you
> recommend? What other side effects should we look for?
>
> Alino is a blue-point Siamese, 16 years old on June 23, with a very
> muscular build and an incredibly sweet disposition--just a loving
> little guy!! His older brother, Amaretto, died of diabetes and CRF on
> April 7, from which we are all still recovering.
>
> PegNDerek

I suggest prednisolone rather than prednisone. Prednisone is metabolized
into prednisolone in the liver. Since Alino's liver may be a bit out of
the normal, you're better off with prednisolone. Either drug is available
in tablets as small as 2.5 or 5 mg ... kitty size. You will find them
at a much better price at the local pharmacy than your vet's office, but
you will need a prescription. In my experience, long-term use of an oral
steriod like prednisolone is much less likely to set off diabetes than is
a long-acting injectable steroid like Depo-medrol.

Spot
May 11th 07, 03:13 AM
"While long term use of steriods is not generally recommended sometimes you
have to outweigh the benefits verses the risk. If you can give him a few
more years of a pain free life I personally would do it especially since
aspirin is not helping any longer.

My mother has a cat who has taken steroids her whole life on and off for
another illness not related to arthritis and she's still hanging on there
after 16 years.

Celeste

"Peg Caldwell Ott" > wrote in message

> Our wonderful kitty, Alino (pronounced Ah-leen-yo, like the spice) has
> been having some problems with arthritis in his right shoulder for
> just over a year. On the advice of our vet, we have been giving him a
> St. Joseph's children's aspirin once every three days, and that does
> seem to help enormously. He also gets Cosaquin powder mixed into his
> daily food (highly recommended for cats with arthritis) and that helps
> too. But, the problem appears to be becoming worse, especially on the
> third day, before we can give him another aspirin. On those days in
> particular, his limp is very pronounced. The vet says we cannot
> increase the aspirin dose or frequency due to potential liver
> problems--and Alino already has some weird liver values that the vet
> understands to be "normal" for him. Consequently, the vet is
> recommending that we move on to a steriod medication like Prednazone.
> We understand that Alino would have to be without any aspirin at all
> for a week, and that we will have to "load" him with a steriod
> medication for a few days, and then begin to cut it back to see how
> small a dosage we can get away with and still keep Alino comfortable.
> We also understand that steriod medications have side effects,
> including increased drinking and urination--not a problem for Alino
> who does not drink all that much anyway.
>
> Does anyone have experience with arthritis in more senior cats and
> experience with giving the animal steroids? Which medication would you
> recommend? What other side effects should we look for?
>
> Alino is a blue-point Siamese, 16 years old on June 23, with a very
> muscular build and an incredibly sweet disposition--just a loving
> little guy!! His older brother, Amaretto, died of diabetes and CRF on
> April 7, from which we are all still recovering.
>
> PegNDerek

PawsForThought
May 11th 07, 04:02 PM
On May 10, 10:13 pm, "Spot" > wrote:
> "While long term use of steriods is not generally recommended sometimes you
> have to outweigh the benefits verses the risk. If you can give him a few
> more years of a pain free life I personally would do it especially since
> aspirin is not helping any longer.

I would agree, especially considering the age of your cat. There is
also a "natural" cortisone you can ask your vet about that he would
have to order from a pet pharmacy. It doesn't have the side effects
usually associated with steroids.