PDA

View Full Version : Cost of check-up


barb
May 11th 07, 05:17 PM
What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
kind of floored by the $120 tab.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

MaryL
May 11th 07, 06:10 PM
"barb" > wrote in message
...
> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.
>
>

My last exam cost $30.00 for each cat, but there were no shots.

MaryL

Rene S.
May 11th 07, 07:59 PM
On May 11, 11:17 am, "barb" > wrote:
> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> kind of floored by the $120 tab.

I brought my two cats in last week (one for annual check up, one for a
blood draw only). Total was $157, which included:

$25 exam for cat 1
$19 fecal for cat 1
bloodwork panel for cat 1, including T3 test
"mini" bloodwork panel for cat 2
$4 blood draw charge for cat 2
NO shots, as cat 1 has serious reactions to them

I thought this was reasonable considering both cats had bloodwork of
some sort. I am in southeastern Wisconsin, if this helps.

Rene

cindys
May 11th 07, 08:18 PM
"barb" > wrote in message
...
> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
--------
That doesn't sound the least bit shocking, depending on how many shots the
cat had. My vet charges $42 for the check up and around $35 for each shot.
If you had other stuff (fecal samples, flea treatment, blood work, etc), the
bill goes up. I also get charged $1 for biological waste disposal (i.e. the
service which picks up used syringes).
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

blkcatgal
May 12th 07, 12:36 AM
This is about the same cost at my vet...$45 for the exam and then $30 - $40
per shot. Sometimes my vet doesn't charge for the exam which is kind of
nice.

S.

"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "barb" > wrote in message
> ...
>> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I
>> was
>> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
> --------
> That doesn't sound the least bit shocking, depending on how many shots the
> cat had. My vet charges $42 for the check up and around $35 for each shot.
> If you had other stuff (fecal samples, flea treatment, blood work, etc),
> the bill goes up. I also get charged $1 for biological waste disposal
> (i.e. the service which picks up used syringes).
> Best regards,
> --Cindy S.
>

q
May 12th 07, 05:59 AM
blkcatgal wrote:
> This is about the same cost at my vet...$45 for the exam and then $30 - $40
> per shot. Sometimes my vet doesn't charge for the exam which is kind of
> nice.
>
> S.
>
> "cindys" > wrote in message
> ...
>> "barb" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I
>>> was
>>> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>> --------
>> That doesn't sound the least bit shocking, depending on how many shots the
>> cat had. My vet charges $42 for the check up and around $35 for each shot.
>> If you had other stuff (fecal samples, flea treatment, blood work, etc),
>> the bill goes up. I also get charged $1 for biological waste disposal
>> (i.e. the service which picks up used syringes).
>> Best regards,
>> --Cindy S.
>>
>
>
A close friend of mine (also neighbor) took in a stray that we had both
been feeding. He developed a swollen and discharging eye and sneezing
so he took him to the vet. Vet said he probably had feline herpes as he
may have never been vaccinated. Gave vaccinations and a tube of
Terramyicin for the eye. Sneezing and eye cleared up but four months
later cat still is weeping from that eye even though it doesn't seem to
bother him.

My friend decided to take him to another vet; office staff quoted $45
for the visit so I gave him $20. The visit actually cost $85 because
the vet decided to do a fluorescien test for foreign bodies in the eye
and prescibed a different antibiotic.

Considering the additional test and drug, doesn't seem unreasonable.

Sherry
May 12th 07, 03:54 PM
On May 11, 11:17 am, "barb" > wrote:
> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

That sounds pretty reasonable for around here, if there was any
testing/bloodwork involved. A simple, cursory
exam is $40 at my vet--that's just temperature, visual exam, weight,
etc. Last time I had a blood panel done
in addition to the "exam fee" it was $160.
When the cats are ill, even with a wound or simple URI, the cost of
the drugs shocks me. It's higher than I
pay for prescription drugs sometimes, even *without* the insurance.
Even a tube of Panalog or eye drops
is usually over $20--and I suspect there's a huge mark-up there. (Last
time Boots got a small bottle
of Amoxcillin suspension at $22--and I know human Amoxcillin is
cheaper than that.)
It always shocks me too--I think because I'm so used to paying a co-
pay for *my* doctor visits -- it costs way more
out-of-pocket to take the cat to the vet!
Someday I hope pet insurance evolves to provide better policies than
they do now.

Sherry

MaryL
May 12th 07, 04:17 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 11, 11:17 am, "barb" > wrote:
>> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I
>> was
>> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>>
>> --
>> Barb
>> Of course I don't look busy,
>> I did it right the first time.
>
> That sounds pretty reasonable for around here, if there was any
> testing/bloodwork involved. A simple, cursory
> exam is $40 at my vet--that's just temperature, visual exam, weight,
> etc. Last time I had a blood panel done
> in addition to the "exam fee" it was $160.
> >
> Sherry
>

My last vet visit cost $30.00 for each cat for their annual exams, but I
expect to be hit by a bill more like yours this time (and that will be this
week). Holly will be 12 years old in June, so she should get a blood panel
this time. Duffy is probably 8 years old (estimated to be 3-5 when he was
adopted 3 years ago, but I go on the "older" assumption for vet visits), so
his will probably be less expensive.

MaryL

barb
May 12th 07, 10:49 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I guess the fees are reasonable. This was
just rabies, leukemia, FVR/CPC and check-up. Medical waste a dollar. No
blood work.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

MaryL
May 15th 07, 01:14 AM
"barb" > wrote in message
...
> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>
> --
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.
>
>

Holly and Duffy had their annual exams today. The cost for each cat was
$30.00 for the exam and $70.00 for a full panel blood workup.

MaryL

Sherry
May 15th 07, 03:48 AM
On May 14, 7:14 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "barb" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> > What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> > kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>
> > --
> > Barb
> > Of course I don't look busy,
> > I did it right the first time.
>
> Holly and Duffy had their annual exams today. The cost for each cat was
> $30.00 for the exam and $70.00 for a full panel blood workup.
>
> MaryL

Hope they were both pronounced "fit as a fiddle."!

Sherry

sheelagh
May 15th 07, 04:30 PM
On 15 May, 01:14, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "barb" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> > What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I was
> > kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>
> > --
> > Barb
> > Of course I don't look busy,
> > I did it right the first time.
>
> Holly and Duffy had their annual exams today. The cost for each cat was
> $30.00 for the exam and $70.00 for a full panel blood workup.
>
> MaryL

Mary, I think that is amazingly good value for money. The last time I
took one of the cats for an examination had a full panel of bloods
done, it cost me 20 consultation fee, & a further 39 for the full
panel of bloods too. with almost $2 to the 1, that cost me around
$120. That seems quite expensive to me.
S;o)

cindys
May 15th 07, 05:17 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
...
>
> "barb" > wrote in message
> ...
>> What's the going rate these days for a well cat check up and shots? I
>> was
>> kind of floored by the $120 tab.
>>
>> --
>> Barb
>> Of course I don't look busy,
>> I did it right the first time.
>>
>>
>
> Holly and Duffy had their annual exams today. The cost for each cat was
> $30.00 for the exam and $70.00 for a full panel blood workup.
-------
I think you got off cheap. My vet charges $42 for the checkup and $100 for a
full panel blood workup. I hope both cats are healthy.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.